• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations - Happy

DJ_Lae

I really enjoyed Generations, and I'm not a particularly big Sonic fan. My only complaint with it is that the final boss is a festering pile of shit, which is weird as everything that came before is mostly decent to great.

I should fire up the PC version sometime and see how it looks.

Tailzo

I fully agree, Generations was awesome. I've bought it for ps3, 3ds and pc. The mods for pc are a nice bonus too :)

Rizzi

I really liked the sidescroller levels in Generations. I've never been a fan of the 3D Sonic games though, so I kind of wished the whole thing was the older style.

It's a spectacular game a real love letter to Sonic fans, which really was surprising coming from Sonic Tesm after years of less than perfect games. I played this game to its maximum and I really do think it's one of the best games of the generation, especially if you are a Sonic fan. Some levels are better than others ( planet whisp is easily the worst, which is sad since it's the best in Colors) but the overall package is great.

It's actually one of the few gaming soundtracks that I own the physical copy of. Don't regret the purchase at all, it's by far my favorite OST from a game ever.

Really enjoyed all the threads. Congrats on finishing this long franchise!

Dreaming of a Generations 2

h58428D86

Hands down this is my favorite Sonic game thus far.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
the best part about these games were definitely the remixed music. And the 3ds game was, mediocre, but at least it wasn't as aggravatingly bad as the console counterpart.

Nohar

Dreaming of a Generations 2

h58428D86

Hands down this is my favorite Sonic game thus far.

... Be right back. I need to find an Hedgehog. Now. For no particular reasons.

I wish they would release another good Sonic game. Generations was truly magic (despite a rather disappointing last boss - up until that fight, the game was truly excellent).

OmegaDL50

Someone found a way to mod all of the day time levels from Unleashed into the PC version of Sonic Generations.

One interesting thing about Generations being that it's apparently running a revised and improved variant of the Hedgehog engine that Unleashed was on which is why the level data could be ported over.

What makes this particularly noteworthy is that there isn't a PC version of Sonic Unleashed, so for those that never owned the PS3 or 360 game, this is the only way for a PC owner to experience the Day Time stages in that game.

This fan made add-on is definitely adds some worthwhile content to the Sonic Generations experience.

You can check out the details here - http://www.sonicretro.org/2016/03/retro-spotlight-unleashed-project-2-0/

And the latest footage of the project here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hgibtlkMPw

Caronte

I'll never understand why they went in a different direction with the series when most people seemed to like Generations.

I'll never understand why they went in a different direction with the series when most people seemed to like Generations.

The game was expensive to make. Then, at least early on, it didn't even outsell colours, despite being on PC/ps3.360 +3ds. And I suspect a not insignificant amount of the sales ended up being the 3ds version in the end anyway. And then it was supposed to be a big anniversary game, so who knows how many sales it would lose if it wasn't for that extra marketing from that.

Not having a Wii version of generations was quite baffling, really.

Zalman

They nailed the 3D gameplay with this one. They should've just built and expanded upon it. Instead they went for Sonic Lost World.

Next game will be interesting.

IrishNinja

fantastic OP as ever!

im really puzzled by the lack of DLC we got here...honestly, there's more than enough levels to make a whole other game, too

They nailed the 3D gameplay with this one. They should've just built and expanded upon it. Instead they went for Sonic Lost World.

I thinits a combination of Wii u absolutely shat the bed in terms of console userbase size and the other console audiences combined were less willing to buy generations than the Wii base was colours, udging from early sales. Despite being a bug anniversary game, vs colours almost coming from nowhere.

It sucks, but I'm not surprised at all that Sega wouldn't have been in a rush to greenlight another expensive gotta go fast game.

OmegaDL50

... Falk? Like, our puzzle maniac, newly moderator, always with a perplexing face Falk?

Yeah, from what I understand he always dabbled with music arrangement stuff. I think he worked with Video Game Orchestra.

Edit: Yeah I can confirm this for certainty, he has the VGO link on his profile page.

Music arranger and new GAF mod Falk are definitely the same person.

Mr Swine

Banned
Fantastic 3D Sonic game all around!

No, I'm tired of the 3D gameplay from Unleashed to Generations even if it is good and I would love if they expanded on the Lost World gameplay instead. Tweak it a bit and make Sonic run faster

HUELEN10

It's a great game, but it's still a disappointment to me after Unleashed. It fixes a lot of what IMO Colors bastardized, but it is still not quite back up to par. If Unleashed was an A+, and Colors was a C, Generations would be an A-... and I think that would be a fair assessment.

Like, why did they have to put homing on the same button? Why did the fuck up the rail grinding controls? And you can't crawl! They messed with success. :(

As a fan, it seriously pains me that people find this game to be better than Unleashed. I'm going like, what the actual fuck, in my mind.

Joeku

Peel me from the speed
Tear me from the ring
Does it make you go fast now?

I'm happy with this game.

Nesther

Thanks for these series of threads OP. Fun to read.
Man I should replay Generations, I had some good times with it! Like you said, they nailed both the classic and modern gameplay aspects.

Yeah great threads.Generations was a great Sonic,id love a sequel.Why oh why didn't they stick to Generations formula.Or just tweak it a little for the better

There was no gaming feeling in recent memory like hitting that first slope in Chemical plant classic and Sonic going so fast he begins to outrun the screen, just like in the original.

For me, that was the best moment in the game and really made generations something specia;l

LordCiego

Great series of posts.

Generations was the first Sonic game I enjoyed in a long Time, it still has some things that irk me a little, like some physics and the now classical bottomless pits but was very enjoyable. The first hour of the game playing Green Hill, Chemical Zone and Sky Sanctuary put the biggest smile on my face just for the nostalgia factor alone.

Shame on you for not posting City Escape Classic, great version with a percussion point that its the beggining of the invincible power up sfx.

xzeldax3

I've enjoyed your series of Sonic threads a lot! Generations is a great game and I still jump back in it occasionally. The soundtrack will always be on my phone.

marmoka

Banned
I need to play this game for the Nth time!

Have you tried the Unleashed mod for PC? It's awesome!

My third favorite Sonic game.

gerudoman

I'm currently playing it for the first time and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I'm liking it, specially considering the only Sonic games I've beaten and liked are the Rush ones and Advance 1, so I have no nostalgia whatsoever for the classics.

Wish I could play the PC version, though. The PS3 one runs very poorly and I can see how greatly it would benefit from the 60PFS.

It's a great game, but it's still a disappointment to me after Unleashed. It fixes a lot of what IMO Colors bastardized, but it is still not quite back up to par. If Unleashed was an A+, and Colors was a C, Generations would be an A-... and I think that would be a fair assessment.

Like, why did they have to put homing on the same button? Why did the fuck up the rail grinding controls? And you can't crawl! They messed with success. :(

As a fan, it seriously pains me that people find this game to be better than Unleashed. I'm going like, what the actual fuck, in my mind.

Because they just werent good at it.

Ignoring the warehog, I dont know how you can prefer modern generations stages to Unleashed day stages if you really know how to control Sonic at top speed.

This

https://youtu.be/p7IYdCwuog0

in no way compares for this

https://youtu.be/JVcKhKCALCg

For sheer white knuckle rush of speed.

Alot of the criticism of modern (boost) sonic in general boils down to "I dont have the reaction speed for this game design, therefore its not good".

Wish I could play the PC version, though. The PS3 one runs very poorly and I can see how greatly it would benefit from the 60PFS.

The PC port, with the Unleashed project mod, is the defintive version of the game and probably the best Sonic game of all time, inculding the classics.

Id only give Sonic 2 the edge because of the Boss fights in generations (and unleashed) are awful.

I wish they would release another good Sonic game. Generations was truly magic (despite a rather disappointing last boss - up until that fight, the game was truly excellent).

Well, what do you think they've been trying to do? Lost World came out 2 and ½ years ago on Wii U, and there were signs that didn't even have their full attention. Booms were overseen by them, but I don't think they did any sort of bulk of development.

Unless they're doing things for the Olypics games, Boom aside, they've been working towards an unannounced title for two years now. Maybe it'll turn out to not be a Sonic game, but I doubt that.

Nokterian

Someone found a way to mod all of the day time levels from Unleashed into the PC version of Sonic Generations.

One interesting thing about Generations being that it's apparently running a revised and improved variant of the Hedgehog engine that Unleashed was on which is why the level data could be ported over.

What makes this particularly noteworthy is that there isn't a PC version of Sonic Unleashed, so for those that never owned the PS3 or 360 game, this is the only way for a PC owner to experience the Day Time stages in that game.

This fan made add-on is definitely adds some worthwhile content to the Sonic Generations experience.

You can check out the details here - http://www.sonicretro.org/2016/03/retro-spotlight-unleashed-project-2-0/

And the latest footage of the project here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hgibtlkMPw

There doing a 2.0? Awesome going to play it since 1.0 was already great. I love sonic generations still my favorite sonic game to date.

Village

This is a good game. Story is wack but its good.

Dont know why they didn't realease character dlc and stage dlc. The desire seems to be there , or just make another one of these with all that included. People cleary desire more of this and more content with in. But, they just left it. They just, gone.

I just dont understanding, sega's " this is a good thing, lets stop doing it" they do this multiple times in the history of sonic.

Another nice part of Sonic Generations is the ability to play through Unleashed as Metal Sonic.

Now that you mention it they were definitely the weakest part of the entire game. I especially remember the final boss being really crappy

I just ignore that the Final Boss even exists. The game ends after Egg Dragoon.

Metal Sonic and Chaos were fun fights. Especially Chaos, since they basically recreated the original fight.

Dont know why they didn't realease character dlc and stage dlc. The desire seems to be there , or just make another one of these with all that included. People cleary desire more of this and more content with in. But, they just left it. They just, gone.
I don't know either. Especially since, for Metal Sonic, Shadow and Silver, they had the assets already made for three potential full DLC stages.

Stardust Speedway (Bad Future)
Space Gadget
Crisis City (Alternate)

Modders also had a 100% full working Metal Sonic mod out within a year or so, so I imagine a real dev team could have pumped that out faster. Along with Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Blaze and Silver, who also all have assets already in the game.

MrBadger

Rather than repeating the praise for Gens, I'd like to talk about the 3DS version and how I actually really enjoyed it despite recognising that it's a huge missed opportunity. Sonic has plenty of handheld-specific zones worth representing, and several handheld-specific rivals too like Blaze and Gemerl that could have replaced Metal Sonic, Shadow and Silver. The core gameplay is there and the final boss is far, far better than the console version, but it would've been nice if it wasn't so rushed.

This is a good game. Story is wack but its good.

I just dont understanding, sega's " this is a good thing, lets stop doing it" they do this multiple times in the history of sonic.

I was more confused when they announced that Classic Sonic would be a one-time thing for the anniversary. Here they have this gameplay style and character design that everybody likes, and they're too stubborn to just keep making games based on it.

The spindash was so powerful in this game. A little too powerful.

But I loved Generations, so much so that I wouldn't stop playing it until I Platinum trophied that bad boy.

The best/only good 3d Sonic, imo. I loved it, I managed to get obscenely high on the leader boards too... like top 100 in many levels.

Piers

That's like convincing someone to play SA2 because of how good it is without telling them about the Tails/Knuckles stages they'll be forced into playing along the way.
The daytime stages really were top-form but the actual journey to play them all is seriously hampered by how dull the Werehog is. Generations and Colours at least cut the fat out.

I can't believe that they dumped this gameplay style for Sonic Lost World, this game nailed it.

Sonic Team has a nasty habit of taking what works, tossing it out for no reason, and starting fresh with garbage until it gets further refined into something of quality, and then it's tossed out again. That's the real Sonic Cycle.

Honestly I think Classic Sonic is better off mute. Jaleel White hardly knocked it out of the park when he voiced that fan film.

I think with actual professional acting and voice direction for the actual game, it would have been better than that performance.

Stalk

I have a soft spot for the 3DS version to be honest, it's so janky and broken that it's kinda fun. You can sequence break some levels since you can jump out of layers in loops, discovered it when I was messing around in GHZ1 Classic and jumped on the loop and went through the ground hah.

Also the way you gain speed when you jump, roll, jump, roll as classic is insane.

MrBadger

I can actually see why they did what they did with Lost World. The Generations gameplay requires a lot of resources and Sonic's moveset limits what the level design can be so ultimately you'd just keep getting short, samey games padded out with alternate gameplay styles like the boring werehog and hit-and-miss Colours 2D stages. Slowing down Sonic and introducing speed tiers to allow more platforming was a smart move. They just fucked up the execution.

I think with actual professional acting and voice direction for the actual game, it would have been better than that performance.

Maybe, but I've never particularly liked him as Sonic anyway. Plus Classic Sonic is just such a visually expressive character so I don't think he needs to talk.

J@hranimo

Banned
Generations was such a blast. Rough around the edges here and there and definitely needed more Classic Sonic love and bosses, but STILL I love it too death.

also Rooftop Run Act 1 is the most upbeat, cheerful, bubbly, happy song in the game :D

Top Bottom