• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World characters teaser image: "Six will rise from the Lost World"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SykoTech

Going by the chains on most of their arms, I'm going to say enemies. Probably something akin to the Koopalings or...something.

I'm good with that. Sonic needs more villains, and less friends.

Tuck

So this isn't going to be a mainline Sonic, and is going to be more a Secret Rings/Black Knight/Colors spinoff thing?

Colors wasn't a spin off. Secret Rings/Black Knight were part of the story book set of games, which they stopped doing because Black Knight was so poorly received.

Unleashed > Colors > Generations (And now Lost World) are the games that pretty much restarted Sonic's momentum and quality.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Me too! It definitely reminds me of the different kinds of wisps! Maybe Sonic will acquire these 6 characters' abilities? Ooh! Or maybe if they're bosses, Sonic will acquire their powers after defeating them, a la Mega Man?!

Now I'll be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

RagnarokX

They're most likely allies. The one on the right is some kind of grandpa wizened leader character. It's probably an evolution of Sonic Dimensions:

So what’s the gimmick this time? TSSZ has learned Dimensions’s storyline will center around another time-space continuum shift at the hands of Eggman that not only alters Sonic’s world, but himself. Sonic will allegedly split into multiple personalities denoted by color–each of which having their own unique abilities. That’s right, if this holds, recolored Sonics are now a reality.

In addition to the main Sonic, which will remain blue and act as a core uniting “ghost” of sorts in-game, we’re told there will be five other colors: Red, Orange, Purple, Green, and Yellow. We were told very specific things about each Sonic. Red Sonic, for example, can cause explosions to presumably open up new areas, but has a slow speed and a short jump. Purple Sonic, allegedly parodying Shadow and Silver, will be able to move platforms and float, with the dark nonsensical attitude to boot. And perhaps the most interesting tidbit: our sources compared the Orange personality to Big the Cat, a lumbering hedgehog even slower than his red counterpart…until he’s powered up. There is also a yellow Sonic–not a Super Sonic–that will be the fastest of them all, but take damage easily. The source alleges only two of the personalities can be used in-stage, but all may be able to combine and act as an equivalent Super Guide. The White Sonic allegedly pops up as an option after dying in a stage a certain number of times. Using it guarantees the lowest rank at the end.

You have 5 characters like you have 5 in NSMBU. Probably you can't play as all 5 at once (the grandpa one probably not all), but you play as the 5 on the left plus Sonic and switch between to navigate the levels. Second from the left throws projectiles, next one can jump really high, next can throw heavy punches.

Sonic Colors was good, but I wasn't a fan of the wisps; I felt they were used too much and detracted from the core gameplay. Planet Wisp is the worst level in Generations because of wisps.

Young Bowser?

My favorite Rapper's favorite Rapper.

One on the left is the token anthropomorphic female that gets lots of fan fiction written attention.

Confirmed for Rule 34.

So, more shitty friends then, basically.

Everyday's a new adventure, on each adventure, you make new friends. There will always be shitty friends.

Deal with it.

Just hope that if you have to play with them, they're fun.

Slygmous

Why are Sonic enemies all curvy/pointy lately? They remind me of the awful demon things in Unleashed.
I kinda miss beating up on clunky boxy machines.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Actually, they're all Sonic.

Even the girl.

They're most likely allies. The one on the right is some kind of grandpa wizened leader character. It's probably an evolution of Sonic Dimensions:

So what’s the gimmick this time? TSSZ has learned Dimensions’s storyline will center around another time-space continuum shift at the hands of Eggman that not only alters Sonic’s world, but himself. Sonic will allegedly split into multiple personalities denoted by color–each of which having their own unique abilities. That’s right, if this holds, recolored Sonics are now a reality.

In addition to the main Sonic, which will remain blue and act as a core uniting “ghost” of sorts in-game, we’re told there will be five other colors: Red, Orange, Purple, Green, and Yellow. We were told very specific things about each Sonic. Red Sonic, for example, can cause explosions to presumably open up new areas, but has a slow speed and a short jump. Purple Sonic, allegedly parodying Shadow and Silver, will be able to move platforms and float, with the dark nonsensical attitude to boot. And perhaps the most interesting tidbit: our sources compared the Orange personality to Big the Cat, a lumbering hedgehog even slower than his red counterpart…until he’s powered up. There is also a yellow Sonic–not a Super Sonic–that will be the fastest of them all, but take damage easily. The source alleges only two of the personalities can be used in-stage, but all may be able to combine and act as an equivalent Super Guide. The White Sonic allegedly pops up as an option after dying in a stage a certain number of times. Using it guarantees the lowest rank at the end.

You have 5 characters like you have 5 in NSMBU. Probably you can't play as all 5 at once (the grandpa one probably not all), but you play as the 4 on the left plus Sonic and switch between to navigate the levels. Second from the left throws projectiles, next one can jump really high, next can throw heavy punches.

Sonic Colors was good, but I wasn't a fan of the wisps; I felt they were used too much and detracted from the core gameplay. Planet Wisp is the worst level in Generations because of wisps.

Yeaaaaaaaah that sounds like this looks. Gonna go with that. So either the shadows are different forms for Sonic or they ditched that idea and they're new allies.

sinseers

Why in the world are they showing shadows of possible foes that on one knows? Is this supposed to shock or surprise anyone? I dont get what they are trying to do here. Shroud these guess in some kind of mystery? If they are unknowns, which it certainly looks to be the case, then hiding them behind shadows serves no purpose. I.E- There's no big payoff.

Kokonoe

Banned
Why in the world are they showing shadows of possible foes that on one knows? Is this supposed to shock or surprise anyone? I dont get what they are trying to do here. Shroud these guess in some kind of mystery? If they are unknowns, which it certainly looks to be the case, then hiding them behind shadows serves no purpose. I.E- There's no big payoff.

GeIbuJt.jpg

Azure J

Ohhhhh, I literally just caught this distinction as I cut out the post and started replying. I thought you said Planet Wisp was the worst level in Colors because of the Wisps and was about to ask what kinda stuff you're on. :p

I felt like the Wisps were well utilized through Colors and helped to bring back the multi-tiered sprawling level design that had been missing in the series since Sonic 3 and Knuckles. That's a long assed time ago. Generations was just trying to emulate the feel more than design around it, especially since they had so much other content to juggle around and make "work" going from Green Hill forward. Interestingly enough, I feel like Generations was more focused in the design from the earlier levels versus some of the later ones with Planet Wisp being the most obviously rickshaw'd.

liquidtmd

Banned
Sega

"Because Generations simple back to basics approach was well received...we decided....to bring back...

BIG THE CAT!!!"

NotLiquid

Gee, Sonic Team will never learn... I thought they were done with adding new characters no one cares about.

I don't know how anyone can tolerate Sonic recycling itself over and over. Sonic Generations was so dull and predictable because of it (gameplay excluded), so was Sonic 4. It's making the franchise even more predictable and trite than ever.

Colors was so much better in that regard, not because of the Wisps but because of the new atmosphere. If they want to introduce a new character, let them. It's not like the Sonic universe exists in a bubble, besides the series now has writers who can actually write worth a damn.

Taker666

I was hoping it would be dinosaur based. :(

Having said that ...most Sonic enemies are pretty non-descript so a few higher profile ones won't go amiss.

Even if they turn out to be shitty friends ..at least they look a bit more inventive than the current shitty friends.

Berordn

Gee, Sonic Team will never learn... I thought they were done with adding new characters no one cares about.

New characters in Sonic games are totally self-contained now. The Wisps haven't appeared outside Colors, and Chip died alongside Unleashed.

Lijik

Who gives a fuck about new characters as long as you dont play as them
Name one major platforming franchise that doesnt add new characters each game.
The only entry I can think of off the top of my head is Mario 3D Land.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Who gives a fuck about new characters as long as you dont play as them
Name one major platforming franchise that doesnt add new characters each game.
The only entry I can think of off the top of my head is Mario 3D Land.

That added Pom-Pom.

But yeah, I always thought the knee-jerk reaction to Sonic adding any new characters is kind of odd. These just appear to be Boss characters to freshen things up a bit, I don't mind that and don't see an issue with it.

Tsunamo

Definitely getting colours vibes from the world and now these six characters. I'm assuming they'll be enemys, but will eventually become friends/you'll get their abilitys after you defeat them.

Looking forward to seeing more on the 29th.

Do you know what a teaser is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom