• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Looking at the Gens and LW shots, textures do look better in LW, I hope it's so and using the extra RAM for it. If so and this runs at a smooth 60fps, I would call this a next-gen Sonic visually.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that Sonic has ever really had good bosses. There are a few okay fights scattered across the games, but the rest range from boring to terrible.

That's why Cream should be made playable more often. Cheese attack until dead.

Just to cut to a potential show-stopper for me, is there any confirmation if this is 60fps or not? Fucking better be after the Sonic Generations debacle.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
But does it bother you when it happens in the classic Sonic games?

By and large it really doesn't happen in the classic games. I mean yeah, it happens in modern 2D Sonics, but I replay Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K probably twice a year at least, and sections where the game allows you to build up speed and then suddenly slams you into a wall (or a set of spikes or whatever) are...well...I can't think of many. The game far more often either placed an enemy in your way, which you can burst through if you're rolling, or else it does something with the geometry to gradually bring you to a halt, such as launching you upwards and having you land or using a half loop to neuter your momentum.

Damn, both versions look ace. Loved the Wii U trailer, too.

After playing through Generations, I'm kind of jealous this isn't coming to PC. :(

Nekki

This game looks great. I was afraid about it being Sonic Galaxy, but I liked what I've seen. Will hold off a proper opinion until we see more of it, but I'm positive.

Kinda off-topic, but what was that "Nice info on an existing 3DS game tomorrow night" that wouldn't be "too mind-blowing" that was tweeted like a week ago?? I never found out what that was about. And since this happenned in a similar way with IGN, I thought it would be the best place to ask.

images

I think I will wait for more gameplay footage.

Spinluck

For those saying that Sonic Team perfected the 3D Sonic formula, go back and play Modern Sonic Rooftop run or Planet Wisp. Unless you play them daily you will be absolutely awful, my point? The games were really really fun, but were way too heavy on trial and error for their own good.

The games encourage speed, but a lot of the time you never know when it is indeed safe or clear to boost. And would sometimes be punished for boosting, unless you knew the stage well, you won't be having a good time. Sonic Unleashed was a huge culprit of this, I know because I platinumed both Unleashed and Generations.

EDIT: I'm glad they're still experimenting different things with franchise. Like one poster said, there are no games out there like the last 3 main Sonics, really unique platformers. And lol at the no shitty friends (at least the people who are serious about it), as if his friends were the problems during his digression.

tsumineko

It really looks like what 3D Sonic should have been all along. No human world bullcrap, it's the graphical style of the traditional Sonic world in 3D. I'm impressed, especially after how good Sonic Generations was.

Everyday I'm more and more considering buying a Wii U. I'll most definitely pick up the 3DS version, at least.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This game looks great. I was afraid about it being Sonic Galaxy, but I liked what I've seen. Will hold off a proper opinion until we see more of it, but I'm positive.

Kinda off-topic, but what was that "Nice info on an existing 3DS game tomorrow night" that wouldn't be "too mind-blowing" that was tweeted like a week ago?? I never found out what that was about. And since this happenned in a similar way with IGN, I thought it would be the best place to ask.

It was Animal Crossing: New Leaf related. Some journalists were able to visit the houses created by the developers of the gamewith the spotpass function (I believe).

NotLiquid

Just to cut to a potential show-stopper for me, is there any confirmation if this is 60fps or not? Fucking better be after the Sonic Generations debacle.

There was a debacle? I thought it was obvious it was going to run 30 based off of earlier Sonic games before it (ignoring the PC version).

That said, it's possible that it's 60fps. The game looks better than the console versions of Generations and Unleashed, probably because it looks like it's 720p as opposed to the former which were rendered at a sub-resolution. They're probably going to push what they can out of the Wii U so I'm hoping for 60fps too.

I think a deciding factor may be if it runs on Hedgehog Engine or not. For consoles it sort of bottlenecks the framerate, but this game doesn't really look like it needs that due to the Galaxy like level set up. Of course I may be wrong since we've only seen one level.

I didn't know the classic games had QTEs.

I didn't know Unleashed did either. I didn't know he was literally talking about quick time events and not about having to act to quickly before hitting a wall. I didn't know that never happened in the classic games with extreme regularity. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways, qq.

Daingurse

For those saying that Sonic Team perfected the 3D Sonic formula, go back and play Modern Sonic Rooftop run or Planet Wisp. Unless you play them daily you will be absolutely awful, my point? The games were really really fun, but were way too heavy on trial and error for their own good.

The games encourage speed, but a lot of the time you never know when it is indeed safe or clear to boost. And would sometimes be punished for boosting, unless you knew the stage well, you won't be having a good time. Sonic Unleashed was a huge culprit of this, I know because I platinumed both Unleashed and Generations.

Sonic has been about trial and error since the very beginning. The original classics relied on momentum based gameplay and by doing well you were rewarded with speed. This is nothing new. Bottomless pits out of nowhere is fucking Sonic.

708b2f392dbbe9f60daebbea0a232bf4.jpg

The Technomancer

Sonic has been about trial and error since the very beginning. The original classics relied on momentum based gameplay and by doing well you were rewarded with speed. This is nothing new. Bottomless pits out of nowhere is fucking Sonic.

It really really isn't. I'm struggling to think of bottomless pits outside of perhaps two or three zones where it was thematically appropriate.

NotLiquid

The modern 3D games are anything but momentum based though, unless the rewarding momentum equals hitting a button and instantly gaining top speeds, obliterating everything in your straightforward path. There are no momentum physics at all, you either boost or you don't.

A lot of moments in Unleashed and Generations are straight up frustrating since they encourage you to go so fast, yet throw some cheap difficulty block in the way. The older games were fast, yes, but most of the time you'd still go at a regular enough pace and with the exception of some bullshit moments in Sonic 2, they were still largely fair. If you were worried about where you were going, you curl up in a ball and you barely get screwed over. In fact, you'd tend to go faster of it sometimes.

There was a debacle? I thought it was obvious it was going to run 30 based off of earlier Sonic games before it (ignoring the PC version).

That said, it's possible that it's 60fps. The game looks better than the console versions of Generations and Unleashed, probably because it looks like it's 720p as opposed to the former which were rendered at a sub-resolution. They're probably going to push what they can out of the Wii U so I'm hoping for 60fps too.

I think a deciding factor may be if it runs on Hedgehog Engine or not. For consoles it sort of bottlenecks the framerate, but this game doesn't really look like it needs that due to the Galaxy like level set up. Of course I may be wrong since we've only seen one level.

What was the exact native resolution of Unleashed and Gens (PS360)?

The game far more often either placed an enemy in your way, which you can burst through if you're rolling, or else it does something with the geometry to gradually bring you to a halt, such as launching you upwards and having you land or using a half loop to neuter your momentum.

This does happen a lot though, and it does slow you down. Also, you can't see every step that's ahead of you in time, so unless you have the zone layout memorized you are bound to have a head-on collision some element of the stage's topography.

The Technomancer

Yes it is. Mystic Caves spike pit, off the top of my head. And it wasn't appropriate at all either, just cheap BS.

Mystic cave spike pit. Some pits in Ice Cap zone. Some pits in Hill Top zone. Thaaaats all that's springing to mind. The oil in Oil Ocean doesn't count, that stuff was a joke to get out of.

This does happen a lot though, and it does slow you down. Also, you can't see every step that's ahead of you in time, so unless you have the zone layout memorized you are bound to have a head-on collision some element of the stage's topography.

The problem isn't being taken from fast speed to slow speed. Its being taken from fast speed to slow speed in a sudden jarring collision that (in the case of spikes) often cost you rings.

Skyzard

Banned
Color me impressed...I can barely make it to the end without my time being 8 or 9 mins lol.

Same with me...even when using save states it ends up happening on the first or second run lol (and I have to restart-not enough time to finish).

It gave me a lot more respect for the pyramid makers when I was younger :p Level was too damn complex.

Daingurse

Mystic cave spike pit. Some pits in Ice Cap zone. Some pits in Hill Top zone. Thaaaats all that's springing to mind. The oil in Oil Ocean doesn't count, that stuff was a joke to get out of.

My point, is Sonic is a trial and error game overall. It has always rewarded memorization and playing through stages multiple times with speed and it always will. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.

Spinluck

708b2f392dbbe9f60daebbea0a232bf4.jpg

In a way, all platformers have a trial and error feel to them. I can go back and play through all the Genesis Sonic's, and do well. Without having to remember every knick and cranny of the stage, but rely solely on how good I am at platformers.

Top Bottom