• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

TheOGB

Banned
Yes it is. Mystic Caves spike pit, off the top of my head. And it wasn't appropriate at all either, just cheap BS.
...Well if it had spikes, then it wasn't bottomless, was it?

Smartass response aside, play Sonic 2 and then Sonic Advance 1 or 2 immediately after. You'll see the difference. (Adv2 has a bottomless pit in every zone, I think. Let's check that.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My point, is Sonic is a trial and error game overall. It has always rewarded memorization and playing through stages multiple times with speed and it always will. I don't see anything wrong with that.

It rewarded memorization to get through stages quickly. But punishing the player by hurting them or dropping them down pits was not at all characteristic of the old level design.

I'm hoping that this game gets people excited for it just as it is Sonic fans, because these are the type of 2nd/3rd party games Nintendo are gonna need to sell their system. Seeing a great Sonic game standing tall next to the likes of Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros. should do wonders to sell the Wii U, so I'm hoping that this isn't going to be brushed off as "just another Sonic", but as one of the Wii U's big new games.

Daingurse

...Well if it had spikes, then it wasn't bottomless, was it?

Smartass response aside, play Sonic 2 and then Sonic Advance 1 or 2 immediately after. You'll see the difference. (Adv2 has a bottomless pit in every zone, I think. Let's check that.)

It's mechanically a bottomless pit, it's death. But you know what I'm saying.

RagnarokX

Sonic has been about trial and error since the very beginning. The original classics relied on momentum based gameplay and by doing well you were rewarded with speed. This is nothing new. Bottomless pits out of nowhere is fucking Sonic.

708b2f392dbbe9f60daebbea0a232bf4.jpg

Uh, no. Sonic 1 was rife with pits, but in Sonic 2 and 3 they were rather rare. You're thinking of 3D Sonic and Dimps Sonic.

That pit in Mystic Cave is an exception, not the rule.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm hoping that this game gets people excited for it just as it is Sonic fans, because these are the type of 2nd/3rd party games Nintendo are gonna need to sell their system. Seeing a great Sonic game standing tall next to the likes of Mario, Zelda, and Smash Bros. should do wonders to sell the Wii U, so I'm hoping that this isn't going to be brushed off as "just another Sonic", but as one of the Wii U's big new games.

I think the amount of care being put into this one will definitely change a few more people's mind about Wii U and Sonic than the last two entries have. (which were good games)

Mariolee

Really love that it seems like the levels were be formed due to gameplay mechanics rather than relying on asthetics. It's hard to describe, but it seemed like previous Sonic games relied far more on looking pretty than being fun. If the animals coming back is any indication, this really is a sort of back-to-basics type of Sonic.

Lijik

That's one thing, recent Sonic games have had trouble with boss battles. I don't want them to get rid of them, but I am hoping they somehow find a way to make interesting boss battles. Its such a weird thing since Sonic Team used to be really good with boss battles.

I dont know what happens during the execution, because a lot of the recent boss battles have really interesting concepts and design ideas that fall flat when you actually play them.
Boss fights like the Rotatron, Perfect Chaos, and the Egg Dragoon sound really fun and neat if you were to describe them. Then you play them and they turn out kind of iffy.

I don't think that Sonic has ever really had good bosses. There are a few okay fights scattered across the games, but the rest range from boring to terrible.

That's why Cream should be made playable more often. Cheese attack until dead.
I've got to agree for the most part, and that includes the spoiler.
I do enjoy most of Sonic CD's take on bosses though.

As for bottomless pits in early Sonic titles, they're mostly pit free, which is also why Wing Fortress is a pile of poop that arrives in time to tarnish the end of Sonic 2.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
3D really helped Mario bossfights. Good example here.

I said with a few exceptions. :p Mario 64 and the Galaxy games had some cool ones as well, but ultimately the majority of them are so easy that the just aren't that memorable.

My favorite Mario boss battle actually is the final bowser battle of NSMBWii. A twist on a classic battle that at the time was pretty darn surprising and mind-blowing (IMO).

Frodo

Now that I've seen the screenshots I quite like the square grass! :D

Looking good! Hope it plays well too! Call me interested.

JavyOO7

I hope it turns out great. Last Sonic I played was Sonic Adventure 2 for GCN. I hear Colors and Generations were pretty stronk in regards to the earlier Sonic titles. Might look into this one...

My point, is Sonic is a trial and error game overall. It has always rewarded memorization and playing through stages multiple times with speed and it always will. I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.

The reward for memorizing stages in the classic games was usually a shorter route throughout the level. If you failed, well, it was going to take you slightly longer to get through the level.

The reward in the later 2D games was, well... not dying. If you fail, tough shit buddy, you just lost a life.

Daingurse

Mystic Cave's spike pit was bullshit but you have to be kidding me if you think Sonic 2 and 3 had pits everywhere.

Gimmicks, enemies and spikes would have been a more appropriate thing to say. Tons of stuff kills your speed till you have a feel for a stage.

qq more

Gimmicks, enemies, spikes would have been a more appropriate thing to say. Tons of stuff kills your speed till you have a feel for a stage.

I don't recall constantly running into enemies just because I'm running. Their placement is usually fair (although there are some exceptions)

Did Sonic CD have any bottomless pits? I don't remember falling anywhere to die.

Come to think of it... I can't recall any either.

Sub-720p. 880x720 exactly for Unleashed I believe. Not sure about Generations but considering they're built off of the same engine and look similar, they ought to be identical.

Woah.

Get this shit on 1280x720 + AA + 60fps and we got Next Gen Sonic folks.

The weaker graphics (mostly lower polys in places like the yellow disco moon thing) and obviously the sheer simplicity ala Mario Galaxy should allow it, plus consider the much more subtle lighting. We could be seeing a focus on how what's there is presented, not how good the stuff that's there is.

I'll pour some tea for all the headaches I just caused. XD

Much prefer cleaner graphics than uber detail that's muddy and dragging the framerate.

ffdgh

The only sonic game I'll say that had an insane amount of pits is sonic advance 2. Especially finding those special stage rings...

Did Sonic CD have any bottomless pits? I don't remember falling anywhere to die.

There's a really awful one right near the end of the game before the final boss but that aside I think it's actually pit free now I think about it.
The exploration focus of CD wouldn't really mesh well with pits,
and it doesn't mesh well with the gameplay the game has anyway

Oersted

I said with a few exceptions. :p Mario 64 and the Galaxy games had some cool ones as well, but ultimately the majority of them are so easy that the just aren't that memorable.

My favorite Mario boss battle actually is the final bowser battle of NSMBWii. A twist on a classic battle that at the time was pretty darn surprising and mind-blowing (IMO).

I just tried to explain my point, I know we are not really disagreeing with each other^^.

Ein Bear

I'd love it to be 60fps too, but Sonic has been a technical mess ever since Sonic Adventure 2. The 'Hedgehog Engine' they've been using on the most recent titles is godawful. (Though the games it's been powering have been awesome)

qq more

Though they're not all bottomless pits, almost every act in Sonic 4 ends with a "get this right or you die" segment.

The card flipping platforms in Ep 1... and those stupid Walruses in Ep 2. *shudders*

Colors was also 30fps, that doesn't matter.

So? This game looks much less complex than Sonic Generations, so there's a chance it can be 60fps on Wii U. Not to mention the GPU on the Wii U is apparently somewhat better than the 360/PS3's. (Although the CPU is weaker)

zainetor

Banned
Uh, no. Sonic 1 was rife with pits, but in Sonic 2 and 3 they were rather rare. You're thinking of 3D Sonic and Dimps Sonic.

That pit in Mystic Cave is an exception, not the rule.

sonic 3 yeah, sonic 2, not so much.
The last 2 levels in sonic 2 are one gigantic bottomless pit.

I'd love it to be 60fps too, but Sonic has been a technical mess ever since Sonic Adventure 2. The 'Hedgehog Engine' they've been using on the most recent titles is godawful. (Though the games it's been powering have been awesome)

Heroes.

It ran in PERFECT 60fps on GameCube and I think Xbox (only tried the Xbox version for a moment, it supported 720p!), PS2 was a nightmare.

Shadow I think started the downhill slump, but it was clearly rushed in the first place.

Zero Gravity on Wii is the last perfect 60fps Sonic game, never tried the PS2 version.

NotLiquid

I distinctly remember only one, which is at the final act of Metallic Madness. Sonic CD not having bottomless pits is probably a design choice made so it wouldn't hamper the time travel mechanic.

Colors was also 30fps, that doesn't matter.

Colors was made by the Storybook Team as a small pet project that was aimed "for kids" while Sega's focus was on Sonic 4 and Generations. The engine was most likely based off of the Black Knight engine and retooled to work in the Unleashed-style game play. It was probably never in their minds to make it a technical marvel that ran at 60fps. It's probably much easier for Sonic Team to do it now than it was back then.

flippedb

Banned
It looks fantastic! And it looks almost too clean, I can't see jaggies on any of the screens, or are they bullshots? I'm guessing they're not bullshots, since you can clearly see jaggies on the 3DS screens, but I don't know.

Daingurse

Colors was a side project to Generations, Iizuka literally had it made because he felt Generations wouldn't be proper on the Wii. I still say it's possible, doesn't mean it'll happen, though.

What I'm saying is don't get your hopes up. 60fps would be great, but it doesn't mesh with the way Sega has been developing their games on console recently at all.

qq more

sonic 3 yeah, sonic 2, not so much.
The last 2 levels in sonic 2 are one gigantic bottomless pit.

Wing Fortess Zone and... ??

This is a silly point. Of course that level is going to be a giant bottomless pit. You're on an airship! Unlike the Dimp games, the pits exists in levels where they should exist in.

Top Bottom