• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

Do you have Generations on PC? There's a pretty good fan project that converted the Unleashed daytime levels to Generations levels. They fixed a few frustrating things and there were a couple sections that aren't quite as good with Generation's controls (I'm looking at you Chun-Nan water section) but other then that its really really good.
No I dont I play these games on 360 unfortunantely :/

QZNUoAy.jpg

Afyc4VF.jpg

9IMYArw.jpg

IXTPh7d.jpg

79I1VEZ.jpg

kHgNhRR.jpg

ZtY3clc.jpg

This game looks fucking gorgeous.

First time I actually have wanted a Wii U (well, since it lost Rayman Legends). I really hope this game does well enough for Sega to invest in more titles like it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow, those high quality shots. This is the Sonic game that I've been pining for since the day I set eyes on Mario 64 and started dreaming.

How is anybody supposed to play all of the games coming in the second half of the year?

Volotaire

Do you have Generations on PC? There's a pretty good fan project that converted the Unleashed daytime levels to Generations levels. They fixed a few frustrating things and there were a couple sections that aren't quite as good with Generation's controls (I'm looking at you Chun-Nan water section) but other then that its really really good.

Oh, is there a link to this?

Meelow

Banned
Wow, those high quality shots. This is the Sonic game that I've been pining for since the day I set eyes on Mario 64 and started dreaming.

How is anybody supposed to play all of the games coming in the second half of the year?

These are the people that will be able to buy all the games + consoles.

rich-money-thinking.jpg

javac

We can have both, y'know.

That said, it looks like Sega knows where its priorities are.

I think the game looks fine anyway. Sometimes simple and clean works best.

Yes we can have both and in this instance I believe this game is proof of that as many people in this thread will agree with me in saying that this game looks great visually as well as the fact that from what we've seen and heard, the gameplay looks great too. So yeah?

The clash of art styles bugs me to no end. On one side they have classic esque stages,flickies and enemy types but on the other those Guardians look like they came out of some early 00s shovelware for Gamecube. The enemies should be in this style:

Sega-Game-Gear-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Triple-Trouble-Front-Cover-464x640.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the exploration works out. The new control scheme seems like it will be perfect for replicating the more deliberate parts of the original Sonic games. I always felt like the "exploration" of the 3D Sonics only involved jamming over on branching paths, or nailing a particular jump just right to land on a different platform than normal.

Okay... I wrote off this game hardcore... but I was bored so I just now watched the trailer. This actually looks like it might be a good 3D sonic. The first truly good one even. I think the Mario Galaxy style design actually works really well in concept.

It truly looks like it could give you full control (something games like sonic adventure series lack) of a fast paced sonic game without frustratingly dying at every corner because you can't see the sudden drop in front of you (every other 3D sonic game, including 06)

Okay... I wrote off this game hardcore... but I was bored so I just now watched the trailer. This actually looks like it might be a good 3D sonic. The first truly good one even. I think the Mario Galaxy style design actually works really well in concept.

It truly looks like it could give you full control (something games like sonic adventure series lack) of a fast paced sonic game without frustratingly dying at every corner because you can't see the sudden drop in front of you (every other 3D sonic game, including 06)

Not a fan of Generations? Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were pretty fun too.

Holy shit this thread exploded.

I noticed the screenshots and trailer lacked grinding. That's... peculiar.
ohgodohgodohgodpleasegetawayfromthat

Also noticing a few sonic fan regulars outside of GAF popping up in this thread. ;)

Elixist

I can watch you for a lifetime your my favorite mooooveeeee. Great music choice. Looks cool, graphics are kinda weak, but gameplay looks like its tryin some new things I'm optimistic.

Not a fan of Generations? Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were pretty fun too.

Honestly didn't bother with generations since it looked more of the same. I mentioned why I didn't like sonic adventure 1 and 2... They are mostly auto pilot. You run into bumpers/charges and the game practically plays itself. Chao garden was the only good thing from SA1/2.

The rest of the games have a mix of the 2 big problems of the game automatically doing large parts of levels and needless terrible pit deaths caused by "GOTTA GO FAST" with classic "linear" paths. Cylindrical paths give a far greater degree of freedom AND cut down on the type of pointless deaths that seem to heavily plague 3D sonics.

As I said, I'm truly and legitimately excited for a sonic game for the first time since I first saw SA1... I think the art design heavily helps... It's dropping the melancholic "edgey" destroyed cities and future temples and such to go back to it's roots. (not that the original games didn't have those things in their own way, but the 3D games just tried to hard to make it gritty and realistic)

JDSN

Banned
Im loving the choice of making the grass like that, reminds me of the old games. I hope we got to see extended playthroughs of the three levels that the writers saw.

Raven77

This looks like a complete play off of Galaxy...and it looks glorious! Not the most graphically impressive game i've seen but the gameplay LOOKS fun, hopefully it delivers.

Honestly didn't bother with generations since it looked more of the same. I mentioned why I didn't like sonic adventure 1 and 2... They are mostly auto pilot. You run into bumpers/charges and the game practically plays itself. Chao garden was the only good thing from SA1/2.

The rest of the games have a mix of the 2 big problems of the game automatically doing large parts of levels and needless terrible pit deaths caused by "GOTTA GO FAST" with classic "linear" paths. Cylindrical paths give a far greater degree of freedom AND cut down on the type of pointless deaths that seem to heavily plague 3D sonics.

As I said, I'm truly and legitimately excited for a sonic game for the first time since I first saw SA1... I think the art design heavily helps... It's dropping the melancholic "edgey" destroyed cities and future temples and such to go back to it's roots. (not that the original games didn't have those things in their own way, but the 3D games just tried to hard to make it gritty and realistic)

Damn this how I feel about those games..

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Holy shit this thread exploded.

I noticed the screenshots and trailer lacked grinding. That's... peculiar.
ohgodohgodohgodpleasegetawayfromthat

Also noticing a few sonic fan regulars outside of GAF popping up in this thread. ;)

I was surprised to see a few
less than desired
common attributes to recent Sonic games absent here. Probably the lack of Boosting surprised me the most.

I think a lot of fans were just waiting for some Sonic news as outside of Racing Transformed, its been pretty dry since Generations.
Its weird to think that was a year and a half ago now. Even weirder to think Sonic colors is almost three years old now.

TaroYamada

This is not that, they completely ripped off the cookie cut out level pieces from galaxy.

I agree the art direction is slightly similar to Super Mario Galaxy but I also think Super Mario Galaxy's planet ideas are just as similar to Sonic Adventure 2's/Ratchet and Clank's spherical worlds. Creative industries rely on borrowed ideas.

Neiteio

Wow, this looks excellent. The tier-based walking/running/boosting via the triggers seems like a genius move.

Only thing that gives me pause is the inclusion of Wisp-based powers via the touchscreen, but it sounds like those are relegated to optional side areas and secrets, so chances are you wouldn't use them much outside of exploring. And who knows, maybe they're fun and don't interrupt the flow.

One question: Are the WiiU and 3DS versions essentially the same game? Because those 3DS screenshots look surprisingly true to what we've seen of the WiiU version.

SykoTech

So Sonic has 2 different boosts now. Awesome.

I hope the screen doesn't spin with loops all the time like that. That's just obnoxious.

Not pleased to see numerous dash pads in the first trailer alone. Generations did a decent job of toning that stuff down. Hopefully the full game doesn't have too many of them.

The Sinister Deadly Six look terrible. Probably would have looked better as robots. They look like rejects from the new, ugly Pac-Man show.

Visuals aren't too hot. Looks inferior to Generations.

And I am so sick of Green Hill and its knockoffs (Splash Hill, Seaside Hill, etc.). If there must be a Hill Zone, how about one with some originality already? Lie Mushroom Hill from Sonic & Knuckles.

Nice to see Modern Sonic with the figure 8 running animation though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Someone pointed out you can see the Lazer Wisp for a brief moment in the background of the new trailer.

Capture.png

Totally Sonic Colors 2.

DaBoss

Wow, the screenshots do the game justice. It looks really good. My only complaint is the water graphics. It really does look bad, but I probably won't even look at it for like 3 sec.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Only thing that gives me pause is the inclusion of Wisp-based powers via the touchscreen, but it sounds like those are relegated to optional side areas and secrets, so chances are you wouldn't use them much outside of exploring. And who knows, maybe they're fun and don't interrupt the flow.

The wisp powers were fine in Colours, I'm sure they'll be fine here.

If it's the fact that they're on the touch screen that worries you, it sounds like you'll be able to play with Wiimote/Nunchuk at the very least, so there'll definitely be a button-based alternative.

Daingurse

Wow, the screenshots do the game justice. It looks really good. My only complaint is the water graphics. It really does look bad, but I probably won't even look at it for like 3 sec.

That's Sonic graphics in a nutshell. Everything in the background of the 2D classics looks great, lots of fucking detail and moving parts. But, you don't fucking see it unless you purposely slow down to appreciate it. That's why I don't really give a shit that the game is graphically unimpressive or a step down from Generations. It's nice and easy on eyes with a very aesthetically pleasing simple artstyle. Colors was a step down from Unleashed on 360/PS3 graphically of course, didn't really care back then either.

That's Sonic graphics in a nutshell. Everything in the background of the 2D classics looks great, lots of fucking detail and moving parts. But, you don't fucking see it unless you purposely slow down to appreciate it. That's why I don't really give a shit that the game is graphically unimpressive or a step down from Generations. It's nice and easy on eyes with a very aesthetically pleasing simple artstyle. Colors was a step down from Unleashed on 360/PS3 graphically of course, didn't really care back then either.

Does the realistic looks always looks better? Sonic colors looked Imo better than Unleashed... because of the artstyle..

Daingurse

Does the realistic looks always looks better? Sonic looked Imo better than Unleashed... because of the artstyle..

They both have their merits, I like this artstyle but I also liked Generations' look. Generations to me, running at a high resolution at 60fps is impressive looking. Absurd sense of speed and gorgeous shit going on in the background. Generations also doesn't look realistic to me anyway.

Instro

I like what I see. It has a lot of the visual charm that the recent Sonic games have been missing. Sort of a nice cartoony and simplistic design that really makes the colors and characters/enemies really pop. I found that Generations and Unleashed often looked very messy, and visually inconsistent, this seems like a breath of fresh air by comparison. Hopefully the game ends up being as fun as it looks.

Top Bottom