• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost Worlds Debut Trailer [Up: Wii U + 3DS screenshots]

I was watching SatAM on Netflix the other night and Jaleel White as Sonic still puts a smile on my face.

Perhaps it might have been after Sonic being mute for years (I was about 6 or 7 at the time), hearing Sonic talk for the first time really made me happy.

Some might have grown up with Ryan Drummond, Jason Griffith or the now Roger Craig Smith. But Jaleel White will always be my first (with the most attitude) Sonic voice.

I was watching SatAM on Netflix the other night and Jaleel White as Sonic still puts a smile on my face.

Perhaps it might have been after Sonic being mute for years (I was about 6 or 7 at the time), hearing Sonic talk for the first time really made me happy.

Some might have grown up with Ryan Drummond, Jason Griffith or the now Roger Craig Smith. But Jaleel White will always be my first (with the most attitude) Sonic voice.

I grew up with Jaleel too. But his voice just isn't as good as the others.

Daingurse

I grew up with Jaleel too. But his voice just isn't as good as the others.

Nostalgia can be a powerful thing.

NostalgiaCritic.gif

If Sega can do this I can only imagine what Mario will look like on the WiiU. I don't care if people still think this is graphically unimpressive, if this is a baseline than I'll be happy

ezodagrom

This new sonic game looks kinda interesting, but not enough for me to get a console I'm simply not interested in.

Insane run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfBmoozDvc

And this level still gives me nightmares.

Although that run uses a glitch as well, never saw it before.
Haven't done sandopolis act 2 in a really long time, used to be one of my favourite sonic 3 & knuckles stages, but got rather rusty at it.

sonic3sandopolis1.jpg

After a bunch more attempts:

sonic3sandopolis2.jpg

Daingurse

Its not though lol. I grew up watch sonic the hedgehog, and the adventures and yea its not as good as the other voices. I recently watched the adventures of sonic the hedgehog all on netflix last month and thoroughly enjoyed it but its not as good.

It isn't as good, but for me it's perfect. Nostalgia Goggles don't blind everyone, this is a case where I am very much wearing them. I admit that, haha.

Roger Craig Smith? Didn't he voice Captain America?

Daingurse

Oh ok, I actually thought you were referring to nostalgia goggles as in people who grew up playing sonic adventure first and onwards. lol.

Nope, as a Sonic fan though I remember a whole lot of whining when they dropped Ryan Drummond. I never really gave a shit, but I honestly finally got used to Griffith right around when they dropped him for Roger Craig.

"Feeling Good!" I found all the shit Sonic said hilarious in Unleashed. So obnoxious, that it crossed the line into hilarity.

CrisKre

What I'm most excited about, aside that this seems the more payable and least bit forward and win Sonic game since forever, is the fact that they are not trying to make it "cool" it seems. The theme seems much closer to Sonic 1 than anything ive seen since. I love that. So I vote for no rap, just keep it simple. That way you don't fall into an identity crisis.

Arkam

Game looks fun as hell.

I dont know why, but that "3d" grass in the WiiU version really bothers me. I would prefer a flat surface with a nice texture to that odd geometric grass.

Maybe its just an art distraction thing... but cant stop seeing it to the point of distraction.

Daingurse

What I'm most excited about, aside that this seems the more payable and least bit forward and win Sonic game since forever, is the fact that they are not trying to make it "cool" it seems. The theme seems much closer to Sonic 1 than anything ive seen since. I love that.

Please, that's pretty much all on Dimps. Try that in any non Dimps developed game, seriously see how far you get. Boost to win, semi-acceptable. Hold forward/Right to win, yeah bullshit.

Game looks fun as hell.

I dont know why, but that "3d" grass in the WiiU version really bothers me. I would prefer a flat surface with a nice texture to that odd geometric grass.

Maybe its just an art distraction thing... but cant stop seeing it to the point of distraction.

Seems to be an attempt at resembling the grass in the old 2D games.

This game actually looks pretty good so far, interested to see the variety in level design and such. Going to be looking out for this one, 2013 too is a nice confirmation to have. Hopefully this along with whatever we get thrown at us at E3 will convince some more people to take the plunge on Wii U.

qq more

Nope, as a Sonic fan though I remember a whole lot of whining when they dropped Ryan Drummond. I never really gave a shit, but I honestly finally got used to Griffith right around when they dropped him for Roger Craig.

"Feeling Good!" I found all the shit Sonic said hilarious in Unleashed. So obnoxious, that it crossed the line into hilarity.

Griffith actually got pretty good when Unleashed happened. Shame he got dropped right away after that, he was finally good. :/

I don't mind Roger though. His voice is okay, kind of odd, but eh I'll take it.

That was a bit hyperbolic on my side. But you catch my drift. This seems to have more gameplay potential than all the previous 3d Sonic games combined.

P.s. hyperbolic again. I know. It's my style :p.

Sonic Colors is one of the least "hold forward/right to win" Sonic games in recent memory.

CrisKre

This game actually looks pretty good so far, interested to see the variety in level design and such. Going to be looking out for this one, 2013 too is a nice confirmation to have. Hopefully this along with whatever we get thrown at us at E3 will convince some more people to take the plunge on Wii U.
I agree. Id like for this to have some epic moments as well in terms of variety, just like galaxy also threw some epicness into the mix to spice things up. Sega is great at that with Sonic games imo. There is so much potential here.

Yea I was one of those whiners lol. Eventually as more sonic games came out and his voice slighty sounding different each time I accepted it and now just accept every voice with open arms lol

The game looks good and I'm glad to hear they're not going back to the idea of grounding the levels in any sort of reality. My #1 hope is that they've finally made Sonic fun to control, because even though Colors and Generations were good games, Sonic still never felt "right." His walk cycle's been awkward in all of the post-Genesis games until you reach the run animation, and controlling him at top speed when not confined to rail sections has always been finicky.

Hopefully this IS Sonic Galaxy, not just in where it's taken level shape inspiration, but also in it's quality, variety, and quantity.

CrisKre

Griffith actually got pretty good when Unleashed happened. Shame he got dropped right away after that, he was finally good. :/

Sonic Colors is one of the least "hold forward/right to win" Sonic games in recent memory.
Sonic colors certainly is somewhat excluded from my comment. Fair enough. The controls ruined that for me in colors though. It was a bit to lose for my tastes.

Daingurse

Exactly, he was finally fucking good! Finally! Meh, Roger Craig is not bad at all, so whatever. lol

Sonic colors certainly is somewhat excluded from my comment. Fair enough. The controls ruined that for me in colors though. It was a bit to lose for my tastes.

I learned to love that weird double-jump.

NTom64

Very happy with how the 3DS version looks and the gameplay details sound awesome.

Just need to hear some of that sweet, sweet in-game music now. Roll on E3!

I don't know. So don't kill me. Is trails a guy or a girl?

A boy, though he was originally intended to be female.

Everything about the aesthetic of this game I love, except the designs of the bosses, and of Sonic. I think a more stylized design would have worked much better for Sonic. Not necessarily classic Sonic but something close to it.

The animations of the boss guys was great in the CG part though. They seem like they are going to be really interesting to fight, and hopefully their story won't be awful.

Has anybody discussed the fact that the figure 8 animation is lame and tacked on? You can still see Sonic's feet, the figure 8 is just pasted on top. :(

Nah, it looks great to me. That's about the only way they can get away with that effect.

CrisKre

Guy, but the jokes on people thinking Tails is a girl go back for years.

Miles "Tails" Prower. Miles Prower. Say it slowly.

Miles Per Hour
Thank God. I love the character, but in my mind he was always a guy. I remember there where some debates about it. I was a SNES guy growing up, but the Sonic games where the only games Genesis had that genuinely made me jealous. When Gamecube got adventure 2 it wasn't the same anymore. Hard to describe. It had already gone on a "cool" tangent thatdidn't appeal to me. I loved Sonic Heroes thoughI know it's not a popular opinion. This game is giving me original sonic feels in terms of its simplicity so I couldn't be happier. The art with Sonic and ttails on the plane with the world within the clouds told me this game might be something special.

TheOGB

Banned
I instantly knew Tails was a boy, but saw Knuckles and thought for at least a full minute, "Woah, a girl.......... wait."

Has anybody discussed the fact that the figure 8 animation is lame and tacked on? You can still see Sonic's feet, the figure 8 is just pasted on top. :(
They did the same thing with the circles on Classic Sonic's feet. Legs don't actually work that way.

Sonic 4 was the turning point where Sega started to take Sonic games more seriously. It's been all uphill since then. They even made the smart move of getting that Whitehead guy to make a above-perfect port of Sonic CD to every platform.

Hale-XF11

Those 3DS screenshots are promising. Now I'd like to see it in motion to get a better feel for what it's like. I want it to be a good game, but I need to see more.

Blueblur1

How so? When I saw the trailer, I thought to myself that the only way this is going to work properly is if there's a run button.

I wouldn't be surprised that the entire tiered speed system was created because the game likely doesn't have gravity implemented in an easy to understand way and/or the system isn't very friendly to human error. Needing not one but two buttons to reach top speed (which is likely required to navigate certain sections of the stages) is needlessly complicated. The use of single button isn't even necessary (see Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2). They most likely had players careening off the stages entirely during gameplay tests so they decided on a tiered speed system. That's probably the same reason why the parkour system exists, too.

Maybe you're more suited for iOS gaming...

Nice thinly veiled insult. How mature of you.

Sonic 4 was the turning point where Sega started to take Sonic games more seriously. It's been all uphill since then. They even made the smart move of getting that Whitehead guy to make a above-perfect port of Sonic CD to every platform.

I had to re-read your post. Sonic 4 Episode I & II are arguably the worst 2D Sonic games ever released. They control and play terribly, have little content, and borrow stage themes from other games without doing anything worthwhile with them. If anything, HD Unleashed was the start of Sega releasing better Sonic games with the occasional terrible title (read: Sonic 4).

Top Bottom