• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

It's really cool that we have two Sonic games to satisfy two audiences. People who want faithful classic Sonic and people who want modern 3D Sonic.

Hoping they keep Taxman on so they can keep this train rolling.

1qDvIfX.jpg

my baby...

AND...that's going to be my new twitter icon.

I literally held my breath coming into the thread knowing the general consensus from the 'big sites' about Sonic but I'm pleasantly surprised that Mania is reviewing like the bright spot in Sonic's very patchy recent history. Well done everyone involved.

bounchfx

good enough for me
pretty much exactly what I wanted. gonna pick it up, hope it does well, this is one sonic game that seems to deserve it

WoolyNinja

Wait?

Jim Fucking Sterling Son gave it a 95?!

This is the promised one, isn't it fellas?

His video was taken down - wonder if he's doing a reverse Hellblade... give it a good score and then take it down to a 1

EDIT:
Looks like there were issues with the render - should be back up soon

Really great to see even if I wasn't much of a Sonic fan at any point. I respect the old games but could never get into them when I was a kid. Happy to have another opportunity to try.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Polygon's 7 certainly isn't bad! It's just a poorly written review. And I'll be damned if I didn't know it was Arthur reviewing it just from the blurb alone.

It wasn't as blatantly terrible as their Crash review, so I won't complaint. A 7 is good.

And god damn @ that GameSpot blurb.

Is this the best rated Sonic game since the 90s?

Yes, if you're counting new games only. I'm pretty sure the 3D classics Sonic 2 ended up with high 80s metacritic as well. I don't think it has any competition from actual new games though.

edit: Oops, forgot advance 1/Adventure 2 weren't 90's games.

In a small way, I was hoping that it would get bad reviews so I wouldn't be tempted to buy it. I've never been a Sonic fan. But I'm happy for all the fans that it seems to be great! I'm sure I'll eventually buy it and not like it!

mollipen

Still working on my review, but yes, to the surprise of few at this point, the game is fantastic.

It's also weird, because it's easy to not fully appreciate that it is. There was a point where I realized that my head was back in the 2D era of Sonic, and it felt like I was just playing the next natural continuation of the series so of course it was great. Like, it's easy for your brain to take for granted what we've gotten after a while.

I'm not sure I could ever go back to a 2D Sonic that doesn't have the Act variations like Mania does, because man does that keep things feeling so fresh and interesting. Three of the four new stages are great, with
Press Garden
being my person favorite. However, I really didn't care for the fourth—I think it's brought down by one of its main gimmicks being completely obnoxious. I'm also not sure that all of the choices for stages to bring back were great either: I'm assuming some people out there like it, but
Lava Reef
was an immense low point in the game for me. Also, there's some great ideas going on for the bosses, but some of the earlier ones are just way too easy, making some of that creativity feel wasted.

Oh and FFFFUUUUUU the Sonic 3 bonus stages who on this planet thinks those are fun?!

Still, man, it's so great to have a real (to me) Sonic again, and this is yet another wonderful release in what's been a year of non-stop hits.

MrBadger

It's almost surreal seeing a Sonic game get 9's and high 8's from mainstream reviewers. And none of the negatives sound like deal breakers either.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Make a Sonic game that's like the Sonic games that people actually liked and it reviews well, what are the odds?
And yet it took this long...
Will be great to finally be back to Sonic's superior roots.

I hope we'll have Mania sequels in the future.

witness

Damn man these scores! Now what do I buy it on? Have all three consoles including the Pro. Leaning Switch because of portability.

Top Bottom