• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

Super excited to play this. Glad to hear that people are liking it. Haven't been this excited about a Sonic game in a long time

PoshAlligatorRD

Neo Member
Any Switch specific reviews or safe to assume its comparable?

I'm not sure but as far as I'm aware Switch codes went out a bit later.

I have played it in portable mode at events, and the analogue stick is surprisingly decent for a 2D platformer.

Also, I think my Rice review was pretty comprehensive, but if there's anything I didn't cover or any queries about the game I'd be happy to answer.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
wtf, the sonic cycle actually broke down? that thing was reliable. I might actually buy this out of curiosity. Sonic hasn't been good since the first 2 so I'm kind of interested to see if they recaptured the magic. I'll be honest though, I don't think the game actually holds up well as a retro experience, there was a competing mascot that stood the test of time way better.

Will give it a look on switch though.

UberTag

Who knew that the solution to making a good Sonic game was to not have it made by Sonic Team.
Everyone knew this but Sega. Thankfully they figured it out at long last.

Who knew that the solution to making a good Sonic game was to not have it made by Sonic Team.
Everyone knew this but Sega. Thankfully they figured it out at long last.

Kinda like how the solution to making a good Spider-Man movie was to not have it made by Sony Pictures.

So when Sonic Forces absolutely tanks in reviews (at least relatively, if you want to be optimistic...), what are the odds Sega/Sonic team take it really badly that some small team made a better game than they could?

Unknown?

I figured it'd get mid 80s, there was no way it'd ever beat Adventure.

So when Sonic Forces absolutely tanks in reviews (at least relatively, if you want to be optimistic...), what are the odds Sega/Sonic team take it really badly that some small team made a better game than they could?
My gosh, I hate people with attitudes like you. Your opinion holds no weight based on your predetermined bias. Let's let the game release before making any judgements shall we?

Coxy100

Banned
I really want to play this - loved Sonic as a kid.

It really hurts my eyes when I watch gameplay of Sonic now though / play on my iPad - it moves too fast. I'm old :(

GenericUser

eat that Mario
1256327485901ymp5p.jpg

tomorrow is going to be glorious. Feels so good to be back.

Via Eurogamer:
How the hell is this possible? It's possible because for a small group of dedicated aficionados, the blue blur's halcyon period never ended. What's old has become new, and Sonic is once again the star he was supposed to be.

Goddamn, man. What a wonderful story this is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well...if Yuji Naka were still in charge of Sonic Team, he's probably go crazy. It wouldn't be pretty. His temper is legendary.

dolabla

It's a 2D Sonic game with low-res assets and no voice acting, why would it be a gigabyte?

I don't usually buy digital not unless it's something like this that's digital only (still hoping for a physical release), but it's because when I do buy digital it always seems like the downloads are big.

My gosh, I hate people with attitudes like you. Your opinion holds no weight based on your predetermined bias. Let's let the game release before making any judgements shall we?

lol. I've seen enough of sonic teams works and from what footage we've been shown (Which includes entire levels!), to know it's going to end up with a lower metacritic than Sonic mania. The idea that I (or frankly, most of the members of neogaf, given the dedicated videogame nature of the forum) couldn't make an accurate call on a game is silly. I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings?

Man it's like the whole "Crash was never good" shit posts all over again.

I'm allowed my opinion, believe it or not. I personally haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles, with the now-defunct and unavailable Sonic Level Creator as a lone exception. I played a lot of them, I didn't enjoy them, what more do you want?

I mean, I'm glad people did like them. I'm glad people enjoyed Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors for example - they weren't for me (too much boosting rubbish and gameplay I just do not enjoy). I didn't like them. I didn't like Sonic Adventure. I didn't like Sonic Rush. But I do like this. I want to buy this, and am going to, tommorow.

So, what is so outrageous about that? What makes is a shitpost?

Top Bottom