• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

Thabass

1qDvIfX.jpg

my baby...

This is incredible. And, so too, are the reviews. Hype meter is broken, let's gooo!

Peltz

Yes. And he's right. Native support for 4k means at least scaling was meant for it. 2D sprite scale better with nearest neighbour. Althought what if the game is native 1080p and then when played on a 4k display, upscaled with a different technique ? That kills the pixel accuracy and the sharpness.

Do we even know the native resolution of this game? It would help to determine how this is going to scale on various platforms.

Griss

I'm not surprised at all that this is good - it would be hard to mess this up considering how rigidly it copies the beloved originals' visuals and gameplay. What amazes me is just how badly they fucked up Sonic 4 when this exact game is clearly what fans always wanted. It was Sonic 4 that really made me lose hope that anyone with a brain was in charge of Sonic.

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Also, I'm not in the 'Sonic was never good' camp but I am in the 'Sonic was never truly great' camp so it'll be interesting how I receive the classic gameplay after all these years.

Mikey Jr.

Just read Eurogamer's review, sounds like this came together perfectly. Shame about that PC delay though.....

Dunno man, that shit seems suspect.

Like they can get a 2d sonic game running fine on all 3 consoles, especially the switch, but the PC is struggling and it conveniently needs 2 weeks extra?

Don't want to throw out any conspiracy theories here, so I won't. But yeah, that just seems a little odd to me.

gelf

I knew already I'd like the game before even seeing a single review but its good to see it's popular anyway. It's going to be a hard wait for the PC version.

Boke1879

Dunno man, that shit seems suspect.

Like they can get a 2d sonic game running fine on all 3 consoles, especially the switch, but the PC is struggling and it conveniently needs 2 weeks extra?

Don't want to throw out any conspiracy theories here, so I won't. But yeah, that just seems a little odd to me.

What conspiracy though? They stated on stream they wanted to make sure all different configurations worked properly.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Holy shit, it finally happened! A Sonic game that I ACTUALLY WANT!

That's not happened since 1994!

It's been a long wait for me, too. I've bought a lot of Sonic games between 1994 and now, but none of them have really been true Sonic games.

Just 12 hours to go. I can't wait.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
This thread gives me life.

Thank you for putting these all together in one place! :)

Also, hope you all enjoy playing Mania tomorrow for PS4/XB1/Switch. The entire team has worked remarkably hard on it!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I guess I will drop some cash today to pre-order. Expected it to be a competently made return to the 16-bit era, but did not expect most reviews to be so glowing. Really seems to be something special at play.

tesqui

I'm pretty excited! These reviews are great. This will be the first Sonic game I ever completely play through. I only ever remember watching my brother play the first one on genesis at a very young age. I think my Dad either got rid of it or sold it when the PS1 came out.

RowdyReverb

Any word on the performance of the Switch version? That's the one I'd like to get as long as it runs the same as on the big consoles

Jagsrock

Banned
This one goes out to all the haters! But really it's for the fans, the ones who have been waiting for the return of the blue blur. Stand tall sanic brotheran as we sped are way into a new age! The Hype is real!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sonic Advance 1, released in 2002, has an 87 on Metacritic.

So Mania is the highest-rated Sonic game since Sonic Advance — 15 years ago.

jman2050

Slant Magazine - 3/5

At its best, Sonic Mania makes classic zones from past Sonic the Hedgehog games feel unpredictable again.

Some of the usual "I don't like parts of classic Sonic and this game has those same problems" type of deals but a fair review nonetheless.

EDIT - Possibly some spoilers? Tried to avoid any sentences that looked like they could be so I can't be 100% sure.

Top Bottom