• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

How spoilerey is it?

It mentions some zone's that to my knowledge haven't been officially shown off and the opening but that's it.

If you want a TL:DR, This should have the title of sonic 4, He loves this game with a few criticisms (Bosses are easy, level design problems but those are minor). But as he puts it "It is in 1 word. Superb" with a 9.5/10 score

Game Revolution - 80
Like the Kevin Smith version of A New Hope I imagine almost daily, Sonic Mania is a game made by fans, for fans. And that's not a bad thing. Newcomers may be turned off by the intermittent difficulty spikes, but others may finally understand why many childhoods were spent looking for a kid who had a Sega Genesis.

Like the Kevin Smith version of A New Hope I imagine almost daily

wat

FaintDeftone

Totally bought.

I was going to go with the Switch version but I figured trophies would enhance the replay value a bit so I went with the PS4 version.

Outrun

1qDvIfX.jpg

my baby...

You made my day :)

Berordn

Kind of a shame that Sega is making reviews use very little footage. I guess theyll find any way to mess up a good thing.

Worse that they're giving length based restrictions and not content based. Anyone digging through reviews seems to be getting close to the whole game spoiled.

Any word on the performance of the Switch version? That's the one I'd like to get as long as it runs the same as on the big consoles

Retro Engine has been designed with great performance on now unsupported phones in mind, so I wouldn't expect performance problems here. However I remember remasters running on it having very erratic patching patterns, to the point it's possible any of the versions will end up being a dud in this respect.

Dunno man, that shit seems suspect.

Like they can get a 2d sonic game running fine on all 3 consoles, especially the switch, but the PC is struggling and it conveniently needs 2 weeks extra?

Don't want to throw out any conspiracy theories here, so I won't. But yeah, that just seems a little odd to me.

Yes, it is a little odd, but it's not a screaming lie. PCs do have a few quirks, and if they spent more time than expected on one of other versions, they could have just ran out of it.

A not so famous thing about Sonic CD on Steam is that it's a reverse port - Taxman ported it to 360, and Sega for some reason asked someone else to port the 360 version back to WinAPI. I wonder if they planned something along those lines and then found out it wasn't a good idea.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh, that's a shame. Might get this on sale then. I don't really care for remixed levels.

Trust me when I say some of the 'remixed levels' are really just entirely new zones in disguise. I think people will realize that more when they get to play.

I'm pretty out of the loop on Switch eShop updates. Will I be able to buy and play this at midnight tonight on my Switch or will I have to wait until midday tomorrow? I'm in the United States

dlauv

I think I called an 86 metacritic a couple of months ago.

I was really hoping to be wrong, but it's still a great score that should catch the eyes of many, paired the $20 price point.

bounchfx

So glad to see how this is going. Part of me doesn't really believe Sonic team necessarily wanted to make those games but who knows. I feel like it was someone higher up making the call to keep trying out wacky bullshit instead of giving fans what they've literally been begging for for 20 years.

As a next step after this, if they try something new, I really hope it's just this classic style again but with animated graphics like that incredible trailer they showed. Basically Rayman legends quality 2d art with the same gameplay. Would be gorgeous and a way to really modernize Sonic properly

BigBusiness

Neo Member
Not the biggest Sonic fan, but glad the game is doing well.

Might pick it up on the Switch, barring any weird technical issues.

Griss

So glad to see how this is going. Part of me doesn't really believe Sonic team necessarily wanted to make those games but who knows. I feel like it was someone higher up making the call to keep trying out wacky bullshit instead of giving fans what they've literally been begging for for 20 years.

As a next step after this, if they try something new, I really hope it's just this classic style again but with animated graphics like that incredible trailer they showed. Basically Rayman legends quality 2d art with the same gameplay. Would be gorgeous and a way to really modernize Sonic properly

Yeah, the problem with mania and its great reviews is that it isn't the future of sonic, it's a retro celebration. So sonic isn't exactly 'saved' here. So where to next? Surely sonic team will see that dedicated 2d games with old school physics augmented with new gameplay systems and a new visual style is the way forward. I really like your idea regarding the Rayman style.

Now to be fair, the sonic fanbase is so fragmented, you'd have a hard time finding a game that there isn't a sizeable chunk begging for.

KingBroly

Banned
I wish I could get it at midnight on Switch...

Sega.

I felt like Jim was a bit too kind if he thinks a couple of the bosses and some level design areas are a bit off. Then again, he was too kind to Sonic 4. Oh man, I just remembered there was an Episode 2 to that crap.

Christ on a bike. These reviews are better than I imagined.

Any idea when the eshop gets updated and I can download this?

It's live on the Australian eShop right now and should be up at midnight in other regions (not certain on other regions but you can get AUS eShop credit fairly easily if you want it right now).

jts

...hate me...
So, let me get this. This game that completely flew under my radar until these reviews

releases tomorrow
on Switch
for 20€?

Holy cow if so.

VariantX

Trust me when I say some of the 'remixed levels' are really just entirely new zones in disguise. I think people will realize that more when they get to play.

Yep. The Act 1's bear a passing resemblance to their originals because they faithfully recreate the look of the originals while massively expanding on them both in size and with new paths, features and interactions. The majority of the Act 1 stages are all new stuff. The Act 2's are entirely original from the bottom up.

13ruce

Banned
Yep. The Act 1's bear a passing resemblance to their originals because they faithfully recreate the look of the originals while massively expanding on them both in size and with new paths, features and interactions. The majority of the Act 1 stages are all new stuff. The Act 2's are entirely original from the bottom up.

That sounds very good.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Had no idea about this. Very interesting as I really assumed it was just a 'best of' compilation with a couple new zones.

Village

Or they did because people like those games and they like making them. You wanna be excited for sonic mania? Cool as am I , I hope it makes me happy and I have fun

However, pretending other sonic fans don't exist, or the people making sonic didn't want to make those games in some weird " conspiracy theory " that the """" Fans"'""" only wanted classic sonic is a complete denial of reality. Because lets be real here sonic forces could come out next week, be bad. And if they were to announce Sonic Adventure 3, the fucking week after people would loose their damn minds.

So lets not wonder into the realm of conspiracy, people like and ask for different sonic games. And the people who make sonic like to make different sonic games ( sometimes to the detriment ) . So lets pull that back a bit.

Sonic mania's good. Great. People was asking for it, i'm one of them. I want them to make different types of sonic games instead of mashing them into one. Lets leave it at that. Its a good game folks are happy, they wanted it.

Top Bottom