• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic movie redesign leaked

420bits

Looks like sonic instead of a freak, won't make the movie any less of a shitshow.

There's like, HUNDREDS of games on top of my head that would make gamers all over the world cream their pants and panties.
Instead some assclown goes "I got the rights for Sonic for 10bucks and a handjob, lets make a movie nobody asked for or want or have a story worth building on. Let's make Sonic the hedgehog the movie!"

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You could come up with a great Sonic script, given a very creative writer. But making it a human / CGI combo where Sonic is another sassy & sarcastic cartoon sidekick is the worst possible idea.

Silent Duck

I see nothing wrong with the original design.
IG8XaDa.jpg

In fact, I think that design aesthetic would be great for multiple franchises. Such as The Muppets, Finding Nemo, and Win-Xi the Pooh.
SYHPLXq.jpg

This new design is kinda stuck in an uncomfortable middle ground between edgy SA2 Sonic and cutsey, relatively stumpy, Genesis Sonic. Mixed with realistic fur that just doesn't work for the design. If you just look at his head it's halfway decent but when you look at his whole design it's actually really bad.

That's a lot better. I mean I was gonna hate-watch it anyways, but maybe it won't be so offensive now. I mean, it has Jim Carrey, how bad could it be? Right?.......r...right?

I wonder how the Sonic fandom will treat Jim actually. I'm fairly sure he'll wish he'd never done this movie.

Doom85

I wonder how the Sonic fandom will treat Jim actually. I'm fairly sure he'll wish he'd never done this movie.

Which sucks because based on what I've seen in the trailer it seems like he's having a lot of fun being in this film. Hopefully fans will use their brains and realize Jim didn't write the script for the movie so blaming him for the movie being inaccurate is stupid, but too often butthurt fans don't use logic and just blame anyone they can for things they had nothing to do with.

Davey Cakes

For this design, it looks like they actually involved someone who's played or seen a Sonic game before. Nice.

Honestly, I'm not interested in this movie for any other reason than Jim Carrey, but at least Sonic isn't an abomination anymore.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
That's a lot better. I mean I was gonna hate-watch it anyways, but maybe it won't be so offensive now. I mean, it has Jim Carrey, how bad could it be? Right?.......r...right?

Man could you imagine how insane it would’ve been to get a Sonic movie with Jim Carrey as Robotnik 20 years ago when people still loved Sonic and Jim Carrey

Terra_Ex

Why was it so hard to just make Sonic look like Sonic in the first place. Consulting with anyone who'd played any of the games could have told them the original design was shit. At least it looks like it's fixed now.

xion4360

and now we circle over to people saying they liked the original garbage design that everyone complained about...whatever at least he looks like sonic now.

prag16

Banned
Ahhh... I can’t say for sure but that certainly looks about 500% better. Still the wrong colour arms, but I’m willing to forgive them on that one. The eyes are better, the face is better, and he looks like he has actual gloves now which is better.

It’s still odd they haven’t shown anything at all about this since the last trailer. It’s out soon, you would think they would start promoting these changes early after that balls up.
I.... somehow never realized that Sonic's arms aren't blue. If you had asked me what color his arms are I would have confidently stated "blue" all day every day.

stickkidsam

My eyes aren't bleeding so I guess this is an improvement.

Gonna be a nitpicky bastard though and say his arms and legs look weirdly stumpy. Like he has furry blue chodes connecting his hands and feet to his body.

Edit:

Holy shit they just combined his Werehog design with his normal color scheme lmao

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
I'll see this movie because they listened to the fans. I know they practically had to but I respect it.

I think the best decision they could make would be to release the exact same trailer they did before with the new Sonic so people can shot for shot compare it.

Why do they even bother at this point? it looks too hairy, and not in a cartoonish way for some reason.
I prefer the original design.
You need to consult... see the post I quoted below, talk to your headshrink about it, he may have some advice for you.
Loss aversion is such a strong phenomenon people here having Stockholm syndrome with the previous design

Last edited:
You could come up with a great Sonic script, given a very creative writer. But making it a human / CGI combo where Sonic is another sassy & sarcastic cartoon sidekick is the worst possible idea.
If it was a movie without plot where you just see Sonic running around at high speed around rollercoaster like regions of various settings, I'd watch it guaranteed.

Geki-D

Banned
As expected, the cyclops eye was never going to happen in the movie. Looks good, though the movie will still no doubt be trash.

I liked the original design for the simple reason that it was something different than what we're familiar with. It was an original interpretation of the character, fitting the real world better in my opinion. What we have now wasn't the original vision, and with that authenticity goes out of the window.

BlackTron

if they continue lowering the resolution then it will look 1:1 like Genesis Sonic

maybe this is the plan all along. the first 240p mainstream film!

Sonic 2: The Movie complete with Death Egg explosion after running through an exploding hallway before jumping out into space.

Would see in the theater.

Yeah "leak"

I bet this was released intentionally to see what the reaction is before the new trailer. And it look good now imo

That wouldn't make sense tho. They pushed back the movie's release by three months to update the CGI shots. Which given the nature of the movie would take some time.

mcjmetroid

Which begs the question

why do a live action film in the first place?

JzG3DGi.jpg
I mean look at all the chat this movie is causing, mostly negative I agree but people ARE talking about it which is good. Also it's not like the Doom Annihilation chat where people will laugh and move on, people are interested in this movie.
I don't think an all CGI movie can pull this off, a live action movie just hasn't been done before and people are intrigued.

Creatively a CGI movie would have made more sense but not commercially I think.

Top Bottom