• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Runners announced during fan-event [Sonic Team / smartphones]

L~A

Remember that Sonic Runners rumour a few months ago? Well, the game actually does exist, and just like the rumour said, more info will be revealed in January 2015.

We do know two things about the game already: it's made by the Sonic Team and... it's for smartphones. Based on the name, probably an endless runner of some sort, but nothing's confirmed yet.

l_549fbfda8b8b02huz1.jpg

Source

Gotta go fast and lock this thread if old.

Takao

Banned
Sega just pulled a "Please be excited" for a Sonic game. on smartphones.

Do they know what year it is?

BasilZero

Yikes....the fact that they have a inhouse main team working on a smartphone game and not a side group.....

big_z

this should be sonics last chance. if they cant figure out sonic in a simple runner, take him out back and put him down.

I think it's quite easy to see why SEGA/Sonic Team is doing this.
There isn't really a strong healthy youth/family/casual-centric home console on the market right now. At the moment, a big-budget Sonic game would most likely bomb on the PS4/Xbone and even on the WiiU (a console with a software ecosystem that is actually compatible with colorful platformers).
It makes a lot of sense that they'd head for the nearest machines with a huge profitable youth/family/casual market.
:p

I think it's quite easy to see why SEGA/Sonic Team is doing this.
There isn't really a strong youth/family/casual-centric home console on the market right now. At the moment, a big-budget Sonic game would most likely bomb on the PS4/Xbone and even on the WiiU (a console with a software ecosystem that is actually compatible with colorful platformers).
It makes a lot of sense that they'd head for the nearest machine with a huge profitable youth/family/casual market.
:p

I don't know. A proper, well-received Wii U game has definite potential, I mean All-Stars Racing Transformed did really nicely. And believe it or not Boom actually gained traction over Lost World according to NPD leaks, where in their debuts Lost World did 30k on both Wii U and 3DS, and Boom on Wii U alone did I think 25-28k?

Point is Boom for it's failure actually is doing better relatively speaking which is surprising if you don't consider the TV show.

But Transformed is the only highly rated Sonic game on Wii U and sales paid off thanks to it. To me if you do a good job, they will come.

TheOGB

Banned
Surely Sonic Team is using this as a test to see if they should keep tweaking Lost World's mechanics for the next main game or go a different route. Surely.
Lol nah

I'd say I'm not interested, but I figure it's only fair that I wait to see what the real deal is once it's officially revealed.

Zareka

The main Sonic Team are making an iOS game? When we already have Dash? And meanwhile consoles get Sonic Boom?

All you needed to do was make Generations 2! Jesus Christ. It cannot be THAT difficult to grasp!

God damn it. I'm near ready to drop the Sonic series for good if this is how it's going to continue. I thought things were looking up from Unleashed to Generations but I shouldn't have expected Sega to keep making good decisions.

Bricky

You're seriously desparate when you try to get your fanbase excited by confirming you are working on what is probably some kind of endless runner. And you announce it at a fan event and don't even have a small preview like a trailer or a screen ready? This is just sad.

I don't know. A proper, well-received Wii U game has definite potential, I mean All-Stars Racing Transformed did really nicely. And believe it or not Boom actually gained traction over Lost World according to NPD leaks, where in their debuts Lost World did 30k on both Wii U and 3DS, and Boom on Wii U alone did I think 25-28k?

Point is Boom for it's failure actually is doing better relatively speaking which is surprising if you don't consider the TV show.

But Transformed is the only highly rated Sonic game on Wii U and sales paid off thanks to it. To me if you do a good job, they will come.

You could be right about that, and I'm pretty optimistic so I do think it's possible that a Generations or Colors-caliber 3D sonic game could do well on the WiiU thanks to good reviews and great "word of mouth" marketing working with the console's platformer-friendly branding/software ecosystem.
However, I'm not sure how confident SEGA is about Sonic's success on any of these home consoles seeing as there is no 8th gen equivalent to the Wii.

The only thing that has ever been good in Sonic titles is running, and every time another aspect happened it was awful. The platforming has been pretty awful when focused on, the story is awful, voice acting...you guessed it. Controls aren't nearly as good as they should be. Framerate is bad for games dealing with speed. Wishing is always nice, but why anyone would want Sonic to do anything but run when Sonic Team is handling him is beyond me.

Am I crazy? I guess the music is always kinda nice. Until Nintendo or someone else decides to make a game where he controls as smoothly as he does in Smash Bros, I'll pass.

To be fair, we don't know if it's an endless runner yet... Though I don't see what else a game called Runners could be.

hopefully they are making a rayman jungle run with sonic art. i dont like endless runners but runners with levels like rayman are fun

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
And they will again not release it on any console / handheld, right :/? Why don't they port games that could obviously be successful on dedicated platforms from phones? It's always only going the other direction. Well, the first Sonic Team developed Sonic I won't be able to play then :/.

oti

Banned
Sonic is a good character for smartphone games. They are his new home, doesn't matter if we want to except that or not.

Ferr986

It already says Sonic Team in the picture.

image.php

The only thing that has ever been good in Sonic titles is running, and every time another aspect happened it was awful. The platforming has been pretty awful when focused on, the story is awful, voice acting...you guessed it. Controls aren't nearly as good as they should be. Framerate is bad for games dealing with speed. Wishing is always nice, but why anyone would want Sonic to do anything but run when Sonic Team is handling him is beyond me.

Am I crazy? I guess the music is always kinda nice. Until Nintendo or someone else decides to make a game where he controls as smoothly as he does in Smash Bros, I'll pass.

Yeah a little. Theres legitimaly good Sonic games. The classics, Colors or Generations for example.

wrowa

And they will again not release it on any console / handheld, right :/? Why don't they port games that could obviously be successful on dedicated platforms from phones? It's always only going the other direction. Well, the first Sonic Team developed Sonic I won't be able to play then :/.

We don't know anything about the game yet and you already came to the conclusion that it could obviously be successful on other hardware? Most mobile games these days are absolutely tailored to the smartphone environment and wouldn't make a lot of sense elsewhere.

Top Bottom