• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Rush sucks ass, read here why

Rlan

Sonic Rush is absolutely awesome. Anyone who thinks it sucks, sucks at it.

Once I get my DS lite and some free time, I'm going to video tape me playing it, just to show people how you're MEANT to play it. I wish there was an easy way to make DS output :(

Ranger X

Believe me i don't suck but Sonic Rush does. I wasn't just pressing right and sometimes pressing jump and then falling asleep in Sonic 2 and 3.
Sonic Rush is fast and maybe "cool", but the Genesis Sonic (roots after all) is quite dead.
Sad.
New Super Mario Bros tells us 80s/90s gameplay is cool and not dead.

Rlan said:

No, they just think it sucks. I was pretty good at it, and I thought it sucked. Better than those awful Sonic Advance games (though the first was okay), but still nothing compared to the Mega Drive Sonic games. You know, the ones with actual platforming in them. The ones that didn't resort to blind runs and bottomless pits to induce difficulty.

All Sonic games post Sonic and Knuckes have been awful.

Rlan said:

Once I get my DS lite and some free time, I'm going to video tape me playing it, just to show people how you're MEANT to play it. I wish there was an easy way to make DS output :(

I actually play it like I might play 'Nights:Into Dreams'(Trying to make the grade by collecting enough rings, performing tricks, killing enough enemies, and other tasks). It's by no means a traditional Sonic game, since it emphasizes more on speed opposed to 'jump and bop' platforming, but it's still awesome.

I'll say it once more. Anybody expecting Genesis-styled Sonic platforming from this title is going to be disappointed. Genesis Sonic gameplay isn't going to come back, folks. Sega doesn't play to the nostalgic crowd as often as Nintendo does, so you're probably not going to be seeing 'New Sonic the Hedgehog' anytime soon.

Also, if you try to play the game simply by pressing forward, you WILL FALL INTO PITS. There's a lot more to the game than that. The first day I bought the game, I think I died as a result of a pit-death maybe 5 times, max. If you pay attention to what the hell you're doing, and don't sit there and mash buttons at random, you shouldn't fall into pits. It's that simple.

Rlan

Pfft. Sonic 2 had plenty of pits. Wing Fortress? Hell, Mystic Caves had a point where you could fall into a pit of spikes with no way out! :lol

Sonic Rush is very different from the original games - but it's still a great game! Sonic Advance 2 and 3 are completely unplayable in comparison. Sonic Rush does have problems [some gimmicks are lame, like the robot kill rooms and the Mirage Road fight-off], but levels like Leaf Storm, Water Palace, Huge Crisis and Dead Line make it absolutely worth it. It throws the last 12 years of Sonic off a cliff[except for 2/3rds of Sonic Adventure 2 - The Sonic levels are great fun]

Rush has a great implementation of grinding [face it - we're stuck with it] in comparison to SAdvance 1-3, The dual screen method shows off a lot of different paths you can take which make you explore so much more trying to find some new way to finish the level. It has a great sense of speed without feeling helpless [Like Advance 2 & 3 where you have no fucking idea what's in front of you until they throw a projectile at you or spikes pop underneath you], a great trick system [allowing you to get to higher areas, or just go faster - SAdv2-3s ere worthless - especially the more rings = faster deal. Sonic moves like a ROCK], and just pure Sonic movement - none of this Knuckles / Tails / Amy / Cream BS.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I thought Sonic Rush had a lot of the right idea, but inconsistent execution. Also, the graphics weren't really that great, and I didn't like the inconsistency between cel shaded player character and sprite enemies with poor animation to boot.

I'd give it a 7.9. I like it better than Sonic Advance 1 and 3, but Sonic Advance 2 remains my favorite modern era 2D Sonic.

I guess part of the problem is that Sonic's gameplay concept was never as deep or flexibile as Mario :/ It seems to have played itself out much more, while NSMB shows you can still come up with a near-infinite variety of twists and gadgets.

Maybe you could with Sonic as well... but at this point I think you'd have to give it to a developer other than Sega. (Double :/ )

Rlan said:
Pfft. Sonic 2 had plenty of pits. Wing Fortress? Hell, Mystic Caves had a point where you could fall into a pit of spikes with no way out! :lol

Oh let's be serious. Mystic Cave had that one bottomless pit, and the difference in Wing Fortress is that its a level to be taken slowly. There's only one bit where it actually throws you into a pit, whereas in Rush there's that airship level (Huge Crisis?) where you're flying all over the place and landing blindly into all sorts of holes.

Rlan said:
Sonic Rush is very different from the original games - but it's still a great game! Sonic Advance 2 and 3 are completely unplayable in comparison. Sonic Rush does have problems [some gimmicks are lame, like the robot kill rooms and the Mirage Road fight-off], but levels like Leaf Storm, Water Palace, Huge Crisis and Dead Line make it absolutely worth it. It throws the last 12 years of Sonic off a cliff[except for 2/3rds of Sonic Adventure 2 - The Sonic levels are great fun]

I was being a bit dramatic when I said it was awful. It's not awful, I just didn't love it. As a Sonic game, it has to be doing something wrong for me not to love it. The robot rooms are awful, in fact, the robots themselves are awful. All the enemies (other than the bosses) lack character; it's just such a bland roster. Not that you'd know, of course, because unless you're in a robot fight room the only strategy you need for taking down the identikit enemies is X.

I just don't understand where Sega got the idea that all Sonic games should be suspended on rails. Sometime after Sonic Advance 1, this horrid 3D mechanic leaked into the 2D.

Rlan said:
Rush has a great implementation of grinding [face it - we're stuck with it] in comparison to SAdvance 1-3, The dual screen method shows off a lot of different paths you can take which make you explore so much more trying to find some new way to finish the level. It has a great sense of speed without feeling helpless [Like Advance 2 & 3 where you have no fucking idea what's in front of you until they throw a projectile at you or spikes pop underneath you], a great trick system [allowing you to get to higher areas, or just go faster - SAdv2-3s ere worthless - especially the more rings = faster deal. Sonic moves like a ROCK], and just pure Sonic movement - none of this Knuckles / Tails / Amy / Cream BS.

I agree with all this. The grinding was pretty cool, way better than in the Advance series. I love the trick system, it gives you something to do during all that airtime you didn't have in the MD series. The dual screens definetly help with widening the view area, and in conjunction with the Rush button, you're not just a sitting duck when they cheaply position enemies just milimetres from your nose and then send you running into them at top speed. Also, while I don't mind Knuckles, I'm glad to see an (almost) pure Sonic experience. I wouldn't mind them getting rid of that story though. Cringeworthy.

Rlan

There ARE problems with the game. I overdramatised the pits thing, but they were always there. Once we can find a way to get rid of them, all will be well.

Robots are shit - they've been tat way since Sonic Heroes and they don't want to let go. Just look at Sonic Next-Gen - Generic as hell. The Sonic Advance enemies were badly implemented though - Like the snowball throwing penguin in Sonic Advance 3 - the damn thing starts throwing them before he's near your screen, meaning you'll probably get hit by the bastard before you know he's there. Sonic 2 had it right - Coconuts would throw stuff at you, but you'd ave plenty of time to realise it before he does.

Mirage Road's enemy rooms were crap [Multi hit enemies? Get the hell out of here] - as were the end fight areas [slow as hell], but Huge Crisis did it very well - Those flying guys could be a pain if you wern't watching them. They were very sparse in the last few levels, only popping up when you took a bad route. There is almost always a way around them :)

The story was barely there. Most of the time it just had "I'll get you Sonic / Blaze!" "Bring it on!" *boss fight* "I'll get you for this!". It had more than the Advance series ["Knuckles, did Eggman trick you again?" "Leave me alone!"], but there was still barely anything there.

And Boss fights >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> every Sonic Advance game. I'd say the Final Boss of the main games [The big white mech] was a lot of fun and is on of my favourites of any Sonic game period.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The Hoover Corporation is currently researching Sonic Rush ROMs to determine how they can harness its sucking power for the sake of good housekeeping

Tarazet

I am as big of a Sonic whore as MegaDrive up there, but I was seriously let down by Sonic Rush. It wasn't horrible, but it just didn't feel right. 15 minutes after I booted it up I took it out and haven't touched it again.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh I get it.... you grew up, you bought a Sonic game, and now you think "the new one" sucks.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ranger X said:
hmmm, maybe. If you really want a Sonic game it's still the best one since Genny times.
This is the saddest thing I've read all day, and it's true as well. Sonic Team, what happen to you? Can't even out-do a Dimps platformer anymore.

Ranger X

AndoCalrissian said:
I may pick this up if it's cheap somewhere, I could use another platformer/sidescroller on DS.

Make sure you have Castlevania, Kirby, Princess Peach and NSMB already ok?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jj984jj said:
This is the saddest thing I've read all day, and it's true as well. Sonic Team, what happen to you? Can't even out-do a Dimps platformer anymore.

:( Oh Sonic Team.

Sonic Rush is not really that great. I didn't like it as much as I did Sonic 2.

I prettymuch bought it because of the soundtrack. I'm glad I was able to use the Best Buy coupon on it.

It wasn't complete shit, but it was flawed in the sense that it wants you to go fast, but when you do, you get killed. At least the last boss was kinda cool.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I used to be a serious Sonic Fan - speed runs, the whole thing, but Sonic has been worthless as a franchise for a really long time. It's been designed by the Simpsons "Poochy" comittee since the late Genesis days.

LOL at all the people who only played the 2 first Zones and start pissing on the game calling it racer. Get to the later levels, you can't pull of that holding right shit,, you have to play and be quick on your witts.. Sonic Rush is a solid game.

I finished both Sonic Rush and NSMB... Sonic Rush left me more satisfied and complete then NSMB's lack of climax.

the adrneline rush, climax build up in the last stage then last boss,, then the final final boss is gold.

Seriously,, I think I love you haters are extremely slow witted and can't cope when things get to fast...

Sonic Rush is the best DS game, IMO

border

The Sonic Rush experience:

1. "Hey he can run through 3D corkscrew things now!"
2. Play through some easy, tiresome, same-y levels.
3. Return game to store.

FightyF

Banned
It's the same story with the Sonic Wii game. People got hyped for no reason, I'm calling it now, it's gonna suck.

neoxavean

Banned
SEGA has esentially killed Sonic in the way that Capcom killed Megaman.

Unlike the Genesis games, Sonic is almost fully automated and there is no exploration.

The battles were neat but quickly got boring.

Horrible concept with having a map of the stages to go to.

What else?

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!! SONIC'S HERE!!!!!!!!!

Nostalgiacs loopy for 16-bit era Sega like Teddman and Fishie -- folks who stopped enjoying games when Sony rose to prominence -- hyped it. If a revival of Sega isn't possible, then they'll settle for flipping out for the next best thing in their sad, rose-tinted little inward-gazing lives: Sega "returning to form" on the hardware of the other "classic, pure gaming" company, Nintendo.

Kikizo Games 12/14/2005 9.2 out of 10 92.0%
IGN 11/11/2005 9 out of 10 90.0%
Nintendo Power 1/1/2006 9 out of 10 90.0%
GameSpot 11/14/2005 8.2 out of 10 82.0%

Sonic Rush is still listed in the top 10 best ranked DS games,,
"nah nah gamerannkings nah nah"

no man, it is a real fun game that has a climatic feel to it.

lay off the oblibion and the 5-clock shadowed create an uggly female character in Oblivion that still looks like man,, and have fun with a game that has fun written all over it: Sonic Rush

Sonic Rush in the DS' Top Ten says more about the quality of the DS library than my trolling EVER could. DS fanboys OWNED

And who cares if the Oblivion chicks are ugly? The internet is FULL of animu for you to tug your little doodle to.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Eh, I really dug it. I've not been one to enjoy a Sonic game for over a decade, but this game threw enough exuberant obstacles at the gamer without sacrificing the pitched momentum and Sonic's arsenal of air attacks and nitro dashes carried me through most enemies and pits without much trouble. There is such a visceral satisfaction to be had clearing a stage with nonstop dashing and grinding, it's the first in a longtime I've felt the franchise rise from it's long dormant state.

Zweisy1

The reason Sonic Rush got so much love is because it's still a step up from the other recent Sonic efforts... Unfortunately, that's not much said.

It's an decent platformer but no way is it anywhere near one of the best DS games with stuff like NSMB and Advance Wars DS around. Would probably even take Super Princess Peach over Sonic Rush as mindlessly easy as it is.

I'm a PSP fanboy by the way, when you guys team up the bash a good game, it makes me laugh, still doesn't remove Sonic Rush from still being in the top 10 highest ranked DS games.

in my library, Sonic Rush is my favorite DS game. As long as there is a hate tread dedicated to hate it, I will continue reminding you "anoyingly" that I love it.

demi

gutter_trash said:
I'm a PSP fanboy by the way, when you guys team up the bash a good game, it makes me laugh, still doesn't remove Sonic Rush from still being in the top 10 highest ranked DS games.

in my library, Sonic Rush is my favorite DS game. As long as there is a hate tread dedicated to hate it, I will continue reminding you "anoyingly" that I love it.

Say funness again.

neoxavean

Banned
It's a horrible attempt at a 2D Sonic game to rival the Genesis ones. They concentrate too much on speed and non-stop action, when any fan or Sonic 2 through Knuckles can tell you it was never this way.

neoxavean

Banned
demi said:
Say funness again.
B000B2YR8I.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
:lol

sonarrat said:
I am as big of a Sonic whore as MegaDrive up there, but I was seriously let down by Sonic Rush. It wasn't horrible, but it just didn't feel right. 15 minutes after I booted it up I took it out and haven't touched it again.

Time again to remind you that you can still pay tribute to the greatness of the original Sonics by performing and recording piano versions of the classic Sonic tunes.

Do it, Sonarrat. :)

Zweisy1 said:
The reason Sonic Rush got so much love is because it's still a step up from the other recent Sonic efforts... Unfortunately, that's not much said.

It's an decent platformer but no way is it anywhere near one of the best DS games with stuff like NSMB and Advance Wars DS around. Would probably even take Super Princess Peach over Sonic Rush as mindlessly easy as it is.

I'd also say the rivalry with the PSP and all those threads pitting both handhelds against each other is pushing some DS owners to put key games on a pedestal. Nintendo's first party games are a given, but the importance of those few, high-profile, third-party offerings are vital for some fanboys in their system wars.

I'd say the same thing happened with Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube, for the time it was exclusive to the system anyway.

Top Bottom