• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Rush sucks ass, read here why

Commander_Zorg

that UKR wanker
Think of Sonic Rush as being like SSX Tricky instead of Sonic 2, and the awesomeness shall open up before you.

"You've gotta trick to boost" and so on.

sonic1.jpg

believe.

demi

Commander_Zorg said:
Think of Sonic Rush as being like SSX Tricky instead of Sonic 2, and the awesomeness shall open up before you.

Which itself is pretty stupid.

yeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeahyeah

brigadeer

I completely agree that Sonic Rush sucked ass!

To me, it's not even a platformer anymore. Just speed right through going too fast to know where you are going or why you are going there.

I know it's not that simple, but that's what it felt like when I played it.

Commander_Zorg said:

That's almost exactly what I did to enjoy the game.

I started it expecting a Genesis-type Sonic and was severely disappointed. I put it down for 3 months or so and decided to pick it back up. This time, I approached it as an "extreme racing game," like your example of SSX or skateboarding, etc. and found that it's much more fun. If it was just hold forward FTW, it would be stupid as this type of game as well. But the fact that you can easily die or lose all your rings by holding right the whole time makes it enjoyable.

Oh, and I didn't discover the Special Stages till my second attempt at the game -- the Special Stages are the most fun use of the stylus yet, and should give people a fraction of an approximation of what Sonic Wii will be like.
Gigglepoo said:
Well, for Sonic Rush, holding left and watching a blue streak didn't entertain me.
Dude, no wonder -- You're going the wrong way![/FZGX]

Gigglepoo

Well I agree.

It may be the best Sonic, but blindly running through levels doesn't really interest me at this point. It feels more like an out of control racing game than a platformer. Some guy yesterday posted that he couldn't understand the appeal of Uno 360 - pushing A every 12 seconds doesn't sound entertaining. Well, for Sonic Rush, holding right and watching a blue streak didn't entertain me.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Best Sonic game EVER.
Top 5 DS.

This is the direction all Sonic's game should move on, not that semi-ass Adventure shit.
I hope to see more combos in Rush 2 and more of a different gameplay using the second character (playing with Blaze was too similar to Sonic, in Sonic 2 using Tails opened more gameplay's paths, although for the first time playing with a character that wasn't Sonic was equally fun).

Jcgamer60

I also think sonic rush sucks. Its not terrible, but in my opinion they could have done much more. First of all the music sounds weird, the bosses are pretty easy, except for maybe the final boss, and the blaze the cat person is just a waste of time. There was also alot of lag in multiplayer and i remember the framerate dropping alot during the final boss fight. I love sonic, but i just couldnt enjoy this game as much as i wanted. I would have to agree with gamespots score. It is fun but its not great, sonic 2 is still the best 2d sonic game, in my opinion.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Commander_Zorg said:

Exactly.

Sonic Rush needs dedication.
You really enjoy the game once you start to get the grasp on the levels' layout, and going through them at full speed KNOWING where you're going, pulling tricks and bouncing in the air collecting maximum amount of coins... well, it's all a Sonic's game shoul be and more.

Opposite Sonic Rush we have NSMarioBros.
They're both godly and two sides of the same coin...
Also, they're both on the same console and that's another notch in DS's belt...

dbish

I'm going to go ahead and agree with everyone who liked the game except the bosses. Seriously, wtf is up with those things? They take way too long to kill and aren't hard until the last hit. 3 hit bosses FTW. O, and screw that final boss.

Dash Kappei said:
Best Sonic game EVER.
Top 5 DS.

This is the direction all Sonic's game should move on, not that semi-ass Adventure shit.
I hope to see more combos in Rush 2 and more of a different gameplay using the second character (playing with Blaze was too similar to Sonic, in Sonic 2 using Tails opened more gameplay's paths, although for the first time playing with a character that wasn't Sonic was equally fun).

I can agree with this.

I spent a whole sunday afternoon trying to get S in all the stages.

Zones 5, 6 and 7 are some of the best Sonic levels ever.

Jcgamer60 said:
i think nsmb is alot more polished than sonic rush. Sonic rush is no where near nsmb imo.

Oh, by a long shot! This has always been true, ever since the 16-bit days. That being said, I've always enjoyed the Sonic games a bit more. But Mario's a close second.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, so there are three people I've seen so far who think that Sonic Rush > NSMB. :(

I can understand the Sega/Sonic fanboy, but what about the PSP fanboy and Fishie? Maybe Fishie just needed something to get OWNZORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD.

NSMB is anti-climatic, and it kills the pump up reving up the end. Something that Sonic Rush does well,, ramps of the end climax like most Sonic games have always done, to an ultimo finish.

Sonic Rush > NSMB

jj984jj said:
Wow, so there are three people I've seen so far who think that Sonic Rush > NSMB. :(

I can understand the Sega/Sonic fanboy, but what about the PSP fanboy and Fishie? Maybe Fishie just needed something to get OWNZORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD.

Ouch. That hurts. =/

Hey, I LOVED NSMB too! I just really, really, really loved Sonic Rush. It's not a crime to have personal preference. Not everybody has to think the same way. I prefer fast-paced games.

If anybody has a hard time accepting somebody else's opinion, then they're the ones with the problem. I enjoyed both games. Who gives a rat's ass which one is better? I think more people should sit down with a game and have fun with it and not worry about EGM, GameRankings, Or internet nerd #3435532's opinion on it.

A Link to the Past said:
I like it when Sonic isn't about platforming. More Sonic games should be about speed.

Ha ha, someone who sees Sonic like me.

When I'm enjoying Sonic the most, it's when I'm speedy. I never actually liked the platforming sections of the past games, so Rush just clicked with me instantly since it focused on what I think Sonic does best... move fast.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
I dunno, ultimately, I like Sonic Rush, but it's a mixed bag for me. It really is one of the best Sonic games in recent years, which is pretty sad considering how solid things were in the Genesis days. That said, I thought it was a fun game. I did set it down several times because some parts in some levels are just ridiculous until you figure out what the fuck to do. Once you do, it's alright but it can be really frustrating at times.

I have to seriously disagree with the people who say it's just holding right and watching a blue blur. This is actually the first Sonic I've played that REALLY doesn't let you get away with that much at all. Enemies pop up outta nowhere, unless you know where they are and that they're coming. Obstacles and pits aren't as unforgiving, but it's still bad if you just run through the game. Using the tricks and stuff helps this from being too annoying but getting to know the levels really is what gets you through.

It's not a carbon copy of the Genesis games, or even Advance Sonics, but it's good in its own right. It's worth having just for the one-cart multiplayer. The only problem is if you suck at the game, you won't have too many levels to play.

I probably wouldn't even have bought the game but I got a $15 gift card for Wal-Mart, so went to buy Advance Wars Dual Strike and they didn't have it. In fact, the only DS game they had I remotely wanted was Sonic Rush. For the discounted price, it was worth it IMO.

The music? It's OK but the only thing that gets stuck in my head is the Special Stage theme (which is fun but hard!).

Pachinko

yeah I wasn't too fond of it myself. It had the same hold right and win level design that sucked most of the fun out of sonic advance combined with using 2 screens pointlessly making the stages hard to follow like sonic advance 2 AND it had pointless use of 3d for things that should have been sprites. Plus it was kind of hard to an annoying extent.

Basically Sonic 1, 2 and the first stage of sonic 3 plus half of sonic and knuckles needs to be studied by whoever is making these games really hard. That's what sonic is like at it's best.

Jcgamer60

Battersea Power Station said:
Oh, ok. I just wrote it down in my memopad. Thanks.

lol:)

Im still waiting for a decent 3d sonic game. I thought sonic adventure 2 was pretty good, except for those knuckles and Tails levels, that slowed down the game to much. It seemed like the sonic team was getting closer to perfection, but then instead of making adventure 3 they make some crap game called sonic heroes. I bought that game first day because i was excited, but man what a let down. Ofcourse i didnt even bother with shadow the hedgehog. I still have hope for Sonic Next gen, or am i a fool for believing in the sonic team?

jgkspsx

Terribly disappointing game. The abysmal level design and laughable enemy design killed it. Friggin' robot witches?! WTF Sega.

(It is the best Sonic since Sonic & Knuckles, and that's a really sad thing. I don't think Sega could make a decent Sonic game if they tried anymore. Sonic Wee will very likely suck, even if it looks good doing so.)

P.S. The special stages were the best "collect rings in a tunnel" special stages ever. Terribly easy, though. Bring on STUNRunner DS!

rod

Banned
i fucking LOVED it. cant wait to finally get nsmb aswell. but yeah i loved rush. great level design (barely ever fell into pits) fuckin KICK ASS soundtrack and awesome fast paced gameplay

Shalomi

So let me get this straight.

2 out of the first 3 posts in this troll thread were made by two seperate mods. We're now on page 3.

Jesus, it's no wonder GAF is a shithole.

demi

Is it really trolling when majority of the thread agrees in unison?

Besides, this thread has been very coherent and it did not dribble into simple name calling, i.e. Nintards, Crabs, etc. or redundant image macros.

I'd say it's a very good thread.

i have and i think its great game....its the same shit as all sonic games. a nice rollercoaster ride....IF YOU LIKE ORIGINAL SONIC THEN YOU WILL LIKE THIS..end of story.

Jcgamer60

anotherworld said:
i have and i think its great game....its the same shit as all sonic games. a nice rollercoaster ride....IF YOU LIKE ORIGINAL SONIC THEN YOU WILL LIKE THIS..end of story.

I disagree.

demi said:
Is it really trolling when majority of the thread agrees in unison?

Besides, this thread has been very coherent and it did not dribble into simple name calling, i.e. Nintards, Crabs, etc. or redundant image macros.

I'd say it's a very good thread.

Sounded more like a Bashfest orchestrated by Western RPG PC gamers

demi

I'm not a western RPG PC gamer, and I didn't orchestrate this with anyone. I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me that Sonic Rush wasn't a good title, and to my surprise, it's almost unanimous.

Listen, if it makes you feel any better, you can make fun of Advent Rising.

demi said:
I'm not a western RPG PC gamer, and I didn't orchestrate this with anyone. I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with me that Sonic Rush wasn't a good title, and to my surprise, it's almost unanimous.

Listen, if it makes you feel any better, you can make fun of Advent Rising.

Never heard of it

Seriously, I don't know what to think with this game...It can a pretty fun game, but it has a big bunch of fun-killing flaws that can kinda spoil the experience.
The fact is, this was my very first Sonic game, so I don't know if boring and repetive bosses, uninteresting alternate characters (I'm looking at you, Blaze) or very frustating game design are common in the Sonic series (I think and I hope not).

robot

I thought it was as good as a sonic game is ever gonna be - at least a 2d version.

If you didn't like it you probably dont like the whole 2d sonic concept anymore, and maybe something that should've went down with the S.S Genny. They'll never be another Sonic as good as Sonic 2 (or the others in that few year span), so we just should keep playing Sonic 2. Over and over and over - and remember Sonic for how awesome he once was.

The end.

robot said:
I thought it was as good as a sonic game is ever gonna be - at least a 2d version.

If you didn't like it you probably dont like the whole 2d sonic concept anymore, and maybe something that should've went down with the S.S Genny. They'll never be another Sonic as good as Sonic 2 (or the others in that few year span), so we just should keep playing Sonic 2. Over and over and over - and remember Sonic for how awesome he once was.

The end.

That's what I do. The old games are still as fun as they ever were.

I still fucking love the game this thread is based on though. And fuck anybody who looks down on me for doing so.

Beitel

Sonic Rush is the best Sonic so far (not that it says that much, but still) and with the exception of Ouendan the best DS game.

Where NSMB is Mario back in Retro style that we love and is a bit better worked out, with tighter levels. But Sonic Rush is really just about being as fast as possible, and the more you play, the faster you get.

After playing maybe a bit too much, I just hold the Boost-button down. I'm doing tricks everywhere, making the best of the leveldesign and doing everything to be as fast and fluid as possible. The leveldesign isn't perfect, but mostly it is great enough and the only thing that really sucks is the score system, that is easily abused.

Really, just learn to hold Boost and doing tricks anywhere. After playing some time with it the game really starts to get better. And everyone who says the music is bad should get shot, twice. Hideki Naganuma is a god.

neoxavean

Banned
Beitel said:
Sonic Rush is the best Sonic so far (not that it says that much, but still)

Are you insane???

Clearly, judging by your disdain for Sonic as a whole, you're aren't a fan.

For those who were fans of Sonic back in the day and obsessively played and completed Sonic 3 with all character options (Sonic, Tales, Sonic and Tales) as well as completed the addon (Sonic, Knuckles, Tales, Sonic and Tales), as well as loved Sonic & Knuckles, owned Sonic Pinball, were amazed by Chemical Planet in Sonic 2 when it first came out (as well as loved Oil Ocean), and still to this day appreciate Marble Zone in Sonic 1 -- almost all of us will tell you: Sonic Rush doesn't come close to living up to the original games, even if played side-to-side to this day!

Top Bottom