• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing announced! (Ryo revealed! Yay three Shenmue fans!)

Gagaman

I AM JOHN! said:
Don't you just love CG trailers that show absolutely no gameplay and crazy moves that you will never be able to do in the game no matter how hard you try? Oh, every developer ever...
Fixed.

Brobzoid said:
Would be cool if the game was about beating Sonic at speed, maybe some kart building or whatever. Even if it's just a plain kart racer Sonic should be running.
I like this unwritten rule that Sonic is only allowed to to run and jump on things and is not allowed to ever try something else whereas Mario is free to star in RPGs, sports games etc etc.

"Link shouldn't ride a train! FUUUUUUU."

Tom_Cody

Rlan said:
This had better be in there:

shenmue.jpg
If it is I will buy this, even when the game inevitably ends up being terrible.

Gagaman

I AM JOHN! said:
Sega's way worse about it, though. :\
No worse than anyone else, really. Are you counting QTE's as gameplay? Because those are essentially vaguely interactive cut scenes and you can't do most of the things seen in them outside of QTEs.

Sega games do have pretty hype inducing trailers though, I'll give you that, more often than that making the game look far more epic than it turns out to be.

Sadist said:
Death Spiral lol.

But really, I can see this selling buttloads.

Dosn't have "Mario" on the title so it's pretty much fucked....

Screens dosn't look that bad, but again...meh, not interested, as someone said if it were Sega Allstar Racing, with the best racing games of the company mixed onto one.Day 0.

Seriously, why can't Sega show a little creativity with this game?

They could easily make a combination of Sonic R and Diddy Kong Racing, with Sonic on foot, Robotnik in his hovercraft, Tails in his plane, the monkey in a Monkey Ball, but instead they choose to do no creative thinking and just put them all in cars.

And they could easily do awesome little homages, like Ryo in his forklift or a Panzer Dragoon dragon or a Crazy Taxi, but YOU KNOW THEY WON'T.

Sega sucks.

ReiGun

Maybe Sonic's car is secretly one of those Flintstones-type deals where he has to run to make it move?

I do enjoy a good kart racer, so I'll watch out for this one.

RobbieNick

I'd much, much rather have this than another "Riders" game. Much more cartoony and "Mario-Kart" like.
Why doesn't Sonic just run? Why does he have to be in a vehicle.

Because it's FAIR that way, you dumbfucks! If he was allowed to run while everyone else was driving, he'd beat them in a second. This is why M&S at the Olympics and Sonic R made no sense! When he's on foot with the others, he could beat them by a country mile!

Anyway, the game looks like fun, if not a rip-off of Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing. I like how the vehicles match the personalities of the characters. Although, I gotta say, Sonic's looks like a blue 60's Batmobile.

I'm holding my breath 'till I get an SD Wilken (from Valkeria Chronicles) riding in a mini-tank kart! Make it happen Sega!!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Danielsan said:
Just watched the trailer, someone has been watching Speed Racer...
The new movie, or the old TV series? Loved the new movie, could only be a good thing imo (actual Speed Racer movie game notwithstanding :lol)

/can't watch the trailer for myself right now

RobbieNick said:
Because it's FAIR that way, you dumbfucks! If he was allowed to run while everyone else was driving, he'd beat them in a second. This is why M&S at the Olympics and Sonic R made no sense! When he's on foot with the others, he could beat them by a country mile!

really? really?

Dubble

I think I could (maybe) like this. Looks kind of bland and simple (which I appreciate to be frank since Sega tended to go overboard with stuff like this in the past) but then again it also looks and feels way more approachable than Riders did IMO (Cartoony yes, but way too X-TREEEEEEEEEME to really be likeable) and doesn't seem to come across as being anywhere near mediocre as R did.

I think Sonic on foot while everyone else compensates with a vehicle (barring Eggman or Amy who have always had something of the sort in Sonic racing games) would bug me a lot more. While Sonic on foot feels more natural because we know the other characters can race him that way (Sonic R) or that there will be some kind of gimmick to compensate (Sonic Riders), I think that having Sonic on foot while everyone else is in a vehicle would probably feel a bit awkward in terms of the game design - how do you do items with no car? Specialty tricks, etc etc etc. Plus this puts Sonic a bit more on par with everyone else in terms of speed and makes it come across as being balanced. In this case, Sonic in a car (at least here) just makes better sense. Not to mention that this is a racing game, and as such handling the vehicle is supposed to be part of the challenge. If Sonic is just running, that either gives him an unfair advantage, or you have a running character that handles like a car, which would incredibly awkward and strange to control (see Sonic R).

Plus I'm hoping this game would be way less gimmicky than Riders in general. Racing games shouldn't have insane learning curves. :p

Anybody else kind of feel like this is a sort of spiritual sequel to Drift? Maybe its the design of his car (colored blue here). Nice to see them use a bit of continuity with the design of Amy's car and have a variety in the car designs via Eggman and Tails (it'd be pretty cool for Tails to have limited flight capability while no one else does or Eggman compensating for lack of speed by being a powerhouse with missiles). Here's hoping it won't have any of Drift's suck though. "Drift done right" would actually be nice.

jump_button said:
why dont they make sonic game for his own world like this any more?

xp0xfc.jpg

go home sonic! no more roads no more boring around the human world shit go back to your own seting's the greenhill zone waiting for you
This racetrack probably has more alternate routes than any recent Sonic game.

Gagaman

Guybrush Threepwood said:
really? really?
Is Sonic driving a car really that big of an issue? Really? Really?

Can't belive what a big deal so many are making about such a pointless detail. I guess you gotta complain about something. :lol

But yeah, it would be funny if Robotnik was on foot, and outran everyone ala the mega Drive games. :lol

RobbieNick

Dubble said:
I think I could (maybe) like this. Looks kind of bland and simple (which I appreciate to be frank since Sega tended to go overboard with stuff like this in the past) but then again it also looks and feels way more approachable than Riders did IMO (Cartoony yes, but way too X-TREEEEEEEEEME to really be likeable) and doesn't seem to come across as being anywhere near mediocre as R did.

I think Sonic on foot while everyone else compensates with a vehicle (barring Eggman or Amy who have always had something of the sort in Sonic racing games) would bug me a lot more. While Sonic on foot feels more natural because we know the other characters can race him that way (Sonic R) or that there will be some kind of gimmick to compensate (Sonic Riders), I think that having Sonic on foot while everyone else is in a vehicle would probably feel a bit awkward in terms of the game design - how do you do items with no car? Specialty tricks, etc etc etc. Plus this puts Sonic a bit more on par with everyone else in terms of speed and makes it come across as being balanced. In this case, Sonic in a car (at least here) just makes better sense. Not to mention that this is a racing game, and as such handling the vehicle is supposed to be part of the challenge. If Sonic is just running, that either gives him an unfair advantage, or you have a running character that handles like a car, which would incredibly awkward and strange to control (see Sonic R).

Plus I'm hoping this game would be way less gimmicky than Riders in general. Racing games shouldn't have insane learning curves. :p

Anybody else kind of feel like this is a sort of spiritual sequel to Drift? Maybe its the design of his car (colored blue here). Nice to see them use a bit of continuity with the design of Amy's car and have a variety in the car designs via Eggman and Tails (it'd be pretty cool for Tails to have limited flight capability while no one else does or Eggman compensating for lack of speed by being a powerhouse with missiles). Here's hoping it won't have any of Drift's suck though. "Drift done right" would actually be nice.

QFT!! Wait, is this Dubs?

Morbidly curious. I'm with whoever said the Green Hill track image is more heartbreaking than any Sonic game screenshot before it. Such a rich iconic history from the 16-Bit games and it takes Sumo Digital and random offshoot sports games to even reference and use it again.

Character roster is everything though. Can't say I particularly care for the third rate shit characters like Samba and AiAi when people like Ryo, Virtual On VR's, Skies of Arcadia and more would be greatly appreciated and a nice different flavour to "cutesy mascot shit".

Ryo racing in his forklift versus a Panzer Dragoon style Imperial Gunner ship with baby dragon coolia following it and Orta in the cockpit would make me flip my shit.

Edit:
34h9b7p.jpg

You owe me this much at least, Sega :|

Dubble

SecretBonusPoint said:
Panzer Dragoon style Imperial Gunner ship with baby dragon coolia following it and Orta in the cockpit would make me flip my shit.

Agreed - while I like Aiai and Samba and Nights and Ulala are already a given, it would be nice to see a broader Sega spectrum represented all across the board. Alas, I don't have any hopes at all that this would ever actually happen. So...

**shrugs** Eh. It is what it is.

Why is Sonic driving the Batmobile? Where the fuck is his sword? How could you have a Sonic game without his sword!?

I hope the cars work similar to the cars from The Flintstones, cause driving would just slow Sonic down.

S0L

SUMO DIGITAL
Guybrush Threepwood said:
Seriously, why can't Sega show a little creativity with this game?

They could easily make a combination of Sonic R and Diddy Kong Racing, with Sonic on foot, Robotnik in his hovercraft, Tails in his plane, the monkey in a Monkey Ball, but instead they choose to do no creative thinking and just put them all in cars.

And they could easily do awesome little homages, like Ryo in his forklift or a Panzer Dragoon dragon or a Crazy Taxi, but YOU KNOW THEY WON'T.

Sega sucks.

And you know for sure that these things aren't in the game?

You might be in for a surprise :)

---
S0L
---

Slavik81

This could be good. There have been other games every bit as good as Mario Kart before.
Both Diddy Kong Racing and Snowboard Kids were fantastic games.

I'll give Sega the benefit of the doubt this time. And by that I mean I'll actually read a review instead of dismissing it outright like they've taught me to do over these past few years.

I'm not going to condemn it just yet - Eggman in a monster truck is an idea I can get behind, really.

But yeah. Sonic has no use for a car. Tell me: If you could run faster than most vehicles, would you really want to limit your mobility and agility by sitting in the driver's seat? Even if everybody else in the game drove cars and Sonic didn't, that would be ridiculous and awesome.

I can imagine a character like Sonic absolutely loathing the idea of having to drive a car during a race (the same could be said for any speed-based character, like The Flash).

I just hope this game doesn't turn out to be as vanilla and underwhelming as Sega Superstars Tennis (who am I kidding?).

Slavik81

It doesn't matter,
now what happens,
I will never give up the fight!
As long as the voice inside drives me to run and fight,
it doesn't matter who is wrong and who is right.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This game is officially going to be a failure. Almost 200 posts and not one excite? Excitebots needed 500 less posts to get to such a simple comment.

pakkit

Banned
BGBW said:
This game is officially going to be a failure. Almost 200 posts and not one excite? Excitebots needed 500 less posts to get to such a simple comment.
But Excitebots failed.

Awesome but needs cameos from Sonic R's list.

Tails Doll needs to be there and so does Metal Knuckles.

Also Richard Jacques and TJ Davis better be doing the soundtrack! It would be the greatest racing game soundtrack ever

Zen

Banned
As long as Sonic is on foot and everyone else has a car of some sort... and it has wacky awesome music, and rings.

I want to buy this, hopefully it doesn't suck!

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK WHY IS SONIC IN A CAR YOU DUMB SHITS PUT HIM ON FOOT AND HE"LL BE JUST AS FAST IF NOT FASTER THAN ANYONE ELSE JESUS STOP SHITTING UP.

Top Bottom