• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

gwiz210 said:
So they found an mp3 of Weezer's Buddy Holly on the website. Sega's licensing the song for total early 90s nostalgia?
TBQH I would love for that song to be this game's vocal theme song that all Sonic games seem to have these days.

I saw the text for that, but I figured it was a placeholder joke, like some of the other things scribbled in. I tried several variants on the link and they all seemed dead. Did they find an actual mp3?

gwiz210

Kulock said:
I saw the text for that, but I figured it was a placeholder joke, like some of the other things scribbled in. I tried several variants on the link and they all seemed dead. Did they find an actual mp3?
Yes but sega took it down quickly.

I guess the advantage of the game being divided into Episodes is that if Episode 1 is horrible, we don't have to buy the rest of the game.

That being said, I willing to give Sega the benefit of the doubt for the first Episode. Hopefully Sega puts enough thought into the level design.

gwiz210 said:
Yes but sega took it down quickly.
No one grab it in time?

RPG_Fanatic said:
I guess the advantage of the game being divided into Episodes is that if Episode 1 is horrible, we don't have to buy the rest of the game.

That being said, I willing to give Sega the benefit of the doubt for the first Episode. Hopefully Sega puts enough thought into the level design.
I feel that somehow they are taking a sonci 1-2-3k approach, episode 1 = first 6-7 zones, episode 2 = 6-7 more but includes a new character (tails?) who can also go back and play the first ep1 zones as a bonus "lock-on", same for ep3 with knuckles.

So in the end you get like 21 zones and 3 characters, maybe some early levels have areas sonic alone can not reach...

Chao

KAL2006 said:
exactly the new Mario design simply allowed Nintendo to use the concept art design ingame, because of better graphical powers of newer consoles.

So basically, all Sega needed to do was make a 3D version of their old concept art
SonicCover2.jpg
Fixed that for you. Jesus, american Sonic was SO ugly

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This announcement has inspired me to go back and play all the old games.
The music in the marble zone in Sonic1 is so smooth.

With so many people hating the design, I'm surprised nobody pointed out that it resembles the art direction for the new Rocket Knight game.

Psy-Phi

I'm surprised so many people hate it. My friends and I at work are very excited -- saw that after watching a quick look of WKC from GB (showed up in the list of stuff to see after it was over).

jrricky

Banned
BTW, did this thread get merged with the other thread?

Also, potbelly sonic looks absolutely terribly. It amazes me how people (the sonic crazies) like that art.:lol

Do we know if this will have *shudder* voice acting? It's gonna suck if we're gonna have to listen to Sonic shout things every time he does something like jump.

BocoDragon said:
Even the Canadian Genesis version had that art :D

soniccanada.png
The pal box for sonic 1 will always be the strongest feeling I have for sonic, it was pink! yet somehow fitting, the cool little doodles of robotnik and sonic's little friends, oh man I don't think there has ever been a box art that has sunk into my memory as much as the pal sonic 1 box.

When I think of sonic, this is always one of the first things I remember, this here is the real sonic.

GoldandBlue said:
Do we know if this will have *shudder* voice acting? It's gonna suck if we're gonna have to listen to Sonic shout things every time he does something like jump.
I assume it will be like Sonic Rush

voice clips every so often, but not when you jump

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Diablohead said:
The pal box for sonic 1 will always be the strongest feeling I have for sonic, it was pink! yet somehow fitting, the cool little doodles of robotnik and sonic's little friends, oh man I don't think there has ever been a box art that has sunk into my memory as much as the pal sonic 1 box.

When I think of sonic, this is always one of the first things I remember, this here is the real sonic.
The Japanese box art was great IMO. It had the same Sonic, but I feel that the box style accurately captured Sonic's bright funky design.

sonic1-jp-front.jpg

I have this release and the manual is full of great full color art and cute engrish inspirational slogans... Non-Japan Sonic games have never had great manuals!

Also the Japanese cart is actually Sonic version 2 with parallaxing clouds and a few bug fixes.

Teknoman

Jtwo said:
This announcement has inspired me to go back and play all the old games.
The music in the marble zone in Sonic1 is so smooth.

Theres a topic for that too.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19636794#post19636794

ShockingAlberto said:
I assume it will be like Sonic Rush

voice clips every so often, but not when you jump

I'd take that. Especially if its like in CD, a quick "yeah!" for a 1up. Maybe something else for speed shoes, but nothing where its repeated over and over.

Diablohead said:

PAL/EURO/AU/CAN Box art is BY FAR the best box art for Sonic 1 and pretty much any Sonic game.

Now that I think of it, the Americans got screwed on pretty much all Sonic box arts if I'm not mistaken.

Sonic looks like a fat weirdo on the US Sonic box art

Calcaneus

I think some people are so afraid of "getting caught in the cycle" that they are looking for as many reasons as they can find to be dissapointed. Just let it flow, we'll have much more interesting discussions on its shitty-ness when it comes out.

And the animations are obviously not final, they would be insane to have his full speed animation look like that.

BocoDragon said:
The Japanese box art was great IMO. It had the same Sonic, but I feel that the box style accurately captured Sonic's bright funky design.

sonic1-jp-front.jpg

I have this release and the manual is full of great full color art and cute engrish inspirational slogans... Non-Japan Sonic games have never had great manuals!

Also the Japanese cart is actually Sonic version 2 with parallaxing clouds and a few bug fixes.

FUCK!! I used to own that :(

I can't believe I gave away all my Genesis games like they were useless when I got hooked onto PSOne... :(

Rlan

2 Minutes Turkish said:
PAL/EURO/AU/CAN Box art is BY FAR the best box art for Sonic 1 and pretty much any Sonic game.

Now that I think of it, the Americans got screwed on pretty much all Sonic box arts if I'm not mistaken.

Sonic looks like a fat weirdo on the US Sonic box art

Sonic 3 went weird everywhere:

Sonic3Cover-1.jpg

Old Sonic boxes were good, but these fan-made ones I posted in another thread are off the hook:

SecretBonusPoint said:
Happened across these gorgeous remade boxarts on the interwebs and figured this topic would be the one to share them in:
30mtlat.jpg

2qncv4p.jpg

14j2jyv.jpg

10cm2w4.jpg

Sonic 2 one is amazing, but they all remind me of happier days for the franchise...

Printable versions available here: http://www.vgboxart.com/author/reza/&sect=boxes

Really shows how bad-ass the classic art-style was compared to grinny-twat Sonic we're inflicted with these days.

I see SEGA is trying to emulate the success of New Super Mario Bros.

They're making a huge mistake with the episodic content nonsense though. If they'd put together a complete retail package I think it would sell like gangbusters, assuming it mimics the old Sonic formula that people know ala NSMBWii.

Also, I hate 2.5d. It looks decent enough, sure, but it's inferior to the hand drawn stuff. Few people would argue this. And they used a fucking ugly Sonic model, out of all the wonderful choices they had. I thought Sonic looked funny running in Rush with his long legs, and he looks funny here.

Whatever. Disappointed, yes, but if it's fun, I don't care!

Firestorm

BocoDragon said:
Wait, so that's why I had that version? I was so confused as a kid. I actually had two Genesis systems and 2 Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Got my first from my uncle when he first came to the country via the US and it was the American box art. It was stolen during a burglary and my parents bought another Genesis for my birthday later. I got Sonic the Hedgehog again and it was this box art. Damn. Over 15 years later I find out why!

Rlan said:
Sonic 3 went weird everywhere:

Sonic3Cover-1.jpg
At S3 launch they used the jungle artwork on the box in the UK, no idea how long for as I was too young/poor to own a copy so had to rent it for a long time.

I know a lot of people from the sonic community know this but since it was pointed out it's so damn obvious that sonic's hands on that box are saying "sonic 3, part 1" (and we also have that piece of artwork with the lights along the bottom saying "part 1 of 2" also.

Rlan

Diablohead said:
At S3 launch they used the jungle artwork on the box in the UK, no idea how long for as I was too young/poor to own a copy so had to rent it for a long time.

I know a lot of people from the sonic community know this but since it was pointed out it's so damn obvious that sonic's hands on that box are saying "sonic 3, part 1" (and we also have that piece of artwork with the lights along the bottom saying "part 1 of 2" also.
Those still said Genesis though, right? I saw them mostly at video rental places, i assumed they just imported them or something.

Ten-Song

Anth0ny said:
Old Mario design: Reminds us of the good old days
New Mario design: Reminds us of the good new days

Old Sonic design: Reminds us of the good old days
New Sonic design: ...

Pretty much. Really makes me retroactively wish I had backed Nintendo instead of Sega way back in the day. If I was a Mario fan way back then and not a Sonic fan, I wouldn't have anything to be bitter about these days. I never have to worry about a proper Mario title being a poorly designed schizophrenic mess.

Ten-Song said:
Pretty much. Really makes me retroactively wish I had backed Nintendo instead of Sega way back in the day. If I was a Mario fan way back then and not a Sonic fan, I wouldn't have anything to be bitter about these days. I never have to worry about a proper Mario title being a poorly designed schizophrenic mess.

Yeah but you woudnlt have had as much fun, or been as excited back then either.

I don't regret my decision one bit.

Ironically it's Mario KART 64 that converted me from a Segabot into a multiplatform owner. Mario 64 just made me love Sonic more.

Alphahawk

Diablohead said:

Shit, that's awesome. This needs to go in the Mindblowing Video Game Facts thread now.

Did Sonic and Knuckles continue this trend? Also where does it say "part one of two"?

It's kind of funny because in the US and the UK handled the whole thing in completely seperate ways. To the point where, as a US resident, I only relized recently that Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3 were at one point supposed to be the same game...

Brera

Banned
I am impressed. Not played a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 and Rush 1.

I played the 3 second clip a few times and it has potential. It's avoided the first pitful that most download games have fallen into and doesn't look like a bland flash based game.

Love the detail and parallax scrolling present. Just hope the music is like Sonic 1 and 2, not Sonic 3!

Alphahawk said:
Shit, that's awesome. This needs to go in the Mindblowing Video Game Facts thread now.

Did Sonic and Knuckles continue this trend? Also where does it say "part one of two"?

It's kind of funny because in the US and the UK handled the whole thing in completely seperate ways. To the point where, as a US resident, I only relized recently that Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3 were at one point supposed to be the same game...
I am on my iPod touch now so I can't really dig up the info but I'm sure rlan or sega1991 could explain more. There is a full piece of artwork of the sonic 3 carnival picture where there is some writing along the bottom of the roler coaster, which is removed on the box art version.

Jingle's at http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicTheHedgehog4/swf/sound.mp3 , I see a few things I want to pull out...

Edit: I like how it loads up a meg and a half flv of clouds. Pretty to look at by itself, though.

Alphahawk said:

On the right is a piece of art found in the Sonic Screensaver for the PC, take a look at the bottom.

Sonic3Cover-1.jpg
Sonic3-Part1-SonicScreensaver.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Firestorm said:
Wait, so that's why I had that version? I was so confused as a kid. I actually had two Genesis systems and 2 Sonic the Hedgehog games.

Got my first from my uncle when he first came to the country via the US and it was the American box art. It was stolen during a burglary and my parents bought another Genesis for my birthday later. I got Sonic the Hedgehog again and it was this box art. Damn. Over 15 years later I find out why!
Yup. The basic idea is that Irwin distributed Sega stuff in Canada during the late 80s and very early 90s... and their plan was basically to put "Genesis" on the PAL box art and call it a day. It even says "For Use With The Sega Mega Drive Video Entertainment System" on the bottom of the art. All early Canadian Genesis games were like this.

Eventually Sega themselves (Sega of America?) took over Canadian distribution so around 1992 or so we started to see regular USA box art in Canada.

Roto13

This thread makes me want to go back and play some classic Sonic. I almsot want to say something positive about Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, but I won't.

Diablohead said:

:O You said the f-word!

Calcaneus

So we had Street Fighter 4, now we have Sonic 4. Is there any chance on earth Nintendo goes all out and makes a SMB 4? Or should we just consider SMW to be the unofficial "4" at this point?

Top Bottom