• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will do a stream to show important people my master Bubsy skills.

I poured sweat (not really), blood (not really) and thrown controllers (not really) into those games as a kid.

qq more

Aero the Acrobat was okay. Only reason I played it was because it came with the SNES (which also came with Stunt Race FX) I bought on ebay 2 years ago.

Also tigger I'd watch the livestream as I've never played Bubsy and never seen much of the 16bit games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bubsy falls into the same category as Aero the Acrobat, Awesome the Possum, etc etc to me. Pretenders to various crowns.
Same.

If so, that's probably the better side of the potential reactions you could get.
Haha, probably. This week's going to either destroy me or wear me down if I haven't already been worn down a ton.

I will do a stream to show important people my master Bubsy skills.
I'd like to see these mad skillz.

Aero the Acrobat was okay. Only reason I played it was because it came with the SNES (which also came with Stunt Race FX) I bought on ebay 2 years ago.
Love that game even if it's actually kind of poor.
Why the hell isn't it on the VC? curse you super FX chip!

Haha, probably. This week's going to either destroy me or wear me down if I haven't already been worn down a ton.

You'll have to go Darkspine Schala to stand a chance.

Bubsy falls into the same category as Aero the Acrobat, Awesome the Possum, etc etc to me. Pretenders to various crowns.

We all know there's only one non-Sonic character out of the furry mascots with 'tude 90s phenomenon that matters, anyway.

Rocket-knight-adventure.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
High Seas Havoc was a pretty awesome Genesis "Sonic Clone", anyone remember that?

The main character was Seal Sonic.

So cool!

You're just making me grateful that my college years are two years over.

Instead, I have deadlines! That's... not exactly an improvement, but at least there's no study sessions. There are crunch sessions, though, with late nights and the like. Fun.

We all know there's only one non-Sonic character out of the furry mascots with 'tude 90s phenomenon that matters, anyway.

Rocket-knight-adventure.jpg
I need to play this game more thoroughly at some point. I've only played, like, the first stage.

High Seas Havoc was a pretty awesome Genesis "Sonic Clone", anyone remember that?

The main character was Seal Sonic.

So cool!
Actually, yes. My friend lent this to me as a kid in an exchange (I forget what I lent him, though). It was quite fun! But I had great difficulty with the third world, where you're being chased by an undefeatable giant flame. Thing scared the shit out of me. Went to replay it recently, it's held up better than it has any right to.

Good non-Sonic Genesis platformers:
Rocket Knight Adventures(still haven't played Sparkster)
EWJ1/2
ToeJam and Earl 2
Pulseman
Ghouls N' Ghosts

Ristar...I wished I liked Ristar more

There's a bunch of good action titles that I probably wouldn't put in the "platformer" section: Shinobi 3, Mega Turrican(this entire series is HIGHLY underrated), Castlevania Bloodlines(> SCV4, yeah I said it), Comix Zone, Ranger X, Vectorman, Contra: Hard Corps...

Finally playing Ristar all the way through this year left me feeling it was noticeably flawed which is a shame as the concept itself is great as are the visuals.
Why the hell is he on the right half of the screen?! who thought that was a good idea? combine that with the mad burst of speed in water sections and you've got a game were the mere act of moving forwards is a danger in itself.
Arm movement is finicky as well.

Why the hell is he on the right half of the screen?!

I ask myself that all the time playing EWJ. He's almost always on the right side of the screen

jbbCT6nZVaYTVW.PNG

Combine that with some of the most questionable collision detection this side of DKC1, and I feel like I'm always just running into shit in that game.

qq more

Good non-Sonic Genesis platformers:
Rocket Knight Adventures(still haven't played Sparkster)
EWJ1/2
ToeJam and Earl 2
Pulseman
Ghouls N' Ghosts

Ristar...I wished I liked Ristar more

There's a bunch of good action titles that I probably wouldn't put in the "platformer" section: Shinobi 3, Mega Turrican(this entire series is HIGHLY underrated), Castlevania Bloodlines(> SCV4, yeah I said it), Comix Zone, Ranger X, Vectorman, Contra: Hard Corps...

Dynamite Headdy is pretty good too.

Castlevania Bloodlines(> SCV4, yeah I said it)

Thank you. SCIV is great the first time through, then gets boring as hell during any subsequent playthrough. Bloodlines' more arcade-like nature worked out better. (Yamane soundtrack is a huge plus, too.)

Finally playing Ristar all the way through this year left me feeling it was noticeably flawed which is a shame as the concept itself is great as are the visuals.
Why the hell is he on the right half of the screen?! who thought that was a good idea? combine that with the mad burst of speed in water sections and you've got a game were the mere act of moving forwards is a danger in itself.
Arm movement is finicky as well.

Ristar is one of those rare Genesis/Game Gear releases where I'd say the Game Gear version is arguably the more enjoyable version. The Genesis version looks and plays nice, but it gets flat-out unfair in the later parts of the game.

Edit: Dynamite Headdy is another great one, yeah.

Kokonoe

Banned
I played Ristar recently and I was kinda surprised at the quality put into it. It gives me strong vibes of it being a SEGA Kirby. I think if I was younger and played it, it would have been a lot more appealing, at least during the genesis days. It's kinda hard, but it's also fun to play at the same time. I like that there isn't a timer because that gives me time to just swing on things endlessly for fun.

I ask myself that all the time playing EWJ. He's almost always on the right side of the screen

http://i.minus.com/jbbCT6nZVaYTVW.PNG[IMG]

Combine that with some of the most questionable collision detection this side of DKC1, and I feel like I'm always just running into shit in that game.[/QUOTE]
I'll need to replay it to refresh my memory, but the only version I have right now is the HD version, can't remember what the reception to that one was.

Not too big on EJ2, mini games everywhere.

[quote="Green Scar, post: 45219313"]Man, I fucking hate Earthworm Jim.[/QUOTE]
This ain't GROOVY.

[quote="qq more, post: 45219388"]Dynamite Headdy is pretty good too.[/QUOTE]
I can't get into this one, I just need to put more time I think, I actually started it up again last week only to keep walking into those challenge houses near the start and wondering why the game was making me chore myself out hitting like 100 plus targets, curse my curiosity.

[quote="Seven Force, post: 45219402"][I]Thank you.[/I] SCIV is great the first time through, then gets boring as hell during any subsequent playthrough. Bloodlines' more arcade-like nature worked out better. (Yamane soundtrack is a huge plus, too.)

Ristar is one of those rare Genesis/Game Gear releases where I'd say the Game Gear version is arguably the more enjoyable version. The Genesis version looks and plays nice, but it gets flat-out unfair in the later parts of the game.

Edit: Dynamite Headdy is another great one, yeah.[/QUOTE]
Bloodlines was the first CV game I played but i've never seen beyond the first stage, definitely on my to do list and another instance where I will say "what the hell Virtual console?! where is it?!".
I think I prefer CV3 to SC4, Rondo is okay but I don't like how ineffective the whip can feel at times, like the enemies don't even slow down when hit, also Shaft's ghost is a prick.

I didn't even know there was a Game Gear Ristar, intriguing, speaking of the Game Gear i've heard good things about the Shinobi GG game.
So many platformers or action platformers i've still got to play.

The HD version is mixed for me. It makes the water level, like, playable by normal humans, but they changed Jim's voice and that's totally not groovy. And there's some animation/sound changes that I think are just...straight up inferior to the other versions, especially the Sega CD one.

TheOGB

Banned
I would love a Ristar remake/HD rerelease. I did really like the game, but it was flawed and I would love to see it improved.

I liked Rocket Knight. New one didn't end up wowing me as much as I'd hoped, but it was decent.

Sciz

Public Service Announcement: If Wreck-It Ralph is out in your region and you haven't gone to see it yet, go see it. Not for the cameos, because those really aren't a major part of the film (though Sonic's in there a good half-dozen times), but because it's just a damn good Disney movie with a remarkably well-done videogame theme.

No game comes close to questionable collision detection quite like Bubsy. If an enemy breathes on you, DEATH.

Only men can conquer that game.

And I still don't get this whole questionable collision detection thing with the DKC series...do you guys have like twitchy fingers or something?

Speaking of Wreck it Ralph, I would be extremely happy if Vaneloppe and King Candy were added to the Transformed roster as DLC, maybe even a Suger Rush level on top of that (which could basically serve as a Sweet Mountain stage as well.) Please Sumo do it!

TheOGB

Banned
If they made a racing game that played like Sugar Rush I would buy the shit out of it.

Luckily, the closest thing is SASRT, which I already have

TheOGB

Banned
You can still do that

play online and bump into somebody

Actually that would probably be more along the lines of going Turbo

Stop embracing bad Sonic games!

At least 06 has the courtesy to let you know this game sucks.

CD tries to make you think it's a decent game when it's really stylized garbage...if that.

qq more

Easy reasons why Sonic CD is better than Sonic 06

Levels aren't overly long
Level design when its at its worst doesn't involve broken mach speed and billiard ball puzzles
The controls actually works
No awful glitches that punishes you for no reason
It's playable
Superior OST from both American and Europe/Japan
No Human X Hedgehog action

I can go on and on and on but I named some off the top of my head

I'm gonna ask you... where did you stopped at in 06? I'm convinced you only scratched the surface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom