• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you want to see whether or not their conference will be a complete trainwreck like the 2010 one?

Yeah, but now they're all recorded! And they're too self-aware of WOOON MILLION TROOOOPS so they killed that. It's like when the developers put in special notices for teabagging in shooters, or when your dad starts saying "Owned!", killed the joke entirely.

And now Contra got cancelled and now I'm sad as hell

:(

Sciz

Hold the phone. So... no one played The Lone Ranger? Because that game was actually pretty good. And this...

...blew my mind when I was younger.

Thinking of Konami's golden days makes me feel incredibly sad.

I don't think so! One of the many things I've been meaning to get around to is an "everyone else is LTTP" thread about it here since it's been mentioned on GAF something like half a dozen times ever. There was barely even any footage on Youtube until a couple years ago.

You know what I used to like about sonic team that made them feel special when they put downloadable content for Christmas and Halloween and I wonder why they discontinued that

Free holiday content died when producing assets started taking an entire team of dudes a month.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
tiggerkiddo said:
It has been overused but I don't even get why you hate it so much...I've heard far worse...*coughxiii-2cough*
Because, and I'll be blunt, I find it annoying and extremely repetitive because it's been used in several soundtracks prior to the Wii U one? It smacks of a lack of creativity on their part.

WiewtifulJC said:
Yeah, but now they're all recorded! And they're too self-aware of WOOON MILLION TROOOOPS so they killed that. It's like when the developers put in special notices for teabagging in shooters, or when your dad starts saying "Owned!", killed the joke entirely.

And now Contra got cancelled and now I'm sad as hell

:(
Yeah, what the fuck. I remember reading through the 2010 thread on GAF at the time because I didn't have posting privileges yet, and having a laugh for an entire night because Konami was so stupid that they let the thing loop over and over and over.

And then for the 2011 one, I was sooo excited. And then it was revealed to be recorded and dumb. They completely forgot what made the 2010 conference so special.
-Tak Fujii
-Naoki Maeda being VERY VERY EXCITE
-Those Mexican Wrestler dudes
-The creeper guy during the Silent Hill thing
-This guy talking about a shmup and then the trailer rolls with some kawaii uguu shit and he looks incredibly awkward
-Russel Simmons talking about white space and Obama
-Some glee thing i dunno

Now their conferences suck because they're so scripted.

I hate how they treat their IPs. I can't stand it.

Sciz said:
I don't think so! One of the many things I've been meaning to get around to is an "everyone else is LTTP" thread about it here since it's been mentioned on GAF something like half a dozen times ever. There was barely even any footage on Youtube until a couple years ago.
Huuuuuh... Wonder if it had a low print run or something. Or it might've been sent to die.

That's a shame because it handles decently, imo. I got it as a hand-me-down, so I wouldn't know about its availability at the time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Because it's annoying?
The instrument samples are awful?
I don't like the compositional quality all that much either.

I don't know what else I can say to explain why I don't like it. I think it's actively irritating to listen to. Now if it were something like Rayman Origins' Lums of the Water, then I'd get the adoration for it because that BGM has several movements, excellent backing instrumentation, and harmonies. The NSMB music by contrast doesn't. It's incredibly one-note.

Which is abysmal considering how good Mario soundtracks were in the past.

Go to any other Mario game, even the rpg spin offs, and you can find a better soundtrack then the empire strikes BAHck.

qq more

I find NSMB music really catchy so I still like the soundtrack... and the Bah Bahs ironically.

but yeah I wish they'd stop rehashing songs.

Because it's annoying?

I don't know what else I can say to explain why I don't like it. I think it's actively irritating to listen to. Now if it were something like Rayman Origins' Lums of the Water, then I'd get the adoration for it because that BGM has several movements, excellent backing instrumentation, and harmonies. The NSMB music by contrast doesn't. It's incredibly one-note.

Conversely I find lums of the water one of the most grating tracks in Origins and it's probably my least favourite from that game, I sort of get the praise (instreumentally I like it a lot) yet its position as the go to track for the game loses me entirely, guess i'm not a fan of the way it just breaks down into seemingly random wailing towards the end.
Yet I love The Lum King which has equal amounts of high pitched warbling as well as the Sea of Serendipity map that uses the same tune as lums of the water just with good old reliable whistling, strange old world.

You know because everyone always goes on about lums of the water I feel the rest of the soundtrack is often ignored.
The Darktoon Chase
Frozen Paradise
Lost Beats
Land of the Livid Dead
Okay so that last one probably gets a fair few mentions.

Yes this was just an excuse to drop in a bunch of Origins music, i've been replaying it this week so sue me.

Sciz

There's a fine line between whimsical and cloying that Mario used to be able to toe pretty well. Then they took a decade off and NSMB's music did a triple jump over the line and took off straight into the sky.

Infected by Mario Kart and the like in the interim, I guess. edit: Sunshine's music did plenty to poison the well too.

Huuuuuh... Wonder if it had a low print run or something. Or it might've been sent to die.

That's a shame because it handles decently, imo. I got it as a hand-me-down, so I wouldn't know about its availability at the time.

My guess is that being an NES game released in summer 1991 with a license that was thirty years past being relevant didn't help it any. Apparently a bunch of older TV licenses' existing game rights contracts all expired around the same time, which is why there was a sudden rash of stuff like this and Gilligan's Island for a couple years.

Because it's annoying?

The instrument samples are awful? They sounded fine to me. But agree to disagree again.

There's a fine line between whimsical and cloying that Mario used to be able to toe pretty well. Then they took a decade off and NSMB's music did a triple jump over the line and took off straight into the sky.

Infected by Mario Kart and the like in the interim, I guess. edit: Sunshine's music did plenty to poison the well too.

No.

Wait wait wait wait WAIT...Sunshine did it's part to poison the well?! WHAT?! Sunshine has some fantastic music and it fits in very well with the tropical and colorful setting. This hate...I don't understand.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes this was just an excuse to drop in a bunch of Origins music, i've been replaying it this week so sue me.
I wanna add:
The Abyss
First Staffs
Edit: Breaking the Ice

I guess what I really loved about the soundtrack was its diversity and compositional quality. I came away very impressed and I'm glad I put it in the Top 3. It kinda eats away at me that I didn't put Sonic Generations in the Top 3 last year, but I thought it was fair to keep it out considering the majority of the soundtrack was arrangements.

edit: Sunshine's music did plenty to poison the well too.
Dropping truth bombs in here.

My guess is that being an NES game released in summer 1991 with a license that was thirty years past being relevant didn't help it any. Apparently a bunch of older TV licenses' existing game rights contracts all expired around the same time, which is why there was a sudden rash of stuff like this and Gilligan's Island for a couple years.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. Still with that in mind, I'm surprised the game ended up being pretty good (though to be fair it was 1991).

The instrument samples are awful? They sounded fine to me.
It's become very clear to me throughout our various discussions that you and I have different definitions as to what constitutes good instrument samples. Thus I'd like to cut the argument short here because it's just going to go around in circles.

Plus I have a bit of a short fuse today (read: lately, lol). The studying and no sleep is not helping any.

Oh my internet went up the shoot before I could fix the darktoon link, bloody hell.
Well I hate leaving conversations unfinished so mobile gaf to my aid.
- the sound samples in nsmb are indeed crap, same thing happened to other Nintendo titles this gen like twilight princess, dkcr and maybe metroid prime 3. Eats me up it does.
- Sunshine has pretty swell tunes you crooks!

Now I've got to go fix this mess of mine, and by now I mean tomorrow.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I brought this up in the "character model thread", but does anyone know if there's ever been official word on Robotnik purposefully invoking the Red Scare Communism imagery?

Besides his name having Communist roots, I noticed that his color-scheme itself is basically the U.S.S.R flag and his whole modus operandi of taking away free will and turning everyone into mindless robots without individuality seems like the cartoonish view of Communism you usually see in anti-Communist rhetoric.

Nert

Soundtrack of the year stuff

Powering through The Walking Dead (and writing about it in the spoiler thread) these past few days has left me with less time for thread lurking, so I'm a little late here.

I'm not actually going to write up a vote of my own until the voting period is almost closed. I'm hoping to take a more active role in fostering conversation and I want to make sure that I'm keeping an open mind myself. Having said that, I think that there is a decent list of game soundtracks that at least deserve a listen. In no meaningful order,

1) Journey: The first videogame soundtrack to be nominated for a Grammy, this is really some wonderful stuff. If nothing else, listen to the much raved about I Was Born For This.

2) Fez: Minimalist and mysterious. This is probably my most played soundtrack this year, as it's great background music for working and reading. SPOILERS: Click this to see an excellent pairing of a song with level design.

3) Dustforce: The mellow vibe of this music provides an interesting contrast to the breakneck, speed running focus of the actual game that can really help you enter a sort of zen like mode while you're playing. Watch this video to see what I mean.

4) Hotline Miami: So much style. It immediately reminds me of Drive's soundtrack, which can only a good thing.

5) Botanicula: I love the bizarre vocal samples ("Yoohoo!") and the general infectious enthusiasm that it gives off. Another example of a perfect pairing of music and setting. Listen to level 3 if you haven't yet.

Other stray mentions: Dear Esther, Asura's Wrath, Max Payne 3, Gravity Rush, Skullgirls, Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (this song might be my favorite of the year), Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure. I'm also liking what I'm hearing from Nintendoland, although it's primarily remixes and arrangements.

Sciz

Wait wait wait wait WAIT...Sunshine did it's part to poison the well?! WHAT?! Sunshine has some fantastic music and it fits in very well with the tropical and colorful setting. This hate...I don't understand.

Part of the problem is that the tropical setting is all Sunshine has, thanks to FLUDD requiring water everywhere without exception. It's consequently the SA2 of Mario soundtracks; Kondo didn't have that many good tropical themes in him, so almost everything ended up being pretty bland and samey and difficult to mentally distinguish from everything else.

The other part of the problem is that it has the same issues as the NSMB games, SM3DL, and the MIDI half of Galaxy 1: the samples aren't very good and the arrangement is dry as toast. There's zero life or energy in any of it, and they've got this annoying tendency to go all minimalist and restrict the number of simultaneous instruments playing like they're working with NES channel limitations.

Boss: Sunshine / Mario & Sonic
Delfino Plaza: Sunshine / Fortune Street Wii
Dino Piranha: Galaxy / Mario & Sonic
Koopa's Road: Galaxy / Mario & Sonic

Compared to everything else they do, it's mystifying that Mario keeps on having such an awful track record. The quality of the B-Tier stuff like Wario Land and Punch-Out! absolutely smokes their system-sellers.

Part of the problem is that the tropical setting is all Sunshine has, thanks to FLUDD requiring water everywhere without exception. It's consequently the SA2 of Mario soundtracks; Kondo didn't have that many good tropical themes in him, so almost everything ended up being pretty bland and samey and difficult to mentally distinguish from everything else.

The other part of the problem is that it has the same issues as the NSMB games, SM3DL, and the MIDI half of Galaxy 1: the samples aren't very good and the arrangement is dry as toast. There's zero life or energy in any of it, and they've got this annoying tendency to go all minimalist and restrict the number of simultaneous instruments playing like they're working with NES channel limitations.

Boss: Sunshine / Mario & Sonic
Delfino Plaza: Sunshine / Fortune Street Wii
Dino Piranha: Galaxy / Mario & Sonic
Koopa's Road: Galaxy / Mario & Sonic

Compared to everything else they do, it's mystifying that Mario keeps on having such an awful track record. The quality of the B-Tier stuff like Wario Land and Punch-Out! absolutely smokes their system-sellers.

I'm listening to both but to me Sunshine still sounds much easier to my ears as opposed to the other versions. It has a tropical setting but you still to go to various places in it, a calm peaceful hilltop area, a hill beachside local, a busy harbor, an amusement park...they all have a tropical theme but it's still nice and varied. And it works that way since water really is an important part of Super Mario Sunshine.

So again I will have to attribute it to we won't see eye to eye and leave it at that.

Dunno how I think of it in relation to Mario 64 but this game blows those overrated (imo) Galaxy games out of the water.

Nert

This new YouTube layout...

#icant

I've been a lot less active on YouTube this year. The layout changes are becoming increasingly disorienting and I'm being pushed to link up my game music channel with my (largely inactive) Google+ account almost every time I log in. And then you have strange features like the "social" tab popping up, and then you have the terrible wasted spaced on large monitors... blegh.

TheOGB

Banned
I just S-Ranked all of Sonic's town missions in Sonic 06.

I feel empty rather than accomplished... but this is to be expected. ._.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh, the new YT layout is horrendous. Why is everything justified left? Edit: oh man, why is there no dropdown button for the uploader's other videos?!

Why the hell do they change it every few months?

Sciz said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. I can't stand it because I know they can do better, and they have done better in the past and present.

Nert said:
I'm not actually going to write up a vote of my own until the voting period is almost closed. I'm hoping to take a more active role in fostering conversation and I want to make sure that I'm keeping an open mind myself. Having said that, I think that there is a decent list of game soundtracks that at least deserve a listen. In no meaningful order,

snip
I keep forgetting Dustforce's soundtrack came out this year for some reason. That one was a surprise as well. I guess in a similar respect, because Dustforce reminds me of it, Sound Shapes's soundtrack would work (even though some of it seems to be licensed?).

Kokonoe

Banned
Fun is over, pack it up!

x2saq.jpg

indeed.

Sciz

I love that that panel has become a meme. The goofy sign gags were practically the heart and soul of the comic's early run.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF

None of Sonic's stuff (stages or town missions) is particularly difficult to S-rank with occasional help from a walkthrough.

Now Shadow and Silver, good luck. That's where I called it quits. My compulsion to get achievements is only so strong.

BHZ Mayor

I brought this up in the "character model thread", but does anyone know if there's ever been official word on Robotnik purposefully invoking the Red Scare Communism imagery?

Besides his name having Communist roots, I noticed that his color-scheme itself is basically the U.S.S.R flag and his whole modus operandi of taking away free will and turning everyone into mindless robots without individuality seems like the cartoonish view of Communism you usually see in anti-Communist rhetoric.

With all the talk of Konami, Lone Ranger, and soundtracks, I honestly read this and started thinking to myself how random this was, until I remembered this is a Sonic thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom