• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this is great. I take it the other tracks to the OST are of this quality?
Oh yes. You do get a few less-good ones like the overly-goofy Spring Stadium 2 (although the Genesis version's tracks for this zone were almost wholly unmemorable, personally, and I love the Saturn version's Act 1 in comparison) or Volcano Valley (which isn't bad, it's just that, in this one case, the Genesis version's better), as the soundtrack runs the gamut in terms of genres, but it's easily one of my all-time favorite soundtracks from the series.

Other highlights include Green Grove Act 1, Diamond Dust Act 1, and Act 2, Gene Gadget Act 1, Panic Puppet Act 1, the Special Stage theme, and the great boss theme. Hell, pretty much the whole soundtrack. Not a huge fan of the credits song "You're My Hero", though.

WillyFive

480579_10151258923982418_1378669309_n.jpg

Let's do it.

For kicks they should give everyone retro designs, or what they might look like if they were back around in the Genesis era.

Was it gutted?

Honestly, complain about it to the manager and ask for a refund as it was not what you had expected when you purchased the product. You are still being shortchanged as a consumer.

Why? The samples used... :|

I'd almost liken it to the GBA version of the Sonic 1 soundtrack. Almost.

I'll complain when I can summon the energy to.

As for the music, we will not agree on it ever so agree to disagree.

My first experience was the PC version, as I was in England when it came out so I couldn't get a copy for my NTSC Genesis. I guess I got lucky? I mean, the Saturn version is marginally better, particularly with the special stages (only Chaotix has better ones IMO), but the PC version had proper saving, and still kept most of the updated graphics from the Saturn version, as well as Richard Jacques's soundtrack.

Although memorably, the computer we were running it on (or at least its graphics card) had this ugly issue with the monitor we were using. If I tried to play Sonic 3D on it, the screen would wrap around in a really ugly fashion; most of the right half was on the left, most of the left half was on the right, and there was a black bar in the center, where you could faintly see the part inbetween the left and right parts being stretched out and flipped horizontally. Needless to say, the game was unplayable in this state. Sonic R also had the issue, but at least Sonic R let me change the resolution to something that wouldn't trigger it. Of course, our computer couldn't run it at full speed, either, IIRC...

Another memorable gaffe; my Dad was going to America for a meeting, and asked if I wanted a souvenir. I said Sonic 3D for the Genesis. He somehow misheard me and came back with Sonic & Knuckles Collection for the PC. I still spent hours with it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, my dad ended up getting me the PC versions of some Sonic games as well, just because I played them on my cousin's systems (and my cousin was, well, pretty spoiled so he got almost everything) and I wanted to play them myself. I don't recall having a lot of problems.

So, I ended up playing the PC versions of Sonic CD and Sonic R all the way through. I know for a fact that the music in Sonic & Knuckles Collection was wonky because of copyright issues likely. I played the GG and Genesis versions of Blast (well, does the GG version of Blast even count?) before playing the PC version of it. I didn't like Blast as much, and it was the point where I wasn't so enthusiastic for the series because I recall that I didn't like the stage design or perspective at all.

I'm not sure which Blast soundtrack I like. Both of them have their strengths.

I'll complain when I can summon the energy to.

As for the music, we will not agree on it ever so agree to disagree.
I don't know if you're talking about the fact that the Sonic 1 GBA soundtrack is good or not.

But yeah, keep the game and receipt handy and call asap. You paid for a new copy and you should rightfully expect that everything, including a valid Club Nintendo code, is in there.

I was talking about our taste in music.

Anywho...I wish I hadn't visited one so out of the way (Stupid DIA is far) but it must be done. I owe someone those Club points.

Sorry for sounding like a filthy pedant, but 3D Blast. Just "Blast" makes me think of the Game Gear title (and no, it doesn't count, completely different game). Calling them both Blast and then talking about both of them in the same paragraph is hurting my brain D:

We could also just call it Flickies' Island, seeing as that was the EU/JP name for it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry for sounding like a filthy pedant, but 3D Blast. Just "Blast" makes me think of the Game Gear title (and no, it doesn't count, completely different game). Calling them both Blast and then talking about both of them in the same paragraph is hurting my brain D:

We could also just call it Flickies' Island, seeing as that was the EU/JP name for it.
But the Game Gear one wasn't called 3D Blast so I didn't know what to say. ;__;

Game Gear version ruins everything.

I remember having Sonic R for PC. I had one of the borked discs that didn't have any of the music playing in the game (As it didn't have any on the disc at all) which... kinda defeats the purpose of playing Sonic R in the first place. >_>

I later got the 3-in-1 collection with Sonic R, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and CD. (There was a PC version of 3D Blast...?)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played a bit of LBP Vita. Then I was reminded that I don't like LBP at all. Every time I try one of those games out, I end up disliking it halfway through and my desire to play through them wanes.

Shadow Hog said:
No argument there, even if I still haven't played it.
Aren't the stage aesthetics incredibly pretty?

Actually, I don't like how the stages look in the Blast and 3D Blast games either...

I got Sonic R when it first hit PC, back in late '98 or so. Still have it, too.

And yeah, there was a PC version of Sonic 3D. As I said, it's pretty much identical to the Saturn version, but without the fog effects or Final Fight's new spiffy background (instead it looks more or less just like the Genesis version). Has totally new special stages, though, and it saves your game right down to the act, so you can beat the game at your own pace instead of one sitting (and pick up from a Game Over, completely nullifying them, but eh). Not the Genesis set, not the Saturn set, but one all its own. Better than the Genesis, worse than the Saturn, and kinda average overall, but still, can't get it anywhere else! (I'd link a video, but apparently nobody on YouTube knows. Nobody. If this version works on Win7 64-bit, I might see about amending this oversight... Still, they look like this.)

However, when it comes to Sonic 3D and the PC, these days, all Sega does is throw a ROM in an emulator and leaves it at that. Disappointing, when this version is much better.

The stages actually look fine...just the controls leave much to be desired.

And Little Big Planet is so fun, I need to get another copy. I have an idea for a level I want to try.

Get on that Super Mario Sunshine dope, it's be some of the good dope.

TheOGB

Banned
I remember having Sonic R for PC. I had one of the borked discs that didn't have any of the music playing in the game (As it didn't have any on the disc at all) which... kinda defeats the purpose of playing Sonic R in the first place. >_>

I later got the 3-in-1 collection with Sonic R, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and CD. (There was a PC version of 3D Blast...?)
Same here. Played the shit out of R and 3&K, wish it worked on this computer :p (Wish CD worked on something past Windows 95 :V)

I played the PC version of 3D Blast on fucking WildTangent, which I was shocked to find out still exists.
Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom