• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, Earthworm Jim HD is pretty darn boring. It literally is the definition of a 90's platformer though, it just oozes the 90's. I mean it certainly looks nice but I swear something is lost with the improved graphics...

TheOGB

Banned
I think I liked BW's music so much because I was pretty lukewarm to most of DPPt's music. Just seemed like such an improvement comparatively.

BW Rival theme, yeah, pretty silly, but seeing as how the first time you heard it was when you and your childhood friends tore up your room having your first Pokemon battles I was saw no problem with it. I would prefer having an antagonistic rival again, though. I don't want everybody to be my friend; if anything I'd love a Pokemon game where the PC is a bit of an outcast, looked down upon by everyone, maybe even picked on, and earning people's respect. Being an underdog would make every other trainer's eventual defeat by my hands pretty satisfying.

Noi

BW Rival theme, yeah, pretty silly, but seeing as how the first time you heard it was when you and your childhood friends tore up your room having your first Pokemon battles I was saw no problem with it. I would prefer having an antagonistic rival again, though. I don't want everybody to be my friend; if anything I'd love a Pokemon game where the PC is a bit of an outcast, looked down upon by everyone, maybe even picked on, and earning people's respect. Being an underdog would make every other trainer's eventual defeat by my hands pretty satisfying.

PokeColo.jpg

Yes I know it's not quite what you mean. ;D

I'm one of those guys who quit Pokemon after they added a 100 more of them mothafcuaks. There was something special to me about there only being a 151 of those guys out there, and every new they add, it takes away from the whole.

Is anyone's favorite game actually a Sonic game here

Noi

Colosseum is worth it if just for youknowwho's battle music.

I'm one of those guys who quit Pokemon after they added a 100 more of them mothafcuaks. There was something special to me about there only being a 151 of those guys out there, and every new they add, it takes away from the whole.

DPPT was the point where I started to get burnt out, then BW convinced me that Pokemon wasn't for me anymore. There's pretty much not a single new 'mon in BW that I like, and the changes introduced (some of which will likely be removed for the next one, as it always happens) weren't enough to keep me interested. It'd take another major shakeup in the battle system like the physical/special moveset split to reel me in again.

qq more

Yep, I've gotten a lot of flack for BW or praising every gen besides that one, but if I were to link my posts you could see they were just merely opinions. And the thing is, about 90-95% of it is when people asked me what my opinion was on that subject.

As a song itself it isn't too bad or anything, it's just...this is a Rival Battle

they went from this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1a-piSoOv8

to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxaHT8HTD9c

I just...can't stand it.
Ugh, yeah. I definitely don't get the love for BW's "rival" theme. And I never get why people get so defensive when anyone criticizes the game in general!

The lack of VS Seeker (come on at least make it possible to rematch trainers in some way), the linear region, cheap gym leaders (or at least just Elesa. I hate her and her stupid Volt Switching Emolgas). Also I'm not a fan of how much of a step back the touchscreen was compared to HGSS. And boo at the lack of auto-shoes and Pokemon following you! Why did they get rid of that?

I think the unlimited TMs is one of the few worthwhile improvements to the formula. Other than that, the game feels kind of the same old. Doesn't help it's on the same hardware as DPPt and HGSS. Complaints aside it's still a fun game but Platinum and HGSS were more fun.

Also, I had to proofread my post many times to make sure there was no accidental swearing. :lol

Is anyone's favorite game actually a Sonic game here
I don't know... I would put Sonic 3 & Knuckles in my top 5 games though.

Also you gave up after RBY?! Non-sense! Play GSC or its remake! They're fantastic games! A huggeee improvement over the originals.

Colosseum and XD are great games btw. XD has a terrible art direction, but worth a playthrough.
I can never take anyone talking about "XD" seriously because of the name alone. I blame the irritating emoticon itself!

...Pikawil? Why does that name sound so familiar? Were you in the SRB2 or MFGG communities?

TheOGB

Banned
BW2 Rival theme was pretty cool, but the rival himself (forgot his default name, named mine Kyle)... didn't like him. Didn't have much going for his character beyond being mad as hell about his sister's Purrloin. I thought it was interesting that he looked like an ascended Ace Trainer from HGSS (my favorite Ace Trainer look), but nothing came from that either.

Noi

...I'd completely blocked out what the BW rival battle music was like until I looked it up just now. Yeesh, that IS unfitting. Then again, I'd be hard pressed to remember any part of that game's music.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
http://img.imgcake.com/Pikawil/xvbUvgifud.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I recognize you from somewhere. I totally recognize your YT account, but where else...

Either way, welcome aboard! And welcome to anyone who I've missed because I know I've seen a few of you but forgot to post a welcome.

And I'm weird because I know people by name rather than avatar. Mostly because I recognize their posting style. :P

[quote="Kokonoe, post: 46969742"]What I dislike the most is when people try to make you feel like you're wrong and what they are saying is a fact, [B]but it's when it becomes gang mentality to group up is where it gets quite annoying[/B].[/QUOTE]
This is something that really needs to stop, especially in OTs. If you're in an OT where your opinion isn't the same as everyone else's you really should feel like you're allowed to post how you feel in the thread. It should be a point of discussion, but not if people are going to make you feel like you're completely wrong in your assertion towards a game by ganging up on you. I've really come to dislike that.

It's something I'd started to notice in the Theatrhythm thread, for example. People should be allowed to voice what details they don't like about the game, even if they like other aspects of the game. Not feel like they're backed into a corner and need to retreat from the thread because people are incredibly dismissive of what you have to say.

[quote=ViewtifulJC]Is anyone's favorite game actually a Sonic game here [/quote]
I was going to post in that "favourite game of all time" thread until I realized that it usually depends on the day. For the most part, it's Genso Suikoden II.

But other times, it's Sonic 2 if I feel like I'm in a speedrunning mood, Sonic 3&K if I want to look at pretty stuff while listening to some awesome music and playing one of the most fun games ever, Yoshi's Island if I'm in a goofy mood, Majora's Mask if I'm feeling patient and like uncovering every single layer that the game's world has to offer, etc. So I don't ever have a singular answer.

So, I guess some of my favourite games ever [I]are[/I] Sonic games.

Gawwww, you go through all the effort to find a link for the music thread and you don't even post the name of it or the game it came from.

At least guess the screenshot became its own thread. :p
24162093.jpg

Because I can't tie the quoted post together with this I am really confuse

I recognize you from somewhere. I totally recognize your YT account, but where else...

Either way, welcome aboard! And welcome to anyone who I've missed because I know I've seen a few of you but forgot to post a welcome.
I recognize the name, too, although I'm not 100% sure where from. Either way, hi!

And I'm weird because I know people by name rather than avatar. Mostly because I recognize their posting style. :p
Good, because I'm considering swapping Mike Dawson out for something else.

Only problem is, I haven't decided what "something else" is yet, and am not gonna swap without "something else" being defined.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24162093.jpg[img]
Because I can't tie the quoted post together with this I am really confuse[/quote]
It goes with the add-on you linked because some people can't be bothered to label half of the stuff they post so it becomes something that seems like it comes right from the Mystery Box.

The threads which end up being "post screenshots of games" threads end up being the same way. Except [url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510090]it's become its own thread[/url].

[quote="Shadow Hog, post: 46971708"]Good, because I'm considering swapping Mike Dawson out for something else.

Only problem is, I haven't decided what "something else" is yet, and am not gonna swap without "something else" being defined.[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wcSh02p.jpg

A true Shadow Hog.

Noi

My favorite Sonic is Colors, but I don't like it nearly as much as my OTHER favorite games. Then again, I'm an odd sonic fan in that I don't like the Genesis games or the modern ones all that much.

...Do I even like Sonic at all?

qq more

My favorite Sonic is Colors, but I don't like it nearly as much as my favorite games in the series. Then again, I'm an odd sonic fan in that I don't like the Genesis games or the modern ones all that much.

no you hate sonic

in fact you secretly wish death upon us

I'M ONTO YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Mr Swine

Banned
My favorite Sonic is Colors, but I don't like it nearly as much as my favorite games in the series. Then again, I'm an odd sonic fan in that I don't like the Genesis games or the modern ones all that much.

Wat

Wat

Eh!?

If I did a top 10 video games right now....

Chrono Trigger
Resident Evil 4
Metal Slug X/3(I can't choose, whichever one I played last)
Super Smash Bros Melee
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Half-Life 2(and it's respective episodes)
Street Fighter 4
Ninja Gaiden Black
Viewtiful Joe
Donkey Kong Country 2

hmmm...I think S3&K would be somewhere in the 11-20 though...

Bayonetta
Star Fox 64
S3&K
Uncharted 2
Link to the Past
Symphony of the Night
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Bowser's Inside Story
Streets of Rage Remake
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

What, Active Time Battle? I'm not sure I'd go for it, really. I like mah turn-based too much. Though combo attacks are already sort of halfway there.

Maybe if it's shown to work well in a side mode or something.

Heropon

Hey people, should I give another chance to Sonic Generations 3DS? I tried to play it again today but I felt like a "punch" every time I fell through a pitfall and I had to stop playing. ( ._.)

qq more

What, Active Time Battle? I'm not sure I'd go for it, really. I like mah turn-based too much. Though combo attacks are already sort of halfway there.

Maybe if it's shown to work well in a side mode or something.

I agree, ATB has no place in Pokemon. Turn-based is better ANYDAY

Hey people, should I give another chance to Sonic Generations 3DS? I tried to play it again today but I felt like a "punch" every time I fell through a pitfall and I had to stop playing. ( ._.)

I take it you're struggling in the Dreamcast era levels? They're pretty bad. The Modern era levels were decent though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Probably recognize Pikawil from somewhere else. Definitely YT, though.

I think ATB would work, though, in the case of 3 on 3 battles or something. Not in the way Ni no Kuni does it because it's rather messy and the AI options are really bad.

That "in the series" should have been omitted period, FML.

So much for studying to be an english teacher.
I wanted be a teacher when I was younger. :(

Someone needs some M-Speed/D-Speed videos to learn how the physics in recent Sonic games work, and how you could take advantage of it in speed runs. :p

Heropon

I take it you're struggling in the Dreamcast era levels? They're pretty bad. The Modern era levels were decent though.

Yes, I'm stuck there! I want to like that game because it certainly wasn't cheap...

About the Pokémon combat system, I'd like another take in the turn system, but I don't really have any ideas to improve it.

qq more

Cannot stand ATB. Too much pressure.

Exactly my issue with it! I like to take time to plan out my attack if I'm in a rough situation.

Yes, I'm stuck there! I want to like that game because it certainly wasn't cheap...

Radical Highway? That level is truly awful and is full of annoying enemies, pits and very slow segments. Nothing of it felt polished either, you even see a fighter jet flying through a building like a ghost!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Dreamcast Era is the worst section of the game. Keep going on, because the game is structured like this:

parabola1hvu0m.gif

I don't think it's as good as the console version overall, but the final boss is better than the console version. Surprisingly.

Not if you turn on wait mode.

But for me I like my ATB as pressure inducing as possible.

Active mode/Fastest battle speed all day.
Meccanical gets me.

I wonder how it would work, really - having a situation where a base 140 Speed gets two-three turns for every one of the opponents could lead to some nasty situations in multiplayer.

In any case, it would really need to be worked out well - balancing out ATB for 4-8 potential party members in SP would be different from 700+ potential party members in SP and MP. But I think some real time system could be developed in the future, just not now.

Heropon

I've managed to beat the second act of Emerald Coast, thanks for the encouragement!!!

I must be dense, but I don't remember QTEs in my Sonic, why was there one with the whale?

Radical Highway? That level is truly awful and is full of annoying enemies, pits and very slow segments. Nothing of it felt polished either, you even see a fighter jet flying through a building like a ghost!

I'm already dreading it.

To be fair, neither Colors nor Generations HD have QTEs. I'm sorry, but asking you to mash the A button or push random directions on the analog stick don't really count to the same extent that Unleashed's QTEs do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom