• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heropon

Well on the bright side, once you beat it the worst of it is over!

I think I'll try to beat it tomorrow. I've tried to beat the second act and I think I must stop playing for a while.

You haven't played many recent Sonic games have you?

No, only the PC Generations (I don't remember if there were in that game). I started to not play Sonic games since Adventure as it increased the amount of cussing from me.

Nert

If I did a top 10 video games right now....
Chrono Trigger
Resident Evil 4
Metal Slug X/3(I can't choose, whichever one I played last)
Super Smash Bros Melee
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Half-Life 2(and it's respective episodes)
Street Fighter 4
Ninja Gaiden Black
Viewtiful Joe
Donkey Kong Country 2

Even without explanations, that's a really interesting list for me, because it gives me a clear perspective on the types of games that you enjoy (a lot difficult, mechanics driven games instead of more narrative driven experiences). My own list is a little safer and more generic:

Metroid Prime
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Super Mario Galaxy
Final Fantasy Tactics
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Team Fortress 2
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
The Binding of Isaac
Warcraft III (and The Frozen Throne)
Resident Evil 4

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is close to making that list. I also like Generations and Colors quite a bit, but they wouldn't make my top 20.

Pokemon battle systems

I'm still waiting on the World of Warcraft style Pokemon MMO. Pokemon games already have really distinct regions with different clusters of monster roaming around. Just think about how much fun it would be to walk up to pack of them in real time!

OMG Aero

To be fair, neither Colors nor Generations HD have QTEs. I'm sorry, but asking you to mash the A button or push random directions on the analog stick don't really count to the same extent that Unleashed's QTEs do.
You could make the argument that the quick step sections are essentially QTEs and Colours, Unleashed and Generations all have them in one way or another.

GAMERG0D

Top 10s?

Call of Duty 4
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
GTA IV
Halo 3
Metroid Prime
Mother 3
Sonic CD
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Metroid

I would have put Twilight Princess but there's no space.

Heropon

I think I wouldn't be able to make a top ten list of my favourite games. I have a hard time classifying games of the same franchise, so it would be really difficult for me to take that to another level where I have to compare extremely different games.

Even without explanations, that's a really interesting list for me, because it gives me a clear perspective on the types of games that you enjoy (a lot difficult, mechanics driven games instead of more narrative driven experiences)

Yeah, that's me, but do note that I did put Journey and The Walking Dead in my top 5 for GotY 2012. I'm not adverse to those kinds of experiences if they're good!

But something like Team Fortress 2 or Street Fighter 4...I've put hundreds of hours into those games, learning the characters and mechanics, having many a fun night. It's kind of hard for me to rate them along something like Journey, that I played for 2 hours, and although I loved it, I don't know when I'll return to it, and obviously got a lot less out of then say, Halo 2 or Garou Mark of the Wolves.

And that's not a blow against short games or anything; one of my all-time favorite games is Time Crisis 2, which can easily be beaten in under 15 mins with even a moderate amount of skill. But I've beaten it hundreds of times over the years due to it's simple but addictive score attack combo nature of blastin' fools accurately and quickly. Was a sad, say day a few weeks when I walked in my arcade and TC2 was gone, after 10 years. A part of my soul died right then and there

Gattuso

my top 10 would be...
pso ep.1&2
tales of symphonia
resonance of fate
assassins creed revelations
ssbm
sonic 06
blue dragon
l4d2
madworld
sonic cd

Noi

since JC started it. in no particular order after #1

#1 Brave Fencer Musashi
Legend of Legaia
Kirby Super Star
Ace Combat Zero
Devil May Cry 3 SE
Gravity Rush
Mega Man X
Demon's Souls
Okami
Yakuza (Series)

and 11-20 would have stuff like blazblue, persona, and stuff

I wanted be a teacher when I was younger. :(

You'll get to experience it vicariously through me then!

Kokonoe

Banned
Top 10 Games of All Time

1. Sonic & Knuckles

(Not in any order)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokemon Gold Version
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC)
Sonic Adventure 2Battle
Sonic Adventure
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Sonic 2
Pokemon Red & Blue

my top 10 would be...
pso ep.1&2
tales of symphonia
resonance of fate
ssbm
sonic 06
blue dragon
l4d2
madworld
sonic cd

You started off great, and then you added Sonic 2006.

Gattuso

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. Sonic & Knuckles

(Not in any order)
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pokemon Gold Version
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (GC)
Sonic Adventure 2Battle
Sonic Adventure
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Sonic 2
Pokemon Red & Blue

You started off great, and then you added Sonic 2006.
but i love a the hacks i can do with it just by messing around with the gamesave

qq more

my top 10 would be...
pso ep.1&2
tales of symphonia
resonance of fate
ssbm
sonic 06
blue dragon
l4d2
madworld
sonic cd

Man, I should get back to PSO. Maybe sometime next week...

Also I'm kind of surprised about '06. What did you like about the game that made it your favorite, or is it just an ironic pick?

I'm too lazy to rewrite my top 10 but I think I've posted it before so I'll go find it.

Super Metroid
Majora's Mask
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Half-Life 2 Trilogy
Tetris
Mario Kart DS
Resident Evil 4
MOTHER3
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Meat Boy

These lists remind me of my favorite non-Sonic Sega game, Crazy Taxi. Damn shame that HD version apparently has slowdown and no YAHYAHYAHYAHYAH when you start the game.

At least I'll always have you, BD Joe...

1182120-bdjoe.png

Gattuso

rainbow gem, 2 player co-op in single player (screen is shared), fusing levels together, i almost got super sonic to work in regular levels but he dies immediately over and over again, and this is just with the gamesave no modded xbox or ps3 needed. i still haven't found the file path needed to play as other characters. ive also done hacks for unleashed and generations too.

BlackJace

1. Metroid Prime
2. Team Fortress 2
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee
4. Sonic Adventure
5. Phoenix Wright: AA3
6. Mirror's Edge
7. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
8. Dissidia 012: Duodecim
9. LoZ: Twilight Princess
10. Call of Duty 4: MW
11. Metal Slug 3
12. Persona 4
13. Sonic 2
14. Sonic CD/ Sonic 3&K
15. Super Street Fighter 4

Emitan

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Pokémon White Version 2
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Super Mario World
Star Fox 64
Fallout: New Vegas
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy XII

Gattuso

Man, I should get back to PSO. Maybe sometime next week...

Also I'm kind of surprised about '06. What did you like about the game that made it your favorite, or is it just an ironic pick?

I'm too lazy to rewrite my top 10 but I think I've posted it before so I'll go find it.
i think its kind of an ironic pick becuase the game is a disgusting mess but i cant help but go back to it more than the other sonic games because making the hacks add replay ability to it and its the only sonic game i haven't been able to 100% it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
corrupted, tell me more about some of your Unleashed stuff because I'm genuinely curious. Because I love Unleashed.

Well, as for me:

Genso Suikoden II - I don't really think I need to go into elaboration for it because I've done it so many times on GAF that I guess it's become predictable now. I genuinely love its pacing, its structure, its SRPG war battles, the narrative, some of the dialogue in the Japanese version, etc. Plus it has my favourite character in terms of stats, because man I love his stats sooooo much. :3 It also has one spot where you can sequence-break for a sidequest and it ends up being a little hilarious because from a narrative perspective, it involves an item that you don't even have yet. This is the way people would use to speedrun the game if you wanted to.

Super Metroid - I've stated in this thread that it is one of those games that I'd classify as "Perfect". Sequence-breaking and speedrunning takes precedence for the most skilled players, while those who like to take it slowly and learn while exploring can become immersed in the game's aesthetic atmosphere and its incredible musical score.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - [Reposted from another thread] While people would say that the Zelda series has gotten "stale" or "doesn't take any risks", I would point to Majora's Mask for taking a bit of a risk in changing up the formula somewhat. What I liked most about the game was the intricate side stories told via side quests. You can do these side quests as many times as you’d like and the stories never get old, imo. Watching the same people walk the same path repeatedly, knowing what they're going to do, what would happen to them, what would happen should you let the moon fall, it was a bit of a tragic or bittersweet narrative when you think about it. I liked the risk Nintendo took with this gaiden story (which seems to be primarily about healing and friendship), and hope that they’ll do something else like this in the future.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - It was colourful, the music was wonderfully-composed, it played well, and the subtle narrative communicated via animations and level endings were wonderful to watch (I talk about animations a lot because that's the type of stuff I paid attention to when I was younger, and that's why I don't like long cutscenes). Being able to play as either Sonic, Tails or Knuckles was an incredible addition because you could take advantage of any of their abilities to explore different parts of the level that neither of the other characters could reach.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - Rondo of Blood has one of the best PCE soundtracks on the system. It's my favourite classic Castlevania game, and the anime cutscenes were awesome to watch back then. Being able to switch between Richter and Maria added a new fun element to the game, making it a very nice overall package.

This list sucks because I'm stuck now. :|
I dunno what else to pick!

Oh yeah, Mother 3 is a thing: Mother 3 is a perfect example of good storytelling in an RPG. When I played Mother 3, I was expecting Earthbound. I was not expecting such a profound tale of love, loss, capitalism, loss of rustic charm, and a ton of other themes this narrative included. The music was great, the battle system with the addition of the rhythm hits was fun, the characters and chapter divisions were well-planned, and the dialogue was wonderfully-written. It's truly a wonderful and cohesive end to Itoi's letters to his daughter.

Oh, I almost forgot about Chrono Trigger's existence: I think Chrono Trigger is an incredibly beautiful game. This isn't due to its aesthetic qualities or its music. The beauty of Chrono Trigger is in its accessibility to newcomers and veterans. New players can play through it without any problems to get through the story, but veterans can play through it to amp up the difficulty to test themselves by using parties that aren’t tailored to speed (because speed is an asset in any game that uses ATB to an extent; if you want an easier time with ATB, have a higher agil stat). Higher Agil stats may also factor into speedrunning in terms of getting battles done quickly.

Yeah, I dunno. Let me think about it a little more.

qq more

i think its kind of an ironic pick becuase the game is a disgusting mess but i cant help but go back to it more than the other sonic games because making the hacks add replay ability to it and its the only sonic game i haven't been able to 100% it.

Oh I see now.

I get the vague feeling we might have done this list recently. But what the hell:

10. Pokemon Gold & Silver
9. Mother 3
8. Metroid Prime
7. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
6. Mega Man X
5. Resident Evil 4
4. Final Fantasy VI
3. Chrono Trigger
2. Symphony of the Night
1. Super Metroid

Honorable mentions:

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Breath of Fire III
Phantasy Star IV
Gunstar Heroes
Final Fantasy VII
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3
Outrun 2

Emitan

I get the vague feeling we might have done this list recently. But what the hell:

9. Mother 3
8. Metroid Prime
7. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
6. Final Fantasy VI
5. Resident Evil 4
4. Final Fantasy VI
3. Chrono Trigger
2. Symphony of the Night
1. Super Metroid

Honorable mentions:

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Breath of Fire III
Phantasy Star IV
Gunstar Heroes
Final Fantasy VII
Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

lol

GAMERG0D

9. Mother 3
8. Metroid Prime
7. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
6. Final Fantasy VI
5. Resident Evil 4
4. Final Fantasy VI
3. Chrono Trigger
2. Symphony of the Night
1. Super Metroid
Hey now, FF VI is good but not that good. :p

Noi

If only it was this easy to get you to make a twitterz. Also way to put all our throwaway lists to shame. :V

Super Metroid - I've stated in this thread that it is one of those games that I'd classify as "Perfect". Sequence-breaking and speedrunning takes precedence for the most skilled players, while those who like to take it slowly and learn while exploring can become immersed in the game's aesthetic atmosphere and its incredible musical score.

I never actually looked at this that way, and you're right. It can easily apply to the rest of the series too, except for the one disappointment that I need not name.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - Rondo of Blood has one of the best PCE soundtracks on the system. It's my favourite classic Castlevania game, and the anime cutscenes were awesome to watch back then. Being able to switch between Richter and Maria added a new fun element to the game, making it a very nice overall package.

I love Rondo because it's sheer CV1 without being too stiff like the NES games, or going into broken territory like CV4. I loved being able to choose my own route as well, but without the need to make it as confusingly non-linear like CV2 and 3 did. Though I always refuse to use Maria cause she makes the game waaay too easy.

This list sucks because I'm stuck now. :|
I dunno what else to pick!

Elaborate on liking Legaia! I never meet anyone who likes it, so I wanna hear you gush about it.

Top 10 games for me:

1. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
2. Star Ocean the Second Story
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Grandia
6. Donkey Kong Country 2
7. Final Fantasy X
8. Super Mario World
9. Kirby Superstar
10. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

Gattuso

for unleashed i gave sonic a bottomless boost gauge and made him much faster (dash panels actually slow you down now) and for werehog i made it so that even grabbing 1 ring kills him unless you get really hurt and high hp (the gauge doesn't go down when getting hit and makes it look like he has infinite hp but he doesn't). i also can max out total rings and sun/moon medals.

I feel like my top 2 might be set in stone, but anything after that...fuck it. Whatever the wind blows. Maybe I'll boot up Outrun 2 on PC, flick on Magical Sound Shower or something and get awash in it's beautiful vistas driving around for hours and think, "this is one of the greatest games EVER"

who knows man

Schala stop gushing about Suikoden II you know I can't play it.

;_;

Which freaking sucks because I just beat the first one again this weekend and I am really jonesin' for more.

Top 10 favorite games lists?

Aw shit I have to think about this.

qq more

oh look at everyone swearing and i'm not

:(

no no, don't tempt yourself qq, continue with the challenge, you're stronger than this! you even worked up the courage to defeat that evil Elesa in Pokemon Black with that nuzlocke challenge! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! TOOT TOOT QQ WARRIOR!

Noi

Good fucking lord did Naughty Dog forget checkpoints are game design element that exist when making Jak II. Dying and having the whole damn stage reset is so god damn stupid.

oh look at everyone swearing and i'm not

You're the one who agreed to it bub.

Jak 2 may have the WORST checkpoints of any video game made in the last 10 years. There are times when you have to re-do the ENTIRE FUCKIN' MISSION, including the cutscene/dialog before it begins.

GAMERG0D

Jak 2 may have the WORST checkpoints of any video game made in the last 10 years. There are times when you have to re-do the ENTIRE FUCKIN' MISSION, including the cutscene/dialog before it begins.
I got the HD collection a while back and when I got to that game I played it for a bit. The checkpoints are bullshit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
qq, you have one week. One week.

corrupted said:
for unleashed i gave sonic a bottomless boost gauge and made him much faster (dash panels actually slow you down now) and for werehog i made it so that even grabbing 1 ring kills him unless you get really hurt and high hp (the gauge doesn't go down when getting hit and makes it look like he has infinite hp but he doesn't). i also can max out total rings and sun/moon medals.
I actually kinda like that. The Werehog one is throwing me for a loop. @__@

If only it was this easy to get you to make a twitterz. Also way to put all our throwaway lists to shame. :V
Even then I don't even know what else to list. What other games have I played?

Yoshi's Island? Arc the Lad II? Sora no Kiseki The 3rd? Devil May Cry 3: SE? Ninja Gaiden: Black? A Link to the Past? Tales of Destiny R: DC? Tetris Battle Gaiden? Terranigma? I'm seriously looking around at some of the games I have and I'm not sure what to say. I'd put Suikoden I on the list for nostalgia reasons.

I never actually looked at this that way, and you're right. It can easily apply to the rest of the series too, except for the one disappointment that I need not name.
The baby the baby the baby the baby? I remember being so psyched that it was a blend of first-person and third-person but I don't think the mechanic was that cohesive at all. Forget the story because I thought the gameplay could have been tightened up more.

I love Rondo because it's sheer CV1 without being too stiff like the NES games, or going into broken territory like CV4. I loved being able to choose my own route as well, but without the need to make it as confusingly non-linear like CV2 and 3 did. Though I always refuse to use Maria cause she makes the game waaay too easy.
I was thinking of putting CV4 on the list until I remembered how broken it could be. While some of the additions that CV4 adds make sense for making the game easier to pick up for newcomers, I just like Rondo a lot better because it uses the classic design in a good way. I liked being able to use more than one character, though. But I forgot to mention that I liked how there were untimed stages, meaning you could go around the level at your own pace.

Elaborate on liking Legaia! I never meet anyone who likes it, so I wanna hear you gush about it.
Really? But that game rules. :(

Oh well, a lot of people I know don't even know it exists! I love the battle system a lot in terms of experimenting with different combinations and figuring out what yielded Super Arts and random other Arts yourself. While bosses have a pattern they adhere to which makes it easy to respond to them, you still have to be aware that they can launch criticals on you. I love hunting down Lapis towards the end and playing all of the minigames in Sol because they're addictive (Baaaaaka Fighterrrrrrrr). And the voice clips are awesome.

The narrative isn't anything much to write home about outside of Noa's substory, but it's serviceable. The music is phenomenal and addictive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom