• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
sthharveywhofozri.png

Somehow I missed this, look at this guy, I bet he's like some wise martial arts master who is too amazing to be in the games.

He's nothing of the sort is he?

Somehow I missed this, look at this guy, I bet he's like some wise martial arts master who is too amazing to be in the games.

He's nothing of the sort is he?

Well he managed to stay out the games, therefore avoiding scorn and ridicule. He's obviously smarter than we're giving him credit for.

I'm thinking that hidden base zone doesn't get enough love, a few attempts at almost unforeseeable crush deaths in act 1 aside it's good fun all the way through. Granted there's not much challenge for what is the last zone of Sonic 3 but it's fast and frantic with funky music.
If you disagree i'm going to do what the creepy clown in Sega1991's post is talking about, actually what I mean to say is what's the story with that image?

I'm thinking that hidden base zone doesn't get enough love, a few attempts at almost unforeseeable crush deaths in act 1 aside it's good fun all the way through. Granted there's not much challenge for what is the last zone of Sonic 3 but it's fast and frantic with funky music.
If you disagree i'm going to do what the creepy clown in Sega1991's post is talking about, actually what I mean to say is what's the story with that image?
I've never heard of "Hidden Base Zone". Sounds kind of like "Secret Base Zone" from Sonic Advance...

Oh, wait, you mean Launch Base Zone. Yeah, that zone's great. Pretty difficult in all the right ways, honestly. The raw Sonic 3 version even more than the S3&K version, but seeing as it actually is the final stage in the former, that's to be expected; plus, the former gives you the Squeeze Tag Machine! Er... Big Arm. Whatever it's called. One of the more difficult boss fights in the Genesis titles, easily (he counters Super Sonic, enough said).

Ultratech

Oh, wait, you mean Launch Base Zone. Yeah, that zone's great. Pretty difficult in all the right ways, honestly. The raw Sonic 3 version even more than the S3&K version, but seeing as it actually is the final stage in the former, that's to be expected; plus, the former gives you the Squeeze Tag Machine! Er... Big Arm. Whatever it's called. One of the more difficult boss fights in the Genesis titles, easily (he counters Super Sonic, enough said).

Yeah, I remember being shocked when I found out that boss could actually counter Super Sonic. Who would've thought such a thing possible at the time?

I've never heard of "Hidden Base Zone". Sounds kind of like "Secret Base Zone" from Sonic Advance...

It's funny, I always call it hidden base for some reason and I have no idea why, the one from sonic advance has the zipline entrance with the flashy lights that make it less than hidden.
So yeah I meant launch base, it's been a while since I fought big arm, Sonic's aerial attack really comes in handy for that crafty hitbox.

Just another entry in the tragic ongoing saga that is the comments on his Sonic 06 video.
I figured as such, who would've thought that the truth could hurt these people so much?

The short of it is here, but I've actually talked with the guy who made the original comment some more and threatened again to do something.

listen you bastard ....

if i ever catch you making another video about how bad sonic is or ho stupid his games are

i am going to find you and destroy your computer and I AM GOING TO KICK YOUR ASS YOU FUCKIN LITTLE PUSSY BITCH(P.S. YOUR MY BITCH FROM NOWON)

tailsthefox456 1 day ago

Hahahaha, wow. What are you, 8 years old? You've got a LOT to learn. For starters: making threats doesn't get you anywhere. You might as well be wearing clown shoes and honking a rubber nose right now. Second of all, you've made yourself look like a DOUBLE fool by not even paying attention to literally anything else I've uploaded to my channel. Get of here, kid, before you embarrass yourself any further.

BlazeHedgehog in reply to tailsthefox456 1 day ago +10

u think im fuckin kidding u fukin basterd

im fukin 17

and now ur just starting to fukin piss me off

u fucking little pussy

tailsthefox456 in reply to BlazeHedgehog 20 hours ago

Dude, only children take this stuff this seriously. It's a video on the internet. Do you know how easy it is to just, like, not care? You're over there getting so angry and threatening me and what is it going to accomplish? Nothing. Even if you manage to "do something" (which I doubt you can), it's still not going to accomplish anything meaningful. You might be 17, but you're still acting like a big fat sobbing baby (who happens to be wearing clown shoes and honking a red nose). Grow up.

BlazeHedgehog in reply to tailsthefox456 16 hours ago

ill forget bout the stuff unless u take bake the shit bout

the whole fat slobbing baby and fuckin stupid clown horn and shoes (and about this game being terrible)then we have a truce

tailsthefox456 in reply to BlazeHedgehog 16 hours ago

I can't even understand some of what you're saying, here. "Take bake the shit bout"?

BlazeHedgehog in reply to tailsthefox456 (Show the comment) 5 hours ago

The short of it is here, but I've actually talked with the guy who made the original comment some more and threatened again to do something.
I like how he tries to sneak in you taking back the sonic 06 hate as part of the truce between the clown antics, as if a truce is needed.
I dare you to make another video. If the worst comes to pass and he's as threatening as he thinks he is at least you get Goldberg on your doorstep (who is in fact a very cool headed individual).
Not that i'm actually really saying to make another but the thought that such a thing will push him past the point of no return is amusing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want to play a Sonic-branded football soccer game right now. I'm in the mood. :D

Nocturnowl said:
Classic will always suck with that weird music remix, worse to control than original spikes ability and the "puzzle" rooms with the gear things.
It's not weird. It's a nice callback to Scrap Brain Zone... :(

It grew on me and now I think it's one of the best themes on the soundtrack because of the intent behind it.

u think im fuckin kidding u fukin basterd

im fukin 17

and now ur just starting to fukin piss me off

u fucking little pussy

tailsthefox456 in reply to BlazeHedgehog 20 hours ago
I'm so confused right now.

Never mind the rudeness and the liberal use of 'fucking' (spelled incorrectly most of the time) as an adjective, why can't this teenager spell correctly? His/her grammar and punctuation are atrocious. D:

Blaze, he's so enraged that he can't spell 'back' or his favourite swears correctly. :(

I want to play a Sonic-branded football soccer game right now. I'm in the mood. :D
If it's anything like Mario Strikers i'd be game for such a thing.

It's not weird. It's a nice callback to Scrap Brain Zone... :(

It grew on me and now I think it's one of the best themes on the soundtrack because of the intent behind it.
I have distressing news for you all, I don't like Scrap Brain's music or most of the Sonic 1 soundtrack outside of Green Hill and Starlight.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If it's anything like Mario Strikers i'd be game for such a thing.
You'd think Sega would've done a full-fledged official release worldwide using something like Football Manager or something by now.

I have distressing news for you all, I don't like Scrap Brain's music or most of the Sonic 1 soundtrack outside of Green Hill and Starlight.
Not even Spring Yard Zone? :/

http://www.abload.de/img/ultimatesoccer_02k7b7w.gif[/mg]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/vs_1o4afh.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/fcsonic_01b4gg1.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Forgot Virtua Striker had FC Sonic as an unlockable. But those games usually stayed in Europe or Japan. Ultimate Soccer came out in Europe only, I think.

Europe/Japan gets all the cool football games. They even get Inazuma Eleven and we don't.

Forgot Virtua Striker had FC Sonic as an unlockable. But those games usually stayed in Europe or Japan. Ultimate Soccer came out in Europe only, I think.

Europe/Japan gets all the cool football games. They even get Inazuma Eleven and we don't.
I thought you were British? Aren't you part of Europe?

Not to be accusatory, I'm just confused.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought you were British? Aren't you part of Europe?

Not to be accusatory, I'm just confused.
I live in Canada, lol.

Though to be fair, I was born in another commonwealth country and was raised in Canada, so whatever my parents do/say generally rubs off on me. Do I sound too proper? My bf says I pronounce things too formally/with an upper speech register too, but that's because my parents' accent sometimes comes out of my mouth. D:

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You're a fine lady, Schala! I wish I wasn't some foul mouthed guttersnipe girl.
Hey, any girl can have the mouth of a sailor! It's fine. :D

I can be really foulmouthed when the opportunity arises! Particularly when I get really excited about something or really pissed about something. I just don't do it much in writing or conversation because my parents usually enforced that it wasn't polite to do it. That, and I'm a pretty quiet person in general.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Are those bee enemies in Unleashed supposed to be impossibly hard to hit?
Oh yes.

And last but not least, the fucking bees.
TaB9s.png

What the fuck is up with these enemies? Every single encounter I had with them in a hot dog mission I had to cheese by either unleashing or throwing them off the level if I could. If I tried to beat them normally they would either take way too much time or do way too much damage to me in the survival missions. Is there a bug with their hit detection or something or are they meant to be the worst fucking enemies in the entire game?

Huh, I must have glossed over that post the first time.

I'm feeling really conflicted on the HD version so far. On one hand, the Werehog is still terrible, but on the other, at least I've only had to do one night act per continent instead of the 4-5 at a time that the Wii version throws at you.

I'd play a better game, but I let a friend borrow a few of them, and I'm battling a fever, so I can't go pick them up for myself D:

I live in Canada, lol.
Oh.

...then how the hell did I get you coming from England? Man, that's both weird and hugely embarrassing.

Do I sound too proper? My bf says I pronounce things too formally/with an upper speech register too, but that's because my parents' accent sometimes comes out of my mouth. D:
There is no such thing as too proper.

Actually, I suppose it would be in my best interest to retract the immediately preceding statement; if one were to start talking in an excessively sesquipedalian form, as I have decided to demonstrate for you thusly, the resulting excessive labor of perusing the resulting prose would begin to compound, such that eventually all parties involved reach a point that none can put up any further with condoning such verbosity and must bequeath the orator to merrily and gracefully return to talking like normal English-using homo sapiens of the year of our Lord two-thousand-twelve are wont to do.

But you're nowhere near that level, so I think we're good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^That's the greatest thing ever.
KuGsj.gif

Shadow Hog said:
...then how the hell did I get you coming from England? Man, that's both weird and hugely embarrassing.
It's the British spelling, I bet. Also, Canada still has ties to the Queen and stuff. It's kind of like Britain? Only more Americanized and cold. And my parents are way into cricket.

Shadow Hog said:
There is no such thing as too proper.

Actually, I suppose it would be in my best interest to retract the immediately preceding statement; if one were to start talking in an excessively sesquipedalian form, as I have decided to demonstrate for you thusly, the resulting excessive labor of perusing the resulting prose would begin to compound, such that eventually all parties involved reach a point that none can put up any further with condoning such verbosity and must bequeath the orator to merrily and gracefully return to talking like normal English-using homo sapiens of the year of our Lord two-thousand-twelve are wont to do.

But you're nowhere near that level, so I think we're good.
Umm, actually I do this when I feel like being a jerk to someone who's irritating me, lol. But I was a linguistics major in my undergrad so people naturally assumed that we spoke with higher registers all the time (which isn't the case at all, given that we generally analyze various speech registers, particularly if we're studying sociolinguistics). People who speak like that generally love to think they have a lot of power in terms of conversation and production, but in reality it lessens speech comprehension on behalf of the listener because it's just more stuff to process in terms of cognition. If you're not on the same speech register, it's just more weird stuff to cognitively map and connect and that'll result in severe miscommunication.

But it's hilarious to hear. :D

Seven Force said:
Huh, I must have glossed over that post the first time.

I'm feeling really conflicted on the HD version so far. On one hand, the Werehog is still terrible, but on the other, at least I've only had to do one night act per continent instead of the 4-5 at a time that the Wii version throws at you.

I'd play a better game, but I let a friend borrow a few of them, and I'm battling a fever, so I can't go pick them up for myself D:
At least you seem to take less issue with the Day levels? Is that a good thing? Hope you feel better soon.

There are still more Werehog levels in various continents, but they're optional, so yeah, the ratio of Werehog:Hedgehog is better in this game. There are some levels in the Wii version that I prefer more than the HD version (ex: Cool Edge, Eggmanland), but I think the HD version's alright.

The only WB-licensed game I got back then was the Genesis Animaniacs game. Game was awesome, though, so no hard feelings.

Tried the SNES Animaniacs at one point; never really felt like I understood it, unlike the Genesis game, which I got instantly.

I've gotten Buster Breaks Out since then, though (randomly showed up at a used game store that's since shut down). Good title, although I think I've only beaten it on the easiest difficulty thus far.

Buster Busts Loose was fantastic for the time. I really liked the dash mechanic, and there's a scene near the end where you're running up a vertical shaft, jumping between walls, trying to keep your dash refilled without hitting the trap buttons along the way. They even include two difficulties of the shaft for you to choose from, the harder one having a bonus at the end.

And I agree, the football level was amazing. It was the closest thing to a sports game I loved as a kid.

I had the Genesis platformer (I forgot the name, but I remember Buster having a running animation that parodied Sonic's) and Acme All Stars, which might as well have been named Tiny Toons Basketball, because the Basketball sub game was the only one I played in it.

Kokonoe

Banned
I got S0L to tell us who the commentator for Sega Racing is.

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic...sformed/page__st__1160__p__498903#entry498903
Ok doke,

I re-iterate my 'Please don't harass this guy' comment, I know a lot of you are level headed sensible people, but we do get the odd one who isn't

The actor last time was Mac McDonald, he's a pretty well known actor in the UK for playing Captain Hollister in Red Dwarf, but I'm sure if you go look on IMDB, you'll see he's been in a lot of well known films and TV series.

Which is weird, we seem to have this knack of finding people who have been in classic BBC Sci-fi. The original Gilius voice actor for SST was the guy who played Space Commander Travis in the first series of Blakes Seven. About 4 people in here will be old or nerdy enough to be able to name him without looking that one up!

I still want to somehow get Brian Blessed in a game we're doing - once that happens I can retire with pretty much all my dreams complete

---
S0L
---

Psxphile

Oh my goodness, this was my favorite level in that game.

It was a nice change of pace. Once you figure out the mechanics of the ball toss you can end it pretty quickly. And the best feeling in the world is managing to run the ball more than halfway across the field without being tackled.

I always wanted Buster Busts loose as a kid. I got stuck with the okay-ish Genesis platformer instead.

They were very different games by design. Buster's Hidden Treasure had a fuckton of similarly-designed stages to work with, while Buster Busts Loose's stages were unique but few in number (just 5!). Very short game. While BBL excels in presentation, BHT had more "game" to it, I feel.

I've gotten Buster Breaks Out since then, though (randomly showed up at a used game store that's since shut down). Good title, although I think I've only beaten it on the easiest difficulty thus far.

You played the abridged version. :eek: Normal mode lets you play each level to its entirety, and Hard mode gives you a proper ending, at the cost of only being able to take one hit before dying (until you find the items that extend your life bar... even then max is 3 hits).

You played the abridged version. :eek: Normal mode lets you play each level to its entirety, and Hard mode gives you a proper ending, at the cost of only being able to take one hit before dying (until you find the items that extend your life bar... even then max is 3 hits).
Oh, I know. I've been meaning to go back to it and play it on Normal, but I kind of figured I was missing something when the train level that'd been giving me issues in the prior playthrough was suddenly missing in that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom