• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog is 18 years old today. Lets look back, then forward. (no, 56k, no)

I keep saying it Sonic need to go back to HIS OWN WORLD! why do they keep puting him on fucking road's in the real world

I want green hill zone's I dont want a beach or running down the M1

you dont see mario doing any real plumbing

kairu

Dear Sega,
Please make a sidescrolling sonic game with 2.5D 1080p graphics. Please include lots of loops, rings, Robotnick, Chaos Emeralds, and fast running (really fast). Do not include human love interests, sonic's friends (possible exception of knuckles/tales if the game were to have co-op), shitty slow sections like an overworld or town, or were-anything.

Love,
Kyle

wRATH2x

Banned
Again, a good 3D Sonic should follow Sonic Adventure 1 and 2's Sonic levels with updated graphics and a tweaked camera. Oh, and only Sonic is playable and no more shitty friends.

I would also like a return to the Genesis Sonic's world.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wrath2X said:
Again, a good 3D Sonic should follow Sonic Adventure 1 and 2's Sonic levels with updated graphics and a tweaked camera. Oh, and only Sonic is playable and no more shitty friends.
Werewolf form aside, that's kind of what Unleashed did.

kairu said:
Dear Sega,
Please make a sidescrolling sonic game with 2.5D 1080p graphics. Please include lots of loops, rings, Robotnick, Chaos Emeralds, and fast running (really fast). Do not include human love interests, sonic's friends (possible exception of knuckles/tales if the game were to have co-op), shitty slow sections like an overworld or town, or were-anything.

Love,
Kyle
i'm amazed anyone is still asking. why Sega haven't made such a game is a real mystery. hell it's also a mystery why they haven't made a 3D sonic game that is basically just a succession of levels just like the Sonic/Shadow ones from Sonic Adventure 2 where you only play as sonic and don't turn into a frickin werewolf or drive cars or something.

both of these things have been well requested. you could forgive Sega for thinking they knew best at first. what seems like a dozen or so games later... it's pretty obvious that they do not know best.

wRATH2x

Banned
plagiarize said:
i'm amazed anyone is still asking. why Sega haven't made such a game is a real mystery. hell it's also a mystery why they haven't made a 3D sonic game that is basically just a succession of levels just like the Sonic/Shadow ones from Sonic Adventure 2 where you only play as sonic and don't turn into a frickin werewolf or drive cars or something.
It sickens me when they could have done it but nooooooo, Shadow is going to GTA on our asses.

Regulus Tera said:
It's 5AM and I'm in part 10 already.

WHY DO I LOVE IT SO MUCH
Sega1991 said:
That same group is also in the home stretch for a Sonic Unleashed LP and will apparently be moving on to Sonic and the Black Knight once they're done.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/pokecapn/videos/

During their Unleashed playthrough, they make a few infrequent references to "That Other Game."

"Hey guys, remember how running into a wall like that in That Other Game would kill you instantly?"

"No. What Other Game? I don't remember. Stop talking."

Fuu

Wrath2X said:
Actually no, it didn't.
How it didn't? If you take away the Werewolf you get only Sonic speed stages. They even said the project started as Sonic Adventure 3.

Fuu said:
How it didn't? If you take away the Werewolf you get only Sonic speed stages. They even said the project started as Sonic Adventure 3.
Basically every new 3D Sonic is Sonic Adventure 3. Heroes, 06, and Unleashed.

wRATH2x

Banned
Fuu said:
Even if SA1&2 relied on speed it had a lot more platforming than unleashed. And unleashed felt like it was on-rails many times and had many quick time events relying more on trail and error, Adventure was not like that.

After spending a little time with Unleashed I have to say, if I were 10 and couldn't play God Of War, the Werehog sections might be cool to me. Also, if they weren't 25 minutes a level.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I think I once heard that the Sonic Adventure 1/2 ports on the Gamecube were horrible. Is this true, or was it exaggerated?

I haven't played through these since the Dreamcast days, and I really want to go back and see how well (or poorly) they hold up.

Catalix said:
I think I once heard that the Sonic Adventure 1/2 ports on the Gamecube were horrible. Is this true, or was it exaggerated?

I haven't played through these since the Dreamcast days, and I really want to go back and see how well (or poorly) they hold up.
They were identical but I think the newness just wore off by the time they hit Cube.

Catalix said:

sa1 on cube is ok, a rather standard port (bugs included, they even added more) but sa2 had a revised mulitiplayer which is fun with another friend if you like the game, the original mp was good anyway but now you can play as metal sonic and BIG in a mech.

so, sa1 dx is worth passing up if you already own the dc copy, sa2 battle is worth it for the multi if you find it cheap now.

Adv1&2 were awesome on the GC, though I've only played those versions.

Yes the framerate is inconsistant in Adv1, but it's still really fun to play, and Adv2 has no framerate issues whatsoever, hell I haven't really seen any glitches during normal gameplay. Adv1 did freeze during the final fight a few times though. :p

And yeah, both are $20 brand-new (as is Heroes) if you can find them.

Sonic Adventure DX... Sonic Adventure is already kind of a janky and dated feeling game and Sonic Adventure DX does it no favors. All the "improvements" to the game just make the bad parts of Sonic Adventure even more noticeable, and the improvements aren't even really that great. The improved textures, in some places, genuinely look worse than what they replace. The more detailed character models only highlight the poor animation and amateur cinematic presentation. They tried to bump the framerate up to 60fps, but in actuality, it just makes the game feel even more unstable because it never holds a solid 60fps, so it's frequently switching between 60fps and 30fps (and below). The added "Mission Mode" is basically completely worthless.

I hear Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is pretty alright, though. A few of the textures were cleaned up, levels were given slight bumps in detail (more objects, more effects, some of the character models are made up of more polygons). Besides that, it's basically identical. No worse for wear.

Sega1991 said:
Sonic Adventure DX... Sonic Adventure is already kind of a janky and dated feeling game and Sonic Adventure DX does it no favors. All the "improvements" to the game just make the bad parts of Sonic Adventure even more noticeable, and the improvements aren't even really that great. The improved textures, in some places, genuinely look worse than what they replace. The more detailed character models only highlight the poor animation and amateur cinematic presentation. They tried to bump the framerate up to 60fps, but in actuality, it just makes the game feel even more unstable because it never holds a solid 60fps, so it's frequently switching between 60fps and 30fps (and below). The added "Mission Mode" is basically completely worthless.

I hear Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is pretty alright, though. A few of the textures were cleaned up, levels were given slight bumps in detail (more objects, more effects, some of the character models are made up of more polygons). Besides that, it's basically identical. No worse for wear.

I remember hearing that Sonic Team USA did both Adv2 DC and GC, but which team did DX? The Japanese team did the DC JP version, but USA "finished" it didn't they? Or something...

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Thanks for the input, guys. I haven't owned a Dreamcast in years, so I'll probably take my chances with SA DX.

The reason I was apprehensive about purchasing them is because I heard that the framerate issues made it unbearable, but that doesn't seem to really be the case. I can deal with shitty textures and inconsistent framerates on older games, as long as it's playable.

Looks like I'll be hunting those down soon. Should be cool reliving those memories :)

Adventure 2 is pretty much a straight upgrade. All the old content, with some new stuff tossed in for multiplayer. One of my most played GCN games, second only to Smash Bros Melee. I think I've clocked over 200 hours.

DX does have some issues, but the fact that it has most/all of the Game Gear games is a nice bonus.

Catalix

RocketDarkness said:
Adventure 2 is pretty much a straight upgrade. All the old content, with some new stuff tossed in for multiplayer. One of my most played GCN games, second only to Smash Bros Melee. I think I've clocked over 200 hours.

DX does have some issues, but the fact that it has most/all of the Game Gear games is a nice bonus.
Woah, had no idea about that. Incentive increased! Thanks!

Catalix said:
Woah, had no idea about that. Incentive increased! Thanks!
Here's a big ol' list of all the changes. Most notable are the GG games, Mission Mode, and the Chao Garden upgrades to add features from SA2. Oh, and a Metal Sonic skin is unlockable. not sure if that was in the original.

GG Game List:
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic Blast
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Drift
Sonic Drift 2
Sonic Labyrinth
Sonic Spinball
Sonic Triple Trouble
Tails Adventure
Tails's Sky Patrol

Catalix

Holy shit, I've only played like 1/4 of that list, man. This should be fun :D

Cygnus X-1

d31bdea6b90bc0c3ed8e7d6ea280bc2a.jpg

Sega1991 said:
I guess now's as good as time to post about this as any, but I've been watching a lot of insane Japanese Sonic Unleashed speedruns this last week or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7f5MJzPa-o

The Eggmanland video was impressive, but that video is just freaky. After speedrunning a short secondary act, he blasts through the main one at a crazy pace. And then he runs what looks like the entire level backwards, while editing over footage of Sonic interacting with NPCs both comically and non mixed like a music video, and all dubbed with music from other sources, like Secret Rings. It's genius yet totally insane at the same time. :lol

I haven't even gotten through the others by him, but damn does he have fun with it. The shot of Sonic peering over at the woman's book... :lol

Himuro said:
If I were to get either of these games, which should I go with? Sonic Rush or Sonic Rush Adventure?

Both, Rush is like $10 all over the place, and it sets the stage for mechanics Rush Adventure uses. Rush Adventure is the better game, though.

Knuckles Chaotix should be added to the OP. When you get past the chained-together aspect of the game, it's a damn fine Sonic game. Visually it is something to behold. They absolutely drenched that game in amazing colors. Prettier than Ristar and approaches Astal IMO.

Himuro said:
Why is Rush Adventure the better game?

Maturity of the mechanics (Rush was trying something very different), much better difficulty balance, more polish all around. Soundtrack isn't quite as good in Rush Adventure, but it's still decent.

You really should get both, and just grit your teeth through the hard spots of Rush.

HUELEN10

Himuro said:
You guys are making Sonic Unleashed actually sound...good.
ALL 360 HD VERSION TALK BTW

Because it IS a good game.
Because it is hands-down THE best consoles Sonic of the century bar-none.
Because it throws away all the old to go into a new direction, and does a damn good job at pulling it off, while still "reminiscing" the old feel ironically.
Because it is obvious the devs gave a shit or 2 about this game, it shows.

I am not saying it is a great game, I am not saying it is LOL PLATFORM MOMENTUM SONIC BACK 2 ROOTS, I am saying that it is a damn good game, as long as you confront it with the proper mindset, you will be in for the time of your fucking life. If you are looking for classic Sonic, 3D OR 2D, you WILL be disappointed.

All in all, I made a bold statement months back by saying that this game, to me personally, was near Sonic 3 & Knuckles purely in terms of sheer enjoyment mind you, but I still stand by that statement.

Game does not deserve its hate, and it is easily worlds better than Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic 06, and Shadow The Hedgehog....

COMBINED

If you even had a slight amount of fun with any of the aforementioned, you own it to yourself to play this one through.

Apotos=This era's Green Hill Zone. A new feel, for a new Sonic.

"Ultimate Sonic"

HUELEN10

Himuro said:
I've been meaning to give Sonic Unleashed a chance because hey - it was a demo, and even in the old Sonic games - 2 in particular - the early stages emphasize speed and flashy shit while the later stages grow into something much more poignant.
See, with Unleashed, I ALWAYS feel as I am in control. THe levels can be very linear, but it is not mere on-rails to me. Maybe you would enjoy the whole package more. As for Werehog, all you have to remember is to hold B after you jump. Simple as that! Once you level up yourself just a bit, werehog can become quite fun. It is like Knuckles plus 3d ristar plus god of war. Just try it with the right mindset. You don't HAVE to like it, but I think you should definitely try it, at least play through half of the game.
replicashooter said:
How is Sonic And The Secret Rings?
Hard, but VERY fun and rewarding, though slightly repetitive. OST kicks major ass.

BE FOREWARNED THOUGH, AVOID THE ARTHURIAN SEQUEL LIKE THE FUCKING PLAUGE

replicashooter said:
How is Sonic And The Secret Rings?
I really enjoyed it. You start off perhaps a bit too slow, but the level-up system is fun. There's a ton of different abilities to play around with, and if you feel like it, you can upgrade your speed to ludicrous levels. It's pure Sonic, the story is simple and low-key. All-in-all, I quite enjoyed it. I need to go back and finish 100%ing it.

Catalix said:
Holy shit, I've only played like 1/4 of that list, man. This should be fun
There's a lot of duds in there, but I fondly remember Chaos and Triple Trouble from my childhood. Triple Trouble moreso, really. I sucked at Tails Adventure back in the day, but going back, it's a really fun little spinoff, and helped set Tails up as the gadget guy of the series. Highly recommended.

Himuro said:
Don't care about Unleashed now. Tell me about Rush and its sequel.
The Rush series is great. I feel it blows away the GBA sequels easily. It adds the Tension bar, which drastically changes how you play the game. It's definitely faster than the other 2D games, but they use the dual screens very well to give you more time to react. Not nearly as much exploration as the Genesis series, but there's still quite a few alternate paths.

Himuro said:
So you're saying that Rush is harder while Rush Adventure is more easy?

Rush it is!

More like Rush Adventure uses less cheap tricks, and makes the harder areas secret optional stages. It has these little islands that you can find that serve as challenge maps, but you don't have to go looking for them if you don't want to.

But if you like Rush, you'll probably go for Rush Adventure anyway, so by all means!

HUELEN10

Himuro said:
Don't care about Unleashed now. Tell me about Rush and its sequel. :lol
Well Rush and Rush Adventure take the SAdv2 Speed-based Sonic gameplay to the next level with more speed, and a funky soundtrack to boot. There are gimmicks on some levels, but nothing bad. Boss battles for the 2nd one are fucking sweet. You can get both for only 40 USD new, so go for it!
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Maybe one day I'll pick up Unleashed. I've decide to come back to this-gen gaming so it just might be worth a shot.
Make sure it is the Xbox 360 version. This is IMPERATIVE.

Fuu

I'm one of the people on GAF who thinks that Unleashed (360 at least) is a very fun game and actually better than Adventure 1 and 2. There are others who can defend this position much better than I can (I'm not particularly interested in trying either, the franchise has too heavy a baggage that usually steers me away from online discussion about it) so I'll just say I agree with almost everything Sega1991 and dark10x said about the game in their posts.

HUELEN10

Fuu said:
I'm one of the people on GAF who thinks that Unleashed (360 at least) is a very fun game and actually better than Adventure 1 and 2. There are others who can defend this position much better than I can (I'm not particularly interested in trying either, the franchise has too heavy a baggage that usually steers me away from online discussion about it) so I'll just say I agree with almost everything Sega1991 and dark10x said about the game in their posts.
You do well in doing that then.

I'd be happy with a Sonic game that doesn't require the player to get killed a dozen times just to go through a stage.

HUELEN10 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24D3EobRi_w&fmt=18

Himuro, take a look at that boss. This is what Rush Adventure's Bosses are like.

Love the bosses in this game!

I like how it takes like 30 hits to kill that boss it's still ten times faster to kill him than any boss in Sonic Rush 1. That game had some of the worst bossfights I could ever imagine in a platformer.

Himuro said:
I don't mind speed based gameplay if there's gimmicks. In fact, there needs to be gimmicks to overcome the fact that it emphasizes speed so much.
There's some minor level gimmicks like hang-gliding and the like. Adventure had snowboards, not sure if the first did.

In Rush, the goal is basically to keep your Tension meter overloaded at all times. Overloading it gives you infinite boost, and all you need to do to keep it overloaded is provide it any source of energy within 5 seconds or so of the last time it gained energy. Most common methods include doing tricks off of ramps and springs (tapping B or A), tricking on rails (R button), or killing enemies.

HUELEN10

Fuu said:
Doing what? Agreeing with them or not trying to go deeper in the issue? :lol
No, in agreeing with those people. They are the type of Sonic fan that makes Sonic discussion worthwhile because they make sense. Sega1991 is right on the ball, and I agree with him on his opinions, even though we like different core Sonic gameplay.

Himuro said:
One of my problem with Sonic games is that they're too easy though.

Note the word "require" though. Until you find the right path through each stage you're going to die. I'm fine with getting hit and losing all of my rings as it still gives me something to strive for in a future playthrough but death is such an absurd finality in Sonic games. If you don't jump here or you're pressing the wrong direction when going around a loop or something you might just fly off a cliff and into oblivion. That's not challenge at all.

Sure you're required to learn the stages to master them anyway but to give such a harsh punishment for little mistakes? Especially ones that you can't see coming? What a load.

That's one thing about extra lives that always interests me. In Mario games they hand them out like candy because the developers expect players will try new things and will need something to fall back on. In a lot of older games respawnable extra lives were handed out when the player reached unfamiliar areas that introduced new concepts or level designs(sort of like checkpoints in modern games, as long as you manage to grab that 1up you can try that section again). But when it comes to later Sonic games it seems like you get 1ups all the time because it seemed more like the developers had no idea what they were doing and just handed them out until the player managed to stumble to the end of the stage.

Himuro said:
What games?
Sonic Adventure 1 - The last three stages feature a frequent amount of pits, mechanics issues, and just plain areas that want to throw you in holes. Most of the game plays it relatively safe though because it's obvious Sonic Team was experimenting and trying new things.

Sonic Adventure 2 - Somehow Sonic Team thought they nailed it so they went for something more ambitious and with more opportunities to fail. It doesn't work. Half the time walls and other objects have to be strategically placed just to keep Sonic from flying off into space.

Sonic Heroes - I hesitate to even call this game playable but mechanics-wise it's easily the worst of the lot with nothing sensible and nothing in terms of well-thought level design.

Shadow The Hedgehog - Obviously this game follows Heroes in terms of level design but at least Sonic Team made an effort to make this one playable. Course this game plays it safer than even Sonic Adventure 1 most of the time. Out of all the 3D Sonics I died the least number of times in this one(which is crazy since it takes multiple playthroughs to get the final level & boss).

Sonic '06 - Forget about it. Everything from the speed stages to generally just wandering around can get you killed several times over. It's obvious the game needed another year in the oven before it could pull off half of the shit it's trying to do.

Sonic Rush - It's never quite obvious where the pits are (they really are random, at least compared to the early games). And well I dunno it's never obvious.

I left out Advance, Unleashed, Rush Adventure, and Wii-exclusive titles because I honestly have never played them or put enough time into them to formulate a proper thought.

Top Bottom