• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unlimited coming this year (new tone, focus on the lore, playable character...)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
sonic-generations-banner.jpg

Edit: missing the TWO playable characters in the title...

As the leak keeps happening, I though a tread could be great. This is the 3rd time we heard about this new game, and everything is concording.
This new Sonic game is coming this year (maybe early 2022 at worst) and here is what the leak is saying:

1612379739447.png

I'm curious to see this. The fact that there is no boost was a little bit surprising and I need to see the gameplay, but if the speed is well adapted with the momentum it can be really fun. And we need to go REALLY fast.

Last edited:
Damn... this is sounding awful. I hope I'm wrong though.

They live in world where anthropomorphism is normal. Why would "hedgehog lore" need to be a thing? Maybe they'll go the route of the old Archie comic series where all echidnas come from some technologically advanced civilization.

Last edited:

Zephir

>A balance of serious and light-hearted tone
>Sonic Unleashed

...the one with people not giving a fuck about a planet being destroyed, the one with ice creams, the one where a guy held hostage complained about a sandwitch, the one with a megazord fight, the one with CHIP?

...yyyyyyyeeeeeah....
Well, as long as it's not a clown festival like Lost World and Colors (as in, as long as Pontac and Graff are as far away as possible from the script), it'll be ok

Everything else looks good...too good actually, but we'll see

Whitecrow

Banned
Sounds good.

If they make Amy a somewhat likeable character, that would be great.

Come on, my body is ready for another good 3D Sonic game.

Soodanim

I’m going to play this but I have to admit Sonic’s history is what happens when you create a corporate mascot just because.
I was a Mega Drive kid, but this is 100% true. Say what you want about Nintendo, but their handling of Mario has been exponentially better than Sonic. Think of how many Sonic games have been outright flops. It’s a shame. The best one in years was Mania, when they let a fan game be official.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what Sonic should be, too, which can’t help. They can’t even decide on which design is best, which is why we got Generations.

Zug

It's going to be shit, like every single Sonic episode made after S3&K.
Mania being the single exception, mainly because it was more of a successfull fan project.

Miles708

I was a Mega Drive kid, but this is 100% true. Say what you want about Nintendo, but their handling of Mario has been exponentially better than Sonic. Think of how many Sonic games have been outright flops. It’s a shame. The best one in years was Mania, when they let a fan game be official.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what Sonic should be, too, which can’t help. They can’t even decide on which design is best, which is why we got Generations.
And still is relevant. This is telling.
If it would have been just a little bit better handled, right now Sega would laugh all over other "Disney who?" characters.

MAtgS

Amy getting top billing with Sonic. Oh goody, that's just what the world needed :messenger_unamused:

Not that it matters, every "leaked" Sonic game of the last decade had been fake bullshit.

Fret Runner

Sonic: Hi, Silver. You look like you've got something to say. Do you?

Silver: Yes, I certainly do! Hello there, Sonic. I know there's a lot of people who don't like me and wish I would go away. I think we got off on the wrong foot. I know I can come off a little proactive, and for that I'm sorry. But if everyone could find a place in their hearts for the little silver hedgehog that nobody wanted, I know we can make them laugh and cry until we grow old together.

Note: Silver went to the future and never returned.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

No Boost is fine by me

speed is gained by momentum is great idea

but if there is something I don’t trust sonic team with is physics

Soodanim

Sonic: Hi, Silver. You look like you've got something to say. Do you?

Silver: Yes, I certainly do! Hello there, Sonic. I know there's a lot of people who don't like me and wish I would go away. I think we got off on the wrong foot. I know I can come off a little proactive, and for that I'm sorry. But if everyone could find a place in their hearts for the little silver hedgehog that nobody wanted, I know we can make them laugh and cry until we grow old together.

Note: Silver went to the future and never returned.
Silver or Shadow?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Did they seriously unironically put “Sonic” and “lore” in the same sentence?

There’s a reason ”deepest lore” is a joke when talking about Mario.
There’s also a reason Sonic fell from grace a while ago.

The meme truly writes itself here.

sHLiomP.jpg

Miles708

sHLiomP.jpg
I mean, stories in SA1 and 2 were genuinely enjoyable. It's a difficult balance to strike, though.

I just hope anyone responsible for Sonic Forces story and cutscenes got nothing to do with this game, honestly.

Soodanim

sHLiomP.jpg
The closest Sonic ever got to lore was the comics (UK version) I used to read as a kid. Fleshed out the world and did a bit more with Robotnik and Super Sonic (who ended up as a bad guy separate entity from Sonic)

Kholinar

Banned

sHLiomP.jpg
Sonic has had lore in their games since SA1 came out. Where have you been? And Mario does genuinely have lore, funnily enough. Paper Mario, M&L, RPG, Galaxy 1, SMW2.

Spaceman292

Banned
Who’s ‘people?’ The fan base? Because the Sonic fan base deeply cares about the quality of the stories and the characterisation of the cast.
Genuinely can't tell if this post is sarcastic.
Anyway I'll bet my house on this new game sucking just as much as all the others.

Does Sonic need "serious" moments? It's a fucking hedgehog with shoes on.

I wish the series would pivot back to the original industry v nature. Go back to rescuing animals and the environment from obese polluters :messenger_horns:

Orta

Banned
Sounds horrible.

Why do you do this to me Sega, you bastards!

Just get Lizardcube to remake 1, 2 & 3 with the SOR4 engine. A remake of Sonic Adventure 1 with a working camera and proper controls would be epic too.

Last edited:

SegaShack

Only if it's an evolution of Sonic with completely hand drawn style rather than 30 year old looking sprites.
Sounds awful. SoR4 would be a million times better with sprites.

Literally all Sega has to do is make 2D Sonic games. Not sure why they are too arrogant to see this.

Sonic games shouldn't even have a story beyond the instruction manual IMO. They are arcade style games.

I want a 2D Sonic game with entirely new levels. Generations and Mania were great but I don't like how the levels are environments from other games.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned
Genuinely can't tell if this post is sarcastic.
Anyway I'll bet my house on this new game sucking just as much as all the others.
Lmao, if you came here to hate, then get the fuck out of this thread. Stop derailing discussion with sardonic posts about how a game that hasn't even been announced yet will 'suck.'

Unknown?

Sounds awful. SoR4 would be a million times better with sprites.

Literally all Sega has to do is make 2D Sonic games. Not sure why they are too arrogant to see this.

Sonic games shouldn't even have a story beyond the instruction manual IMO. They are arcade style games.

I want a 2D Sonic game with entirely new levels. Generations and Mania were great but I don't like how the levels are environments from other games.
No one wants ugly ass sprites either. If they do sprites they should look like they haven't been stuck in the 90s. Technology has evolved since then for better looking games with no pixelation. People who want Sonic 3.5 over and over are blinded by nostalgia.

Fake

Who’s ‘people?’ The fan base? Because the Sonic fan base deeply cares about the quality of the stories and the characterisation of the cast.

Disagree. Not all. Sonic fanbase is very divided at this point. We have modern fans, adventure fans, retro fans and even boom fans.

Top Bottom