• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic's 2011 20th anniversary game confirmed, multiplatform

androvsky

Sonic Anniversary
Could put out collectors edition with all old sonic games on one BD disc.
“Best of Sonic” for around $99.
SCEA would love PSN exclusive power ups/different game modes (like Castlevania’s flip it over/backwards)

Goddamn, the leaked Sega document just keeps on giving, doesn't it?

G-Fex

I think Sonic needs to be a bit more mature. Dump the old silly awful friends.

Get more mature. You know? Maybe have more than one stupid spindrive move. Bit more realistic.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Kusagari

G-Fex said:
I think Sonic needs to be a bit more mature. Dump the old silly awful friends.

Get more mature. You know? Maybe have more than one stupid spindrive move. Bit more realistic.

ShadowTheHedgehogWallpaper800.jpg

RobbieNick

"Clicks. Reads the first few posts. Facepalms."

Thanks for giving it a remote chance. Assholes.

Of course this is what I've come to expect from GAF.

RobbieNick said:

Look, they're giving it one more chance, but if SEGA doesn't get it right *this* time, seriously, they're out!

Haunted

RobbieNick said:

Yeah, I dunno what's up with those guys.

Sega promising they're going back to the roots just proves to me that they get it. They get Sonic. And you know they're good for it.

Kusagari

RobbieNick said:

I know right. Sega has such a good track record recently with returning Sonic to his roots. I can't believe these guys trashing it!

Firestorm

RobbieNick said:

Have you heard the story of the boy who cried wolf?
It's a good story.
You should read it.

andymcc

Banned
RobbieNick said:

So I take it SEGA is paying you per post?

RobbieNick said:
There isn't even any details yet!! None of this cynical bullshit is warranted.

SEGA publishing a Sonic game is enough of a detail to warrant cynicism.

RobbieNick

andymcc said:
So I take it SEGA is paying you per post?

SEGA publishing a Sonic game is enough of a detail to warrant cynicism.

Both Sonc and Sega All Stars Racing and Sonic 4 got rave reviews. Sonic Colors is getting tons of praise. Sega had had a great year of games. (Bayonetta, Vanquish, Yakuza 3, Resonance of Fate Valkeria Chonicles 2. I could go on.)

I'll I'm saying is wait for SOME MOTHERFUCKING DETAILS before passing any sort of judgment.

andymcc

Banned
RobbieNick said:
Both Sonc and Sega All Stars Racing and Sonic 4 got rave reviews. Sonic Colors is getting tons of praise. Sega had had a great year of games. (Bayonetta, Vanquish, Yakuza 3, Resonance of Fate Valkeria Chonicles 2. I could go on.)

I'll I'm saying is wait for

Sega All Stars Racing, Bayonetta, Vanquish, and Resonance of Fate are not developed by Sega.

Sonic 4 has very few reviews out, and i doubt it will get "rave" reviews. It'll get lukewarm ones, which, i guess if you're comparing that to the sonic series exemplary games of the last 10 years, that means something.

I'm not going to knock the quality of SEGA titles, I'm going to say that SEGA has a lot to prove with the Sonic series. A four stage, wrongfully titled sequel to Sonic Rush is not enough.

KamenSenshi

Sonic games at least look ok most of the time, at least that is a constant that is good. How can anyone still be will to give sega blind faith that they will turn out a good sonic game after the past decade? One mans trash is anothers treasure I guess.

Kusagari

RobbieNick said:

I'll I'm saying is wait for SOME MOTHERFUCKING DETAILS before passing any sort of judgment.

Here's the details: a Sonic game developed by Sega. The guys who haven't made a good Sonic game in a decade. That's all the details we need.

Foffy

Banned
Kusagari said:
Here's the details: a Sonic game developed by Sega. The guys who haven't made a good Sonic game in a decade. That's all the details we need.

B-but it'll be different this time! I'm sure of it!

I await for the first bad feature of the game to be revealed. They're going to have some strange mechanic that will ruin the flow of the game, I'm sure of it.

Amir0x

Banned
RobbieNick said:

i dunno it's sort of conditioning, no? Not everyone has abused wife syndrome - most of us are smart enough to sorta come to expect they'll be beat after they take a beating every single time he swears it'll be the last time.

RobbieNick

Kusagari said:

Hardly a cycle. It's misinformation put together by cynical dicks.

Here's the rundown......

RECENT BAD SONIC GAMES -

Sonic Heroes (Debatable)
Shadow
Sonic '06
That Sonic Rivals series no one gives two shits about.
Sonic Riders (1 was decent. 2 sucked. I could care less about the new one.)
Black Knight

RECENT GOOD SONIC GAMES
Secret Rings
Unleashed (Debatable)
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Chronicles (Shitty sound though)
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing
Sonic 4 (It's good. Deal with it.)
Sonic Colors Wii and DS (Most Likely)

There is no cycle. You take the good with the bad.

You take them both.

And there you have.

The facts of Life.:lol

loosus

Banned
Do you ever wonder why you keep clicking threads with the word "Sonic" in the title? I mean, it's been dead over 15 years. I don't buy the games, but I somehow still click the threads.

I mean, I liked Scooby Doo growing up, but it's not like I still watch the "New Scooby Doo" episodes. Same applies here.

RobbieNick said:
RECENT GOOD SONIC GAMES
Secret Rings (Debatable)
Unleashed (Debatable)
Sonic Rush (Debatable)
Sonic Rush Adventure (Debatable)
Sonic Chronicles (Shitty sound though) (Debatable)
Sonic 4 (It's good. Deal with it.) (Debatable)
Sonic Colors Wii and DS (Most Likely) (Debatable)
fixed

Gameboy415

Great news, I can't wait! :D

Screw the haters and their "Sonic Cycle" bullshit - if you don't like the games don't buy them!

Amir0x

Banned
the only good Sonic games to come out this past decade have been the Sonic Rush titles. I haven't played Sonic 4 yet, though, so I'll hold my opinion on that

Kusagari

RobbieNick said:
RECENT GOOD SONIC GAMES
Secret Rings
Unleashed (Debatable)
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure

The facts of Life.:lol

The only good games on there are Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure which were mainly good because of Dimps not Sonic Team. Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing is good too but also not developed by Sonic Team. The Sonic Team developed games all suck.

andymcc

Banned
RobbieNick said:

Here's the rundown......

RECENT BAD SONIC GAMES -

Sonic Heroes (Debatable)
Shadow
Sonic '06
Black Knight

RECENT GOOD SONIC GAMES
Secret Rings
Unleashed (Debatable)
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure

How is unleashed's quality debatable? surely, you're saying Sonic 4 is GOOD because certain critics say so, yet, these same critics are the ones that slammed unleashed. going by your reasoning (or lack thereof) to create this list, you would also have to say that unleashed is a bad game.

RobbieNick said:

Here's the rundown......

RECENT BAD SONIC GAMES -

Sonic Heroes (Debatable)
Shadow
Sonic '06
Black Knight

RECENT GOOD SONIC GAMES
Secret Rings
Unleashed (Debatable)
Sonic Rush
Sonic Rush Adventure

i-could-care-less.jpg

Sciz

As much as I've seen some parts of GAF clamor for Sega to just remake the classics, I expected a slightly more positive reaction to the announcement that that's basically what they're doing.

andymcc

Banned
Sciz said:
As much as I've seen some parts of GAF clamor for Sega to just remake the classics, I expected a slightly more positive reaction to the announcement that that's basically what they're doing.

chances are, these "remake" stages will be laden with bottomless pits, enemy bridges and broken-ass lock-on. thus, the qualities that made the stages great in the first place will be lost.

Foffy

Banned
Sciz said:

I think the best idea is to have your expectations to the floor, so if it goes above them, you'll be pleased. :D

That's the only way I've liked some Sonic games lately. If I even dare to have hopes for new Sonic games like I did for older ones, I think I'd have to break down in disappointment pretty often.

I just know the moment I let my guard down, thinking it won't be so bad, something occurs that makes me feel foolish for even considering that it'd be all sunshine and rainbows. And it's almost always a mechanic tossed into a game that should have been left out, or included as a feature not in the main game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If they're going around remaking levels I hope they don't forget the handheld games like they always do. Most of them may suck (game gear ones most notably) but still had the odd cool level here and there.

Top Bottom