• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic's 2011 20th anniversary game confirmed, multiplatform

J@hranimo said:
Wait...a combination of 2D and 3D?

Ugh....the Sonic series and SEGA is the weirdest thing ever man. This cycle is not healthy...
It'll probably be like Unleashed and Colours where the camera shifts between a 2D and 3D perspective. That seems to be the main style of gameplay for 3D Sonic these days.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Lindsay said:
If they're going around remaking levels I hope they don't forget the handheld games like they always do. Most of them may suck (game gear ones most notably) but still had the odd cool level here and there.

What. The old GG games (Sonic 1, 2, Chaos and Triple Trouble) were great. Sonic Blast, Sonic Drift 1 and 2, Tails Skypatrol and Sonic Labyrinth sucked, however. The GG version of Sonic Spinball was garbage too, just like the Mega Drive version.

Oh, and Sonic Anniversary, eh? Not gonna raise my expectations until we know more about what it'll be exactly.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... Retail game right? Or downloadable?

ShadiWulf

Iizuka is re-imagining the classics in 3D because he hates 2D games :lol

He is gonna fill up ur childhood memories with automated loops, boosters, and homing attacks.

DeVeAn

RobbieNick said:
Both Sonc and Sega All Stars Racing and Sonic 4 got rave reviews. Sonic Colors is getting tons of praise. Sega had had a great year of games. (Bayonetta, Vanquish, Yakuza 3, Resonance of Fate Valkeria Chonicles 2. I could go on.)

I'll I'm saying is wait for SOME MOTHERFUCKING DETAILS before passing any sort of judgment.
I am with you bro, I think we should hang our hats. NeoGaf and Sonic don't make "happy" discussions.

Colocho

Banned
So let me get this straight, Sonic 1, 2 and 3 were great games and everybody liked them, right? then it's been about 15 years without a single great game in the franchise and people still believe that someday they'll be able to re live the "glory days"?

Just pick another franchise to go batshit crazy about, guys.

Colocho said:
So let me get this straight, Sonic 1, 2 and 3 were great games and everybody liked them, right? then it's been about 15 years without a single great game in the franchise and people still believe that someday they'll be able to re live the "glory days"?

It's pretty tough to jump off the Sonic Cycle.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Except the fact that the night levels were far too long, I really really liked Unleashed.

Except for the last level. Damn.

Combichristoffersen

Colocho said:

Sonic Adventure was pretty good back then (it's aged horribly by now though), and the day levels in Unleashed were fun, but otherwise.. Yeah, Sonic 3&K was probably the last really great game, and I don't even like S3&K as much as Sonic 1 and 2.

DeVeAn said:
I am with you bro, I think we should hang our hats. NeoGaf and Sonic don't make "happy" discussions.

A lot of people have already made up their minds at what they expect from Sonic the Hedgehog, and with very good reason. Trip Hawkins, the man who basically founded EA, said that a franchise was only allowed two failures before it no longer became worth saving financially (in other words, it would be too costly to rebuild the reputation that franchise had lost, and would be better to cut and run and find something new).

Say what you will about "bad 3D Sonic games", but even up to Sonic Heroes, they had some redeeming qualities. But there was little-to-nothing to redeem Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic 2006.

Inexplicably, though, Sonic still makes money. If I remember right, in 2008, Sonic was #11 in the top ten most profitable game franchises, beating out Pokemon, World of Warcraft, etc. So even if Sega decides to climb the long road back to respectability and we start getting 3D Sonic games with redeeming qualities again (which we have, and are), it'll probably never be enough, if only because it's easier for people to go NYURRR SONIC CYCLE *raspberry*

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the pinnacle of the franchise.

SA1 is only mediocre now because it was mediocre when it first came out.

If Unleashed is the best 3D Sonic game yet, then it merely demonstrates how fucked up this series has become.

Sonic Colours will find a way to disappoint.

This game won't because we all know it will suck ass.

vazel said:
SuGYZ.jpg

Hey look! Its Fido Dido!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
_Alkaline_ said:
Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the pinnacle of the franchise.

SA1 is only mediocre now because it was mediocre when it first came out.

If Unleashed is the best 3D Sonic game yet, then it merely demonstrates how fucked up this series has become.

Sonic Colours will find a way to disappoint.

This game won't because we all know it will suck ass.

I agree with this, but I would put SA1 slightly above "mediocre" to good and SA2 to mediocre.

Is SA on XBLA yet? I haven't turned on my Xbox in weeks.

......I guess it all depends upon what they consider the best stages over the years. My excitement hinges upon what Sonic Adventure & Sonic Adventure 2 stages will be featured. Hype meter currently at interested level.

theultimo

Stat Flow said:
Yes, and if you have a DC, play that. Its a horrible port, no widescreen, added bugs, missing effects, and much more! Its fine if you have never played it before though.

Stat Flow said:
I agree with this, but I would put SA1 slightly above "mediocre" to good and SA2 to mediocre.

I agree, SA1 trumps SA2 in my opinion. SA2 tried way too many obnoxious gameplay diversions and the "praised" Sonic/Shadow stages got to be overly long chores towards the later levels. And that final level with all the characters playable in parts, shoot me now. Plus, the depressing "darker" and "gray" look to all the stages, while SA1's whole image was vibrant and uplifting: tropical and lush, it had beaches, utopian metropolitan cities, jungles, lush ancient temples, valleys, sky pathways, snowy mountains, lava mountains, theme parks, it had it all. Plus, the music was pretty damn inspired.

theultimo said:
Yes, and if you have a DC, play that. Its a horrible port, no widescreen, added bugs, missing effects, and much more! Its fine if you have never played it before though.

No, you're doing it wrong. If you've never played it before, take a time machine to Sept. 1999 and travel to the launch of the DC, get a DC, and bask in the incredible DC launch hype and associate the fond memories with SA1. That's probably why I regard it as the "best" 3D Sonic next to HD Unleashed.
But seriously, first time play the DC version.
Play the XBLA/PSN version later down the line for friend leaderboard competition and achievements/trophies, surround sound and (zoomed using your TV settings) widescreen. The DX PC port (which is basically what the XBLA/PSN ver is) is missing the "soul" of the DC version, as similar as it is, little things count in my opinion. Just a little depressing after 11 years we don't get some real upgraded version and instead a version worse than what we were playing 11 years ago. To think the future would be like this...

Sonic’s best levels from across his career adapted to the current generation of consoles.
If Sega let Dimps within 100 miles of this, they may as well get the shovel out and bury Sonic right now. The idea of Green Hill Zone involving bottomless pits, homing attack bridges, plastic grass and moon physics is too horrifying to think about.

I also seriously doubt it will include Sonic's best levels, we'll probably end up with crap like Hill Top and Marble Garden in place of Chemical Plant or Ice Cap.

WillyFive

Anticitizen One said:
Mario ain't got shit on Sonic when it comes to graphics

That's because Nintendo realizes you have to spend more than three months on everything other than graphics to make a good game.

Azure Phoenix said:
If Sega let Dimps within 100 miles of this, they may as well get the shovel out and bury Sonic right now. The idea of Green Hill Zone involving bottomless pits, homing attack bridges, plastic grass and moon physics is too horrifying to think about.

I also seriously doubt it will include Sonic's best levels, we'll probably end up with crap like Hill Top and Marble Garden in place of Chemical Plant or Ice Cap.

Ironically, Dimps is probably the only one that we know can make a playable game out of this, even if they change everything.

After the way sonic 4 has been made I have zero interest in this idea, don't ruin the classics any more then you already have, sega.

As for 3d sonic games I would love to see a sonic adventure 3, base it on sonic adventure 2 with fixes to emerald hunting and less shooting stages and i'll lap it up, SA2 is still one of my favourite sonic titles even with it's flaws, since it's a 3d game I don't compare it to the 2d titles.

Diablohead said:
After the way sonic 4 has been made I have zero interest in this idea, don't ruin the classics any more then you already have, sega.

As for 3d sonic games I would love to see a sonic adventure 3, base it on sonic adventure 2 with fixes to emerald hunting and less shooting stages and i'll lap it up, SA2 is still one of my favourite sonic titles even with it's flaws, since it's a 3d game I don't compare it to the 2d titles.

I agree, until they can round up most of the original S3&K staff, stop tarnishing the classics, SEGA.

I'd also want a solid Sonic Adventure 3 (you can sort of call Unleashed HD to be SA3, the "real" title is Sonic World Adventure (JP) after all) but involving more of SA1's elements, just made very solid.

They obviously made approaches to make a refined SA1, as seen in Sonic 2006 with the opening level being a real tribute to SA1's Emerald Coast, the snowboard part like in SA1's snow level, etc. But obviously they fell short in many areas, using the first stage in 2006 as an example - it was a very nice stage, GREAT music, pretty nice visuals, but the gameplay and controls felt sloppy, as with physics. And then they cockblocked us during this tropical high speed level with the Tails section. And then the broken "high speed zone" area where if you touch a rock you'll die and/or your body will rotate into a blue screen of death and 10 seconds later you'll lose a life. The hub world obviously trying to expand on SA1's, but SA1 had it just right: fast and easy to navigate with no extra BS like minigames or fetch quests.

See, the idea isn't shit.

If Nintendo had said they were making "Mario Anniversary", a platforming tour-de-force that mixed up levels, worlds, themes. ideas and powerups from the very best Mario games, with challenging new levels and bosses, we'd be having a collective Nintengasm right about now. Riding Yoshi in World 1-1, taking Kuribo's Shoe to Dinosaur Land, fighting Wart with the Hammer Bros suit.

And we'd be right to be hyped, because we know there's barely a chance of a fuck up.

Unfortunately, the idea has been advanced by Sega and their woeful Sonic Team, the single most incompetent development studio to ever exist in the entire history of the games industry.

121221.png

45455.png

3332.png

nz21ac.jpg

No one has fucked up for so longer time, over so many games, took so many bad decisions and fallen so far as they. They've taken a franchise that held its own against Mario, and destroyed it one abomination of a game at a time.

Even with Sonic the Hedgehog 4, from all observations a broken shoddy mess of a game, they've shown how much value they place on the quality of the franchise by not actually bothering to make a game in its own right, instead renaming an in-development iPhone Sonic game to "Sonic 4" and upscaling it to consoles.

I can't think of anything more that shows how little a shit they give.

Now, this is will not happen:

A 2D/3D mix of the worlds of Sonic, rendered with perfect visuals, sound and physics, a platforming reimagining of some of gaming's greatest moments.

Now, these will possibly happen:

Several new friends introduced, including Derek the Dog and Cranky the Cat, who will provide objectives and tutorials. These will be unskippable, and voice-acted with appaling quality.

Shadow the Hedgehog will be playable from the get-go, giving "Dark Story" players the opportunity to drive through Emerald Hill with their Uzi, gunning down robots.

Rouge the Bat's ongoing sexual tension with Knuckles will be alluded to in the "Story Mode".

Sonic will be reunited with his true love, Pricess Elise, in a finale that rewards devoted followers of this epic saga.

Did someone say Fetch Quests?

Now, these will almost certainly happen:

The characters will have terrible, grating voices.

You'll be forced to play characters who have truly boring levels and mechanics.

There will be an "epic" story.

Really out of place, awful rap music.

And alas, these will definitely happen:

Homing Attack and Boost.

Broken physics and masses of glitches.

Shoddy level design.

Bottomless pits everywhere.

"The Gimmick".

Terrible visual design.

The absolutely unneeded "epic" story they force on us will be stupid, terribly written, unskippable and make fuck-all sense.

The Sonic Cycle continues as if nothing had ever happened.

0 HP

this is such a lame idea. what is it going to take for sega to just license sonic out to another developer?

imagine if they gave the ip to treasure for a game:
-best sonic game ever by default
-treasure would be rich enough make new games again instead of sequels

the list goes on. it would be win-win for everybody involved.

Arnie

God, Sonic. They need to just put the franchise to bed until someone can come and do a proper job. As it stands the franchise is just a battered shell of its former self.

Sonic 1 was one of the first games I ever played and loved, when I look at the franchise now I'm in disbelief. Even Sonic 4 looks poor. I honestly don't know how they can't just create a proper sequel which builds on the strengths of the original games. Why the fuck is there an auto aim in my Sonic?

0 HP

Segata Sanshiro said:
no way, he's obviously calling for bioware
i didn't even know bioware made a sonic game and i thought dimps was part of sega or some shit. i was only trying to help, i don't appreciate you guys patronizing me >:|

Combichristoffersen

0 HP said:
i didn't even know bioware made a sonic game and i thought dimps was part of sega or some shit. i was only trying to help, i don't appreciate you guys patronizing me >:|

Bioware made that Sonic RPG for the DS. It got a lot of mediocre review scores IIRC.

I just bought Sonic Adventure off the PSN Store, and Christ, that shit's aged even worse than I remembered. The awful buttrock makes me physically ill, and the camera is quite possibly some of the worst I've ever seen in any game. Also, I want to punch Tails in the face every time I hear his whiny voice. There are some good parts to be found in the game, but holy Moses if there aren't a whole fucking lot of truly shitty ones too.

Combichristoffersen

Gravijah said:
you are not welcome in my buttrock appreciation thread

afk to weep manly tears of pain

You can keep your buttrock appreaction thread to yourself, I'll just stay over there in my Superior Master Race German Industrial Rock thread >:|

FEUER FREI!

Wallach

Gravijah said:
oh shit crossover jokes

this is like Gravijah & Wallach at the NeoGAFs

What, how did I get second billing? That's some shit.

Being a little more on-topic the idea presented in the OP is pretty scary.

Gravijah

Combichristoffersen said:
You can keep your buttrock appreaction thread to yourself, I'll just stay over there in my Superior Master Race German Industrial Rock thread >:|

FEUER FREI!

you're lucky i like that shit
Wallach said:
What, how did I get second billing? That's some shit.

Being a little more on-topic the idea presented in the OP is pretty scary.

it's alphabetical ;)

Combichristoffersen said:
Let's make out to Tanzwut <3

i not allowed to make out on forums anymore :(

0 HP said:
If you want, I can ignore you, but this is kind of like the Brooklyn Brawler getting to do a promo with The Rock.

Top Bottom