• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s Andrew House Found Microsoft’s Response to the PS4 Pro “Quite Intriguing”

Maybe in an alternate reality where the PS4 slim and Pro aren't going to outsell the Xbone S and Scorpio by huge margins.
I really wonder if that will be the case. A year is a long time and when Scorpio is new and much more powerful, the Pro will be old news. Unless Sony have something planned for next year.

See i keep seeing this brought up, but if i recall correctly certain neogaf posters and media people like arthur giles were claiming with a 100% certainty that sony was following microsofts no used games policy almost identically and this move was a response to them more so than Microsoft

Yup. That shit was rampant until the E3 conference shut it down, even from the media.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I really wonder if that will be the case. A year is a long time and when Scorpio is new and much more powerful, the Pro will be old news. Unless Sony have something planned for next year.

Yeah, I would say the Scorpio is a bit of an "X" factor. It could very well turn the tide if it does everything Microsoft has said it will (and more since it's a year out). It might handle backwards compatibility much better, for one. Original Xbox backwards compatibility might be a realization too. I feel like Scorpio's intentions will be to make it clear that investing in Scorpio is an investment in an ecosystem that won't go away with the next system (digital or otherwise).

g11

It's like Sony guy is a pot and the Microsoft PR guy's a kettle and the Sony guy is all like "You're black!" and totally doesn't realize he is too!

thuway

The real questions you should be asking:

1. How does Microsoft prove to the mainstream consumer that their newer, more expensive box with a fraction of the install base is worth investing into if you are already one of the 60+ million PlayStation customers? (*estimation of how many PlayStation family units will in the wild circa Fall 2017)

2. What could motivate Sony to launch PlayStation 5 earlier?

3. If Scorpio is an unbridled success- what sort of ambition and raw specs bump could Sony aim for in the PlayStation 5?

The real questions you should be asking:

1. How does Microsoft prove to the mainstream consumer that their newer, more expensive box with a fraction of the install base is worth investing into if you are already one of the 60+ million PlayStation customers? (*estimation of how many PlayStation family units will in the wild circa Fall 2017)

2. What could motivate Sony to launch PlayStation 5 earlier?

3. If Scorpio is an unbridled success- what sort of ambition and raw specs bump could Sony aim for in the PlayStation 5?
why should i be asking about the playstation 5 lmao

Purest 78

Main factor is price imo You'll be able to get the pro at $350 Holiday 2017. If Scorpio is $500 or more Pro will sell more with ease.

thuway

why should i be asking about the playstation 5 lmao

IMO, Scorpio's success or failure, will directly reflect what the PS5 is.

Scorpio and PS4 Pro represent two different attempts at the "enthusiast" gamer. Price point aside- Sony is banking on an install base of 60+ million by the time Scorpio launches alongside a significant price difference. Sony's attempt at fighting Scorpio is to try and convince consumers that the fidelity gap is small enough that-- more importantly-- things like price point and where the largest player online base is - will be the primary determinant for sales.

Scorpio's hedging its bets on technical fidelity and is a test to see how important fidelity is to the mainstream consumer. Xbox will look to convince consumers that Native 4K, better graphics, and "definitive" versions of console ports will be more important to consumers than price point or install base.

In either case:
1. If Scorpio reverses Microsoft's fortunes and truncates PS4 Pro Sales, it reinforces to Sony/the industry that raw specs, native resolution, and technical features are far more important than install base and price point.

2. If PS4 Pro's momentum continues well beyond Scorpio's launch, it signals to Xbox/the industry that consumers value price points and a larger pool of players to interact with over raw specs and accessory media functionality.

The consumer ultimately decides what makes a PS5/XB2. Hence why I ask about PS5.

Nocturno999

Love how they're acting all righteous and funny yet right under their smug faces there is a small information bit about their new scammy, injustified multiplayer paywall they secretly introduced without even talking about it.

And now they think they're above Microsoft and are "intrigued" about their much less inflammatory tweets. The PS4 pro was a huge letdown that made the two next Xbox consoles look much better, get over it and return the salt to the ocean, House.

It's unbelievable how much of the goodwill Sony has lost since the mid-to-late PS3 days, and they just won't stop until Xbox turn the tides again.

It will be interesting how Sony responds to MS's tweets and fans concerns (Sony fans not Sony moronic worshippers).

I'm not talking about verbal BS, but addressing quality concerns that they don't seem to care at all.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You don't see the difference between making anti-consumer decisions and just making an unimpressive product? How quickly do people forget the shit MS were trying to pull?

Ps4 !

NO

xbox one !

NO

wii u!

NO

pc!

It's true. A position of weakness, criticism, and failure is what breeds innovation and OUR (the consumer's) best interest.

1. Nintendo's absolute failure in the console space motivated them to release Mother 3 and Earthbound in the United States; Iwata Asks became a thing, and steps were taken to embrace consumers internationally. Nintendo has never been more "intriguing" and interesting to me since 2006, I'm hype for NX.

2. Microsoft's awful unveil of the Xbox One convinced them to absolutely trash the initial concept of what Xbox One was. Some may call it a 180, but out of the 180 came backwards compatibility, EA Access, legitimate attempts at broadening the exclusive portfolio, and an Xbox controller that finally supports Bluetooth.

3. Sony's fall from grace with the PlayStation 3 created the most developer friendly environment in the history of consoles, the most drastic redesign of the Dualshock since it's inception, and a machine that was more POWERFUL AND CHEAPER than it's closest competition.

Failure motivates trailblazing. I may disagree with my fellow GAFFers, but I'm always going to be on the side of a GAFFer before I side with any corporation. Corporate worship- for as long as I can remember being a gamer- has done absolutely nothing for innovation. In fact all it ever does is raise prices (remember 3DS launch price of 249.99?), position anti-consumer loopholes (raising PSN/XBL prices any one?), and takes us for granted.

For sure. The PS4 is a great product but I feel Sony has almost gotten too comfortable. PS4 is a great product and by far my most used console because it delivers tonnes of content I want to play at a consistent pace. But if you look at all of the things they've stumbled on recently: UHD Blu-ray, Issues with account hacking, cross-play, mods, their PS4 Pro messaging, raising the price of PSN...like you say, it's a far cry from the Sony had took names in 2013.

While I disagree with the idea that they've become arrogant again, I do think that their success is exposing an air of complacency which is why it should come to no surprise to anyone that Microsoft is taking advantage of it. Sure, in the long run they've lost the sales war but why wouldn't you take shots at the competition within reason? Keep Sony on their toes. It's good for everyone.

I also think that House is right here that Microsoft's tone has changed since announcing Scorpio, but it's the nature of the beast. It's petty, but also kind of funny, a bit like Sony's "another Mario game" post back in 2013. As gamers we should be sitting back and enjoying the theatrics from afar because at the end of the day, they're only doing it to woo us into spending money on their platforms and services rather than the competitions.

It's true. A position of weakness, criticism, and failure is what breeds innovation and OUR (the consumer's) best interest.

1. Nintendo's absolute failure in the console space motivated them to release Mother 3 and Earthbound in the United States; Iwata Asks became a thing, and steps were taken to embrace consumers internationally. Nintendo has never been more "intriguing" and interesting to me since 2006, I'm hype for NX.

2. Microsoft's awful unveil of the Xbox One convinced them to absolutely trash the initial concept of what Xbox One was. Some may call it a 180, but out of the 180 came backwards compatibility, EA Access, legitimate attempts at broadening the exclusive portfolio, and an Xbox controller that finally supports Bluetooth.

3. Sony's fall from grace with the PlayStation 3 created the most developer friendly environment in the history of consoles, the most drastic redesign of the Dualshock since it's inception, and a machine that was more POWERFUL AND CHEAPER than it's closest competition.

Failure motivates trailblazing. I may disagree with my fellow GAFFers, but I'm always going to be on the side of a GAFFer before I side with any corporation. Corporate worship- for as long as I can remember being a gamer- has done absolutely nothing for innovation. In fact all it ever does is raise prices (remember 3DS launch price of 249.99?), position anti-consumer loopholes (raising PSN/XBL prices any one?), and takes us for granted.

100% agree on all counts. It's amazing how corporations become "Prosumer" when they've been humbled and have been put in a position of coming from behind. The idea that both MS and Sony are better when they're in 2nd place is basically an industry truism at this point.

thuway

100% agree on all counts. It's amazing how corporations become "Prosumer" when they've been humbled and have been put in a position of coming from behind. The idea that both MS and Sony are better when they're in 2nd place is basically an industry truism at this point.
Just look at AMD and Nvidia. AMD in their architectural woes is investing heavily into "mainstream" prices and hardware that can offer premium performance for as little money as possible.

Meanwhile, Nvidia has symmetrically increased prices year over year because consumers keep buying no matter what the cost. As long as they have zero competition and a consumer base willing to overlook glaring issues like their two year old GPU now lagging below the performance of it's direct competitor of yore by a substantial margin- or their drivers absolutely breaking older GPUs - they have zero reason to change a thing.

The "true" fruits of success are higher prices for future products, less value, and lack of innovation because - let's face it- why change something or offer more when you have no reason to.

Curufinwe

Thinking Scorpio is going to turn the tide worldwide when the Xbox brand is at such a disadvantage outside of the US and UK is pure fantasy.

Fuchsdh

All the people calling the console generation won remind me of the people who said PS3 was dead in the water circa 2007 or 2008. It came back in sales over the lifetime of the console. Microsoft has a tougher battle given its historically weaker strength in EU and JP that it only magnified with its stumbles out the gate, but they still have plenty of opportunity. Only begun the console wars have.

N.Domixis

Banned
All the people calling the console generation won remind me of the people who said PS3 was dead in the water circa 2007 or 2008. It came back in sales over the lifetime of the console. Microsoft has a tougher battle given its historically weaker strength in EU and JP that it only magnified with its stumbles out the gate, but they still have plenty of opportunity. Only begun the console wars have.
Now that Xbox One has lost its two main advantages, the sales in got outside UK and US and the Kinect crowd which resulted in the insane PS3 and 360 gap. Will Scorpio's new found power levels be enough to overcome this? Tune in next week and find out on the next exciting episode of Consol War Z.

Sitris

You acknowledge the xboxs failings in the rest of the world (albeit briefly) there is, without a doubt, a 0% chance they can come back on a world wide scale and outsell the ps4. This is not comparable to the ps3/360 generation gap which was primarily because the xbox was winning uk/Na. They may be able to catch (maybe, just maybe) up to the sales in Na and the UK. But they will never catch world wide. They just don't have the brand awareness of the playstation around the world.

King_Moc

Banned

PS3 launched a long time after the 360, and caught up fairly consistently over it's lifespan. Here, the two have released together, and PS4 has blitzed the XB1 since day 1. I don't see how the two situations are comparable.

This isn't even remotely comparable to the PS3 versus 360. PS3 managed to turn around their sales and actually eventually outsell the Xbox 360, remember?

And that's with the 360 releasing a full year ahead of the PS3. And not only that, it was cheaper than the PS3 for the entirety of the lifespan essentially. Often times by more than $100.

And PS3 still ended up selling more in the end.

In which reality could it happen that Xbox One + Scorpio eventually outsells PS4 and Pro? There probably isn't one anywhere remotely close to our universe.

What a garbage response from Andy. Less we forget all the Sony trolling for the past 3 years. Hypocrite much?

I just remember playing MGS IV on PS3, and at one point in the game between levels there's a loading screen that says "Please insert Disk 2. Just kidding! Unlike the competition, PS3 uses Blu-Ray disks so you'll never have to use multiple disks!"

In the middle of a $60 AAA game there was what amounted to a sniping ad for the PS3 at the expense of the Xbox 360. It was incredible.

Head.spawn

Love how they're acting all righteous and funny yet right under their smug faces there is a small information bit about their new scammy, injustified multiplayer paywall they secretly introduced without even talking about it.

I've seen that pic posted many a time and the video as well... never noticed they used that to introduce the Online MP-tax.

The fine details. Amazing.

Real talk, have Sony actually done any shit-talking this outside of the 9 months between PS4's announcement and launch? I feel they've been fairly quiet despite their huge sales lead.

King_Moc

Banned
I just remember playing MGS IV on PS3, and at one point in the game between levels there's a loading screen that says "Please insert Disk 2. Just kidding! Unlike the competition, PS3 uses Blu-Ray disks so you'll never have to use multiple disks!"

In the middle of a $60 AAA game there was what amounted to a sniping ad for the PS3 at the expense of the Xbox 360. It was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAV-Tr146Og

It was a clear reference to the 4 disc PS1 game, as this happens in a location that's been bought back from that game.

I don't see why you chose to quote it wrongly, tbh...

N.Domixis

Banned
Why are people mad about the Sharing video?Weren't most of us against no used games? That did so much damage it saved us from no used games. This is one case were I am glad they did it.

The increase in psplus is the only real one. no uhd is anti dozensofus.gif, thats no big deal.

Oh my God people. Seriously?

That was a reference to the Dualshock versus standard PlayStation controller on the original PlayStation. You know, the time it sniped it's own platform because of not having an analog stick at the start? Yea.

Also a reference to having multi-disk games on PS1. You know, like the original Metal Gear Solid.

Inside joke.

Jesus Christ how old are people here. I'm too old. Probably. Revisionist history be taking over though.

Sony HQ:
latest

8hptove.gif

If Sony does a pricecut around Xbox Scorpio that is all it would take to stay competitive for the holidays . Price point is very important during holidays.

Yeah, I agree for the most part. I mean, I'll definitely be buying Scorpio at launch. But even tho I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Pro, a holiday price cut would probably reel me in. So I could see picking up both new consoles next x-mas. I think both will sell pretty well with regard to realistic expectations at the higher price points, just as both the PS4 and Xbone have sold well relative to last gen.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Andy House always looks like he's unhappy even when he's happy. Like its a pained smile. lol

Nothing really factual wrong with what he said though.

leeh

I like the bants between them, gives me 13 pages of firey threads to read when I wake up in a morning.

Then again, I think MS stating their features isn't really a console war-ish, it's just stating your features.

With what Phil said, didn't he only refer to himself personally? He's not made any tweets similar to what Major Nelson and Aaron Greenberg have made has he?

When did Sony have the whole "new and different" approach to attitude towards their competition? That was MS, not them. They never claimed to be above that stuff.

Maybe someone should pull up their old console war slide from 2002?

This isnt new, sales-wise, generation's been over, and they won.
They have nothing to worried about.
I really wonder if that will be the case. A year is a long time and when Scorpio is new and much more powerful, the Pro will be old news.

Nah. If its really going to be viewed in the same lens as a cell phone except with luxury trimmings, then this is basically for the core market and that's it.
Most of the base is happy and will keep buying games as normal.

Top Bottom