• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s CEO Said Pokemon Go Is A “Game-Changer”, Will “Aggressively” Enter Mobile

Peterc

Sony’s CEO Said Pokemon Go Is A “Game-Changer”, Company Will “Aggressively” Enter Mobile Gaming

pokemon_go_logo_2.jpg

Sony CEO Kaz Hirai recently talked about the company’s mobile plans in an interview with the Financial Times. In fact, not only did Hirai talk about it, Hirai announced that Sony will be “aggressively” entering the business too. He said that “it’s quite a shift from being just a console-based business to being on mobile phones as well”. That wasn’t all, however. Kaz Hirai also gave Pokemon GO credit for the way in which the app worked. Hirai said that “Pokemon Go is a real game-changer. I’m very interested in the fact that it has the potential to really change the way people move, literally”. He also complimented the augmented reality that makes Pokemon look like they’re in the real world, calling it a “great innovative idea that’s going to lift all boats for the video game industry”. It apparently inspired Hirai, because he says he wants AR components to be in Sony’s games.
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/09/...ompany-will-aggressively-enter-mobile-gaming/

I'm glad that they also enter into the mobile market like Nintendo does.
But I feel again that Nintendo always need to show them how it's done.
I'll expect a Ps clone from pokemon.

What do you think?

Lock if old

Piichan

Banned
I'm glad that they also enter into the mobile market like Nintendo does.
But I feel again that Nintendo always need to show them how it's done.
I'll expect a Ps clone from pokemon.

Ehh, Nintendo's involvement in Pokemon Go is very limited, so I feel like your statement isn't really true.

I got tired of Pokemon Go after a week. If Sony makes similar experiences on mobile, I will probably pass.

Monocle

Can't wait to play Sonymon Whoa, the one-stop mobile service where all of my favorite Sony franchises are glitchy and oversimplified shadows of themselves.

Brocken

Banned
Humm, this is not good for a classic videogamer side if they shift resource from console games to shit like Pokemon Go

hodgy100

haha the NaCl in here.

Pokemon go was massive. while the game itself was mediocre and has a load of issues, the social interaction and metagame it facilitated was really great. I'd be super interested on people building on the concept

Peterc

Ehh, Nintendo's involvement in Pokemon Go is very limited, so I feel like your statement isn't really true.

I got tired of Pokemon Go after a week. If Sony makes similar experiences on mobile, I will probably pass.

Isn't true,

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...red_pokemon_go_feedback_from_his_hospital_bed

Btw i'm saying this because of wiimote brawl, and many other functions Nintendo build.
I'm not saying Nintendo doesn't take anything from their competitors, but it's clear Sony does it with a factor of x 10
It's not a bad thing, it means Nintendo does it right. But maybe they also need to take some risks first before other ones.

(im looking at MS,Sony, Nintendo)

Nightbird

Isn't Pokemon Go dying in popularity?

Granted it's still popular, but it seemed to have died down a bit.

Well of course. It was never going to stay the behemoth it was on launch.

What matters is that it's still one of the biggest mobile games out there

Monocle

Well, kids are back in school, Niantic still hasn't added a functional tracking feature, and the same 4 or 5 Pokemon show up way too often.

KingBroly

Banned
Well, kids are back in school, Niantic still hasn't added a functional tracking feature, and the same 4 or 5 Pokemon show up way too often.

They've kind of added a 'Pokemon of the Day' thing internally where more rare/uncommon Pokemon spawn in areas for a day or two now.

And yesterday in downtown Charlotte a ton of people were playing Pokemon Go.

Monocle

They've kind of added a 'Pokemon of the Day' thing internally where more rare/uncommon Pokemon spawn in areas for a day or two now.

And yesterday in downtown Charlotte a ton of people were playing Pokemon Go.
I'd be into that. Anecdotally, Go is still popular. Just not insanely so, which makes sense.

PlayStation All-Stars Go

You choose to play as Ratchet or Clank, and then you go around the world collecting parts of Knack so you can form Knack himself. The strength of Knack depends on the materials used to form him. At level 5 you choose Evil or Good team, and a corresponding Evil or Good version of Cole McGrath will help you on your journey.

KingBroly

Banned
I'd be into that. Anecdotally, Go is still popular. Just not insanely so, which makes sense.

I think it's a weekend scavenger hunt game. Maybe a few will go out of their way to play it, but when you're out, it's the game of choice by many. There are a lot of excuses to want to play it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It's dying as much if not a largely slower rate than most majority mobile games. That is to say it's still the highest grossing app in most countries. This is how mobile games work, not by popularity but whale hunting. It's still what am I going to do with all this cash profitable and will be so for the forseeable future.

Nintendo fans still giving Nintendo creative and developer credit for a game that was conceptualized and built by another company that just utilized the IP. Fandom I guess. I know, something something Iwata something something. Either way, I wonder who Sony will force to make mobile games.

Kathian

Banned
I don't mean to be harsh but with what? This is a company aggressively drawing back it's software output. They simply don't have the IPs and even then it's not like we haven't seen Song involved to some degree on mobile.

Will be interesting.

Fbh

I can already see them loosig money on this.

Seems like typical corporate reasoning that doesnt understand why pokemon go is successfull.

Wait and see how they release some Uncharted AR treasure finder and then scratch their heads when no one plays it

No matter how aggressive Sony go into the mobile market I just don't see any major successes coming from them. They don't have the kind of IP that Nintendo have to capture the casual market in a big way.

Rootbeer

Banned
Pokemon Go was the perfect storm of popular, underutilized IP meeting with an innovative and intuitive concept that was also free. Sony has a huge task on their hands if they think they can approach its success in any way. I love Sony and their IP, and they do need to start taking smartphones more seriously, but they have to be smart about it.

Top Bottom