• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s CEO Said Pokemon Go Is A “Game-Changer”, Will “Aggressively” Enter Mobile

KingBroly

Banned
I can already see them loosig money on this.

Seems like typical corporate reasoning that doesnt understand why pokemon go is successfull.

Wait and see how they release some Uncharted AR treasure finder and then scratch their heads when no one plays it

I thought they did?

Pokemon Go:
- Take the world of Pokemon
- Translate it to the real world
- Add in points of interest for people to gather around
- Profit

The Pokemon games have so much lore and hilarity built into its' absurdities that somehow, when applied to real life, it actually works in most of the same ways, with new absurdities to boot.

Tenki

Invizimals Go!

"The fuck is an Invizimal?"

Invizimals Gone.

nDXv7Er.png

Monocle

I think it's a weekend scavenger hunt game. Maybe a few will go out of their way to play it, but when you're out, it's the game of choice by many. There are a lot of excuses to want to play it.
Yeah, makes sense. It's easy to play on your commute (if you're not the one driving, lol), or whenever you're out and have a little time to relax.

I like to boot up the game for a few minutes when I'm walking to the coffee shop or wherever. It's a good way to fill the little spaces between activities.

oti

Banned
Didn't Nintendo themselves announce to investors that they get very little return from GO?

That itself has nothing to do with the headline of the article. And you don't have to be a fortune teller to know that Pokémon GO will change a lot of Nintendo's thinking towards mobile.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It's a neat concept even though Pokemon Go is a shitty game IMO.

It'd be neat to see an actual GAME with an ending and everything, instead of being a never ending treadmill/money pit.

Or maybe have mini games that tie in to their console games. Think of Borderlands "Loot the World" type game but it has you going to real locations instead of scanning barcodes.

dracula_x

btw → Sony forms new company to make PlayStation mobile games

Mar 24, 2016

Sony Computer Entertainment, to be known as Sony Interactive Entertainment from next week, has announced the formation of a new company called ForwardWorks that will focus on smartphone games. In a statement, Sony says it will produce "full-fledged game titles" that make use of PlayStation characters and IP as well as Sony's own experience in the video game market.

There's no indication of when we're likely to see the first titles from ForwardWorks, but Sony says the company will focus on users in Japan and Asia. Atsushi Morita, the head of SCE in Japan and Asia, will be president of the new unit, while the incoming boss of SIE overall, Andrew House, will be a member of the board. The company will be incorporated from April 1st, the same day SCE's transformation into SIE will take effect.

press release – https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160324.html

Ya think people put their lives at risk with Pokémon Go? Wait for Uncharted...

I mean, honestly, as much as I like Uncharted and all, I don't think it's at that kind of level as an IP. Pokemon is this thing that was a mega-fad, and then stayed relatively popular for decades since, and was rife for a nostalgic based revival on a new generation of platform. I doubt the Uncharted IP will even be around in another decade to be honest, and I say that as someone who enjoyed the games and is primarily a PS player.

KingBroly

Banned
It's a neat concept even though Pokemon Go is a shitty game IMO.

It'd be neat to see an actual GAME with an ending and everything, instead of being a never ending treadmill/money pit.

Or maybe have mini games that tie in to their console games. Think of Borderlands "Loot the World" type game but it has you going to real locations instead of scanning barcodes.

Get all the Pokemon is the end game

It's a Scavenger Hunt, where your goal is to get all the things on a List

PSFan

That itself has nothing to do with the headline of the article. And you don't have to be a fortune teller to know that Pokémon GO will change a lot of Nintendo's thinking towards mobile.

But it has something to do with the tweet that you responded to. It does still remain to be seen whether Nintendo will be successful in the mobile realm. Look at Miitomo.

I just think we all need to wait to see how Nintendo's next mobile titles do before declaring them a success in mobile gaming.

Ps3 psp and vita had AR games. None took off.

Not sure why they think it will be different this time. But there is no harm trying I guess. Sony does have a lot of experience in this area.

Atomski

I don't think Sony has an IP that would work as well as Pokemon.. seems like a foolish thing to chase after.

oti

Banned
But it has something to do with the tweet that you responded to. It does still remain to be seen whether Nintendo will be successful in the mobile realm. Look at Miitomo.

I just think we all need to wait to see how Nintendo's next mobile titles do before declaring them a success in mobile gaming.

I don't know why you are doing it but you're moving away from what we are talking about here. I didn't say Nintendo was/is/will be successfull in the mobile realm.

The Sony studio retweeting this is like a student being jealous of their classmate who got an A+ and trying to downplay it, which, again, is just petty. Bundled with the other tweet talking about Invizimals as if that ever was or will ever be a thing that anyone cares about makes this pretty obvious.

Aiustis

Give us Patapon for mobile.

Edit:

Not sure why they think it will be different this time. But there is no harm trying I guess. Sony does have a lot of experience in this area.

I think that has more to do with them sucking at cute and charming type fun games.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't think Sony has an IP that would work as well as Pokemon.. seems like a foolish thing to chase after.

Who does? What IP could work as close to Pokemon Go? I also use "close" very loosely. Whatever does come along, if/when they do, won't be making national news for various events, both good and bad.

This is going to be the new thing every game company is going to get into, isn't it? I can't wait for all the lukewarm Pokemon GO clones coming next year.

Atomski

Who does? What IP could work as close to Pokemon Go? I also use "close" very loosely. Whatever does come along, if/when they do, won't be making national news for various events, both good and bad.
I mean I can think of other Nintendo IPs that could work great on Mobile. Like Animal Crossing could be great if done right.. which I have my doubts about..

But outside of family friendly Nintendo stuff most big IPs from Sony and MS don't sound like they would work well on phone at all.

Actually I take that back some Rare games like Viva Pinata could work. Shit now I want Viva Pinata on my phone.

KingBroly

Banned
This is going to be the new thing every game company is going to get into, isn't it? I can't wait for all the lukewarm Pokemon GO clones coming next year.

I feel like lukewarm is a bit generous. Pokemon Go needed Ingress to build the social aspect of the game through tons of location data. It'll take years for any company to match that.

PSFan

I don't know why you are doing it but you're moving away from what we are talking about here. I didn't say Nintendo was/is/will be successfull in the mobile realm.

The Sony studio retweeting this is like a student being jealous of their classmate who got an A+ and trying to downplay it, which, again, is just petty. Bundled with the other tweet talking about Invizimals as if that ever was or will ever be a thing that anyone cares about makes this pretty obvious.

That tweet moves away from what we are talking about. One studio doesn't reflect the overall thoughts of the whole company or the CEO. They are just a small part of the Playstation division.

Any CEO of a successful gaming brand would take notice of GO's success and want to try to get into that market as well. People make topics like these and talk like Sony wants to put Nintendo out of business or vice versa, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

oti

Banned
That tweet moves away from what we are talking about. One studio doesn't reflect the overall thoughts of the whole company or the CEO. They are just a small part of the Playstation division.

Any CEO of a successful gaming brand would take notice of GO's success and want to try to get into that market as well. People make topics like these and talk like Sony wants to put Nintendo out of business or vice versa, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

I was just talking about the tweet, mate.

KingBroly

Banned

If you work for a company, anything you put out on social media will reflect on the company you work for, legitimate or not. And Sony Santa Monica is a BIG part of the Playstation division.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yup.

This is nothing new for Sony.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/09/...ompany-will-aggressively-enter-mobile-gaming/

I'm glad that they also enter into the mobile market like Nintendo does.
But I feel again that Nintendo always need to show them how it's done.
I'll expect a Ps clone from pokemon.

What do you think?

Lock if old

In fairness, they were making these investments before Pokemon Go.

Pokemon Go is not the gold-standard reference point for mobile success, so obviously anyone in the arena is going to talk about it. They're going to be asked about it. Pokemon Go was showing everyone how it's done.

HariKari

No one else has Pokemon, so they can chase the mobile dragon all they want. Not going to have success like that.

wildfire

Banned
It's dying as much if not a largely slower rate than most majority mobile games. That is to say it's still the highest grossing app in most countries. This is how mobile games work, not by popularity but whale hunting. It's still what am I going to do with all this cash profitable and will be so for the forseeable future.

Pokemon Go doesn't rely on whale hunting. Nintendo is quite proud of this fact that the revenue earning is spread across their active players.

iceatcs

Pokemon Go's success not because of Nintendo, it is because of Pokemon.
Lots of my casual friend or workmates didn't realise Pokemon & Nintendo.

Sony! it is nothing to do with Nintendo, it is 100% Pokemon.

PSFan

If you work for a company, anything you put out on social media will reflect on the company you work for, legitimate or not. And Sony Santa Monica is a BIG part of the Playstation division.

Only because a lot of internet posters act like spectators at a cockfight, with their favorite companies as the combatants.

Why is it such a big deal wants to try to emulate another companies success in a particular market? There's two topics made about Kaz's statement, and both are just full of snarky comments, towards both companies.

Oersted

It's dying as much if not a largely slower rate than most majority mobile games. That is to say it's still the highest grossing app in most countries. This is how mobile games work, not by popularity but whale hunting. It's still what am I going to do with all this cash profitable and will be so for the forseeable future.

You got it completely wrong.

oti

Banned
Last time Sony tried to copy Nintendo we got PS All Stars.

Shame they didn't copy Nintendo enough on this one.

I'm interested in better Sony Smartphone games. Why not.

This post is so wrong it hurts too.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No one else has Pokemon, so they can chase the mobile dragon all they want. Not going to have success like that.

Indeed, it's a fairly rare opportunity for anyone.

But you can have sizeable mobile success without the factors that helped Pokemon, with original IP. That can be very difficult to achieve but I guess they'll try like everyone else.

In terms of IP Sony does have, one that springs to mind with potential might be Gran Turismo. A type of Gran Turismo game for mobile might do well if properly executed/marketed.

Top Bottom