• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action

Cornbread78

Me because I was in a 360/PC mood around that time and never turned my PS3 on. There wasn't an online webstore back then so I couldn't redeem the games from my PC so I just never bothered.

Well, at least there is 1 out there, lol.

Bleh nothing I want from the games and I have a PS+ sub so that sucks that I can't grab that free 3 months. :/

Is there a list of games anywhere, or are they going back to the 4 offered way back when?

RPGCrazied

Talking to a Sony agent on PSN was a waste. They are pretty clueless about this. So even if I were to get $2 they will close my account never to be reopened again?

Zoe

Talking to a Sony agent on PSN was a waste. They are pretty clueless about this. So even if I were to get $2 they will close my account never to be reopened again?

Yes, if you were to seek money from this, you have to affirm that you haven't used your account since the breach and consent to it being closed permanently.

RPGCrazied

Yes, if you were to seek money from this, you have to affirm that you haven't used your account since the breach and consent to it being closed permanently.

I just read it wrong. I thought it was asking if you had money in your wallet when the breach happened. I probably did, but it wasn't that much. I always have like $5 in my wallet at all times, and I constantly use my account. I do everyday. Lets say I didn't have any money in my wallet, and don't get cash back. Will it still be closed for filing a wallet claim?

Zoe

I just read it wrong. I thought it was asking if you had money in your wallet when the breach happened. I probably did, but it wasn't that much. I always have like $5 in my wallet at all times, and I constantly use my account. I do everyday. Lets say I didn't have any money in my wallet, and don't get cash back. Will it still be closed for filing a wallet claim?

Yes.

The only reason to file a wallet claim is if you completely stopped using the account immediately after the breach and had no way of recovering any money you already stored in the wallet.

B-Dex

Not even a dollar per person. Now you know how little you're actually worth to the people with all of your information.

I don't understand the PS+ rules for this. My PS+ ran out at the end of December so other than the three free days that we are supposed to be getting for the DDOS issue, I am not a current subscriber. In the form I chose 3 months of PS+.

However, I do plan to subscribe again at some point. Not sure anyone here knows this but what will happen if I subscribe again before they complete this settlement? Do I lose out on the 3 months of PS+ or will it be added to the sub that I have?

RPGCrazied

Yes.

The only reason to file a wallet claim is if you completely stopped using the account immediately after the breach and had no way of recovering any money you already stored in the wallet.

Ouch. Might as well make a new account now and start over. The trophies I won't really miss, those can easily be got over time, its the hundreds of dollars I've spent on digital games and addons throughout the years. Lesson learned I suppose. Guess I could try calling the phone number under contact on the claim site.

Not even a dollar per person. Now you know how little you're actually worth to the people with all of your information.

Well...that's how class action works.

I was a part of the recent Bank of America settlement regarding their filthy debit priority and overdraft charge procedures.
I got a check for about 60% of a single fee.

Zoe

Well, I mean, that doesn't result in the account being closed.
Since, I have Landmark on that.

Looking at the form, they do offer Station Cash as an option.

Ouch. Might as well make a new account now and start over. The trophies I won't really miss, those can easily be got over time, its the hundreds of dollars I've spent on digital games and addons throughout the years. Lesson learned I suppose. Guess I could try calling the phone number under contact on the claim site.

Why do you want to file a wallet claim? You won't even be eligible if you're still using your account.

RPGCrazied

How can they close accounts if this is on the site?

This site is not operated by Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (“SNE”), Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (“SCEA”), or Sony Online Entertainment LLC (“SOE”).

This Settlement is supervised by the Court and is administered by a claims administration firm that handles all aspects of claims processing.

Why do you want to file a wallet claim? You won't even be eligible if you're still using your account.

As I said, I already did it, and I thought it was just asking me if I had money in my wallet the time of the hack. I read it wrong. Oh well.

Dambrosi

Banned
I just claimed my 3 months free PS+ for my US account, using my fake US account details, even though I'm from the UK. I wonder if it'll work...

From the agreement

I certify that at least one of the accounts I provided in this claim form was used between January 1, 2011 through May 14, 2011 and that, because of the Intrusions, none of them was used after that through June 13, 2014. I would like to close all of the listed accounts. If any associated wallet has a balance of paid virtual currency of $2 or more, I would like to receive a payment equal to that balance.

PLEASE NOTE THAT, IF YOU CHOOSE "YES" AND ARE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE THIS BENEFIT, ALL OF THE ACCOUNTS LISTED IN THIS CLAIM FORM WILL BE CLOSED AND NEITHER YOU NOR YOUR LINKED ACCOUNTHOLDERS CAN CLAIM ANY OTHER BENEFIT UNDER ANY OTHER SECTION OF THIS PLAYSTATION NETWORK ACCOUNT BENEFITS CLAIM FORM BELOW.

Please check here to confirm you wish to make a Wallet Balance Payment Claim. If you want to keep your account(s) open, do not check this confirmation box. You can instead submit a claim for benefits under another section of this Claim Form, if you qualify, as described in those sections.
I assumed that it meant I couldn't collect on the free games, and since I have them already, I clicked it and was like, whatever, if I get a buck that's better then a theme. You are telling me they are closing my account?

RPGCrazied

I assumed that it meant I couldn't collect on the free games, and since I have them already, I clicked it and was like, whatever, if I get a buck that's better then a theme. You are telling me they are closing my account?

That's what I thought, and I guess so. Might call them like I did and get someone higher up to see if they can delete the claim.

bigkrev

Thats exactly what it says in the part that is Bolded, Underlined, and Italicized.

RPGCrazied

So, if I were to make a new account can I still access games and things if I download it on my PS3 from the one that might get closed? I don't think this is going to happen for a few months.

RPGCrazied

Ok, guy called back and said to just resubmit the form, but this time click on no to the wallet claim.

Hope this works. I guess it just overwrites the last one or something.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm trying to remember if I took part in the Welcome Back program. I feel like I didn't since I didn't have a PS3 when it happened & the PSP offers sucked. I'll have to check & see if my history has anything for it. I'd love 6 free months of PS+, though hopefully they can apply it to my sub account & not the master.

Filed my claim, ended up picking Puppeteer as my free game (I too participated in the Welcome Back program).

Got hung up on both the Netflix q as well as the Captcha but figured them both out and was able to submit afterwards.

cuilan

Just submitted my form online. Didn't like any of the game choices which I didn't already have, so went with 3 months of free PS+. If I get nothing for some reason, then no big loss since the process didn't take any real effort on my part.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So these were the Welcome Back games, correct? I clearly remember now not getting any of those PSP games, so I think I qualify for 6 months of PS+.

So how will they handle PS+? Will they just apply it directly to your account, send you an e-mail with a code, mail back a physical letter, or something? & considering I don't have PS+ at the moment but had it in the past, I can still qualify, right?

Now how long will we have to wait for the Vita advertising settlement?

emb

Just got the email, was wondering if it was legit or solid phishing. Good to see it's real.

None of those games seem appealing, I guess I'll go for plus. Hopefully I don't have to enter payment info to take the free sub, because I don't really care to.

Rembrandt

Banned
Just got the email, but I don't own any sony consoles anymore so Sony doesn't have to worry about ya boy. Unless it's a code, then I'll give that 3 months of ps+ away.

emb

So did you have to file for the extra free game, or is that automated through Sony some how?
You have to file for it, but you do it online and it doesn't take long. I did it and then browsed GAF for 15-20 minutes since my last post. Site mentioned in this post:
EG36S6W.png

www.psnsoesettlement.com , but it looks like it is not ready yet

Minions

You have to file for it, but you do it online and it doesn't take long. I did it and then browsed GAF for 15-20 minutes since my last post. Site mentioned in this post:

Aw man; the 3 month sub is only for non-current PS+ subscribers? I was weighing that as my choice if I didn't see a game I wanted.

Ozigizo

So can I get 6 months of ps+ if I had an account and was unable to watch netflix during that period?

Edit: You can actually get 9 months if you had an account, were unable to access netflix, and did not participate in the welcome back program.

Seanze01

I filed for Patopon 3. I almost went for the $2 wallet fund but noticed that it would delete my account if I choose that option,and that would have SUCKED. Make sure you read every word people.

Side note: Is there a date for when we are supposed to receive our item(s)?

tav7623

Decisions, decisions......do I go with Puppeteer or God of War HD....hmmmmm, I think I'll go with Puppeteer cause I plan on getting the God of War Saga Collection soon.

Top Bottom