• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony and Panasonic scale back OLED development

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is terrible news.

I would much prefer an advancement in picture quality (black levels, colour, response times) via OLED instead of peddling 4K LCD.

So over to LG then?

jonnyp

You don't notice it unless you stand right next to the TV?

Atleast I don't with my VT30.

I notice it from 6 feet away and it is really jarring on the Kuro I have in my rented apartment. I'm dying to go home to my Sony LCD every time I watch it. :p

My LG gave me the best 3D when I compared it to all the other brands at the time. LG make some really nice sets nowadays.

I agree that LG is better than Samsung, but having owned LGs, Samsungs and Sonys I would always go for Sony even if it is more expensive. It's not only picture quality but build quality. I've had loads of trouble with Korean brands but with Samsung especially.

I'm hoping the Samsung and LG continue pushing for OLED. having seen them in person, they are the real deal.

Get a 75inch 4k OLED for 8k and I'm game all day along.

vivftp

I fully expect Sony at least to announce new OLED displays on the professional side. I was hopeful to see some consumer stuff, but I suppose that won't be anytime soon.

Sad that it's been 2 years since they showed off CLED tech and there hasn't really been a peep about it other than to tell us that it's very expnsive and will likley only be used in massive displays on the professional side. I really do hope they have more to show off than just new 4K TVs using the triluminos tech. I mean it's great tech and all but I might wanna buy a new TV in late 2014 and was hoping for a revolution in tech.

Not sure why so many were down on Samsung in this thread. I'd say their the second best TV manufacturer and maybe best by default now that Panasonic has exited the plasma game.

Not sure what kind of defective sets or crazy settings you guys have on your plasmas to see dithering at more than a few feet from the screen.

Sony has always been great but unfortunately their sets have been plagued by crazy clouding since they've transitioned to strictly LCD's.

Samsung is really the only game in town for me as long as they keep making plasma.

Beats me... I exchanged a few Panasonic plasmas before I switched to a Samsung. I wish I had made the jump sooner.

They both make great displays but Samsung has the best video processors in the business as far as I'm concerned. A blu ray or another quality feed will look the same on both but a Samsung can clean up a bad HD feed a lot better for other content.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"Why don't you do what you dream, Apple!"

"Apple, SAVE US!"

giphy.gif
Apple doesn't make display technology. They market it.

Fezan

They both make great displays but Samsung has the best video processors in the business as far as I'm concerned. A blu ray or another quality feed will look the same on both but a Samsung can clean up a bad HD feed a lot better for other content.

I think you may be wrong on this matter. Sony has one of the best Up scaling logarithm on their tv.Cant speak for high end tv but on low and medium end sony beat most other during my observations.

Also abandoning R & D may not effect Sony division too much. Most of sony panels are made by LG. They will do the same with OLED tv if ever need for it

I think you may be wrong on this matter. Sony has one of the best Up scaling logarithm on their tv.Cant speak for high end tv but on low and medium end sony beat most other during my observations.

Also abandoning R & D may not effect Sony division too much. Most of sony panels are made by LG. They will do the same with OLED tv if ever need for it

That's fair but Samsung is right up there with Sony and Sony LCD's have enough panel uniformity issues to keep me from a Sony TV. It's a shame because they used to be the gold standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom