• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY ANNOUNCED NEW PSP!!! (more changes than you thought)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoes

Klaxon said:
Time to open a new "WHAT PSP-GAMES ARE WORTH BUYING???"-thread.
seriously. first I thought it's just me but I realized that the quality of the games are damn low, unlike the DS for example. I liked Locoroc a LOT, and SF Alpha 3 because I'm a fan. but the others didn't impress me that much. well, what can I say :\

NomarTyme

Citizenship said:
the Dpad is the worst in the gaming history, if they didn't fix it then it's the same PSP to me.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/61...clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;1

The difference is really slight, but several GameSpot editors have noticed that the d-pad and buttons on the new PSP provide a little more tactile feedback for a better overall feel.

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/07/12/hands-on-with-the-new-psp/

The D-Pad and face buttons all have a little bit more resistance to them, making the tactile sensation of using the system that much better. Unfortunately, Koller explained that the analog nub is not improved, although we found that a brand-new system works better than our system from launch.

loosus

Banned
I wish we could get Super Mario Bros. to run on the new PSP. Playing Level 1-2 is like a litmus test for ghosting amounts.

max-pain

Japan:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20070717/sce.htm

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070717/scej1.htm

sce11.jpg

sce12.jpg

sce06.jpg

sce07.jpg

sce08.jpg

sce09.jpg

sce10.jpg

sce03.jpg

sce04.jpg

sce05.jpg

MadFuzzy

For those of you wondering what the "1 seg" box is for, it's a digital TV tuner based on a new Japanese standard. More info on the standard is here. I wonder if they will do local versions for Europe and the US, based on local standards like DVB-H.

Lionheart

The light blue one looks very very nice! :)

I don't think colours / details for the European launch of the new PSP have been announced yet right? Wondering what colours we'll get here.

max-pain

Lionheart said:
The light blue one looks very very nice! :)

I don't think colours / details for the European launch of the new PSP have been announced yet right? Wondering what colours we'll get here.

Maybe at the Leipzig Games Convention (aug. 20?).

wow, so they get 6 colors on 20th September (week after Crisis Core, although there will be a bundle with limited edition new psp). 19800Y is the standard price for old model (core) right?

They had 6 colors too for the old model but Champagne Gold and Electric Blue aren't returning it seems.

I guess Europe will get it at 169€ and Black/White colors (maybe Silver and/or Pink too?).

Javaman

Has there been any word on the GPS attachment? Am I correct in assuming that attachments work with both sizes of PSPs?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Javaman said:
Has there been any word on the GPS attachment? Am I correct in assuming that attachments work with both sizes of PSPs?

They should yes. I know for sure the Go!Cam works on both models.

marwan

Banned
i dunno if this has been mentioned before, but did anyone notice that the new PSP does not have the glossy look of the old one?(thank god! no more fingerprints) in some of those pics it looks like it has a matt finish......or are my eyes plays trick on me?

sce10.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Yet they didn't even touch the analog nub... Boggles the mind.

loosus

Banned
Is it possible for PSP to output a higher resolution via the video outputs if a game or XMB is designed to do so? Or, is the output simply a hardware output that physically "intercepts" the video signal going to the PSP's screen and simply outputs to the television instead?

marwan said:
i dunno if this has been mentioned before, but did anyone notice that the new PSP does not have the glossy look of the old one?(thank god! no more fingerprints) in some of those pics it looks like it has a matt finish......or are my eyes plays trick on me?

I think your right, it was mentioned in one of the 1Up Yours E3 special podcasts...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I like the white model, but I really don't want any pictures applied on it, even if it's Darth Vader. Does anyone think that picture will be removable somehow?

Brofist

DaCocoBrova said:
Yet they didn't even touch the analog nub... Boggles the mind.

All it takes is $5 and less than a minute of your time to replace the nub with one of your choosing. Of all the things to complain about, the easiest and cheapest part on the whole system to change.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Linkzg said:
and speakers moved to a better location

The speakers of the PSP were at the bottom, I don't know what the hell the "speakers" near the screen were for the old PSP.

If Sony has any sense then they will move the speakers from the bottom to a place that actually made sense.

Hcoregamer00 said:
The speakers of the PSP were at the bottom, I don't know what the hell the "speakers" near the screen were for the old PSP.

If Sony has any sense then they will move the speakers from the bottom to a place that actually made sense.

err, what?

old PSP speakers were on the bottom silver strip, there were 2, now they are between the face buttons/dpad and screen so your hands dont cover them up as seen in the pic above.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Linkzg said:
err, what?

old PSP speakers were on the bottom silver strip, there were 2, now they are between the face buttons/dpad and screen so your hands dont cover them up as seen in the pic above.

That is what I am saying, the PSP speakers were at the bottom of the PSP. The two holes for the PSP that were labeled "speakers" by the manual were not speakers (the two near the screen). Hopefully the two holes will actually be functioning speakers instead of keeping the
speakers at the bottom of the PSP.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That is what I am saying, the PSP speakers were at the bottom of the PSP. The two holes for the PSP that were labeled "speakers" by the manual were not speakers (the two near the screen). Hopefully the two holes will actually be functioning speakers instead of keeping the

are you talking abou the tiny holes that were around the top of the psp screen? yeah, those did nothing, but the new model is confirmed that the speakers are on the front with those two holes, not on the bottom at all anymore.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Hcoregamer00 said:

The bottom of the new PSP lite doesn't have any holes. It's fair to assume that the two by the screen are the actual speakers now.

psp-lite-12.jpg

Goldrusher

marwan said:

sce10.jpg

The press photos never had a glossy finish. No idea why, but they never did.

sony_psp.jpg

The new PSP definitely is glossy again, as you can see in the actual photos posted earlier.

Razoric

Banned
Citizenship said:
seriously. first I thought it's just me but I realized that the quality of the games are damn low, unlike the DS for example. I liked Locoroc a LOT, and SF Alpha 3 because I'm a fan. but the others didn't impress me that much. well, what can I say :\

What? :lol

There are a shitton of high quality PSP games.

Citizenship said:

It's just you, unless you only like non-games.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Goldrusher said:
The new PSP definitely is glossy again, as you can see in the actual photos posted earlier.

Not only that. The back of the system is glossy too now. Which is rather cool.

Draft

sonycowboy said:
So the reported changes are (?):

1) Better screen
2) Memory upgraded from 32MB -> 64MB ( http://0okm.blogspot.com/2007/07/some-interest-thing-in-psp-200x.html )
3) Slimmer (new slimmer battery)
4) Video out port
5) Colors / Star Wars model
6) WLAN switch moved to the top
7) Better D-Pad
Where are those improvements reported, and are there any more details? Outside of battery life, those are my biggest concerns with the re-design.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Draft said:
Where are those improvements reported, and are there any more details? Outside of battery life, those are my biggest concerns with the re-design.

I think I'm the only person in the world reporting about the better screen. So u gotta trust just me. :(

Hopefully I was right.

Draft

TTP said:
I think I'm the only person in the world reporting about the better screen. So u gotta trust just me. :(

Hopefully I was right.
Well no reason not to :lol

What about the d-pad? Apparently you had some hands on time with it...?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Draft said:
Well no reason not to :lol

What about the d-pad? Apparently you had some hands on time with it...?

D-pad, face buttons and analog all felt better. Analog disc was less slippy under the thumb. Couldn't actually figure out why they felt better but they did. :)

The face button I'm pretty sure are different in that they show some small indentations that I dont see on my old US model. Let me see if I can find a pic of that.

jjasper

Man I should have paid more attention to this thing, less ghosting, component out, better buttons and sound hmm after not caring at first I think this is the perfect time to replace my old busted but still working PSP.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jjasper said:
Man I should have paid more attention to this thing, less ghosting, component out, better buttons and sound hmm after not caring at first I think this is the perfect time to replace my old busted but still working PSP.

yep. But I think u might be underestimating the slimmer/lighter thing. It does feel much more comfortable now. Even if it didnt change it's shape at all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
Not only that. The back of the system is glossy too now. Which is rather cool.
I'm kinda worried that the glossy back won't feel as good while holding the unit. I mean the old plastic looked uglier but it provided a nice grip and wasn't slippery or more importantly sticky, that I think glossy surface would be after holding it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom