• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY ANNOUNCED NEW PSP!!! (more changes than you thought)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marconelly said:
I'm kinda worried that the glossy back won't feel as good while holding the unit. I mean the old plastic looked uglier but it provided a nice grip and wasn't slippery or more importantly sticky, that I think glossy surface would be after holding it for a while.

No worries. As I said, lighter = more comfortable to hold. Besides, the glossy surface actually offers more grip than the current one. Try passing your hand over the glossy PS3 and then on the back of the current PSP model. You'll see your fingers will almost "glue" over the PS3 surface. There is a reason the DS lite plastic is glossy too...

Edit: havent tested the system with sweating hands tho. The air conditioning, you know... :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DieH@rd said:
How is the new PSPS screen better? Better pixel response time [no more ghosting] ???

Not "no more" but "quite less".

The lack of reports other than mine about this aspect of the system are starting to worry me tho :lol

Damn should have done a video.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I do not think the extra 32 MB of RAM will be opened to developers fro a LOOOOOOOOOONG time if ever. Well, there are some areas used by the OS (or can be used by the OS when it needs to so that you cannot consider them as permanent storage that for example survives a System Sleep and Restart cycle) which could be moved in the extra 32 MB of RAM thus freeing up permanently blocks of RAM in the other 32 MB, but this would mean that software written for the newer PSP's would not be compatible with the older PSP's.

Likely uses beyond an automatic cache for UMD data accesses ?:

1.) extra RAM for the Web Browser -> dramatically reduced amount of errors due to the browser running out of memory.

2.) extra RAM for the XMB:

2.1) possible new functions which will be introduced only on the PSP-2xxx series and which will ease the transition to PSP2 when it gets released.

2.2) music playback while having picture slide-shows maybe.

2.3) XMB integration with games (introduction of PSN friends list and messages on both older and newer PSP's, but in-game XMB access only given to newer PSP's ?).

heavyness

sce10.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'M IN UR PSP EATIN YUR UMDS

jjasper

TTP said:
yep. But I think u might be underestimating the slimmer/lighter thing. It does feel much more comfortable now. Even if it didnt change it's shape at all.

Oh I am sure it does.

Also have there been said which colors are coming out here? I kinda like the metallic one.

marwan

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Yet they didn't even touch the analog nub... Boggles the mind.

i hope the new analog has more travel this time, on the old PSP it traveled very short distance.

I also hope the new PSP screen doesnt ghost like the old one, and has better speaker. the old PSP had such crappy speakers, everything sounds like it had too much trebble, don't hear bass at all(if you know what i mean)....heck the DS had a much better sounding speakers.

Pimpwerx

Damn. They really improved the screen? I'm suprised, and impressed. I thought it would have been a less-than-desireable option for them. I think the screens still cost like $30-40.

Looks like battery life is unchanged now that the battery is smaller. :( I was hoping for actual battery life savings, so they should have kept the form-factor the same for the battery. IMO, the area they slimmed the most (the edges) needed it the least. I always wanted handles like on the Dualshock. Making that area flat just seems like it would make games that use the L button heavily even more difficult to play. To be more specific, the L+nub combination is the killer for me. I can't hold the system for more than an hour with those buttons.

I'm actually much less interested in this now. PSP Classique forever. PEACE.

Pimpbaa

Linkzg said:
old PSP speakers were on the bottom silver strip, there were 2, now they are between the face buttons/dpad and screen so your hands dont cover them up as seen in the pic above.

WTF, first time I noticed those. What the hell are those other 2 holes near the bottom of the screen for?

madmook

Pimpbaa said:
WTF, first time I noticed those. What the hell are those other 2 holes near the bottom of the screen for?
Nothing, apparently.

Will this model release in the US at the same time as Japan?

spwolf

madmook said:
Nothing, apparently.

Will this model release in the US at the same time as Japan?

seems so....

also you will be able to get extra battery that will double the PSP battery life... me likes.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Panajev2001a said:
I do not think the extra 32 MB of RAM will be opened to developers fro a LOOOOOOOOOONG time if ever. Well, there are some areas used by the OS (or can be used by the OS when it needs to so that you cannot consider them as permanent storage that for example survives a System Sleep and Restart cycle) which could be moved in the extra 32 MB of RAM thus freeing up permanently blocks of RAM in the other 32 MB, but this would mean that software written for the newer PSP's would not be compatible with the older PSP's.

Likely uses beyond an automatic cache for UMD data accesses ?:

1.) extra RAM for the Web Browser -> dramatically reduced amount of errors due to the browser running out of memory.

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if they update the Netfront browser in the newer PSP, with the extra RAM and the unlocked clockspeed.

That'll mean Flash 7 support. Flash 7 support = Flash video streaming.

Does Youtube require Flash 7 or 8?

Cheerilee

TTP said:
D-pad, face buttons and analog all felt better. Analog disc was less slippy under the thumb. Couldn't actually figure out why they felt better but they did. :)

The face button I'm pretty sure are different in that they show some small indentations that I dont see on my old US model. Let me see if I can find a pic of that.
Kutaragi said:
There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake. I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong.

54do2s6.jpg

66957yp.gif

Flo_Evans

Thinking about remote play and PSP TV out: why the hell can't the PS3 just display whats on the PSP screen without a re-design.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Flo_Evans said:
Thinking about remote play and PSP TV out: why the hell can't the PS3 just display whats on the PSP screen without a re-design.

Because the old PSP doesnt have a built-in video output chipset?

bengraven said:
Yes or no?

Loading is faster.

Loading is faster in older games pre-PSPP.

Loading faster in older games = no*
Loading faster in upcoming games = yes, if they are developed to take advantage of those extra 32MB.

*Sony didn't say the UMD drive is faster than the current one. But it might be. They didn't say anything about the LCD either, which looks better than the old one to me. So, wait and see I guess.

snahfu

Banned
Lau said:
http://www.insidegamer.nl/hardware/playstationportable/nieuws/16349

Features:

Acces and share your media all around the world
It's lighter
It's faster
Less loading times
You can stream video live to your TV

The PSP is called PSP P and will launch in Ice Silver and Black. It will launch with a bundle with Daxter and is priced for 199,99 dollar.

Sure looks hot!

Sony's got this really awesome new business model of creating overpriced hardware and then having a fantastically barren library of games.

It's completely revolutionary and flies in the face of common sense but I wish them the best of luck.

Clearly they have one exec there that loves the old addage, "That sounds so crazy...it just might work!"

Sharp

snahfu said:
Sony's got this really awesome new business model of creating overpriced hardware and then having a fantastically barren library of games.

It's completely revolutionary and flies in the face of common sense but I wish them the best of luck.

Clearly they have one exec there that loves the old addage, "That sounds so crazy...it just might work!"
Whoa is it 2005 already?

Durante

snahfu said:

You will last long here.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Flo_Evans said:

THANK YOU, I've been saying that for months. The could have a PSP emulator easily for the PS3, and I could finally watch my UMD movies without rebuying another PSP (or they just want to have new sales basically).

Pimpbaa

snahfu said:

I don't see how this applies to the PSP.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TTP said:
Loading faster in older games = no*
Loading faster in upcoming games = yes, if they are developed to take advantage of those extra 32MB.
Did you get that from any official source? Because to my knowledge there's no such thing as "taking advantage of 32MB" (and probably never will be).
The supposed usage for auto-caching should affect All games.

The other part is the reality - 32MB of disc-cache will give you marginal improvements at best, and often not even that. I want it to be used for something actually useful - ie. XMB switching / integration.

If they want to support disc caching, do it like everyone else, through writeable storage media, where it'll actually have a chance to offer real improvements. And add virtual-memory to the damn web-browser while at it.

Avalon said:
Are there any decent comparison shots? I really want to see the old and new model side by side.

newpsp_screen001.jpg

0005.jpg

AgentOtaku said:
sorry to be a nuisance....anyone have a link of a good, close-up of the Daxter Silver PSPslim???

I wonder about the silver too, it looks great in this pic:

312.jpg

Meh in this one:

pspffoe4.jpg

And atrocious in this one:

pspslim_leadin.jpg

The finish on the faceplates looks really cheap, comparable to those 3rd party replacements that were kicking around for the PSP. Plus the clear buttons look like crap.

Tobor

Yeah that silver is godawful. It looks like bad hooker fingernail polish or a cheap throwaway Korean mp3 player.

Black still looks good at least.

i like how the slimmer unit looks less precious. i feel like when i remove my psp from its case, i am unsheathing a sacred ornament or something. i think "cheapening" the sysetm -- maybe that's not the best word -- making the unit sturdier will also promote people to play psp in public a bit more. it's all eyes on you when playing psp on the subway. you finna get a punch in the head and your unit gripped up.

Marconelly said:
I'm kinda worried that the glossy back won't feel as good while holding the unit. I mean the old plastic looked uglier but it provided a nice grip and wasn't slippery or more importantly sticky, that I think glossy surface would be after holding it for a while.

It's not a problem at all with the DSL Lite.

klee123

Got my friend in Japan to get the FFVII CC LE PSP for me. Sure beats the hell out of being a$$ raped by play-asia's inflated prices.

klee123 said:
Got my friend in Japan to get the FFVII CC LE PSP for me. Sure beats the hell out of being a$$ raped by play-asia's inflated prices.

what is the retail price for ffvii cc le psp in japan?? (us dollar).

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I wasn't going to get one. Wasn't even thinking about it. But the better d-pad, screen, more memory, and video out function have me wanting it now. All the small things add up. I'll probably get one, if not at launch, before x-mas.

In white (import) or black for me.

Kosma

Banned
Wooohoo I just sold my fatty for a great price (thanks to PSP's being sold out here for weeks now) so I can get the new one when it hits :D

Pimpbaa

Fafalada said:
The other part is the reality - 32MB of disc-cache will give you marginal improvements at best, and often not even that. I want it to be used for something actually useful - ie. XMB switching / integration.

The 16MB of disc cache (also used for sound data) sure did help the Gamecube, even though technically it's disc drive was the slowest of last gen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Fafalada said:
Did you get that from any official source? Because to my knowledge there's no such thing as "taking advantage of 32MB" (and probably never will be).

I was kinda interpreting the press release, which never mentions the doubled RAM but states that the "new PSP is equipped with enhanced feature to temporarily store game data from UMD, reducing load time during game play (*)". The note adds: "Effect of this feature varies depending on software titles".

So I guess the "enhanced feature" is the extra 32MBs, and that not all "software titles" will take advantage of it.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
replicashooter said:
I wonder about the silver too, it looks great in this pic:

312.jpg

Meh in this one:

pspffoe4.jpg

And atrocious in this one:

pspslim_leadin.jpg

:( Now I'm really torn.

I'd be all over the silver one if it looked consistently like the top pic... a sort of gunmetal gray color. But the other shots make it looks so crap. Chintzy, like korean electronics.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pimpbaa said:
The 16MB of disc cache (also used for sound data) sure did help the Gamecube
There was nothing automatic about that though (and having least memory to fill helped as well).
And this really should work automatically for it to be a feature of new model -
Give people more user-memory to work with and you'll end up with split userbase and no faster loads. Restrict the extra memory usage for load-cache only, and almost noone will bother with it.

It'd help to have some numbers about performance of the new memory. If Sony's only purpose was disc caching the new memory might be slow like GCs sound ram too (though I would still find that very bizarre, especially in a handheld).

TTP said:
"Effect of this feature varies depending on software titles".
Those two statements to me read to me as "it's a cache, any UMD will go through it, and effects will obviously vary because different load-schemes are dime a dozen. Titles that load large chunks of data (in fairly optimized manner) will benefit little or nothing. Titles with shitty load schemes and/or lots of tiny data chunks should see a noticeable gain."

I am still holding out hope that they might use some Flash for this(as with old PSP, PR never specified the real amount of internal flash) and keep ram for more useful things.

Pimpbaa said:
The 16MB of disc cache (also used for sound data) sure did help the Gamecube, even though technically it's disc drive was the slowest of last gen.
That would be developers using it in the best way for good effect, whereas Fafalada believes the extra PSP RAM use will be entirely automatic. So no intelligent caching of specific data.
TTP said:
I was kinda interpreting the press release, which never mentions the doubled RAM but states that the "new PSP is equipped with enhanced feature to temporarily store game data from UMD, reducing load time during game play (*)". The note adds: "Effect of this feature varies depending on software titles".

So I guess the "enhanced feature" is the extra 32MBs, and that not all "software titles" will take advantage of it.
It could also be interpreted like PS2's faster loading of PS1. The effect varied from game to game, just due to how loading was handled in the first place.

Mmmkay

Fafalada said:

If they want to support disc caching, do it like everyone else, through writeable storage media, where it'll actually have a chance to offer real improvements. And add virtual-memory to the damn web-browser while at it.
By no means a credible source, but Tretton touched upon the memory usage in his interview with Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/kotakutalku/jack-tretton-on-psp-update-278503.php
"We increased the internal memory from 32... uh err what is it? megabits [sic] to 64, yeah. And err from what I understand that makes it conceivable for the development community to reduce the er load times. Erm but there is no, there is no game that I can point to that is an effective say in September 'this game will have reduced lead [sic] times' . So that technical capability is there but there are no practical applications of that yet, but I do think that will be an end result over time from what I'm told."

Pimpwerx

I really hope the new LCD is pin-compatible with the one in the old machine. I would really like the option to swap out the screen and not have to upgrade. The video-out I can honestly live without. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom