• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Announces 2008 / Early 2009 PS3/PSP Line-up

SpokkX

Ouch. Imo the lineup for 2008 from Sony really is awful :(

The only ones for me will be

PixelJunk(TM) Eden — PSN (Available Summer 2008 / Not Yet Rated)
LittleBigPlanet(TM) — PS3 (Available October 2008 / Not yet Rated)

Possibly Resistance 2, but since I didn´t like the first game it is doubtful

Raist

Banned
Guymelef said:
Insomniac and Media Molecule says hi.

Games published by Sony, not first party only.

yeah, I know, they're not officially first party, as in not owned by Sony, but they do fund them and they develop titles for playstation consoles only. It's not the case for Level 5.

Sandman7

Raist said:
SOCOM isn't a PSN title anymore ?

edit : since when Level 5 is a first party studio ?

I see Resistance there so I would have assumed WKS would be there as well if it was coming out in 2008.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I can't believe how shoddily they're handling the PSP, after Clank it's nothing but PS2 hand-me-downs.

Stocka

Fantastic, I don't have to buy myself a PS3 till sometime in 09. None of those games I plan to buy, except perhaps Little Big Planet. The system sellers for me are going to be FFXIII/White Knight Chronicles/Team ICO project.

I'm also thinking the 360 fall lineup is looking a lot stronger than that of the PS3, I can see Gears 2 kicking Resistance 2's ass.

Jonnyram

So why is Siren episodic in the West when it is one single BD in Japan?
And more importantly, how did Wollan know about this weeks ago?

As for the line-up, I'll be picking up LBP, Wipeout HD and PJ Eden, I reckon. Not much else floats my boat for now.

dionysus

Yaldog
Welp, that about wraps it up for me and my Sony loyalty. Whatever console delivers the best rpgs has my loyalty, and Sony just doesn't care anymore about appealing to an audience that enjoys traditionally japanese genres. Waiting 3+ years for any first party rpgs is sickening.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
since when Level 5 is a first party studio

30 years in the game and still people want to argue when a publisher announces their first-party line up for the year. Anything published by the hardware maker is a first-party game. Doesn't matter if it was developed by some Bangladeshian monks or Vikings in a third world country.

Semantically you can argue what is a first-party studio. But a first-party game is clear cut.

RpgN

Jonnyram said:

Probably less risk in losing money. A game like siren has little audience in America. Might as well put it on psn for hardcore gamers.

I'm liking the way sony is handling few of its psn games. Psn store is shaping to be more than worthy.

As for the line-up, it is decent but not the full list probably. A few Japanese games like rpgs would have been better.

Jonnyram

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Semantically you can argue what is a first-party studio. But a first-party game is clear cut.
Man, I remember when people used to argue about second party on gamefaqs. That was some messed up shit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jonnyram said:

I thought some mag said it was episodic.

It was also on a SCEE PSN list a while back. The fact that it's on a disc in Japan is actually news to me.

jarrod

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Do they have any other first/second party developer (beside Level-5) specialized in RPG making? That's the issue.
Japan Studio has an okay pedigree (Popolocrois series, Legend of Dragoon, Legalia series, Alundra 2, Wild Arms 2)... but they haven't really been active in RPG making for a sold half decade now. :/

Also, Level-5's a full fledged 3rd party developer, with no real contract obligations to Sony.

I'm still hoping that Motorstorm gets a patch for single-player load times/multiplayer splitscreen/custom soundtracks at some point. MS2 is going to be amazing just for the new gameplay dynamics and the new tracks, but it'd still be nice to be able to return to the first game and have it feel like a complete game.

Raist

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
30 years in the game and still people want to argue when a publisher announces their first-party line up for the year. Anything published by the hardware maker is a first-party game. Doesn't matter if it was developed by some Bangladeshian monks or Vikings in a third world country.

Look, I don't want to argue the fact that a title published by the manufacturer is first party or not, I was just saying that to me, this list looked like a first party studios one.

Yeah I know, insomniac is independant blablabla, but they look more like a 1st party studio than anything else. Because they only make PS games. And Sony often mentions them, or you often see people like Ted Price making speeches in Sony-only events. Something you don't see at all with studios like Level 5, even if they developped a lot of games for PS consoles.

Gowans

Looking forward to

Metal Gear Solid 4
Wipeout HD
LittleBigPlanet
Buzz! TV
Pixel Junk Eden

and maybe Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 (will probably get after being battered by GAF Hype)

but is this it? anything extra at E3? I really dont play my PS3 enough.

dionysus said:
Welp, that about wraps it up for me and my Sony loyalty. Whatever console delivers the best rpgs has my loyalty, and Sony just doesn't care anymore about appealing to an audience that enjoys traditionally japanese genres. Waiting 3+ years for any first party rpgs is sickening.

While Sony has published quite a few rpg's, majority of them have always come from third-parties.

People people!

Buzz PS3 community features: upload and share quizes

We can make a custom NeoGAF Buzz Game or whatever we want.

You a student? You can make a quiz game about class homework and share it with the community so all your chemistry friends can share.

Language studies? Also possible. I hope they can do Asian characters.

Classic Video Game Quiz Game
Bald Space Marine Quiz Game
Etc.

"Mybuzzquiz.com will provide a global community for players to create and share their own quizzes online and make available to download on PS3."

anddo0

For me:

Secret Agent Clank
WipEout HD
PixelJunk Eden
LittleBigPlanet
MotorStorm Pacific Rift
Resistance 2
Killzone 2

Not too bad at all, hopefully more at E3?

Too bad Infamous is 09 :(

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM, WipEout HD AND Resistance 2 in the next 6 months.

I am happy.

Not counting MGS4 since it is understood.

FrankT

I probably will not buy any of those this year. I’ll pick up MGS4, yea I know this is Sony first titles parties only, maybe Resistance next year as well. We're supposed to get some R2 shots today right? Any other media?

jjasper

UntoldDreams said:
"Mybuzzquiz.com will provide a global community for players to create and share their own quizzes online and make available to download on PS3."

Yeah this is why I am excited about the game.

bryehn

Sony...Your NBA games both suck and blow...stop making them.

Some good stuff on there though, but I really wanna see inFamous and PixelJunk Dungeons.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
dsmoke1986 said:
Is the PSP a dead console?? I'm thinking of buying the God of War pack, but there seems to be withering support for it.
Sales-wise, not at all. It outsold both PS2 and PS3 here last month, and it's probably been doing so even more consistently in Japan.

But you sure as hell wouldn't know it by the way publishers, Sony especially, are acting towards publishing games on it. It's almost like they're trying to starve it to death.

anddo0

Kowak said:
Resistance2
Motorstorn2
Killzone2
LBP.

All buys. Hopefully NBA 09 is decent.

Hopefully, they've made some strides but its still not there,
At least "The Life" is in the PS3 version this year, should be interesting.

kswiston

Shig said:
Sales-wise, not at all. It outsold both PS2 and PS3 here last month, and it's probably been doing so even more consistently in Japan.

But you sure as hell wouldn't know it by the way publishers, Sony especially, are acting towards publishing games on it. It's almost like they're trying to starve it to death.

PSP has outsold everything in Japan so far this year (and has been the best selling system each week for at least the past 6 weeks). However, aside from the awesome sales of Monster Hunter Portable 2G, you wouldn't know that from looking at the Weekly top 30/50 lists.

jjasper

Shig said:

The PSP is outselling everything (including the Wii) in Japan right now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Amazing line-up from Sony.

Secret Agent Clank
Wipeout HD
Pixeljunk Eden
LittleBigPlanet
Motorstorm: PR
Resistance 2
Killzone 2

<3 <3 <3

ram

SpokkX said:
Ouch. Imo the lineup for 2008 from Sony really is awful :(

The only ones for me will be

PixelJunk(TM) Eden — PSN (Available Summer 2008 / Not Yet Rated)
LittleBigPlanet(TM) — PS3 (Available October 2008 / Not yet Rated)

Possibly Resistance 2, but since I didn´t like the first game it is doubtful

awful? gawd - sometimes gaf is really in for big laughts. motorstorm 2, resistance 2, pixeljunk eden, socom & wipeout and little big planet are more than enough decent games. ~_~

Top Bottom