• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Shenmue

Banned
Woah PS4 console exclusive too? I thought it was just gonna be first on ps4 according to the earlier translation?

Gigaton.

Boom.

Holy shit not even saving an announcement like that for E3, even if it were just a screen with a title and trotting out Kojima.

I wonder if this was supposed to be a PSX announcement, but due to legal stuff, it couldn't be done. Imagine if the show ended with this announcement.

Someone did link that podcast that claimed this. Playstation Nation was it?

Console exclusive, so I should be looking forward to the PC release?

No, you should wait until a PC version is announced. The term merely implies that a PC version is possible, not that it's guaranteed. While it's certainly probable, there's really no point in getting your hopes up until a PC version is announced—if that is indeed the case.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The abundance of so-called "console exclusive" games (games that are released on only one console plus PC) could be due to three possible reasons: data that shows that there isn't much overlap between console and PC gamers, console makers not perceiving the PC as a threat , or the PC's resurgence making it too expensive to lock down a game as a total exclusive. Maybe a combination of the three?

I think it's all three. Playstation and PC seems to be the most profitable and safe release plan for games right now since porting between the two is easy and they both have large, active bases. It definitely makes it easier for Sony to keep something off competitor consoles by allowing it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Probably sooner, studios that receive technical help from Sony have a pretty good turnaround time, for the most part.

A bit disappointed he didn't call the new company Outer Heaven.

Outer Heaven does not account for his deep love of his own name though.

Is there any reason why his new game, or as they refer to it, "new franchise", wouldn't be the natural evolution of P.T.?

also, I'm assuming Sony is putting down big bucks for this arrangement, wouldn't expect anything else with Kojima.

dolabla

Knew it was gonna eventually happen, but man, Kojima wasted no time in this announcement, lol. I hope he and Del Toro get to make that horror'ish type game now.

AmyS

PZUhgAF.jpg

i see a microscope, a globe holding apparatus, and a knight's or spartan's helmet. With a homo sapien(maybe?) skull encased inside. Pretty cool.

WARDEVIL lives ?

wXDugJk.jpg

t52foEV.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's messy, but I think this might mean that they're using Unreal Engine 4 for their next game:

8ey7PXw.png

While I think they will use Unreal Engine 4, basically what the job post says is that they want their game designers to have experience scripting gameplay logic with a modern engine workflow (like the ones in Unreal and Unity).

What I learned here is to always believe in Mark Cerny

Mark Cerny is the lead architect of the PS4 - leads to the second coming of the PS2
Mark Cerny meets with Yu Suzuki - We get Shenmue 3
Mark Cerny meets with Kojima - Now he is partnering with PlayStation

Now somebody tell Sony to send Cerny to meet with Activision so he can save Crash Bandicoot and than send him to Valve to meet with Gabe and give everyone Half Life 3.

All hail Mark Cerny
2369849-7781086849-ibqYp.gif

Not sure if you know this, but Cerny produced the PS1 Crash Games when he worked at Universal Interactive Studios. He's worked exclusively with (but not part of) Sony ever since Universal ended their contract with Naughty Dog and Insomniac.

barit

Great catch for Sony

Let's hope it will be a complete new IP from Kojima. Time to show the world again why he is the greatest producer/developer in the video game industry

Wonder if he will comment on leaving his FOX engine behind. If his studio ends up using unreal engine 4, that speaks a lot about the versatility of that engine.

televator

Damn, he's got that escaped POW look. Like the vacation Konami gave him was actually just an offshore black site where they tortured him for a while.

I'm not his biggest fan as of late, but no one deserves the shit Konami doled out to him. Good to see he's got something lucrative to get him started on his independent venture.

harSon

Banned
Awesome! Glad he landed on his feet. Hopefully he's not a broken vessel of a man like Itagaki :p

I'm kind of hoping this next title is a HUGE departure from Metal Gear Solid, as far as genre and story are concerned. I don't want a spiritual successor to Metal Gear Solid. I'll take a spiritual successor to Snatcher though :D

Soriku

Sorry guys, but I hope it's not a horror game.

Exciting stuff, but then it sinks in that this is probably 3+ years away.

Ah well, looking forward to the CG trailer at E3 2017.

With the talk of franchises I'm expecting something more mainstream than horror.

Nonetheless I really hope they work on a Silent Hills revival too.

It's messy, but I think this might mean that they're using Unreal Engine 4 for their next game #RIPFOXEngine:

8ey7PXw.png

Said it on the previous page, but I'll repeat: don't read too much into it. The reason they're asking for experience with either Unreal or Unity is because they want a designer who has experience using a robust editor suite and possibly mild programming experience in a scripting language.

They obviously aren't planning to build the game simultaneously in both Unreal and Unity.

CuNi

Wow Microsoft. I thought you would atleast once score a nice production studio.. And yet you don't stop to amaze me with ignorance.

Boom.

Holy shit not even saving an announcement like that for E3, even if it were just a screen with a title and trotting out Kojima.

Someone did link that podcast that claimed this. Playstation Nation was it?

Yeah, it was PSNation. I wasn't sure if they were saying it was supposed to be a part of PSX or if someone told them that this news would be happening.

So Sony currently has Yu Suzuki, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, and Hideo Kojima working on new PS4 games.

What a time to be alive.

This is the real ace up Sony's sleeve this gen: bringing legendary Japanese Devs back to life and promoting modernized Japanese gaming in general. The abandoning of support for Japanese games in gen 7 in favor of "western style" games was a huge mistake that the core gaming market took note of. I am just glad that they learned from their mistakes.

Grief.exe

Woah PS4 console exclusive too? I thought it was just gonna be first on ps4 according to the earlier translation?

Gigaton.

Reading in between the lines

First on PS4: play first on PS4, other platforms come later.
PS4 console exclusive, likely PS4/PC as this rules out XBO, can launch simultaneously.

sjay1994

Doesn't SF5 contradict that?

Sony provided funding for console exclusivity.

Well, it was more of a "we'll give you money to develop the game" and not timed exclusivity when it comes to street fighter.

I don't think SFV is ever coming to Xbox One.

Top Bottom