• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Playstation Classic Console

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I ended up canceling mine. The three people I know in real life that ordered it ended up doing so after the games list came out.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I ended up canceling mine. The three people I know in real life that ordered it ended up doing so after the games list came out.
Bet you gonna feel salty af when it gets hacked and you can load any game you want hoh?

hecatomb

Banned
game list is so bad. How can you not have castlevania symphony of the night or silent hill. And only the Japanese ver has parasite eve.

Playstation Crapstic. Even the controller is inadequate, no dual shock sticks messes up the prospect for so many games.

It was nigh impossible to fuck up, and they fucked up hard.

Bet you gonna feel salty af when it gets hacked and you can load any game you want hoh?

He can do that on his PC right now with better controls, can even use a genuine ps3 or ps4 controller.

Last edited:

Spukc

Playstation Crapstic. Even the controller is inadequate, no dual shock sticks messes up the prospect for so many games.

It was nigh impossible to fuck up, and they fucked up hard.

He can do that on his PC right now with better controls, can even use a genuine ps3 or ps4 controller.
Nope not the same.
I have a pc pi handheld heck psone all of it.
But i still think its more fun on the mini

With a PS4 controller and Hylian CRT filter epsxe is closer to a PS1 on my 4k tv than the mini. I have an actual PS1 hooked up via composite too and it's nicer than that too due to the sharper image + crt filter. I can also get very low latency when using my Pc monitor. PS1 on a good crt is ideal, but ain't nobody got space for fat ass CRT's anymore.

Last edited:

Spukc

With a PS4 controller and Hylian CRT filter epsxe is closer to a PS1 on my 4k tv than the mini. I have an actual PS1 hooked up via composite too and it's nicer than that too due to the sharper image + crt filter. I can also get very low latency when using my Pc monitor. PS1 on a good crt is ideal, but ain't nobody got space for fat ass CRT's anymore.
I use my psone with a frame meister. Rgb scart on my 4k oled.

But im still getting this one. Way more fun then a boring pc emulator

...it IS a PC emulator. Just a teeny weeny little PC in a cute little case. It's more rewarding when you do it youself. I'm going to use my ps1 case as a shell for a micro pc/emulation build. Will even keep the cd drive functionality so I can emulate my old games directly.

Last edited:
If I has a stadium I wouldn't have room for a CRT. The smell of Ozone, blown capacitors, magnetic interference and electron gun buzz can go back to the past where they belong. CRT tech is kill. But let's not dismiss it entirely, it gave us electron microscopes after all. For that I shall be forever grateful.

rdn_506242c58f706.jpg

Last edited:

Spukc

...it IS a PC emulator. Just a teeny weeny little PC in a cute little case. It's more rewarding when you do it youself. I'm going to use my ps1 case as a shell for a micro pc/emulation build. Will even keep the cd drive functionality so I can emulate my old games directly.
Not the same.
Mini is made by sony marketed etc. And looks like a ps1

Dont be one of those guys.
That goes im barging screaming BUY A PI 3 ITS BETTER at every damn nes snes mini classic thread

Mini is made by some random Chinese factory, with outsourced design schematics by Sony.

It's a nostalgia piece, and let me tell you, making your own is FAR more gratifying.

Grinchy

Banned
Make a thread here when you do. That would be cool to see!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
If I has a stadium I wouldn't have room for a CRT. The smell of Ozone, blown capacitors, magnetic interference and electron gun buzz can go back to the past where they belong. CRT tech is kill. But let's not dismiss it entirely, it gave us electron microscopes after all. For that I shall be forever grateful.

rdn_506242c58f706.jpg

Are you old enough to remember getting too close to a CRT and getting that static buzz on your face? Turning them on and hearing that “THUNK, shhhhhhhh......”? Staring at the snowy fuzz for waaaay too long? Dropping them on your finger? Warm and cozy memories.

CRTs are the shit.

Make a thread here when you do. That would be cool to see!

Yes. Will do. Will probably make a video. I have a 3D printer might as well go balls deep.

Are you old enough to remember getting too close to a CRT and getting that static buzz on your face? Turning them on and hearing that “THUNK, shhhhhhhh......”? Staring at the snowy fuzz for waaaay too long? Dropping them on your finger? Warm and cozy memories.

CRTs are the shit.

I had the uncanny ability to sense when a CRT display was turned on anywhere in the house. There was a very subtle whine/ringing in my ears that went away when the old 80's and 90's tv's were turned off.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was super excited for this until I realized I have what I want with the digital and physical copies. I wouldn't have rather had the Japanese version. Even then I own those game already too. I cancelled my Amazon pre-order. I can't say I'm impressed by this. Maybe the PS2 Classic will be good. They could at least incorporate the community's opinion next time. I like my digital PS1 and PS2 library. There are plenty of digital PS1 and PS2 games that could have been available on PS4. I own a handful of digital PS2 games on PS3 and Sony has very specific ideas in terms of what is a PS2 Classic on PS4.

Their catalogue of digital PS1 games puts this to shame. I just recently bought another digital entry into Arc the Lad for my Vita/PS3. Japan got that series with their mini. Oh well, they'll get my money on other products, just not this one.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I ended up cancelling my preorder, I have a fully working PSX/PS2/ PS3 and PSV
And my TV has a Emulator
I don't need another machine that only plays PSX titles, especially when it's limited to 20 strict titles.
What I need is not to have to plug/unplug multiple machines to play the PlayStation library and a little enhancement to those titles that need it.

odhin

That's a nice commercial though.
Still disappointed with the list, but probably buying it when it releases.

Looking at this thread it seems that I'm not the only one who cancelled their order.
This probably means that the prices will drop quickly if Sony based their sales estimates on the success of the Nintendo classics.
I might get one later if prices are around 50-60.
The list of games is really a missed opportunity to do the longtime sony customers a favor.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

CRTs are the shit.
My son is still an infant and is old enough to collect these memories. If he ever gains interest in my video game consoles, that is.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Android TV + android emulator like ePSXe from Google Play.

Performance and compatibility can't compete with PC + RetroArch, but you can do that.
Wow. I wasn’t aware of that. What kind of controller can you use? Are USB controllers compatible with Android TVs? (My tv’s really old and not very smart, but I love it. Hence why I am unaware about this).

TLZ

Banned
I had the uncanny ability to sense when a CRT display was turned on anywhere in the house. There was a very subtle whine/ringing in my ears that went away when the old 80's and 90's tv's were turned off.
Wtf?? I had that exact same too. I swear I could even feel it further away from our house, while I'm out on the street, I'd hear or feel like the TV turned on. I can't describe it perfectly, but it felt like static? Or a similar sound to laser guns shooting from movies (pew pew).

When I told my friend about it once he thought I was crazy. To this day I thought I was alone in this. This is cool to know someone else had the same experience!

JORMBO

Darkness no more

My friends won’t care about that. They are very casual and don’t mess around with that stuff. They have the Nintendo Minis and none of them have hacked their stuff.

If the hacking part ends up being decent I might grab one later. I have a PS3 and a lot of PS1 classics on it already, plus I still own a lot of PS1 discs I can already throw in the PS3. I’m not sure if it is hackable if I would even find that interesting enough.

Mattyp

Gold Member
This still really makes no sense to me, you could pick up a genuine mini PS2 and the real games cheaper if you don't already own them already. Its AV but even the newest TV's still support the format, and this offers no visual improvements.

The SNES and NES I understand some what but this...

Last edited:

Shotpun

Wow. I wasn’t aware of that. What kind of controller can you use? Are USB controllers compatible with Android TVs? (My tv’s really old and not very smart, but I love it. Hence why I am unaware about this).

I can't speak from first hand experience, but USB controllers should work. Maybe even bluetooth controllers? You can use controllers with smartphones so TVs shouldn't be a problem, but they might have some quirks.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Dualshock 4 works fine and you can get a decent enhancement on PSX games, it's trial and error with that tho.

BlackTron

Wtf?? I had that exact same too. I swear I could even feel it further away from our house, while I'm out on the street, I'd hear or feel like the TV turned on. I can't describe it perfectly, but it felt like static? Or a similar sound to laser guns shooting from movies (pew pew).

When I told my friend about it once he thought I was crazy. To this day I thought I was alone in this. This is cool to know someone else had the same experience!

I also had this special ability and my entire family thought I was bonkers. I would say when a TV was turned on/off in another room or floor and I'd get treated like a Jedi or magician.

Kagero

I don't mind the list. I can play any game on my PC. I'm getting it because it's going to look dope AF on my console. Who is honestly buying this to play old low res games anyway? Silly people.

TLZ

Banned
Hey! I can sense that too! Can I join the X-Men now?

Wolverine: "Professor, I have brought a few new kids with exquisite potential"

Professor: "What can they do?"

Wolverine: "They can sense when a TV switches on"

Professor: "................................."

*Blinks twice*

Professor: "What?"

Wolverine: "Remember how I told you about Magneto's favorite show being Keeping up with the Kardashians, and how disconnected to the world he is while watching? That's the only time he switches his TV on. Perfect time for a surprise attack ;)"

Professor: "Ahh... yes... You're a genius *sneaky smile*. Let them in!"

*We high fiving each other*

-------------
Sorry for the off topic everyone.

Sargon

Does anyone know what will be required to use as a controller extension cable? Is it just a standard USB cable?

They included PAL versions of some games like Tekken 3 in the PS1 Classic WTF.
For the US PS1 Classic they included 9 games that are the European PAL version that runs at 50hz instead of NTSC that runs at 60hz...

TLZ

Banned

For the US PS1 Classic they included 9 games that are the European PAL version that runs at 50hz instead of NTSC that runs at 60hz...

They're after the version with the most languages I guess, and releasing that one version worldwide, apart from Japan.

Personally I don't care, as I know I'll be replacing them with my own after hacking it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

LOL.

I remember Neo Geo X being a shoddy product with a lousy emulator, and some mediocre quality of games.

The PS Classic reminds of it. A quick cash-in where some engineers threw stuff together and didn't check to see how well it works, or in the case of PAL vs NTSC didn't even set the regional differences correctly.

Fox Mulder

Everything about this has been so lazy and shitty that I honestly wonder if Sony even made it. PAL games can fuck right off.

You could tell Nintendo actually cared about their classics. They also did that at a time when the AtGames shit was the standard.

FranXico

Yep, I am definitely not buying this. Better off plugging a Raspberry Pi into my TV. SNES, Megadrive, arcade and PS1 all in one place.

Put some fucking effort into it next time, Sony.

KiteGr

Some times the PAL versions have fixes that the NTSC don't.
FF7 for example had better translation, Spiro the Dragon had some bullshit gems move to a better location and a stage music added that wasn't ready for the US release, Medievil had the red pointless arrows on the stage select screen removed, ect....

Top Bottom