• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces Playstation Classic Console

TLZ

Banned
Haha seems to be that way, I post in there every time I come across deals. Calling all Canadian's if you see this shit go up for pre-order post it in the CanadaGAF thread if you haven't seen me post in there.
Not even EB? I've just pre-ordered from our Australian EB. Weird.

Pallas

FF11 is still the worst FF game, FF9 is pretty lame forcing people to play a stupid card game though.

I enjoyed the card game and the one from FFVIII, I honestly wish they would bring these back to newer games. I wouldn’t call FFXI awful, worst FF game by far would probably have to be either FF:MQ or FFXIII(not saying either are terrible but yeah) in my honest opinion.

But back to the topic, anyone know what all the included games are?

hecatomb

Banned
Theres no list yet, but if they are going to put games from psn on there, its most likely going to have parasite eve, RE1, and silent hill have a good chance.

Last edited:

Rodolink

I dont understand people wanting to get these consoles to modify them and load more games, whats the point if you can just build your own, I mean the only "plus" I see is using the case.

Rodolink

I enjoyed the card game and the one from FFVIII, I honestly wish they would bring these back to newer games. I wouldn’t call FFXI awful, worst FF game by far would probably have to be either FF:MQ or FFXIII(not saying either are terrible but yeah) in my honest opinion.

But back to the topic, anyone know what all the included games are?

I hope during the TGS will be revealed.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I dont understand people wanting to get these consoles to modify them and load more games, whats the point if you can just build your own, I mean the only "plus" I see is using the case.

Its just a cute novelty man, fueled by nostalgia. Playing ps1 games on an actual ps1 mini would have sentimental value. People play on their nes and snes classics instead of a raspberry pi for that reason.

Also $100 is not a lot of money for some of us. These days that's like one game plus all the dlc seasons and crap.

Or even just do it on PC for free, with uprezzed graphics and a huge amount of customisability.

You can even use original PlayStation CDs with modern emulators, if you're concerned about the legality of ROMs.

Otherwise you're just spending money on an oversized box. The parts inside it probably aren't worth even half the cost.

Last edited:

GenericUser

As far as my experience goes, Playstation 1 emulators are FAR from perfect. A couple of weeks ago, I tried to play RE2 on a PC, using an emulator and coudn't get it to work. Either there where backgrounds missing, or slowdowns, or other graphical glitches. So in my opinion, the situation is not the same as with the NES/SNES classic. These platforms are perfectly emulated on even ancient hardware, but the PS1? Not so much, at least from my experience. Apart from just wanting that little cool PS1 to sit underneath my TV (which no doubt will make me smile each time I look at it) that is one of the reasons I'll probably gonna pick one up. Depends on the games of course.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I really, really hope someone hacks this thing and it gets it's own version of Hakchi2.

At this point I'm just building a collection of mini consoles, so I say bring em all.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not for me but I hope it will help some kids to enjoy some very classic titles that they never would have played without it.

Problem is, that compared to NES and SNES, ps1 games hasn’t aged well at all.

nowhat

That's my point. Adding those features would've made this an easy sell. I can already play all these games on my PS3 as is.
Adding those features is far from trivial. I seriously doubt Sony (or Nintendo, or any manufacturer of these retro-mini-devices) would be willing to make such an investment.

Rodolink

Its just a cute novelty man, fueled by nostalgia. Playing ps1 games on an actual ps1 mini would have sentimental value. People play on their nes and snes classics instead of a raspberry pi for that reason.

Also $100 is not a lot of money for some of us. These days that's like one game plus all the dlc seasons and crap.

Yeah I agree, I get these consoles for that reason but I'm not bothered by the selection of games inside, if theres one not included I can just plug the old dusty one and feel double the nostalgia.

GenericUser

Problem is, that compared to NES and SNES, ps1 games hasn’t aged well at all.
I disagree, I like low-poly WAAAAAY more then 16/8-Bit Sprites.
ECA5228C724CA88E9C3932DF55216A4D7933785C

The lack of details leaves a lot room for imagination, I love it.

Rodolink

I really, really hope someone hacks this thing and it gets it's own version of Hakchi2.

At this point I'm just building a collection of mini consoles, so I say bring em all.

Imagine a cute little Dreamcast mini, I can wish. <3 Just time and consumers will tell if it can happen or not.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I disagree, I like low-poly WAAAAAY more then 16/8-Bit Sprites.
ECA5228C724CA88E9C3932DF55216A4D7933785C

The lack of details leaves a lot room for imagination, I love it.
I like both of them.
Ps1 games gave a unique charm to them.
N64 games look like shit smeared in Vaseline.

Last edited:

Iggzy

So no backwards compatability for PS5 I assume? Thanks but no thanks, I'm not willing to support such practice.

KiteGr

Aren't all of these classic consoles full of games people have already played? That's the point of them.

Also if it has stuff like GTA, RE2, Castlevania: SOTN, Tomb Raider, Suikoden 2, Twisted Metal 3, Tomba, Rayman, Parappa, Abe's Oddysee etc. on it then that would be a pretty good line up of games.
Everybody has played your Resident Evils and Final fantasies.

What about Kodelka, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Ghost in the shell, R-type delta, Medievil 2, Apocalypse, Vandal Hearts, Alundra 1 & 2 and Evil Zone. Among others lesser known gems that we most didn't play back in the day.

Not to mention plenty of classics like Wild Arms 2, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Tales of Destiny and Chrono Cross among MANY others that despite being both popular and available on the US Psn we never got the chance to play them here in Europe.

As I said... the library is going to be piss poor, containing about 50 or so classics that everyone knows and little alse.

Breakage

This thing would be more desirable if the games that come with it aren't available on PSN ie it was full of quirky cult Japanese games that didn't do big numbers; however, I doubt that will be the case. Also, If you have a PS3, then you also have a functioning PS1. I think that feature is often overlooked.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Just cause its rated for 5 doesn't mean it'll draw that, the SNES Mini draws around 2.3 watts which, funnily enough, is the same as a PSTV draws.
Its peak wattage. It does however exclude most likely die-shrinks of the original hardware. For all its intents and purposes, it could also be a MIPS processor using the PSP Go hardware, and since PSP has a nearly flawless PSX emulator (POPS), it would be easy to repurpose that and output to 720p.

Now if I were the gambling sort I'd say that its more than likely that the PS Classic actually contains repurposed mobos from that device that Sony had lying around in which case it will be very interesting to see what the mod scene is like because the Vita homebrew arena is flourishing.
Could very well be. So, what are the options, from most likely to less likely.
  • AllWinner R16 based platform like NES/SNES Classic
  • Custom ARM platform, Linux based (Perhaps more modern?)
  • PSTV hardware repurposed. That would actually make for a decent spec game console aswell.
  • PSP/PSP Go (MIPS based) hardware repurposed. PSP includes a very compatible PSX emulator (POPS), so how output to 720p could be doable
  • Custom MIPS Platform
  • Full blown Atom based x86 PC with Intel graphics or AMD Embedded
Modification allows other, non-native games to get a port to the platform. Seeing as this is likely a custom Linux based platform, it effectively means another homebrew station to look at. The usual ports like Doom and Quake could arrive there, and perhaps others too.

Its not just about ''loading more games'', partially the reason why NES/SNES Classic are also so popular is because they are a relatively cheap homebrew platform, free from Android but still running Linux and thus open to new games.

Its similarly as to why the GP2X Wiz/Caanoo, Dingoo and GCW Zero exist.

GenericUser

Modification allows other, non-native games to get a port to the platform. Seeing as this is likely a custom Linux based platform, it effectively means another homebrew station to look at. The usual ports like Doom and Quake could arrive there, and perhaps others too.
I, personally, am not interested in that. If the 20 preloaded games offer a solid package, I'm in. The most I could want out of this is a "real" PS1, that can load ripped ISOs of any PS1 game. I don't neeed a homebrew thing that can load the 732th iteration of an open source doom clone.

Ar¢tos

The USB port is used only for power, I don't see how it can be hacked. Which is a shame, because 20 games is not enough when the ps1 had tons of awesome games. Games like Wipeout or Gta1 are probably not included because of the music licenses and many others because of publisher negotiations would be a hassle.
For me to buy something like this it has to include :
FF7/8/9/Anthology/Tactics
CRASH 1/2/3/Racing
Spyro 1/2/3
Medievil 1/2
GT 1/2
Soul Blade
Vagrant Story
Metal Gear Solid
Silent Hill
Resident Evil 1/2/3
and all Tony Hawk games.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

nostalgia of playing older game with better picture quality on Hdmi through a 1080p or better tv

JohannCK

This looks like a way fatter Vita TV with a tiny fraction of the functionality (Vita TV has access to the entire PS Archive library and Vita library), for the same price.

The only thing it seems to have going for it over the Vita TV is the nostalgic-looking shell.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My issue isn't the price. It's the lack of games. And it's not like we don't already have access to all of these. PSN has an insanely large PS1 collection available.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My issue isn't the price. It's the lack of games. And it's not like we don't already have access to all of these. PSN has an insanely large PS1 collection available.

... Which I already own and am apparently buying them yet again on another device to play them rather than them being made available on the infinitely more powerful device I already have hooked up to my TV.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I think it is mainly due to storage while keeping the cost down. Even if each image is 384MB (which some are much larger), that is 8GB minimum.

For contrast, you can hack and load 1,000 games on the Nintendo ones (obviously the file sizes are literally a hair in comparison). So that puts into more perspective that they had plenty of room for more (hell, their entire library), but only put on the amount that they did.

What I am wondering, is how much storage this thing will have for expanding. I am guessing not much more than the images currently on there, so people will be disappointed in that front. You need gigs for these images.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The usb that is used for power on the nes/snes classic is what ppl use to hack said systems...
I didn't know that, I never looked into that. I thought usb power ports on those consoles were modified to only take electrical power, that USB was used out of convenience. There is hope then, but ps1 game sizes are much bigger than snes, I don't think sony will leave much free space to add more things.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
... Which I already own and am apparently buying them yet again on another device to play them rather than them being made available on the infinitely more powerful device I already have hooked up to my TV.
Yeah. Really, it's kind of a weak offering from Sony.

I think it is mainly due to storage while keeping the cost down. Even if each image is 384MB (which some are much larger), that is 8GB minimum.

For contrast, you can hack and load 1,000 games on the Nintendo ones (obviously the file sizes are literally a hair in comparison). So that puts into more perspective that they had plenty of room for more (hell, their entire library), but only put on the amount that they did.

What I am wondering, is how much storage this thing will have for expanding. I am guessing not much more than the images currently on there, so people will be disappointed in that front. You need gigs for these images.
I understand the concern for storage space but I feel it is a non-issue.

For starters, Sony is in a much better position than Nintendo to leverage their own manufacturing and/or supplier contracts to put in an affordable storage option. They sold the Vita TV for around $150. Compare that to this thing. They had a shot to one-up Nintendo with their own mini-console but instead it appears they're just following the crowd. They could've easily thrown in a measly 250 Gig 2.5" HDD to handle the larger games which only adds a few bucks to production costs.

Plus, some games are smaller than 384MB (judging by PSN's own space requirements). For the sake of completeness:
Jumping Flash - 269MB
R4 Ridge Racer - 352MB
Wild Arms - 300MB
Final Fantasy 7 - 1.32GB
Tekken 3 - 439MB (it's not on PSN, so this size is based on "other sources" for digital download)

That comes out to be 2.7GB, averaging ~540MB per game. Most PS1 games are around the 300-400MB mark, for reference. Even with a cheap 32G internal memory stick plugged into a generic Pi board, that's enough room for 50+ games with room to spare for emulation software and save storage.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah. Really, it's kind of a weak offering from Sony.

I understand the concern for storage space but I feel it is a non-issue.

For starters, Sony is in a much better position than Nintendo to leverage their own manufacturing and/or supplier contracts to put in an affordable storage option. They sold the Vita TV for around $150. Compare that to this thing. They had a shot to one-up Nintendo with their own mini-console but instead it appears they're just following the crowd. They could've easily thrown in a measly 250 Gig 2.5" HDD to handle the larger games which only adds a few bucks to production costs.

Plus, some games are smaller than 384MB (judging by PSN's own space requirements). For the sake of completeness:
Jumping Flash - 269MB
R4 Ridge Racer - 352MB
Wild Arms - 300MB
Final Fantasy 7 - 1.32GB
Tekken 3 - 439MB (it's not on PSN, so this size is based on "other sources" for digital download)

That comes out to be 2.7GB, averaging ~540MB per game. Most PS1 games are around the 300-400MB mark, for reference. Even with a cheap 32G internal memory stick plugged into a generic Pi board, that's enough room for 50+ games with room to spare for emulation software and save storage.

I understand that, I just do not think Sony will give that much more for the reason of preventing hacking. But we shall see. Maybe they will play nice and put a healthy amount on there, knowing hacking is part of what boosts sales on these one and done systems. They have nothing to lose if they do not plan on having it be expandable on their end after all.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I understand that, I just do not think Sony will give that much more for the reason of preventing hacking.
Yeah, good point. I feel like the companies should either offer an affordable option to add more games or just accept that it'll be hacked. Offering a digital storefront (with PSN access) would help reduce hacking because then Sony has a way to detect hacked systems and block access to PSN.

But we shall see. Maybe they will play nice and put a healthy amount on there, knowing hacking is part of what boosts sales on these one and done systems. They have nothing to lose if they do not plan on having it be expandable on their end after all.
Right. If they aren't going to let players buy games, they need to accept that hobbyists will hack it.

odhin

I understand that, I just do not think Sony will give that much more for the reason of preventing hacking. But we shall see. Maybe they will play nice and put a healthy amount on there, knowing hacking is part of what boosts sales on these one and done systems. They have nothing to lose if they do not plan on having it be expandable on their end after all.

My thoughts exactly. Why care if people try to put more games "in there" if they already stated they're not going to. Only reason I see, is if they want to release in the future a PS Mini Mk 2 or something with a completly different set of games, but I just see that pissing off even more the customer.

Fox Mulder

Or even just do it on PC for free, with uprezzed graphics and a huge amount of customisability.

You can even use original PlayStation CDs with modern emulators, if you're concerned about the legality of ROMs.

Otherwise you're just spending money on an oversized box. The parts inside it probably aren't worth even half the cost.

I just don't care about what's on PC or what a raspberry pi can do. These are a well wrapped package with a slick UI, neat mini console, real controllers, and HDMI.

They're meant for a mass market audience as nostalgia toys anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom