• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Black Friday sales breakdown

Zen

Banned
I know they wish those Vita numbers were higher, but all things considered not a bad outing.

Yeah, 160 Vitas versus 250k 3DS and 275 DS devices, that's pretty good. I think Sony would kill for the Vita to maintain that ratio going forward.

jcm

Vita did better than expected, still terrible.
3DS didn't sell as much as expected, terrible.

Still terrible + terrible = terrible news for dedicated handhelds

Yes, I think the big news so far (if it's still news to anyone) is that the dedicated handheld market in the US has cratered. I don't think we'll ever see numbers like these again:
Code:
November 2006
NDS   -  918K
GBA   -  641K
PSP   -  412K
Total - 1971K

November 2007
NDS   - 1530K
PSP   -  567K 
Total - 2097K

November 2008
NDS   - 1570K
PSP   -  421K
Total - 1991K
We'll be lucky to see a total handheld sales greater than 1M this year, with two new systems on the market.

Gadirok

I expected more from the vita. Well, I was hoping more from the vita.

Too many people laugh at its sales and software but nobody checks it out.

It has a tidy library, and even if there are ports, I still enjoy them equally as much as I enjoy original titles.

WipEout HD 2048>WipEout 2048

So in reality in the US PS3 probably sold less than 400,000 and vita less than 120,000 because the numbers Sony gave are for NORTH AMERICA, NOT JUST US

You seriously think Canada, about ~10% of the NA market combined when there isn't black friday, took up 20+% of the PS3 sales in Canada it's not nearly as big a deal as in the US? Do people even use logic in sales threads anymore?

EDIT: Took out Mexico since apparently Sony doesn't include it in NA territory. Also, apparently the PR specifically says US only. So now you're even more full of shit.

Nice, now if Sony can put together a Vita bundle with a game, 8-16Gb card, with 3 months of plus for $199 they will have a real seller.

ohlawd

Yes, I think the big news so far (if it's still news to anyone) is that the dedicated handheld market in the US has cratered. I don't think we'll ever see numbers like these again:

We'll be lucky to see a total handheld sales greater than 1M this year, with two new systems on the market.

So depressing :(

3DS is gonna kill it in the 1st half of 2013 but sales aren't gonna translate directly over that.

Mexico is part of N. America.

Geographically, yes but for Sony it's part of LA:

http://latam.playstation.com/index.htm

Code:
November 2006
NDS   -  918K
GBA   -  641K
PSP   -  412K
Total - 1971K

November 2007
NDS   - 1530K
PSP   -  567K 
Total - 2097K

November 2008
NDS   - 1570K
PSP   -  421K
Total - 1991K

Indeed, unless Sony or Nintendo can come out with a vita phone/tablet or a 3DS phone/tablet that is desirable by today's market, numbers like those will never be seen again.

marrec

Banned
Code:
November 2006
NDS   -  918K
GBA   -  641K
PSP   -  412K
Total - 1971K

November 2007
NDS   - 1530K
PSP   -  567K 
Total - 2097K

November 2008
NDS   - 1570K
PSP   -  421K
Total - 1991K

I could see the Vita hitting 300k-350k next November if it gets some momentum. Those 2006 numbers are a year after the US release of the PSP.

I remember some people thought that the Wii U would sell more than the PS3 and 360.......

I don't think anyone said that. By and large people predicted Wii-like shipments which would still, more than likely, be under the PS3/360.

Edit: You guys are saying these numbers are good for the Vita? At least the 3DS can blame some of it's woes on the continued push of the original DS by NOA. 160K on Black Friday, especially with the promotions that were in place, is horrendous.

Toth

The instant game collection realllly saved the Vita and is one of the reasons I, a reluctant purchaser, made the decision to finally buy one. The system rocks and I hope it has some TYPE (0) of a future...

Jomjom

Banned
Just like last year, the bundles sold out. Demand outstripped supply.

Yeah I guess they didn't want to have that great a supply considering they probably weren't making much of a profit at $199.99 for the 250gb bundle with 4 games. I literally could not find one in the Los Angeles area at any Walmart, Best Buy, Target, or Gamestop on the Sunday after BF. The only place that had any was a Sony Store.

nice. good for them. those are good numbers for the vita.

i'm one of those 160k vitas and it's been an amazing piece of hardware so far, and im not a handheld guy. i seriously hope you guys jump on it when the price hits 180$ again.

PS+ tearing it up as well.

jcm

So in reality in the US PS3 probably sold less than 400,000 and vita less than 120,000 because the numbers Sony gave are for NORTH AMERICA, NOT JUST US

I like the way you pull numbers out of your ass and then claim they are some kind of reality check.

Man the handhelds both look fucking sickly to be honest. Glad Vita did as well as it did though, the only thing that's going to save it now is people getting their hands on it and seeing how great it is.

The consoles are still all doing pretty well though.

EagleEyes

Those are pretty good PS3 numbers but you can't quite compare them to the 360 number Microsoft gave. Sony being Sony, they gave numbers that included an extra country and an extra day of sales lol.

maybe over 200k for the vita for november may be a heartbeat. if it can double that for december, it may have gone from death back into coma.

600K combined November/December is about what I was thinking as well.

It's probably too little, too late, but it'd give the system more of a shot than I had previously assumed.

this really just goes to show how people are still buying current gen systems both microsoft and sony.

im happy for that and those numbers. really dont care who sold 100k more or had an extra day in sales. the fact of the matter is that people are still after these systems.

honestly combine those sales and it just means another sequel or ip that has been held off by publishers because they are wary will be made :)

Concept17

Having both the highest priced handheld and console (excluding WiiU) I would say they did quite well. It should be obvious now to Sony that they need a Vita price drop to 199$ as soon as possible. The current price point has been farmed out, time to move on.

Vita numbers emphasizes how mediocre were 3DS numbers.

Yep. Nintendo definitely has an issue with the 3DS in the west. Doesn't help that their "big" game this holiday season was a mediocre Paper Mario title.

Something tells me 3DS is going to do a lot worse than last year's 795,000 total. Who knows, though, maybe they sold shitloads the days before and after Black Friday.

Having both the highest priced handheld and console (excluding WiiU) I would say they did quite well. It should be obvious now to Sony that they need a Vita price drop to 199$ as soon as possible. The current price point has been farmed out, time to move on.

You have a weird definition of good. They also have the lowest priced console, and its sales numbers combined with the Wii Us numbers weren't enough to beat the 360. That's the opposite of good.

Kusagari

Vita's going to sell even worse than usual the rest of the month. It won't break 200k.

Still good for it compared to its horrible sales leading up to November.

Edit: You guys are saying these numbers are good for the Vita? At least the 3DS can blame some of it's woes on the continued push of the original DS by NOA. 160K on Black Friday, especially with the promotions that were in place, is horrendous.

Relative to many folks' expectations and to how the system was selling before this month, they're great.

Objectively, it's selling like a legacy system.

Vita's going to sell even worse than usual the rest of the month. It won't break 200k.

ACIII:L was released near the beginning of the NPD reporting period, so that might have sold enough bundles to break 200K.

KalBalboa

Banned

I bet it breaks 200k for November. AC and Need for Speed hit early in the month and PS+ and CoD hit mid month. All likely sparked some sales, so 40k in 3-4 weeks is doable.

sajj316

Spring 2013 is their dealine to get that sucker refreshed. $179 to $199 for a Vita standalone, $250 with Plus and an 8 gig. Do it, Sony. It's an awesome platform.

I have very little doubt in this happening. Sony welcomes the influx of new PS+ users.

noobie

Banned
Do we have previous years PS3 and PSP Black friday sales?

Sorry if it has been posted somewhere..

ps. if so kindly add to OP

Tratorn

Code:
November 2006
NDS   -  918K
GBA   -  641K
PSP   -  412K
Total - 1971K

November 2007
NDS   - 1530K
PSP   -  567K 
Total - 2097K

November 2008
NDS   - 1570K
PSP   -  421K
Total - 1991K

Do you have the numbers for 2005 and >2008?

Good PS3 numbers, surprising Vita numbers. I think Sony would accept a 1:2 sales ratio next to 3DS anywhere. The big question is if any of those new Vita owners actually bought any software that wasn't free.

Raonak

Banned
PS3 # does not surprise me, but the Vita # does....I am surprised it sold over 100k to be honest......people must of fell for the Block Ops for Vita "being like the console experience"....sucks for them.

Or you know, maybe there were people who bought it because it had some good bundles.
proves that price is a big barrier.

Spring 2013 is their dealine to get that sucker refreshed. $179 to $199 for a Vita standalone, $250 with Plus and an 8 gig. Do it, Sony. It's an awesome platform.

I think Vita is already past the point where a price cut could actually change the system's trajectory, as indicated by the currently announced 2013 software lineup. Killzone, Tearaway, and Soul Sacrifice will all probably be good to great games, but system-sellers they (likely) are not.

Top Bottom