• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Black Friday sales breakdown

jcm

Japan is almost negligible for PS3 worldwide sales. Sort of like GameCube late gen two gens ago. Early on GameCube used Japan to keep it ahead of Xbox, but that died out late gen and Xbox passed GameCube up. PS3 got up to sort of decent for a year or so in Japan, but they're back to almost negligible numbers now. Don't know about Europe, but the difference is ~3.5m, so U.S. + Europe is unlikely to swing that much in PS3's direction, if any.

Isn't the million units in Japan roughly equal to the 360's US lead ytd?

LOCK

Sony should repeat these bundles the Saturday before Christmas. It is the biggest day of the year, present shopping wise.

Zen

Banned
With Europe and Japan is it possible PS3 passes the 360 this holiday? Haven't really been keeping up with how close the two are.

They are absurdly close, the last quarterly reporting period put the PS3 a merely 2 months behind the 360 when it came to reaching the 70m milestone.

Japan is almost negligible for PS3 worldwide sales. Sort of like GameCube late gen two gens ago. Early on GameCube used Japan to keep it ahead of Xbox, but that died out late gen and Xbox passed GameCube up. PS3 got up to sort of decent for a year or so in Japan, but they're back to almost negligible numbers now. Don't know about Europe, but the difference is ~3.5m, so U.S. + Europe is unlikely to swing that much in PS3's direction, if any.

The difference world wide is around 1.2 million units based upon last quarter's shipment numbers and assuming historical PS3/PS2 splits since Sony started combining their sales. Sony also announced that they sold 70 million PS3s mere weeks after Microsoft did.

It's very likely that the PS3 will be second within a quarter or two, especially with PS3 apparently up this year for the holiday period and Microsoft down rather significantly.

Oh wow, missed this one.

Vita was announced under the codename NGP in late January of 2011. Sony showed this sizzle reel there.

Leak /= Announcment

So, you agree with my view that we already know most of Vita's 2013 lineup? I'm surprised.

That is not what I implied at all. Considering I did say "within" a year as well, means there is a high probability there will be games announced in 2013 that will also be relased in 2013.

That logic is just as faulty as using the "leaked" reel to assume that was going to be every title released a year from that date.

There are over 90 games available for the Vita. You can see 10 in that demo reel. The E3 sizzle reel showed another 8. While only one was actually shown (SvsT) on stage and there were franchises mentioned by name but really had nothing to show for it (killzone, COD, bioshock) At that point in time I doubt anyone could name more than 30 titles coming out for vita. Only more information was released over time up until its release.

So.... no. I really wouldn't assume that we know everything coming out for Vita. AMOF I wouldn't say that about "ANY" console.

Niche games don't move hardware, period. I don't think you get just how badly the hardware is selling, and considering that Vita's biggest software releases combined with reasonably priced bundles could only get it to 160K on one of the biggest shopping periods of the year (likely around 200K for the entire month), a price cut won't be enough.

Niche games always move hardware. They build a library and the history of sony devices show that there isn't one title that will correlate to the majority of the console sales.

Leak /= Announcment

That's a publicly released, direct-feed version of a sizzle reel that Sony showed off to press at the NGP reveal conference in January 2011. Pretty much the opposite of a leak.

That is not what I implied at all. Considering I did say "within" a year as well, means there is a high probability there will be games announced in 2013 that will also be relased in 2013.

That logic is just as faulty as using the "leaked" reel to assume that was going to be every title released a year from that date.

Okay, I did legitimately misinterpret that sentence. Sorry. But the point still stands; going by Sony's normal announcement -> release timeframe, we should know about most (not all) of Vita's 2013 lineup by now. Is there any point at which you'd acknowledge that Sony isn't actually sitting on some treasure trove of software announcements? E3 next year?

Niche games always move hardware. They build a library and the history of sony devices show that there isn't one title that will correlate to the majority of the console sales.

Vita's Japanese support at this point consists mainly of niche titles. The only platforms it's tracking ahead of there are Neo-Geo Pocket and WonderSwan.

I beg to differ.

The Vita is NOT targeted to kids, whereas the DS/3DS are more geared toward that demographic. Less parents (who do a lot of shopping), are less likely to pick a Vita over the 3dS for a kids XMas gift, who may not primed for an iPod Touch/iPhone, and likes games.

Sure, a lot of adults, like myself own 3DS - but you can't call a device like the Vita, selling 160k horrendous. It's not great, by considering it has a smaller pool demographic to target, in a smartphone world, it did decent.

I think you nailed it, perhaps more than you intended.

Sony's problem in the West isn't so much that they're doing a bad job of reaching or appealing to Vita's target audience (teen/young adult males who want graphically intensive console-style 3D games on the go); it's that in 2012, that audience simply doesn't exist in sufficient numbers to sustain an entire platform. This is why I don't accept the notion that a price cut, at least in itself, would have a significant long-term effect on sales, or that a Vita-exclusive spinoff of GTA or another major console franchise would have much impact.

How is that a leak when Sony held a fricking press conference? They held a huge conference in January 11 where they announced Call of Duty, Uncharted, and Killzone.

That's a publicly released, direct-feed version of a sizzle reel that Sony showed off to press at the NGP reveal conference in January 2011. Pretty much the opposite of a leak.

Sorry I don't recall that. When people talk about Jan and conferences I usually think about CES. Either way, the point I was trying to make about the amount of titles announced versus what is released still stands.

Okay, I did legitimately misinterpret that sentence. Sorry. But the point still stands; going by Sony's normal announcement -> release timeframe, we should know about most (not all) of Vita's 2013 lineup by now. Is there any point at which you'd acknowledge that Sony isn't actually sitting on some treasure trove of software announcements? E3 next year?

No problem. Maybe I could have worded it better. We probably will hear about more titles at E3 and through out the year. Sony isn't going to start announcing titles left and right unless it is a major title, they want some exposure and I imagine.... talked to third parties about it. I can see if we were simply talking about first party releases. I would agree. But I highly doubt they have announced all of the third party offerings for 2013 at all.

They haven't done so before (as I pointed out) so what really makes you think that they have done it for next year?

Vita's Japanese support at this point consists mainly of niche titles. The only platforms it's tracking ahead of there are Neo-Geo Pocket and WonderSwan.

And that really doesn't refute what I pointed out earlier. If having a varied library filled with niche and new IP was a death call then the playstation brand would not have been as successful as it has been. Sony has constantly introduced new IP to great success each gen and smaller franchises gain followers that are willing to purchase the console to follow the iterations. Granted this will bring up the conversation of "when" an IP is no longer considered niche but I will rather refer to those titles as games whose experiences are narrowly defined.

donny2112

They are absurdly close, the last quarterly reporting period put the PS3 a merely 2 months behind the 360 when it came to reaching the 70m milestone.

"Merely 2 months"

1) Actually "merely" 1 month.
2) That 1 month is part of calendar Q4 where Sony shipped more consoles in 2011 than the other three quarters combined. And Microsoft shipped even more in that one quarter than Sony in 2011.

Sony's so proud of their PS3 shipments that they haven't even reported them as a separate number from PS2 in the last two earning quarters. Great stuff.

"Merely 2 months"

2) That 1 month is part of calendar Q4 where Sony shipped more consoles in 2011 than the other three quarters combined. And Microsoft shipped even more in that one quarter than Sony in 2011.

Sony's so proud of their PS3 shipments that they haven't even reported them as a separate number from PS2 in the last two earning quarters. Great stuff.

And even if they get to this magical second place, is that really any kind of victory when you see where they were the previous two generations?

Pranay

"Merely 2 months"

They cant because they are putting vita/psp together, so they have to do that for ps3/ps2 as well [its not like they cant but thats the only reason they are doing]

And even if they get to this magical second place, is that really any kind of victory when you see where they were the previous two generations?

The victory is recovering from the first 2/3 years of bad sales and doomed state.

Joni

Yet they still revealed the PS3 milestone so they're proud. They're just hiding their two worst performers, or the fact that the PSP isn't one of those two worst performers.

I'm shocked how low the bar has been set for Vita here. With the handheld market completely tanking, I guess 160k isn't bad for the first holiday season.

SkylineRKR

I think that the difference between 360 and Ps3 in UK is some sort of 60-40 in terms of sales. But in mainland Europe I wouldn't be surprised if its 80-20 for Ps3. Its the biggest system over here, especially since Wii stopped selling.

mujun

I think that the difference between 360 and Ps3 in UK is some sort of 60-40 in terms of sales. But in mainland Europe I wouldn't be surprised if its 80-20 for Ps3. Its the biggest system over here, especially since Wii stopped selling.

Isn't Europe something like 22 mil 360 vs 26 mil PS3? Or are those numbers bunk?

Oersted

As for Sony’s latest handheld, the PS Vita, the console sold out of the special $199 ‘Assassin’s Creed® III: Liberation Bundle’ in just mere hours on Amazon. Sony also reported high-sales in the ‘Call of Duty® Black Ops: Declassified Bundle’ and the ‘Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes Bundle’ also priced at $199. In total 160,000 PS Vita units were sold during the week of Black Friday.

What makes you wonder... will those playing Vita first time, and experencing it with CoD, keep buying games for Vita?

“We’re very pleased with the Black Friday sales results, especially the incredible reception for the PS3 and PS Vita bundles. The demand was very strong which quickly depleted our inventory across retailers nationwide,” said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

3DS sales numbers 250000.Not that succesful. Vita sales numbers 160000.Sony is running out of consoles. Times are really changing. Wondering what the Ipad numbers are...

Road

YTD

Code:
      US (oct)   JP (nov)

360   2,660k        70k
PS3   2,000k     1,010k
Diff.   660k      -940k

The Japanese lead is currently bigger, but Nov+Dec in the US will maybe give an extra 1 million to the 360 lead while, in Japan, the PS3 won't add 720k to its lead in December to overcome that.

(Random: I just noticed the 360 has sold 270k in three months this year: Jan, Sep, Oct; NPD)

YTD

Code:
      US (oct)   JP (nov)

360   2,660k        70k
PS3   2,000k     1,010k
Diff.   660k      -940k

The Japanese lead is currently bigger, but Nov+Dec in the US will maybe give an extra 1 million to the 360 lead while, in Japan, the PS3 won't add 720k to its lead in December to overcome that.

(Random: I just noticed the 360 has sold 270k in three months this year: Jan, Sep, Oct; NPD)

Japan itself won't, but Japan + EU difference will be bigger than Xbox lead in US.

jwhit28

How does the Vita bring in young adult American guys? Madden couldn't do it, CoD doesn't look like it will do it. Does GTA still have that power? Can any one IP still have that much power?

omonimo

Banned
"Merely 2 months"

Is it very tough to you say something of positive about ps3, right?

How does the Vita bring in young adult American guys? Madden couldn't do it, CoD doesn't look like it will do it. Does GTA still have that power? Can any one IP still have that much power?

COD could have that power if they actually had released quality game.

3DS sales numbers 250000.Not that succesful. Vita sales numbers 160000.Sony is running out of consoles. Times are really changing. Wondering what the Ipad numbers are...

Ipad Mini numbers will be disappointing me thinks.
Least any success for them will be at the harm of iPad 4.

Anyone being positive about those Vita numbers are surely joking? That's a really disappointing amount... Damn, really getting worried about my 200 note Vita being null and void this time next year. Fuck sake.

Pretty good PS3 numbers and vita whilst not doing well actually did a decent bit better than i expected. Maybe there is some life in the old boy yet (i've actually seen vita ads on tv which is a first).

Interested to see how all these numbers from all 3 manufacturers pan out over the full month.

DBT85

Has anyone got all the figures to work out the average % change in unit sales from BF week to an average month?

EG, the 360 might be up 50% on a typical month for this year, but last year in BF it was up 60% on average.

Does that make sense?

And while I know this is a US sales thread, I'm interested to see the Vita numbers if they come out for the SCEE region since all the bundles came out and they started advertising again.

Claymores

Banned
Extremely poor Vita numbers considering the deals that where available , 3DS was also bad but that at least had the excuse of having no deals during the week.

Jhriad

Sony should repeat these bundles the Saturday before Christmas. It is the biggest day of the year, present shopping wise.

If there's another Vita deal like the Amazon one I'll pick a Vita up. I was away on holiday during the first one.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isn't Europe something like 22 mil 360 vs 26 mil PS3? Or are those numbers bunk?

This chart gives you a pretty good overview of the situation in Europe.

08l.jpg

It won't show how big the gap between PS3 and Xbox360 is, but it clearly shows the PS3 is leading significantly when you account the whole of Europe.

COD could have that power if they actually had released quality game.

I don't agree at all. It would sell at least somewhat better with better word of mouth, sure, but its poor quality is a handy scapegoat.

Liberation actually got decent reviews, and doesn't seem to be setting any charts on fire. RE: Revelations flat-out bombed, despite very positive reviews. Uncharted: GA... well, it didn't bomb, but based on the leaks in the NPD thread (which are admittedly a few months out of date, last I saw), its numbers aren't terribly impressive for a flagship launch title.

There's a pattern here, I suspect.

I swear they said they sold out of all the deals.

Selling more than you have is often difficult.

Sony only reported selling out of the $180 Amazon ACIII:L bundle, not the $199 ACIII:L, COD, and LEGO Batman 2 bundles.

Mirror of Fate. I honestly have no idea how that got greenlit, at least not on that budget.

That's not big at all. Castlevania franchise is pretty much irrelevant in the west in today's market and Lords of Shadow was garbage, this is like FFXIII-2 on a market that doesn't really want it. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice title to have on your line up, but it's a filler title, not a system seller, not a big title, and definitely not something that will get the hype going for the machine. This ain't DQVIIR or MH4 in the west.

I don't agree at all. It would sell at least somewhat better with better word of mouth, sure, but its poor quality is a handy scapegoat.

Liberation actually got decent reviews, and doesn't seem to be setting any charts on fire. RE: Revelations flat-out bombed, despite very positive reviews. Uncharted: GA... well, it didn't bomb, but based on the leaks in the NPD thread (which are admittedly a few months out of date, last I saw), its numbers aren't terribly impressive for a flagship launch title.

There's a pattern here, I suspect.

Poor quality is a handy scapegoat? How? If the game is flat out garbage with 45 minute SP campaign for $50 dollars, that's a scapegoat? Not saying that COD: BOD would have sold 10 million if it was handled properly but to say the poor quality didn't have a major factor in sales is a bit disingenuous.

And if I understand your pattern, you're pretty much saying that big games cannot sell on mobile devices in this day and age, unless the OS is from apple or google. I may somewhat agree on that, except that I think it could sell on other OSes but drastic changes would need to be made for that to happen, either towards the toy segment ($99, great battery life, I think only Nintendo can go this route, Sony or MS would get killed here) or the tablet/smartphone route.

Miles X

360 has a 2m~ shipment lead as of end of September, exactly how is PS3 going to overcome that this holiday?

This chart gives you a pretty good overview of the situation in Europe.

08l.jpg

It won't show how big the gap between PS3 and Xbox360 is, but it clearly shows the PS3 is leading significantly when you account the whole of Europe.

What's significantly exactly? It shows the PS3 leads, not much else. A 22 vs 26m install base isn't some almighty gap.

That's not big at all. Castlevania franchise is pretty much irrelevant in the west in today's market and Lords of Shadow was garbage, this is like FFXIII-2 on a market that doesn't really want it. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice title to have on your line up, but it's a filler title, not a system seller, not a big title, and definitely not something that will get the hype going for the machine. This ain't DQVIIR or MH4 in the west.

I said multiple times in this very thread that it's going to bomb, including in the same post you just quoted. Someone asked about "big Western 3DS games" and I interpreted that as referring to upcoming Western-developed 3DS games with big budgets relative to the platform. Yeesh.

And if I understand your pattern, you're pretty much saying that big games cannot sell on mobile devices in this day and age, unless the OS is from apple or google.

No, I'm saying that big (as in full-priced retail) games aimed at the "dudebro"/"enthusiast"/18-30-year-old male gamer (as in Vita's primary target audience) can't sell on dedicated handhelds in 2012. Again, see above.

360 has a 2m~ shipment lead as of end of September, exactly how is PS3 going to overcome that this holiday?

What's significantly exactly? It shows the PS3 leads, not much else. A 22 vs 26m install base isn't some almighty gap.

The lead is approximately 1.2 million, ps3 could easily exceed that this holiday season especially with ps3 sales up and 360 sales down

We got PS3 shipments for Jul-Sep 2012? Only saw PS2+PS3 numbers. Is there a link?

Take the historical ratio of ps3-ps2 sales for the trailing year and it will give you a conservative estimate especially since going forward the ratio should be more in ps3s favor with declining ps2 sales

Doing this, the gap is only 1.2 million

Vita did very very well compared to what it had been doing.

But what it was selling was one some of the worst numbers we've ever seen. I think Anihawk put it best when he said Vita came out of death into a coma. Consequently the 3DS seems to have had a massive heart attack.

Top Bottom