• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Cancels Playstation MVP Program

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Exactly. I mean I would say "F**k these guys" as well after people kept leaking information.

can't blame them.
they try to do cool inside info.
it gets leaked.
figures out who might have leaked it, removes them. tries again.
it gets leaked.
tries once more..
it gets leaked.

it was nice being on the insidish for a bit, but people really can't keep their mouths shut when under a NDA :/

but yeah since they stopped sending me emails about surveys and what not I figured it would be completely done soon.

Agreed completely HOWEVER. They brought that on themselves. Originally the program was 30 people, then 60, then 100, then all of a sudden everyone was in. Hell there were members who didn't even own PlayStation consoles from my understanding

Good riddance the whole program seemed pointless to me and it locked actual fans of franchises out of betas.

Also the PlayStation forum community is toxic.

Oh god the moderation is a total disaster on those forums.

can't blame them.
it gets leaked.
it gets leaked.
tries once more..
it gets leaked.

it was nice being on the insidish for a bit, but people really can't keep their mouths shut when under a NDA :/

but yeah since they stopped sending me emails about surveys and what not I figured it would be completely done soon.
Did they leak PS4K?

Tapejara

I tried to get in on this for the betas but that forum was incredibly boring. It's a near-dead fanboy congregation with some weirdos. Last I saw, there was a thread about some guy who thought Ellie was hot. There just wasn't enough to talk about to prove my "dedication" to the community.

Yep, I also saw someone comment that they thought Clementine from The Walking Dead was hot. The PS Forums are just toxic.

Edit: FWIW I have had positive experiences with the community going as far back as the late 2000's (shout out to the Warhawk community!), but I left after they changed the look of the forums and when I returned around 2013 the community just wasn't the same.

krae_man

I remember seeing this blog post back in 2013 and said "I wanna to go E3!" and applied and got in October that year.

I applied up to go to E3 2014 and didn't get selected and was super disappointed but I was able to get E3 passes last year through the program. It was awesome to get to do the thing I dreamed of doing as a kid reading EGM. With stuff like PAX and PSX you don't really need to go to E3 anymore but it was still awesome get to do it.

Now I can say I was at the keynote where Square announced FFVII PC Port and And the E3 press conference they announced FFVII *The actual thing we want* Remake. That's a pretty hilarious club to be part of.

At the beginning there was lots of stuff to do. A couple people got to go to the PS4 Launch party, one MVP got to go to a UFC game press event at a UFC card in Vegas, we got to give feedback on potential box art and collectors editions of games, we would be asked for feedback on games and systems(not even exclusively Sony). I think Sony also used to help people who did Wiki's and trophy guides and stuff too. There was a wide variety of things to do and there was a wide variety of MVP's with various skill sets and backgrounds.

It was fun.

Then the community manager left and a new person took over and they went all in on "We will give you free game codes in exchange for social media promotion". Problem was, pretty much nobody in the MVP program had any skill in that regard. Our metrics were garbage. You'd think they would do another round of recruiting and pick some people who actually had some skill in this regard but nope. Months upon months of terrible ROI and then slowly less and less time being given to the program until 3 months of dead silence before they finally decided to tell us what we already knew.

Not that better social media metrics would have likely changed the programs fate. Who knows.

I knew things were starting to go downhill when the minors who lied about their age when they applied would openly admit how old they were and nothing would happen. You legally can't agree to the NDA to be a member and we often get free codes for M rated games. A) why are you not smart enough hide your age and B) How are you not insta booted for doing so?

All the MVP's I met at the two PSX's and E3 last year were all cool and in the end what I got out of the program was worth what I put in.

Good. Sony needs constructive criticism, not adulation.

Not everyone in the program was like that.

Yes there were people who would defend everything because they thought they were supposed to, thought they could curry favor, thought they would get punished if they didn't toe the line or whatever.

But there was also people who would never hold back any criticism.

There was more than one MVP Gaf person. Not all of us took such a "public" approach to the position. Several Gaffers actually.

I remember that gaf poster helping out. I never read the official forums or seen any others on GAF.

GAF probably had 100 MVP's. Several dozen who were active both places too.

Did they leak PS4K?

LOL What kind of access do you think we had?

Freiya

You mean for some PS+ users, they decide not to play numerous highly scoring videogames because you don't like the selections and because their budgets don't go north of some laughably arbitrary number. Tough shit, suck it up.

I like good graphics

can't blame them.
it gets leaked.
it gets leaked.
tries once more..
it gets leaked.

You were never an "insider," sorry.

I'll mostly remember the MVP program for its participants persistently embarrassing themselves on Gaf (RIP Bamelin) by pretending they had inside info or some hotline that went directly to Yoshida ("I send weekly emails to Sony, keep the feedback coming guys!")

You mean for some PS+ users, they decide not to play numerous highly scoring videogames because you don't like the selections and because their budgets don't go north of some laughably arbitrary number. Tough shit, suck it up.

Because an arbitrary score for a game given by someone you dont even know is more valud than your own opinion.

Nah thanks, Im not a big fan of indie welfare.

jesu

Then don't pay for PS Plus. I understand its a value proposition, but if the value isn't there for you, don't renew your sub.

Playing online is a big deal though.

I happen to think PS+ is well worth the money.
Costs pennies a month and you get all those games.

We have a few PS MVP's here right?

To bad MS has this program for over 20 years now.
Seems to be a very cool way to be in touch with your community.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have never heard of this before. It sounds interesting. I wonder why they stopped it?

entremet

Does this mean that one sony MVP gaffer is out of a job?

There were way more Sony MVPs, they just didn't receive tags.

I remember one MVP thread and many just came out of the woodwork. They probably failed to alert the mods or just signed up for beta access and didn't really care about the advocacy role.

Skux

The program just didn't give gamers any value. Why have middlemen between PR and customers? With social media everywhere it's so easy for a brand to engage closely with its fans. And the MVPs would never be able to talk about anything happening behind the scenes when it's all so strictly controlled by PR schedules, not to mention all the accusations of shilling they'd have to deal with.

You can't force this kind of thing. Communities will grow organically if they have something worthwhile to rally around and believe in. Focus on making great games and "MVPs" will emerge all by themselves.

As far as I know this only affect the US MVP program, which was by all accounts a terribly ran mess and hated by MVP's in the other territories for being a leaky ship due to having too many members and being pretty lax in their selection.

The European MVP system is ran much better with just a handful of select people, so hopefully it isn't caught up in the same decision.

entremet

I'll mostly remember the MVP program for its participants persistently embarrassing themselves on Gaf (RIP Bamelin) by pretending they had inside info or some hotline that went directly to Yoshida ("I send weekly emails to Sony, keep the feedback coming guys!")

Yep. It was embarrassing.

We saw this coming for quite a while. When I saw the post I just thought "About time you finally said it" and closed the tab without another thought.

On the bright side though I made some good friends through the program.

I was a member and I thought it was a neat program. I was lucky enough to go to E3 in 2014 because of this program. It's a shame that a lot of people kept leaking info that was sent to the group.

Their responses on sony's own forums were the worst. So many times i'd google an issue and see terrible responses from MVPs. Was there some reward for marking inquiries as "resolved issues"? Because i can't count how many times i've seen a MVP claim they gave good advice when they clearly didn't.

I'm an Xbox MVP, but I think MS's program is a bit different than what PS MVPs were. How many were there? For reference, there's only like 50 Xbox MVPs worldwide and it's not just like "stream games for us and drive engagement". It's pretty hard to get accepted and it's for a wide gambit of community activity.

Just curious what the similarities were?

As far as I know this only affect the US MVP program, which was by all accounts a terribly ran mess and hated by MVP's in the other territories for being a leaky ship due to having too many members and being pretty lax in their selection.

The European MVP system is ran much better with just a handful of select people, so hopefully it isn't caught up in the same decision.
^ This.

Everyone and their mom could become an MVP... what's the point? What's so "special" about it? Do you get a paycheck or something?

Hell, I even remember some pretty toxic people getting approved. Did Sony really want to be represented by them?

Agreed completely HOWEVER. They brought that on themselves. Originally the program was 30 people, then 60, then 100, then all of a sudden everyone was in. Hell there were members who didn't even own PlayStation consoles from my understanding

Oh god the moderation is a total disaster on those forums.
Yeah, it's pretty bad, although I've seen worse than that. Most moderators are Sony employees and they don't give a shit about the community.

This stinks. I know we had a lot of MVP's here on the forums that did a lot of good. I'd say pretty much any time that I had to use Playstation forums for something the only assistance I ever received was from a MVP.

I hope nothing negative happened which is resulting in this.

Gusto

This line again. This is meme wotthy now.The mvp program was beyond useless dude.

For you maybe, but that exclusive Platinum shirt was sooo rad. It also felt cool getting random things. Also tell that to the MVP's that got into E3 a few years ago. I still think it could've been something way more special than it was.

For you maybe, but that exclusive Platinum shirt was sooo rad. It also felt cool getting random things. Also tell that to the MVP's that got into E3 a few years ago. I still think it could've been something way more special than it was.

and for the rest of us, it was like having patronizing customer service non-answers everywhere we went.

Top Bottom