• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ceases PSP shipments in Japan

Godspeed little guy. .While western support became nil, the Japanese industry just kept it flowing with lovely support. Nearly 10 years and 70-80 million sold is pretty damn incredible.

Before the smartphone explosion created by Apple years later, the first time I held it in 2005 was such a mindblowing experience.

black_13

Banned
My first handheld gaming device that I bought. Got it on the first day too. Was amazed how good Ridge Racer looked on it. At that time it was definitely a cool thing.

RIP

Phii

Banned
I loved my PSP 2000 and PSP Go. Parappa, Patapon and Locoroco were my favorite 1st party games on the system.

RIPSP

devonodev

RIP, you served us well.

I remember when it was first released, my friend bought the movies you could watch on there. It was stupid and expensive, but damn was I jealous at the time.

R-User!

Big-Boss-Salute-720x408.jpg

<My avatar PSP.

Kasumin

Over 600 hours of Dissidia Final Fantasy and Duodecim, Crisis Core, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Clint Together, FFT: War of the Lions, and tons of other games.

People said you were worthless because all you had were ports, but to me that meant I could play Tales of Eternia, Tales of Rebirth, a remake of Star Ocean 1, an improved port of Star Ocean 2, and the definitive version of FFIV. I definitely didn't mind the PSP's high number of ports.

Playing 7th Dragon 2020 right now and loving it. The PSP was a great handheld, despite what a lot of people say. Heck, it's still a great handheld.

Kysen

Bought mine from lik-sang at the jp launch right before sony shut them down. Still have it in mint condition. That screen back then was something else. Full media capability on a single handheld device was unheard of.

Neff

Possibly the greatest handheld of all time.

But only if you hacked it.

Was probably worth it for Crisis Core and Dissidia alone, though.

mothball

Was it ever really considered a failure? I mean, it didn't ever really take off the in States, but I've found that Europeans and Japanese owners loooooved the PSP.

The idea that it wasn't a failure is a recent convention. It's comical how much the perception of it has changed in the past few years. I remember the "nogaems" shit following it well into 2009. Seems a lot of people have forgotten how "well" it was received for most of its life.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I remember when my friend picked up a PSP at launch and brought it on the bus to school to show off Dynasty Warriors and the Spiderman UMD. It was unbelievable, I swore I was living in the future. I knew I had to have one right after that and sold my GBASP, some artwork, movies, and a bunch of other stuff to help pay for it.

Got mine a few months after and felt like I was straight ballin." Hey Gospel, lemme play your PSP." "Nah brah, I forgot to charge it during 2nd period (A lie)"

~~Hasan~~

PSP Go was the best thing in this planet once it was opened to emulators. along with the awesome PSP games... I regret selling mine and if I can find cheap one in my local market I am going to buy it without thinking twice.

the size of that was perfect. the only reason I sold my vita and Reg PSP 2000 I used to have. these were/are too big to carry around. but PSP Go ? fuck in my pocket without feeling it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I spent many an hour curled up with my PSP-1000 and its pretty inspired library of games. The full media capability and XMB made it feel like a truly professional piece of hardware instead of simply a gaming machine. Mine still has a few of those PSP-Radio "apps" installed which were nothing more than web pages with fancy layouts pointing towards internet radio streams. I downloaded many a podcast through the RSS feed system before heading out or just streamed them if I was home.

Goodnight soldier, you've earned it.

Mabef

Banned
It's like a nut you can play with outside.

Over 600 hours of Dissidia Final Fantasy and Duodecim, Crisis Core, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Clint Together, FFT: War of the Lions, and tons of other games.

People said you were worthless because all you had were ports, but to me that meant I could play Tales of Eternia, Tales of Rebirth, a remake of Star Ocean 1, an improved port of Star Ocean 2, and the definitive version of FFIV. I definitely didn't mind the PSP's high number of ports.

Playing 7th Dragon 2020 right now and loving it. The PSP was a great handheld, despite what a lot of people say. Heck, it's still a great handheld.
I remember being surprised at how good Maverick Hunter X is. I literally just beat it again in the past week, dialogue is so bad it's good.

zeopower6

The idea that it wasn't a failure is a recent convention. It's comical how much the perception of it has changed in the past few years. I remember the "nogaems" shit following it well into 2009. Seems a lot of people have forgotten how "well" it was received for most of its life.

I thought the PS3 had a much harder time tbh :(

Aru

RIP, the greatest handheld console.
Sold my PSP-1000 last year with no regrets. I beat all the UMD games I wanted and the other games I still want to play are Vita compatible.

Vita isn't going to sell as much, but it still offers quite a good library of games.

Vuze

Monster Hunter Freedom made me buy a PSP, got me hooked on the series for thousands of hours and made me buy a Wii (Monster Hunter 3), 3DS (Monster Hunter 3G/4) and Wii U (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate). You owe Sony some, Nintendo.
Good ol PSP 1000 still sitting in my rack there even if the analog stick is somewhat done for.

Good night sweet prince.

Good to see a bunch of people agreeing on this btw. Got called out just a few days ago for saying the PSP is my favorite handheld to date ("No games" yadda yadda).

In retrospect, the ubiquitous failure narrative was pretty off. I mean, if Vita even reached 50m LTD, people at Sony would probably be pretty happy.

Hell, honest question: is 3DS even tracking to reach 70m ?

CrovaxPSO

I bought the original PSP model in a bundle that came with an ATV off-road game and was super impressed with it. Later on I bought the 3000 model which I was playing Elminage Gothic on earlier today, actually. Region free means it has a huge library of games that I'll be playing for a while.

Erasus

I got mine in 2005. 1000 model. Still have it and last time I checked it still boots into whatever CFW I installed.

So many good games like MGS (I also liked Acid), Killzone, FFT, Wipeout, never played FF7CC but heard its good! Also all the PS1 games.

And the emulators, my god. If Sony could they really should have pitched that :p

Damn, maybe I should get a Vita....

I think the PSPGo looks really cool too

Edit: As someone said it really was like an ipod touch before ios. Could play music, games, full movies.

I think I got an 8GB card for it too.
Shame the new ones for being so expensive.

In the end I didn't have all that much original software on it that I truly liked, but the thing was more than worth it as a portable PS1 already. I'll miss you, little guy.

Jack cw

Probably the best handheld ever created. The only thing that was missing was a right stick. The games were great and the emulating was wonderful.

Grinchy

Banned
I never really liked the PSP. I had a 3000 model and then later on I got a Go. The Go was an awesome mp3 player for me in the days before I had a smartphone, but I didn't really enjoy playing games on any of the PSP models.

The Vita is so much better in every way.

kiguel182

I still remember the launch hype, it was amazing.

Only got one when Tekken wass released but had a blast with it. In the end I played way more in my DS but the PSP still leaves ton of good memories.

Lothars

It's a shame that it's dead now but I feel it lived a better life than the DS and vastly prefer it to this day.

Top Bottom