• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ceases PSP shipments in Japan

So many hours played on PSP. From Metal Gear Acid that made me get into MGS, to Tales of Eternia, that got me into JRPG... Burnout, God of War...So many good memories

herod

it promised one thing but became another, and I don't miss UMD at all, but other than that, it was pretty good for a while.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome handheld that let unbiased people understand that handheld can do and be a lot more than just what Nintendo wants handhelds to do and be.

kubricks

Thanks for making "Gundam vs Gundam" franchise available on handheld, a dream come true for me, I must have wasted over thousands of hours in it alone. Not to mentioned those SRWs, those JRPGs and MGSPW.

You are one of the best system I have ever owned, really ahead of its time, don't let people tell you otherwise, now RIP.

Go_Ly_Dow

Ys7
Ys Oath in Felghana
Trails in the Sky
FFVII;Crisis Core
KH BBS
Persona 3 Portable
FF Dissida
PS1 Classics
Type-0

Some of my fav games on that beast of a handheld.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
Goodbye, PSP. You had a great run!
Coincidentially, I've started on my PSP Retrospective on YouTube. Fitting, really...

magnetic

My cheapo "PSP Street" (E1000, a europe-only budget version without wifi and only a mono speaker) is charging right next to me as I type this, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd waiting patiently for me to return.

For hardware that is over 10 years old, it still holds up quite nicely. I used to play the hell out of Ridge Racer on that thing. I also recently bought Midnight Club LA Remix for Vita via PSN, and man, that game really surprised me with how good it looks for such old hardware. It even got 3 GTA games. It´s amazing to me that open world even works at all on such an old machine.

It also still looks really good, such a great design.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Used PSPs are too expensive.

q1iXhRk.jpg

So many memories playing midnight club 3 FF7:CC. I even remember that I bought an imported version of Naruto ultimate ninja heroes 2 and completed it without knowing a word of japanese, such an awesome handheld.

NateDog

Goodbye my love. I guess this means a final end to companies making games for the system even in Japan. I will always love you.

boingball

Awesome device and many good games. Sad that a lot of the late SW never made it to the West.

And for all its failures it was one of the most successful handhelds ever (unfortunately living alongside the DS, the most successful handheld ever).

Celine

So the failed PSP sold the same amount as the xbox360 and PS3?
Wow....
It was unlucky to be put against the fastest selling dedicated gaming device of all time.

In retrospect, the ubiquitous failure narrative was pretty off. I mean, if Vita even reached 50m LTD, people at Sony would probably be pretty happy.

Hell, honest question: is 3DS even tracking to reach 70m ?
In the same timeframe 3DS is tracking ahead.

Ravage

One of the best purchase i've ever made, it has provided me endless amount of entertainment during my 2 years away from home. Such an amazing device for its time.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
In retrospect, the ubiquitous failure narrative was pretty off. I mean, if Vita even reached 50m LTD, people at Sony would probably be pretty happy.

Hell, honest question: is 3DS even tracking to reach 70m ?

the 3DS will probably reach 60M when all is said and done, although 70 is not out of question with the incoming Pokemon games and Smash, plus some other titles that haven't been announced yet. It's at 44 or so atm, no official numbers though

Aye, farewell sweet prince, the precursor to the greatest handheld ever designed, but a noble, proud, and true gaming platform in it's own right. The PSP will be missed.

Chinbo37

Any reason to get one? The PSP go is 80 bucks new near my house. I would use it to play the PSP games I missed and for emulation?

Joni

I wonder if the 10 year plan counts from 2004-2014 for all regions, or if North America gets its own from 2005-2015.

10 year plan counts worldwide. It is usually first 6-7 years the 'first' world and starting somewhere from year 6-11 the second world.

It might also still catch up to the GBA, no? The GBA is at 81.5 million while the PSP has at least 80 million. Worst case scenario it needs to pick up a bit less than 1.5 million sales.

stn

I have the 1000 still, like everything about it except the d-pad. Horribly uncomfortable for fighting games.

Love my PSP, still remember walking into gamestop to pick one up in 2009 and the employee asked why I wanted one theres no games. 47 games in my collection later, with still more that I want, yeah, no games. Going to cry when it dies.

m.i.s.

Banned
PSP shipments to end worldwide as reported by Yahoo! news.

Code:
Tokyo-based Sony said Tuesday that PSP shipments 
ended in North America in January, will end in Japan
this month and later this year in Europe.

Top Bottom