• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony claims "they're mapping to that forecast" to hit their 6M PSP's sold in NA in 05

Kevtones

Shit, I hope the PSP stays afloat, only to keep Nintendo off its ass and give us consistently awesome DS titles like it did for the last 6 months of 2005. Seriously, I've never had so many "definite buys" for any system ever occur in such a short period of time.

Kevtones

~ I think the Cube sales started falling post Zelda Collectors bundle surge. That $99.99 bundle with the silver Zelda Disk kicked fucking ass @ retail. That xmas was when Nintendo shot the Cube's load. Unfortunately, from there, it tapered severely.

Pimpbaa

Kevtones said:
Shit, I hope the PSP stays afloat, only to keep Nintendo off its ass and give us consistently awesome DS titles like it did for the last 6 months of 2005. Seriously, I've never had so many "definite buys" for any system ever occur in such a short period of time.

Same here. Only complete idiot would want 1 system to dominate. A monopoly is never a good thing.

littlewig

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Same here. Only complete idiot would want 1 system to dominate. A monopoly is never a good thing.

Just letting your competition hang around for the sake of having them isn't benefiting anyone.

Go all out and destroy the competition, if they can't survive, oh well.

Pimpbaa

littlewig said:
Just letting your competition hang around for the sake of having them isn't benefiting anyone.

Idiot. No one is gonna let the competition hang around. I want all parties involved to do their best to be #1. If it wasn't for the PSP, we wouldn't even have the DS right now.

Kevtones

littlewig said:

You play to win, but having competition = better for everyone. Methinks that you're a communist!

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
AniHawk said:
One can hope.

It is quite a lot to be honest. Especially for an expensive system that came out earlier this year. The most we ever had of DSes was 10.

Though the most I've ever seen were 30 used Xboxes in stock.
Thanks for the info.

pixelbox

What is this weird psp hate? It's not doing that bad is it? And if ds is selling wildly, which it is, it's because 1.more kids play games and thats what ds is aiming at, and 2. psp doesn't look or aims to kids, and 3. it's expensive in every way though much better quality. god i hope psp and ds come neck and neck

heidern

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Even if Sony only manages, in the end, to grab 20% of the handheld market, isn't that a SEVERE reduction of Nintendo's stranglehold on the industry?
Well yeah in terms of marketshare, but in terms of their handheld sales Nintendo are seeing worldwide growth. In Europe their sales have absolutely exploded. The GBA is currently selling on par with previous years in the UK, but the DS is selling double or triple that on top. Similar performances are being seen Europe wide. In Japan Nintendo are seeing record sales with the DS dominating even the ps2. In the USA it's been tougher but sales have been recovering.

As for Sony's prediction it was for double the sales at that point which were 2.3M with Sony hoping for around another 2.5-3M and doubling their total. So the target is between 4.6-5.3M in North America. I think they're likely heading for around 3.75M which is a fair bit short of their target, although not a complete disaster by any means.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
pixelbox said:
What is this weird psp hate? It's not doing that bad is it? And if ds is selling wildly, which it is, it's because 1.more kids play games and thats what ds is aiming at, and 2. psp doesn't look or aims to kids, and 3. it's expensive in every way though much better quality. god i hope psp and ds come neck and neck
oh... and I was going to agree with you....

Pimpbaa

pixelbox said:
What is this weird psp hate? It's not doing that bad is it?

Insecure Nintendo fans. Portables is the only place nintendo is dominating right now, and they don't want Nintendo to lose that like they did with consoles.

And if ds is selling wildly, which it is, it's because 1.more kids play games and thats what ds is aiming at, and 2. psp doesn't look or aims to kids, and 3. it's expensive in every way though much better quality. god i hope psp and ds come neck and neck

The DS tends to appeal to a wider audience (more kids and female gamers), that and the cheaper price. The DS started to really sell well when Nintendogs came out (probably had an explosion of females buying it).

AniHawk

Pimpbaa said:
Insecure Nintendo fans. Portables is the only place nintendo is dominating right now, and they don't want Nintendo to lose that like they did with consoles.

:lol

Just having fun with some of the INSECURE SONY FANBOYS is all.

Pimpbaa

AniHawk said:

Speaking of insecure Nintendo fans. I don't want the DS to fail, because I have one and love it. Unlike you wants PSP to outright fail.

Agent X

sonycowboy said:
The sharp screen on the paperback-sized video game device has won over movie fans, fortifying a solid debut though not a runaway success along the lines of Apple Computer Inc.'s (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) iPods.

I'm not sure if that's an entirely accurate statement. The PSP has only been out a little less than 9 months in the US, and just over a year in Japan. Did the iPod sell as many units in its first year as the PSP did? I'm certain that the PSP is far outpacing iPod in its first year on the market. It's probably already exceeded the first two full years of iPod sales, maybe even the first three years.

Monk

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Even if Sony only manages, in the end, to grab 20% of the handheld market, isn't that a SEVERE reduction of Nintendo's stranglehold on the industry?

SPIN, SPIN, SPIN. Honstly do you think that Xbox caused a severe reduction of Sony's stronghold on the industry.

Mook1e

Pimpbaa said:
Speaking of insecure Nintendo fans. I don't want the DS to fail, because I have one and love it. Unlike you wants PSP to outright fail.
Anihawk has a psp :|

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Monk said:
SPIN, SPIN, SPIN. Honstly do you think that Xbox caused a severe reduction of Sony's stronghold on the industry.

It pulled from Sony's market in some way so yeah (In reference to Xbox). Though "severe" is to strong a word to use in this case (and to sever to use with PSP against Nintendo). But you have to remember, Nintendo is (or was) basically the only real handheld company in the handheld market. The PSP not only pulls from current PS2 players but also from avid handheld players that had to have come from Nintendos handheld base.

Mook1e

Pimpbaa said:
Why on earth does he want it to fail then?

AniHawk said:

AniHawk is one of the most neutral posters on GAF.
He's pulling your chain.
Also, he may not have a PSP. I might be mistaken about that, but I know (from previous experience) that he doesn't care one way or the other to root for one system over the other.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
The PSP is stealing Sony's own marketshare, not nintendo's.

BlueTsunami

elostyle said:
The PSP is stealing Sony's own marketshare, not nintendo's.

So your saying that the PSP in now way is taking from Nintendo's handheld market? So its somehow in some spectacular plastic bubble where nothing affects it?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
BlueTsunami said:
So your saying that the PSP in now way is taking from Nintendo's handheld market? So its somehow in some spectacular plastic bubble where nothing affects it?
No but most of PSP's sales come from the PS2.

BlueTsunami

elostyle said:
No but most of PSP's sales come from the PS2.

How are you sure of this? Are there even any numbers to back up such a statement?

Laguna X said:
Oh man. Gotta quote this to preserve in case of editing.

Its a riduculous statement and proves that there is a mystique (among people) that Nintendo is somehow untouchable in the handheld market.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
BlueTsunami said:
How are you sure of this? Are there even any numbers to back up such a statement?
There are no numbers but I'm sure of it. It's basically a portable PS2 but the games are not compatible. Almost all major multiplatform titles get a PSP release that is almost identical to the PS2 version. People rearely buy the same game twice. I thought it was pretty obvious.

Point out the flaw in my logic. Do you have any numbers to back up your statement that it is eating Nintendo's sales? Last I checked nintendo's handheld sales were way up. I think Sony's PS2 hard and software sales are down since the relase of the PSP.

BlueTsunami

elostyle said:
Point out the flaw in my logic. Do you have any numbers to back up your statement that it is eating Nintendo's sales? Last I checked nintendo's handheld sales were way up.

Its a HANDHELD, in a HANDHELD MARKET. In some way, some how its pulling from Nintendo's HANDHELD BASE. Your logic is EXTREMLEY FLAWED. Handheld does not = Console. Let me repeat Handheld does NOT = Consoles. Their two different markets. PSP may be getting people from the PS2 market but people who already fancy portable gaming are likely to get a PSP.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
elostyle said:
There are no numbers but I'm sure of it. It's basically a portable PS2 but the games are not compatible. Almost all major multiplatform titles get a PSP release that is almost identical to the PS2 version. People rearely buy the same game twice. I thought it was pretty obvious.

Point out the flaw in my logic. Do you have any numbers to back up your statement that it is eating Nintendo's sales? Last I checked nintendo's handheld sales were way up.
So true, So true. In fact tomorrow I'm gonna head on out and pick up Wipeout Fusion for the PSP because I want to steal away some sales from Sony.

OH WAIT... :p

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I thought the PSP supposedly got handheld gaming out of the ghetto and made "console game experiences" portable but you're saying it's eating GBA/DS sales?

"It's like a nut that you can play with outside."

PSP releases -> PS2 sales way down, Nintendo handheld sales way up.
Explain.

Are there really people having a hard time deciding between GTA:LCS and Mario Kart. That's a clean cut, nobody's doing that. They either get both or one or the other to begin with without much thinking.

Deciding between Starwars battlefront on PS2 and PSP is a whole other matter. Just check the threads about those games. Nobody is picking up both versions.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
elostyle said:
I thought the PSP supposedly got handheld gaming out of the ghetto and made "console game experiences" portable but you're saying it's eating GBA/DS sales?

Are there really people having a hard time deciding between GTA:LCS and Mario Kart. That's a clean cut, nobody's doing that. They either get both or one or the other to begin with without much thinking.

Deciding between Starwars battlefront on PS2 and PSP is a whole other matter. Just check the threads about those games. Nobody is picking up both.
Quoting to preserve again. Please do go on.

BlueTsunami

elostyle said:
Do you have any numbers to back up your statement that it is eating Nintendo's sales? Last I checked nintendo's handheld sales were way up. I think Sony's PS2 hard and software sales are down since the relase of the PSP.

Also, I shouldn't have to backup numbers to show that PSP is taking from the PS2 market share. Your the one that made that baseless claim to defend Nintendo. Its really a weird type of logic.

It doesn't matter whos up and whos down PSP sales have probably been taking marketshare from Nintendo.

elostyle said:

Explain.

Deciding between Starwars battlefront on PS2 and PSP is a whole other matter. Just check the threads about those games. Nobody is picking up both versions.

Woah

If this is your explanation on PSP taking away from PS2 and not touching Nintendo at all. Them I will gracefully bow out of this converstation for sake of keeping my sanity. Someone else, please take the helm.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
How the fuck is this "defending nintendo". This is about sony.

Who said "not touching nintendo at all"?? Stop thinking black and white.

Your only resoning for your view is the goddamn form factor. And the fact that both devices have a battery.

PSP is closer to the PS2 than to the DS even in specs. I gave multiple explanations for my reasoning now, is this the only one you have?

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
elostyle said:
How the fuck is this "defending nintendo". This is about sony.

Who said "not touching nintendo at all"?? Stop thinking black and white.

Your only resoning for your view is the goddamn form factor. And the fact that both devices have a battery.

PSP is closer to the PS2 than to the DS even in specs. I gave multiple explanations for my reasoning now, is this the only one you have?
Agreed. Sony should've never released the PSP as it is. I mean, why compete against the PS2 instead of the NDS. As it is, Sony is stealing sales from Sony.

BlueTsunami

elostyle said:

SPECS DON"T MATTER. THE FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE IS THAT YOU CAN TAKE YOUR PSP OUTSIDE AND PLAY WITH IT.

Your trying WAY to hard to connect the PSP and PS2 in every way possible. The PSP is a handheld and ALWAYS will be a handheld. That puts it in the Handheld market. It is NOT a console.

Like I said, it maybe pulling from the PS2 fanbase but people who are already avid handheld gamers are more likely to pick up a PSP. Where do you think those people are coming from? Out of thin air? You must be a Nintendo fan (wink wink) you remember the GBA right? That was a handheld right? Do you think people that have bought a GBA in the past moved onto a PSP?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I'm just observing what's happening and trying to find an explanation why the PSP did not steamroll the DS. I came to the conclusion that it is because it is not really competing with it. I don't see any flaw in the numbers or indications there have been.

SPECS DON"T MATTER. THE FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE IS THAT YOU CAN TAKE YOUR PSP OUTSIDE AND PLAY WITH IT.

Your trying WAY to hard to connect the PSP and PS2 in every way possible. The PSP is a handheld and ALWAYS will be a handheld. That puts it in the Handheld market. It is NOT a console.
It has a lot of the same games released that are almost identical. How can you argue that that is not taking away from the PS2 software sales?

That was a handheld right? Do you think people that have bought a GBA in the past moved onto a PSP?
I think very few did. I think the number that got the PSP in addition to their PS2 is much larger. Thus see my other point about multiplatform titles. There have been very few handheld-only gamers before this gen anyways I think. Again, I think you are seeing things a little bit too black and white.

This discussion doesn't seem healthy for either of us so I'm going to stop here. I'll leave you to ponder about why the sony dominance hasn't happened with the psp.

Pimpbaa

Mook1e said:
AniHawk is one of the most neutral posters on GAF.
He's pulling your chain.

Your right (I just did a brief post history search), I had him pegged as a hardcore nintendo fan for some reason (sorry AniHawk).

BlueTsunami

elostyle said:
I'm just observing what's happening and trying to find an explanation why the PSP did not steamroll the DS. I came to the conclusion that it is because it is not really competing with it. I don't see any flaw in the numbers or indications there have been.

But whatever, I'll stop now and let you guys continue on wondering why the sony dominance isn't happening. As I said, I think it's pretty obvious why.

You are so full of shit its not even funny. Dominance is not an issue. Also, I personally never peged that the PSP would have total and complete dominance with the PSP. What do you expect from a freshman attempt at a handheld when its competing with a company thats been in the handheld business since Game fricken boy?

Also, I honestly find it laughable that your trying to find a reason why PSP didn't steamroll DS (like its some type of mythical and unknown answer). I (before PSP came out) already figured how hard it would be for Sony to break into the handheld market. Any intelligent person should have seen that.

Total bs. There is no way the PSP is going to sell more than a million units in December alone. That's crazy talk. If Sony hits their forcast (2.5 million in two months - November and December - in the US), ban me.

Monk

Banned
Man elostyle, if you are going to argue that the psp is not competing with the ds, you can claim that Nintendo is after the non gamer with the likes of brain training and nintendogs selling so well like i do. Or you can be a dickhead and claim that psp isn't even portable because of low battery life.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
BlueTsunami said:

Like I said, it maybe pulling from the PS2 fanbase but people who are already avid handheld gamers are more likely to pick up a PSP. Where do you think those people are coming from? Out of thin air? You must be a Nintendo fan (wink wink) you remember the GBA right? That was a handheld right? Do you think people that have bought a GBA in the past moved onto a PSP?
Gee, I dunno about that. Months ago I wanted something that I could play with on teh go. So I was saying to myself, "Self, what should I get? A PSP or a PS2?" Sure you might be saying hey shouldn't you be saying a NDS instead of PS2, but that's where you'd be wrong because PSP's specs are much closer to the PS2 so obviously I'm gonna choose between the two for my handheld gaming. Isn't that so obvious?

BlueTsunami

PhoenixDark said:
Total bs. There is no way the PSP is going to sell more than a million units in December alone. That's crazy talk. If Sony hits their forcast (2.5 million in two months - November and December - in the US), ban me.

Its a forcast. Its an inflated amount (for stockholders to have a postive image). I honeslty think that Nintendo fans think that Sony comes out with these numbers to inflict personal emotional pain on them.

Top Bottom