• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony clarifies Stringer's PS3 launch target comments

ziran

GamesIndustry.biz

GamesIndustry.biz said:
...Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, a spokesperson for Sony Computer Entertainment has clarified comments made by CEO Howard Stringer recently regarding a spring launch for PS3.

"Ken Kutaragi, president of SCE, announced a spring target date for the launch of PlayStation 3 at this year's E3, and it appears that Sir Howard confirmed it at yesterday's strategy meeting," the spokesperson said.

"We have not yet announced detailed launch dates for each region," he continued, adding: "If you look at how close Microsoft announced release dates to the launch of the Xbox 360, it's rather unrealistic to expect PS3 dates now."...
the bit in bold is odd. to me, it sounds like stringer confirmed something he shouldn't have. it's the use of the word appears. the sony spokesperson has a 'oh stringer, yeah, he has nothing to with sce' tone.

basically sony's saying it's too soon to announce launch dates.

i agree with what many have said ~
q2 06 - japan
q3/4 06 - north america
q4 06 - q1 07 - europe & rest of world

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Don't you guys recognize a clarification of a clarification that they have not clarified the exact release dates?!?!?!!? ;)

Razoric

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
I would... if I could. But I can't... so I won't. ;-)

Rest assured, Sony is going balls out to ship in Q1 in Japan.

Ahh ok.... well I hope you are right. The sooner they can get it out in Japan and start focusing on the U.S. the better. Any word on a U.S. release?

Mrbob

I would trust MassiveAttack when it comes to Sony insider info.

MassiveAttack said:

What about North American launch date? Will we see the PS3 before Fall 06?

Mrbob said:
What about North American launch date? Will we see the PS3 before Fall 06?

Nothing firm on NA yet. But remember that Sony tends to be rather superstitious regarding launch dates. A September or October launch is a smart bet.

That said, it looks likely that X360 will have no more than 3 months of peace and solitude in Japan. Interpret that as you will.

Chittagong

Gold Member
MassiveAttack said:
The Japan launch will be in Q1 of 2006, not Q2. Note that this is not based on speculation.

MassiveAttack said:
That said, it looks likely that X360 will have no more than 3 months of peace and solitude in Japan. Interpret that as you will.

MassiveAttack said:

Those are very bold statements. If true, that'd be megaton level news. I don't think anybody is expecting it that soon, especially after the video show that was TGS.

You do have a lot of posts and a long history... interesting.

Lionheart

MassiveAttack said:
Nothing firm on NA yet. But remember that Sony tends to be rather superstitious regarding launch dates. A September or October launch is a smart bet.

My guess for Japanese launch then: 2006/3/3

PhatSaqs

Banned
If true then Sony must really be much further along than they're putting on. This time before the PS2 Japan launch everything was on the table already. Launch date, price, lineup, etc.

Ulairi

Banned
They aren't going to launch this spring. They're just saying they are so people think "I'll wait and get the next Playstation instead of Xbox."

Won't happen.

AB 101

Banned
Well, as Sony said Spring 2006 at E3, maybe that means a spring 2006 launch in the US?

E3 is in the US.

One can spin it a number of ways.

Razoric

Banned
Ulairi said:
They aren't going to launch this spring. They're just saying they are so people think "I'll wait and get the next Playstation instead of Xbox."

Won't happen.

pray.JPG

Ulairi said:

Won't happen.

Sony doesn't have to say anything. The MGS4 trailer alone convinced a significant number of people to wait.

thorns

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
Sony doesn't have to say anything. The MGS4 trailer alone convinced a significant number of message board fanboys who didn't care about the xbox 360 in the first place to wait.

fixed.

Sir Howard got a spanking.

MassiveAttack said:
Sony doesn't have to say anything. The MGS4 trailer alone convinced a significant number of people to wait.

Only the SONY hardcore....keep saying that to yourself.

NinSoX

Banned
Ulairi said:

Won't happen.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

do you really think Sony gives a shit about xbox360?

MS is way out of their league, its the PS3 we are talking about here

Playstation > Nintendo> Mikes bad pizza´s > Xbox

NinSoX said:

Playstation userbase > Nintendo> Mikes bad pizza´s > Xbox

Did you roll dice for this post? It make zero sense.

DarienA

NinSoX said:

Playstation userbase > Nintendo> Mikes bad pizza´s > Xbox

Your post makes me now wish I was defending the OTHER side of this "argument".

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DarienA said:
6% up to 22%....... oh yeah things are definitely looking up for MS in Japan.... relatively speaking.
I thought the 22% ratio from Famitsu was some ancient news, and that 6% pool is in fact much newer. I vaguely remember Bach was damage controlling those 6% before TGS.

DarienA

Marconelly said:
I thought the 22% ratio from Famitsu was some ancient news, and that 6% pool is in fact much newer. I vaguely remember Bach was damage controlling those 6% before TGS.

I don't know I thought I saw somewhere the other day that the 22% was a new figure, I'll have to look around.

EDIT: Ah ok 22% fake numbers... didn't see that other thread...

Oxymoron

Chittagong said:
Those are very bold statements. If true, that'd be megaton level news. I don't think anybody is expecting it that soon, especially after the video show that was TGS.

You do have a lot of posts and a long history... interesting.

Remember the PSP launch? Didn't they announce in November or something that they were launching in December? They pretty much came out of fucking nowhere with that one, most of us weren't expecting a Japan PSP launch until at least January.

Razoric

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
Wow...so PS3 will be launched before it's ever even been playable at a major trade show?

CES

Also I love Sony's new Nintendo attitude. They don't show off shit just build up so much more hype. I just hope they deliver in the end. :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DrGAKMAN said:
Wow...so PS3 will be launched before it's ever even been playable at a major trade show?

If it launches in March 2006 in Japan... there is a PlayStation show scheduled for February 2006.

If it launches in 3rd or 4th quarter of 2006 in US... there is E3 2006.

Anyway, wait for January for more concrete news.

Mrbob

I'm starting to think Septemer 06 release at the earliest for PS3 in NA.

Q1 2006 launch in Japan starting to shift my view on X360/PS3. I thought perhaps Sony may be holding back to improve specs some more. As it is, the two consoles will be very comparable and released within 3-4 months of each other. I guess I won't wait on next gen now.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Razoric said:
Also I love Sony's new Nintendo attitude. They don't show off shit just build up so much more hype.
I think they've definitely learned from Microsoft's mistakes -- if you show your stuff off too early, you run the risk of getting a negative stigma that's hard to shake no matter how many times you say "beta kit".

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Well then, I guess it's possible and thus probable. Sony's making alot of the parts pretty much in-house (BR drive, Cell, etc.) so they could probably keep it on the downlow on how production is coming. So 6 years after PS2 (March 2000) they release PS3 (March 2006) in Japan, but I forget, when did PS2 launch in NA...October? Is it likely they may aim for a more "worldwide launch" window like Nintendo did with NDS & MS is planning to do with 360 in order to cut short any lead time MS may have?

I had always thought that Sony (while still wanting the overdemand for PS3, like PS2, by having not enough units at launch to create hype) would be more prepared and have more PS3's at launch for each region than they did with PS2...especially with MS & Nintendo being closer not giving them the headstart advantage. High pricepoint, not enough launch units and being sandwiched between 360 & Revolution launches WON'T be the cake-walk that PS2 had.

I'm just hoping Nintendo won't try to release too soon before PS3 comes out. If they do THEY'LL be the one's sandwiched on top of being pitted dirrectly against MS again (which is ONLY a good thing for Sony, who would use that to their advantage). Theoretically, if Nintendo comes out before Sony, that doesn't leave MS on the market alone with the only next-generation system...thus...this splits the #'s 360 could've gained all the while Sony builds up time, hype and units before PS3 launch. I'm hoping Nintendo comes out after Sony, this leaves MS on the market alone, which thus puts pressure on Sony, sandwiches PS3 between 360 & Revolution launches, gives Nintendo a bit of time to have a good launch and also allows them to take advantage of the unavoidable PS3 shortages.

As far as Nintendo's production is heading, no one really knows, they probably will come out after Sony by default. I know they're not making new fabrication plants (good word that they're using the old GCN plants) like Sony had to (and Nintendo had to with GCN, which cut into their launch timeframe this generation) so that gives them time, but we haven't even gotten specs yet so??? Also, Nintendo kept the interface secret, maybe they kept production secret too? Who knows. All I know is, if Sony can launch earlier, they should to kill the 360 "head start".

Sounds about right. I don't know why people expected the PS3 to come out in the US so soon. Japanese will probably tolerate an early launch but not Americans. That way it will be out with Madden NFL 07 and the likes.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MassiveAttack said:
That PlayStation Conference may end up being an event that is at least partially open to the public much like the PlayStation Festival in February, 2000.

Yeah. That's the point I was trying to make.

Top Bottom