• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony clarifies Stringer's PS3 launch target comments

Bebpo

Banned
If PS3 really launches within 3 months of X360 in Japan, then oh shit I feel sorry for MS Japan...they'd be dead before they even had a chance. Heck most of the Jpn X360 software isn't even going to come out before spring 2006, so MS would have like 10 titles in those 3 months to combat of the PS3. Ouch.

Bebpo said:
If PS3 really launches within 3 months of X360 in Japan, then oh shit I feel sorry for MS Japan...they'd be dead before they even had a chance. Heck most of the Jpn X360 software isn't even going to come out before spring 2006, so MS would have like 10 titles in those 3 months to combat of the PS3. Ouch.

Yup. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are way, way off too.

Bebpo said:

As part of a discussion we had in the media create thread, I am pretty convinced that from a Sony profitability standpoint, it makes more sense to launch in Japan first, even though we all consider US to be the real battleground between Sony and Microsoft next gen.

The PS2 is selling about 80k/month, which is pretty darn low, far lower than US & Europe, even if you were to allow that Japan is ~20% of the worldwide market. Part of that is the handheld revival, but I think the writing was on the wall before the DS was even out. Japan is ready for next generation (or at least, just about done with this console generation)

Bebpo

Banned
sonycowboy said:
As part of a discussion we had in the media create thread, I am pretty convinced that from a Sony profitability standpoint, it makes more sense to launch in Japan first, even though we all consider US to be the real battleground between Sony and Microsoft next gen.

The PS2 is selling about 80k/month, which is pretty darn low, far lower than US & Europe, even if you were to allow that Japan is ~20% of the worldwide market. Part of that is the handheld revival, but I think the writing was on the wall before the DS was even out. Japan is ready for next generation (or at least, just about done with this console generation)

Well it makes sense for the simple fact that if Sony rushes into the Japanese market and completely obliterates MS in Japan for the entire generation...well then PS3 will become the only place to get all the big name Japanese software; something that will help in the US like it helped the PS2.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Bebpo said:
360 is dead in Japan regardless of when PS3 launches.

Mooreberg

I still think they're going to attempt to release it in Japan in early June 2006 (technically spring) and then early september in the U.S.

They could focus on making enough units for one region to start, and then two, and eventually all three whenever the Euro release date is. Having the system come out at the start of the NFL season will help since the other version of Madden 2007 will only have been out for a few weeks by then.

And do people actually believe MGS4 will be out next year? That's really bucking the trend on release dates for that series. I'm expecting it in mid-November 2007...

PhatSaqs said:
360 is dead in Japan regardless of when PS3 launches.

I disagree; I think the Mistwalker titles are going to make a difference. This time MS has games specifically made for the Japanese audience. Also, Square Enix is interested in the multi platform strategy so FF and DQ might come to X360 and that will make a huge difference.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Doom_Bringer said:
I disagree; I think the Mistwalker titles are going to make a difference. This time MS has games specifically made for the Japanese audience. Also, Square Enix is interested in the multi platform strategy so FF and DQ might come to X360 and that will make a huge difference.

Wait... the Xbox had games made specifically for the Japanese audience... they were just BAD games...

I don't think the X360 is doomed... I think it still just has a HUGE uphill battle to fight. It's not like it's fighting an encumbent who is losing 3rd party support and boom it has a killer title that turns things to it's side... it's fighting an encumbent that continues to see strong third party support.

Again ....X360 will do better than the Xbox.... but compared to Rev and even moreso the PS3? I don't know....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mrbob said:
I'm starting to think Septemer 06 release at the earliest for PS3 in NA.

Q1 2006 launch in Japan starting to shift my view on X360/PS3. I thought perhaps Sony may be holding back to improve specs some more. As it is, the two consoles will be very comparable and released within 3-4 months of each other. I guess I won't wait on next gen now.

blah blah blah, think think think.

Not just picking on you Mrbob, you're just one of many. I love how so many people have contacts at all the big publishers, and are up to speed on Sony's IC development and fabrication situation.

NOBODY KNOWS BLOODY ANYTHING!

When MS were where Sony are now (6-9 months from launch) they had fuck all to show for it. It'll still be tight, but they will launch in November/December.

What is so special about Sony that you don't believe they'll launch? They are a damn sight better at producing hardware than MS, and they managed it.

As it is, the two consoles will be very comparable

aaargh!! Don't get me started on that fucking conjecture!

DarienA said:
Wait... the Xbox had games made specifically for the Japanese audience... they were just BAD games...

I don't think the X360 is doomed... I think it still just has a HUGE uphill battle to fight.

Sorry but please name a single decent JRPG for Xbox. The Japanese care about RPG's and Xbox offered nothing. X360 has Blue Dragon the Dragon Quest clone, Lost Odyssey the FF clone and several other RPGs.

Mrbob

mrklaw,

Not sure what you are talking about. I believe Massive Attack when he says the system will be out in Japan in Q1 2006. But in NA he makes it sound like it won't be till Fall 06. The difference between release of the X360 and PS3 isn't too big. But MS is giving NA next gen this year while Sony is making NA wait until later in 2006. I'm so ready to hop on next gen (Most games coming out in current gen are not interesting me at all) but I will wait a little longer if Sony somehow announces a Spring 06 NA release. That is all.

If you think the PS3 is going to be way ahead of the Xbox 360, while releasing only 3 months later, well good for you. :) I don't believe it, though.

X05 is almost here. :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Doom_Bringer said:
Sorry but please name a single decent JRPG for Xbox. The Japanese care about RPG's and Xbox offered nothing. X360 has Blue Dragon the Dragon Quest clone, Lost Odyssey the FF clone and several other RPGs.

How could you quote me and still get wrong what I said? I said that there WERE games made specifically for the Xbox.. unfortunately they were BAD games...

Amir0x

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

In the end, though... Winning Eleven, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, maybe Kingdom Hearts? These are the franchises that move mountains in Japan. I suspect, and maybe I'm off base, that Revolution will be very appealing to the evolving Japanese market. So Microsoft is facing a near impossible battle in that territory, in my opinion.

Unless it can surprise us with an announcement between now and December 10th.

Dragmire

I could see Sony launching early '06 in Japan and maybe even the US. People expected PS2 to take longer to release than it did (because of manufacturing) as well as PSP. I highly doubt it'll be a year before PS3 hits the US. Sony doesn't need to wait for a big game like Madden anyway. People flocked to both PS2 and PSP for the games that were inevitably coming out for them, not the launch games (there were little, if any major franchise games for either launch).

I'm having trouble understanding these new feelings of doom for 360 in Japan because of this "confirmation". Since when did the 360 have a chance of competing with Sony in Japan in the first place? There'sa spring launch in Japan. So? Why would anyone really be surprised by this in the least. To not launch in spring would mean not launching by Christmas in NA and Sony was never going to go two straight Christmas seasons with MS chewing up nextgen market share. You don't need a chrystal ball to figure that out, hell, you don't need to know much about the games industry at all to figure that out. Wasn't world wide simultaneous release the point of contention? This current topic seems much ado about nothing.

The real concern is Europe. If they keep to there usual Europe gets it last policy, Sony will miss the Christmas season twice there, add to that a couple of inevitable 360 price drops and come PS3 launch it may not look so good for Sony.

TTP said:
The Japanese market has alway acted as a testing ground for Sony.
From a selfish US gamer point-of-view, I appreciate that the Japanese get the system first, find out any problems, then Sony fixes them in time for US launch. Both the PS2 and the PSP had little problems and errors that were fixed by the US launches.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"HAHAHA - so it's not Winter 2006 for Japan, Spring 2007 for the US anymore?"

yes, it'll come out when the Makaimura game is finished.

I revised my estimate - so i can look more shocked when it does come out in Winter ! ;)

Mooreberg

Rabid Wolverine said:
I rekon sony might pull a worldwide launch ala what ms is doing.

They need to 1up ms. Maybe a full worldwide launch on day 1.

They've never put out enough systems launching one area at a time, I don't see how the hell they'd pull off a worldwide launch. A timeframe similar to PS2 would be good so games that are out for the Japan launch can get cleaned up (like Tekken Tag) but PS3 obviously isn't coming out in March so I doubt there's going to be a similar window for developers to work with.

Norse

MassiveAttack said:
The Japan launch will be in Q1 of 2006, not Q2. Note that this is not based on speculation.

Of course it isnt...it's based on some wishfull dream of yours.

Raistlin

On a serious note (and to add some fuel to the fire) ...

... If you read the Sony strategy 2005 transcripts thread (http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=64426), you'll notice they mention Spring 2006 ...

Games

The first priority is the successful introduction of PLAYSTATION 3 next spring, an event that will strengthen the entire Sony Group and further grow the market for computer entertainment. The ratio of internally-sourced games software will be increased and links with electronics and entertainment expanded. PlayStation Portable's market position will be solidified and its functions will be enhanced.

Not sure what to make of this.

Basically we've had two people implying Spring (depending how you take it) ... and now we have official strategy statement, written in English from the get-go no less, stating Spring as well.

My take - they haven't directly given an official date, or period for that matter, but it certainly is clear they are trying to get it out by Spring. This can't be a coincedence.

Norse

They say spring so everyone thinks of waiting for it instead of buying a x360.

Look, there are only 2 things that will dictate when the ps3 launches:

1. How successful a launch x360 has.
2. Games are readyfor ps3 launch.

Only other thing would be how well ps2 sales are going. If ps2 sales are good, and x360 launch is avg or less, Sony will wait. They wont rush to market and cut into the profits the ps2 gets them.

Bebpo

Banned
Norse said:
2. Games are readyfor ps3 launch.

PS2 launch showed games don't matter. They can launch with 1 decent title and a bunch of shovelware in march and they'll still sell millions.

Raistlin

Bebpo said:
PS2 launch showed games don't matter. They can launch with 1 decent title and a bunch of shovelware in march and they'll still sell millions.

This is certainly true in Japan.

So if the HW is ready ... they may as well go for it.

6 months after the Japanese release should give developers enough time to get at least a couple more decent titles (and a bunch more shovelware) ready ... just in time for a fall NA launch.

Bebpo

Banned
Chrono said:
If Microsoft can do a world wide launch, why can't Sony?

Because unlike MS who is taking it slow and strategic, if PS3 launched in March Sony would be rushing production of hardware units like crazy. If they can only manufacture say 500k a month at first (just a random number), they'd want to keep those in Japan until they've built a solid user base. Sending units to the US would just cause insane shortages in Japan and that's not cool to the Japanese.

Raistlin

Chrono said:
If Microsoft can do a world wide launch, why can't Sony?

It just matters how fast they can fab.

From a PR/marketing standpoint, it might be better to wait until fall for NA though. In Japan, it doesn't matter when you launch ... early adopters will eat it up.

In NA, launching prior to Christmas seems to be key.

Norse

Bebpo said:

Uh, I wasnt talking AAA titles...I was talking "any title". You people dont understand. 1 shovelware by march may be doable.....1

ziran

Bebpo said:
i agree. sony shifted nearly 1 million ps2s in the first weekend, i still think the demand for this kind of ps3 launch is there.

just getting the ps3 out there would be of benefit to sony.

sony may also decide to officially announce a march 06 launch for japan days before the xbox 360 launch and circulate some videos of a few launch titles.

also, if ps3 is launched in march 06, this is the release time of ffxii. even though it's current gen, it could sell some ps3s, and again establish the ff series on sony consoles, especially if they show some footage of ffxiii at ces or the ps festival.

neptunes

I think they're goign to need games to be ready for launch, none of this launch and leave business. (a la PSP)

or at least a killer app (or two)

I also think they should keep an eye on nintendo (just sayin :p)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mrbob said:
If you think the PS3 is going to be way ahead of the Xbox 360, while releasing only 3 months later, well good for you. :) I don't believe it, though.

I'm not saying I think PS3 is going to be way ahead of 360, I'm just saying its daft for people to say the opposite based on little more than a hunch.

Razoric

Banned
Norse said:
Uh, I wasnt talking AAA titles...I was talking "any title". You people dont understand. 1 shovelware by march may be doable.....1

If you are wrong would you agree to be banned forever?

Norse said:

Bullshit. Thats what people said with PS2 as well. There will probably be at least half a dozen JPN PS3 launch titles. Will they be good? Unlikely but that doesn't mean it won't sell out. Only PS3 launch title I could see that has a chance of making it here is Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection. The rest is probably Mahjongg and that dopey A-Train.

Norse

MassiveAttack said:
No, it's based on Norse mythology. The Midgar serpent stirred from his ancient sleep and whispered it thusly.

heh...nice response.

ANd anyone thats seen StarGate SG-1 knows that Norse is not a myth! ;)

DCharlie

"PS2 launch showed games don't matter. They can launch with 1 decent title and a bunch of shovelware in march and they'll still sell millions."

well, there are a couple of factors to consider

1. The PS2 was a lot of peoples first venture into DVD - there was at least one new application of the PS2.

2. ... which begs the questions : will Bluray movies/content be ready and released by April?

3. It depends on the cost of the PS3. If it's 39800 i think people will buy it if there are low number of games/low quality games. If it's above that, then i think a lot of gamers will hold off until something good comes out (if they do launch with nothing of note)

Izzy

Banned
DCharlie said:
well, there are a couple of factors to consider

1. The PS2 was a lot of peoples first venture into DVD - there was at least one new application of the PS2.

2. ... which begs the questions : will Bluray movies/content be ready and released by April?

3. It depends on the cost of the PS3. If it's 39800 i think people will buy it if there are low number of games/low quality games. If it's above that, then i think a lot of gamers will hold off until something good comes out (if they do launch with nothing of note)

My PS3 launch line-up prediction:

BRD movies + Fatal Inertia + RRVI + a couple of Shogi games + a quirky little SCE game + shovelware crap

DCharlie

well, Fatal Inertia is the worst looking PS3 game so far (interms of graphics and interms of what the game looks to be)

I'd buy a PS3 if it just launches with just a power cable, but that's because launches get me all excited, but i want some new exciting game to help me enjoy the launch a bit more.

Come on Sega, do something whacky for PS3 launch... Rez 2 or something...

Izzy

Banned
DCharlie said:
well, Fatal Inertia is the worst looking PS3 game so far (interms of graphics and interms of what the game looks to be)

I'd buy a PS3 if it just launches with just a power cable, but that's because launches get me all excited, but i want some new exciting game to help me enjoy the launch a bit more.

Hahaha - I bought Laser Active at launch. With Dragon's Lair!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so now we're assuming the only games that might be ready are ones we've seen already?

We didn't see wipeout pure until close to the US launch. We didn't see TOCA or CMR or Virtua Tennis for PSP until close to UK launch.

It is possible that there are games being developed that the leet insiders here at GAF are not aware of.

mrklaw said:
It is possible that there are games being developed that the leet insiders here at GAF are not aware of.

Of course. Unlike a certain other company, Sony is particularly good at keeping secrets. Witness the PSP for example.

Top Bottom