• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony confirms: more first party games to PC

Iced Arcade

Sony is in the business of making money.

More software sold, more money gained. People who game on consoles generally don't have big thumping PCs and or don't want to fuck around with PCs soooo it's not fishing out of the same pond.

If a game launches on both PS5 and PC guess what you lose.... Absolutely nothing.

DeaDPo0L84

This would bother me if I was 12 years old still fighting over video games on forums. Luckily at the age of 36 where I attempt to think like an adult most of the time this actually makes total sense in today's time and I look forward to their offerings in the future.

turtlepowa

Banned
I genuinely think would be a bad move.
Keep exclusives to Playstation or people wont buy console.
Nintendo does it right
Sony doesn't need pc owners that buy a PS just for exclusive games. I bet Sony and Microsoft both will lose money with the next gen console. So imagine plenty of core gamers with a pc buying a PS5, only used disc exclusives and no PS Plus or 3rd party games. Porting the games to pc would be a better deal. Sony never made a single cent with me and i played most of their games.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Nintendo does it right

True dat

Before this news drop in

I was considering PC + PS5 and Nintendo

Now il just stick with PC and Nintendo

And if 45 million other PS Plus subscribers gone and switching to PC then Sony will start to realize the mistake they made

Last edited:
Nintendo does it right

I don't know, Nintendo is pretty old fashion, exclusives did them no good with the WiiU. Anyway even Nintendo had to cave in and start making mobile games.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I don't know, Nintendo is pretty old fashion, exclusives did them no good with the WiiU. Anyway even Nintendo had to cave in and start making mobile games.

Nintendo Wii U days are so far in the back now that it is irrelevant to talk about

Nintendo mistake with Wii U was in the naming making most people mistaking in as Wii pheriperal

The reality is Nintendo current system is outpacing PS4
F9RcApM.jpg
Youre looking at those Xbox One number that what will happen to PS5 if Sony follows Xbox policy by putting their first party output on other system

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Sony is in the business of making money.

More software sold, more money gained. People who game on consoles generally don't have big thumping PCs and or don't want to fuck around with PCs soooo it's not fishing out of the same pond.

If a game launches on both PS5 and PC guess what you lose.... Absolutely nothing.

Probably not completely true as they they incur more development costs, and they may lose some sales that they would have made on ps5, but likely still very worth it.

Even if they eat away at 20% of the ps5 sales, the extra pc sales coukd easily make the port worth the cost.

Of course the other risk, which has been mentioned, is that they lose buyers from the closed ecosystem that is thier console. But i assume they have done thier diligence and have run the numbers and still come out significantly ahead.

Of course to be fair, the people on this forum should be destroying them for the mere mention of developing a ps5 game mutiplatform, since they have spent the last 2 months evicerating ms for it. Strange, it doesnt seem to be happening.....

Last edited:
Nintendo Wii U days are so far in the back now that it is irrelevant to talk about

Nintendo mistake with Wii U was in the naming making most people mistaking in as Wii pheriperal

The reality is Nintendo current system is outpacing PS4
F9RcApM.jpg
Youre looking at those Xbox One number that what will happen to PS5 if Sony following Xbox policy by putting their first party output on other system

I don't think Xbox One numbers are due to exclusives being on pc, I think it's because of lack of exclusives period. Microsoft really halfassed this generation, lack of motivation and interest and simply gave up and admitted defeat. Consumers are not stupid, they figured it out and also gave up on it, you reap what you sow, that's why I don't have much faith in them as a company. Regardless that's the real explanation for those numbers, that was also the WiiU mistake.

Edit: Oh and they both had shitty marketing, that also contributed to their failures.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
I don't think Xbox One numbers are due to exclusives being on pc, I think it's because of lack of exclusives period. Microsoft really halfassed this generation, lack of motivation and interest and simply gave up and admitted defeat. Consumers are not stupid, they figured it out and also gave up on it, you reap what you sow, that's why I don't have much faith in them as a company. Regardless that's the real explanation for those numbers, that was also the WiiU mistake.
They may have lost a few million sales because of Pc ports, but the main reason were the 100 bucks because of Kinect at the launch. They even had more exclusive games than Sony, but 100 bucks are 100 bucks.

teezzy

Banned
What a stupid thing to be upset about.

You don't work for Sony or Microsoft, you're some loser consumer on a video game forum - just like I am.

Clearly their analysts have determined this is the way to go. More people playing their games is better, and gives them more ROI to make more games for you all.

We all win, dweebs.

pasterpl

To be honest this is not surprising, games development cost is increasing and prices of games are not, if the pc ports can be done cheaply and generate some incremental revenue it makes perfect sense from business point of view.

CAB_Life

The future is more and more about services and games, not the platforms we play them on. The writing has been on the wall for years and this gen will close with that shift mostly in effect.

The slowest players in this space will be playing catch-up.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
And how do these graphs show a correlation between games available on PC and console sales?
Am I reading this graph right? Xbox 360 supposedly sold just over 50 million consoles?

pretty sure they were around the 85 million mark...

yay for GAF Graphs.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS5, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.
Sony, publicly apologize and cancel any planned port for PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.
You forgot the /s

fermcr

Horizon Zero Dawn was released on PC as a broken mess... hope future Sony games on PC have much better ports.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Hell yeah. I bet they will keep servers going longer now for certain games since there should be a lot more activity as games age.

ZywyPL

Banned
As expected, and fully understandable. Making SP-only games means there's no DLC/MTX/Season Pass/GaaS etc. where the most profits actually are nowadays. And those games take 5-7 years to make, that's shitloads of dollars in salaries for the devs and especially execs that need to be returned first before any profit is made. Videogames are so expensive to make nowadays that sticking to just one platform makes little chance to make huge profit numbers, and after all it's all just a business, it's exactly about making huge money.

Translation
We gonna release older titles to promote newer titles for you to buy on PS5

That's most likely what they want to achieve, but PC gamers will rather wait for ports than get a secondary device they've never been interested in, only to play games at 30FPS, consoles just don't have a selling point for PC crowd, which is performance. Not to mention that despite how some fans try to paint the 1st party games, there's nothing outstanding in them that would make the PC-only guys go "OMG, I need go get Playstation to play this game!". The adoption rate on PS4 alone shows how many people aren't interested in them despite already having the console, I personally know quite a bunch of people who have PS4 since day one and haven't played Sony 1st party exclusive till this day, and there's nothing that can be done to convince them to try them out, they're just not interested in them atcall and want to play nothing but GTA, Fifa, Assasin etc., I know it sounds crazy, but it is what it is, so let alone good luck trying to convince the PC crowd. MS tried to change the PC landscape with Play Anywhere initiative and their own Store/UWP games, but after some time they learned it's impossible to change 20-30yo habits, you want to make a profit on PC just release the game on Steam, and don't try/count anything more, that's thecway it goes. Sony is yet to learn their lessons, but they will eventually.

kikii

Gold Member
okee will not pre-order ps5 then... ill just wait some years when or if those hits on PC like Bloodborne :p

GHG

Gold Member
It's quite simple for me.

If it's new titles then there's absolutely no reason for me to buy a PS5.

So I'm interested to see what they have to say on it at the next event.

zaitsu

Banned
It's quite simple for me.

If it's new titles then there's absolutely no reason for me to buy a PS5.

So I'm interested to see what they have to say on it at the next event.
It won't be new tittles.
There are quite few older one left :)

DavidGzz

So imagine Elden Ring, Demon's Souls Remake, and Bloodborne on PC and/or upgraded on PS5 in the same year. Mmmmm

Last edited:

Aladin

Sony signed up for azure game streaming support. Has PS Now on Windows. Don't be surprised if all they make Ps now similar to gamepass, and ps5 exclusives on it day one, for both console and PC.

Last edited:
Avengers Queen said:
current list of things is

bloodborne
god of war
days gone
uncharted collection
the last of us 1 and 2
ghost of sushi

i know bloodborne god of war and sushi are very much in there last stages and relatively can be announced whenever but i dont have that answer. last of us (mainly second one) is in line for nvidia effects possibly dlss and stuff like stranding.

Not sure who she is but the other posters seem to trust her. I believe she was known as Queen of Hunting on Neogaf.

Hostile_18

Banned
Man if that list happens all we will need is a PC. Is a little strange Spiderman would be left out though. Seems almost too good to be true.

As for the PC running PS5 games this gen is going to be so interesting. Looking forward to things like Valhalla that gets released on everything both in performance terms and minimum/recommended spec wise.

turtlepowa

Banned

Not sure who she is but the other posters seem to trust her. I believe she was known as Queen of Hunting on Neogaf.
Not much exclusivity left if she is right.

Sony signed up for azure game streaming support. Has PS Now on Windows. Don't be surprised if all they make Ps now similar to gamepass, and ps5 exclusives on it day one, for both console and PC.

If they do something like that, then that’s a moronic move of epic proportions on behalf of Sony especially for a brand new console. That will most likely make the PS5 look less appealing to most people.

Then again, I do have a strong feeling the Sony is going to royally screw up somewhere next generation. Things are just going too smooth for them right now and I think something will happen. This could be it, but we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Is she an insider? I clicked on her name but you have to be a member to see profile. Huge games for PC if so. Man, Sony tasted that Steam money and they want another hit or 20. Hell yeah!
I don't know her, but nobody in the thread doubted her words so i guess she is a trustworthy source.

Krisprolls

Banned
A lot of craziness here as usual. It's about old PS4 games, it obviously doesn't change anything about PS5 or PS5 games. Those couldn't be ported to PC even if they wanted, due to the SSD and I/O system trouncing anything on PC.

Relax everybody, more money to Sony is a good thing.

GrayChild

TBH I don't care about most of the games on the list, but I can't wait to see the meltdowns that will happen once these are officially announced.

Lanrutcon

Outstanding news.

In a perfect world, Bloodborne gets a PC release...resurrects the Soulsborne craze...Bloodborne sequel gets announced as a result. Everyone wins. Cupcakes all around.

yurinka

"We will EXPLORE expanding our 1st party titles to the PC platform, in order to promote further growth in our profitability"

Maybe this means they will check out how Horizon sales go, or are considering to put more 1st party games on PS Now. It doesn't confirm they will release more games on Steam/Epic.

Orta

Banned
I wonder if this is in any way related to making a bit of extra money back that they'll lose on announcing the PS5's rrp of $650?

Last edited:

GrayChild

I wonder if this is in any way related to making a bit of extra money back that they'll lose on announcing the PS5's rrp of $650?

Yes. And even taking this aside, the ever-growing development budgets make AAA single-player only titles more and more risky. Porting certain games for PC at a later stage makes recouping the costs and generating long-term profits much easier.

Top Bottom