• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Rumor Platform Sony Could Be Working on a Customizable Controller With a Wii U-Style Screen

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Dec 1, 2014
ibiza

According to recently revealed patents, Sony has a new customizable controller in the works that features a “swappable, rotatable button cluster” and a “customizable touch interface.” For many gamers, these words conjure visions of the disastrous Wii U that has trapped games to this day. But these patents reveal that Sony has plans to make this new controller fair better than its Nintendo predecessor.

The patents reveal that the controller’s “customizable touch interface” refers to UI elements on the screen. In theory, players would be able to change certain visual elements on the screen, allowing for controls that players could tweak to their own personal style. This could also refer to customizable actions such as swiping in a certain direction to reload a weapon or use a special. It could even refer to allowing developers to alter the screen for various purposes, such as in Hideo Kojima's rumored Silent Hill entry.

The controller will also feature a “swappable, rotatable button cluster.” While it is not entirely clear what this could mean, it is clear that player customization appears to be the primary focus of this controller. The button cluster in question appears to be configurable in a number of ways. The implications of this are vague, but exciting. If the controller is too unwieldy for certain players to use, as was a complaint levied against the Wii U, some of its issues could be resolved simply by allowing players the freedom to customize their controls.

Reactions: ProgenitorCastle

Marty-McFly

Banned
Jul 2, 2021
That's pretty cool. I'd get it, but it's a niche Wii U like peripheral. The good thing about it is that it would continue to receive support because it's only streaming.

That Wii U controller worked perfectly. There was no lag whatsoever.

Tommi84

Nov 15, 2013
Maybe try to make a ps5 controller with a better then 4 hour battery life before you worry about your newest failed peripheral please…

Turn off all the gimmicks and you can easily have 7hours of gameplay. Still not enough? Plug in a powerbank while you're at it :D.

And it's 'than' not 'then'.

Reactions: Deraj

skit_data

Nov 3, 2020
I don’t get the Wii U-vibes from this at all.

More like Elite controller-vibes.

dvdvideo

Sep 15, 2005
Diagram/drawing looks wierd. But it did make me wonder, just how cool would a sony or ms wii u controller with a 9" 1080p oled in it be to play games in any room. I mean I know the wii u did this but the range was like 6 feet. How about one that actually worked through the whole house?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
May 19, 2019
I wouldn't mind a duelsense Pro which has the touch pad changed to a touch screen + other premium features, like customisable paddles.

However I could see it being an issue if games start to require it.

NoviDon

May 31, 2020
I wouldn't mind a duelsense Pro which has the touch pad changed to a touch screen + other premium features, like customisable paddles.

However I could see it being an issue if games start to require it.
its a luxury product that enhances the convenience of games, it wouldn't require it. Im sure they could do some cool things on it like stream other apps: netfix, hulu youtube, buy and download add ons and expansions on the fly, jump into parties without suspending the game, and of course like DS/WiiU have the map and other cluster off the main screen, go through the game menu and change loadouts/settings without pausing, etc.

BlackTron

Jun 30, 2016
Sounds more like the touch pad on a PS4 controller that lets you map actions to different portions of the screen than a Wii U gamepad.

Kokoloko85

Sep 26, 2019
Maybe try to make a ps5 controller with a better then 4 hour battery life before you worry about your newest failed peripheral please…

Maybe learn how to make more then 3 basic boring colors too while you’re at it.

You’re must be defected. I have 2 and I have easily put in 6+ hours many times with games like Death Stranding etc. It way better than the PS4 controller

Reactions: Rivet and arvfab

Bryank75

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Ireland
More ass ideas.... stop wasting money on stuff that nobody wants.

No cloud bullshit, no mobile bullshit and no PC ports.... and whatever mobile attachment crap this is....

Damn it!

kiefer sutherland president GIF by NETFLIX

• Strength
Reactions: MrS and Dthomp

Tschumi

Gold Member
Jul 4, 2020
Sounds like a handheld with touch screen that can attach to TVs. Like a psp 2000 with touch screen, or a vita tv with touch screen

Dthomp

Sep 17, 2005
Somewhere Cold
You’re must be defected. I have 2 and I have easily put in 6+ hours many times with games like Death Stranding etc. It way better than the PS4 controller

That's fair, I was being slightly /s but forgot I need that in Sony posts if you aren't in full protect mode. I love Playstation brand, but I find the battery life even at 6-7 hours a massive step back after the PS3 controllers lasted days and not hours. You are right that it is much better then the 4, those were/are? the worst controllers I've ever had the pleasure of using, there was no quality control testing on those whatsoever, and I'm pretty sure out of the 7-8 that me and my wife own 4-5 of them have had bad stick drift issues within a year of use.

phil_t98

Oct 10, 2014
That would be really cool. Hope that it could be used as a standed tv screen for when people can’t get access to the big tv, paired up with the wireless headphone it could be awesome

ksdixon

Jul 31, 2010
Is this new? I thought we saw patents for a removeable touch screen in place of the touch pad, in the run up to the ps5 controller reveal?

Jan 25, 2021
They need the option to remove the dpad and swap with it with the left analogue.