• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Striek said:
Lair, Heavenly Sword, Final Fantasy VII:r (I wish), The Getaway or Killzone.

FF7r is going to happen, I just don't see them showing it again before TGS or their own show later this year.

Striek said:
GT5 will probably look amazing, but as a racing game you can't really compare it in general as you can with most every other genre.

I disagree with this, while its not in the same style as those other games I think it should be in the running for best looking game. Especially if they can give it that realistic look the series has always had.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ELS-01X said:
01a.gif
This man speaks the truth. I really don't think anything will compare on a technical level to Lair, if what that teaser promises comes into it's own throughout the game. That is, if they really can have many dragons detailed like that on the screen, and if the surrounding scenery can also be kept at that level of detail.

Still, MGS4 is MGS4, even though it may not be technically the best, I think it will impress people the most. I also have pretty high hopes for Heavenly Sword.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Marconelly said:
This man speaks the truth. I really don't think anything will compare on a technical level to Lair, if what that teaser promises comes into it's own throughout the game. That is, if they really can have many dragons detailed like that on the screen, and if the surrounding scenery can also be kept at that level of detail.

Still, MGS4 is MGS4, even though it may not be technically the best, I think it will impress people the most. I also have pretty high hopes for Heavenly Sword.

What about Warhawk, Motorstorm, and GT5?

Zilch

Banned
Amir0x said:
SquareEnix has a show right before Sony's tommorrow, actually.

Are you going to make a separate thread for Squeenix's conference, or contain it to this thread? I had the urge to make such a thread but decided against it.

Amir0x

Banned
Zilch said:
Are you going to make a separate thread for Squeenix's conference, or contain it to this thread? I had the urge to make such a thread but decided against it.

You can certainly make a thread for it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
mckmas8808 said:
What about Warhawk, Motorstorm, and GT5?
Big question marks, IMO.

- Warhawk, while good looking, doesn't have that WOW factor to push it over, at least not in that video footage I've seen. Yes, clouds and water looked great, but I'd be lying now if I wouldn't say that I've seen very similar looking clouds in one PS2 WW2 flying game demo called Heroes of the Pacific, couple of days ago. Clouds in that game were just incredible looking, had that same blinding golden directional lighting effect from the sun, obsured the view when you were inside them, in a word, completely volumetric, there was craploads of them, and it moved at a steady 30FPS. Yes, clouds in Warhawk do look better and fluffier still, but it's not as huge difference as you might think.

- Motorstorm, if they pull the game closer to the target video, then sure, it will be higly impressive. It needs much better looking particle effects and motion blur (or to be at 60FPS) though. It also needs some detailed vehicle damage. I do think they are on their way to deliver, the impressive physics and vehicle models are already there, but I don't know if they will have it ready for E3.

- GT5 is a complete wildcard for me. I have no idea what Polyphony will deliver. Will we see a playable demo with super-detailed car models like those from the teaser video?

How often does a developer hold a conference of its own?

Squeenix console immenent? :)

It would actually do pretty well in Japan, I think

mckmas8808

Marconelly said:
Big question marks, IMO.

- Warhawk, while good looking, doesn't have that WOW factor to push it over, at least not in that video footage I've seen. Yes, clouds and water looked great, but I'd be lying now if I wouldn't say that I've seen very similar looking clouds in one PS2 WW2 flying game demo called Heroes of the Pacific, couple of days ago. Clouds in that game were just incredible looking, had that same blinding golden directional lighting effect from the sun, obsured the view when you were inside them, in a word, completely volumetric, there was craploads of them, and it moved at a steady 30FPS. Yes, clouds in Warhawk do look better and fluffier still, but it's not as huge difference as you might think.

- Motorstorm, if they pull the game closer to the target video, then sure, it will be higly impressive. It needs much better looking particle effects and motion blur (or to be at 60FPS) though. It also needs some detailed vehicle damage. I do think they are on their way to deliver, the impressive physics and vehicle models are already there, but I don't know if they will have it ready for E3.

- GT5 is a complete wildcard for me. I have no idea what Polyphony will deliver. Will we see a playable demo with super-detailed car models like those from the teaser video?

Nice predictions and thoughts. I think you will be surprised.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree regarding Warhawk. It just looks kinda lame, in a 1.5 kind of way, awesome water effects aside. Anyone that tells you otherwise has a vision problem. :p

Motorstorm could be amazing in motion if Evolution delivers on the action and mechanics displayed in the CG trailer...but eh. :p

GT5 will obliterate its competition. Wildcard? PLZ.

Kittonwy

Banned
Marconelly said:
Big question marks, IMO.

This is SCEI's biggest franchise, Polyphony should be able to deliver a great driving game that defines the system.
gladtomeetya.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jett said:
GT5 will obliterate its competition. Wildcard? PLZ.
I'm only saying that GT5 is a wildcard because I have no idea what they will show. If they show another "vision" video teaser, that won't be too great. If they show a demo with cars like they had in that TGS teaser, it's a whole other story.

I also *really* hope we get a HD direct feed trailer of R&C PS3 footage they had at GDC.

GeoramA

Is Warhawk still going to have some FPS gameplay in it? I'm very interested to see how that ties in with the traditional gameplay.

Kittonwy

Banned
GeoramA said:
Is Warhawk still going to have some FPS gameplay in it? I'm very interested to see how that ties in with the traditional gameplay.

Brian Upton (lead designer of the original Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon) is on the team as senior designer, it should have some FPS gameplay in it, methinks.
gladtomeetya.gif

GeoramA

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=139083

PS3: Bye bye boomerang!
Sunday 7-May-2006 11:57 PM Sony say goodbye to the boomerang controller, new design revealed tomorrow!

If you were one of the many people who didn't think Sony's "bananarang" PS3 controller design was much cop, then stay tuned - for the big S is going to take the wraps off the final design tomorrow.

CVG will be attending Sony's pre-E3 conference tomorrow (it starts around 10pm UK time), where, amongst other juicy PS3-related titbits, we'll get our first sighting of the new joypad.
:D

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow...so add the redesigned PS3 controller to the possible magatons tomorrow...

:D

tsp_gatmog said:
this 1up podcast is hyping me up for tomorrow, fuck

:O

I've gots to download that

mckmas8808

jett said:
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree regarding Warhawk. It just looks kinda lame, in a 1.5 kind of way, awesome water effects aside. Anyone that tells you otherwise has a vision problem. :p

Warhawk looks PS 2.5?:lol Have you played any flying games? How can you put the water, clouds, 4xAA, and HDR lighting aside? And remember we have not really seen lots of the game yet.

skip

the main site is down for the time being, but you can still grab the 1UP Yours podcast through ITMS (I think...).

Striek

Speevy said:
So what do you guys guess the final controller looks like?
Dual Shock 2 with the most reflective sheen you've ever seen.

Hopefully its the teeniest bit bigger and with slightly lower L2/R2 (though not triggers).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I don't know, I must be in the minority (along with mckmass) that thinks Warhawk actually looks good. The vid at GDC definatley looked better than the old vid shown last year.

I want to see some nice high res videos of it just to make sure :D

jett

D-Member
mckmas8808 said:
Warhawk looks PS 2.5?:lol Have you played any flying games? How can you put the water, clouds, 4xAA, and HDR lighting aside? And remember we have not really seen lots of the game yet.

It just doesn't impress me, other than the water. Sorry buddy.

jett

D-Member
BlueTsunami said:
I don't know, I must be in the minority (along with mckmass) that thinks Warhawk actually looks good. The vid at GDC definatley looked better than the old vid shown last year.

I want to see some nice high res videos of it just to make sure :D

Hellz no, the trailer at TGS was much better...mostly because it did a better job at showcasing the water effects. :p

mckmas8808

jett said:
It just doesn't impress me, other than the water. Sorry buddy.

But you really haven't seen the game. You've seen a demo stuck in a small square box. But I do repect you opinion though.

Speevy said:
I can say that Warhawk looks a step above Crimson Skies or Blazing Angels.

One BIG ASS step above I would say. ;)

jett

D-Member
mckmas8808 said:
But you really haven't seen the game. You've seen a demo stuck in a small square box. But I do repect you opinion though.

One BIG ASS step above I would say. ;)

Well OBVIOUSLY I'm basing my opinion from what we've seen. :p

WYWY

FFVII Remake
For the record...

I'll even use all capitals and bold them for emphasis...

SQUARE-ENIX ONLY EVER REVEALS A NEW FF OR A NEW DQ AT ONE SOURCE ONLY. V-JUMP MAGAZINE.

Please (also for your own sakes) re-align your speculations and expectations along other more constructive avenues.

Himuro said:
What does the podcast say?

Polyphonys going to kill everyone
Sony has a big announcement at the end of the conference that'll change peoples mind on the PS3
They've hand picked 15 PS3 games that'll be playable

Striek

"1Up.com is temporarily down for maintenance. Please return later."

Has anyone got a direct-link to the podcast (which I think are on different servers)?

Striek said:
"1Up.com is temporarily down for maintenance. Please return later."

Has anyone got a direct-link to the podcast (which I think are on different servers)?

i'll put it on yousendit, for the time being

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:
Polyphonys going to kill everyone
Sony has a big announcement at the end of the conference that'll change peoples mind on the PS3
They've hand picked 15 PS3 games that'll be playable

Wow, I guess next-gen starts with GT5. 15 playable titles? That's like double what the 360 had last year. :p Anything else, and btw where can I listen to this thing?

Amir0x

Banned
WYWY said:
For the record...

I'll even use all capitals and bold them for emphasis...

SQUARE-ENIX ONLY EVER REVEALS A NEW FF OR A NEW DQ AT ONE SOURCE ONLY. V-JUMP MAGAZINE.

Please (also for your own sakes) re-align your speculations and expectations along other more constructive avenues.

Who is talking about revealing it? All anyone needs is a confirmation that "FFXIII is coming to X" platform or "FFVIIre is being made for Y platform."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom