• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2017 Conference Thread [Over]

Solid conference but it was disappointingly short.

Whoever decided to not show NNK 2, GT Sport and FF Dissidia but cut the conference short should seriously be questioned.

stryke

Definitely not the best conference for new stuff from WWS.
I was not surprised Sucker Punch wasn't there, people seem to forget they're a small studio.
And personally I'm not huge Infamous fan so I don't mind missing out on not knowing what they're doing at the moment.

Looks like I'll be playing my first God of War game though.

Aceofspades

Banned
Its pretty funny how MS boasts this new powerhouse of machine yet sony had clearly the best looking games on the show

People overestimate X power. With increased adoption of 4K , difference with PRO will be similar to PS4 to Xone. Checkerboard vs Native.

Also flops numbers are useless if you don't first parties devs to utilize it.

People overestimate X power. With increased adoption of 4K , difference with PRO will be similar to PS4 to Xone. Checkerboard vs Native.

This… and art direction, aesthetics, presentation etc. etc. Things that hardware itself cannot provide.

Ricky 7

Solid showings by games that had already been announced. Monster Hunter seems divisive, some say megaton others disaster, other than that no huge new reveals. They seemed to focus on the people in the theatre, stream audience felt it was a bit impersonal lacked excitement. Overall, mediocre.

How do you feel about the biggest exclusive anoucment being the 2nd remake of a ps2 game...

Showed Gamplay segments of GoW (amazing), Days Gone, Uncharted and Detroit.
Announced Horizon DLC, Shadow of the Colossus REMAKE (Megaton) Monster Hunter World.

Great VR support by showing 3 or 4 new games Skyrim among others.

Showed Spider Man gameplay.

It was a great conf. It just lacked surprises.

Aw that's a shame. I guess all those early announcements in the past 2 E3s have caught up to them.

Is there a summary anywhere of everything that was in the pre show?

Gran Turismo Sport trailer (game releases this fall)
Matterfall debut gameplay trailer
Ni no Kuni 2 trailer
Superhot VR
Everybody's Golf trailer
Knack 2 trailer
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (Coco confirmed playable)
Playlink initiative announced. Games that played with your cell phone. Includes a new game called Hidden Agenda from the Until Dawn creators. Also That's You, Frantics, Knowledge is Power, and Singstar Celebration where are all party-style games.
Tropico 6 announced
Undertale revealed for PS4/Vita

RSchmitz

What did Sony show that's coming out this year? Every trailer I have looked at has a 2018 date...was there anything new?
Matterfall in August and Horizon DLC, that´s yet to get an specific date.
Knack 2 also got a release date in September and GT Sport was scheduled for Fall.

That´s it I think, the rest of the games still to come had a release date already. There was also some VR and those social games that I don´t follow closely.

grimmiq

Aside is Matterfall in August and Horizon DLC, that´s yet to get an specific date.
Knack 2 also got a release date in September and GT Sport was scheduled for Fall.

That´s it I think, the rest of the games still to come had a release date already. There was also some VR and those social games that I don´t follow closely.

Ni No Kuni 2 got a Nov 10 release date too.

Nameless

Whoever decided to not show NNK 2, GT Sport and FF Dissidia but cut the conference short should seriously be questioned.

Honestly they should've cut the Pre-Show by 30mins if not altogether and featured those trailers and announcements on the main stage, which included six 2017 exclusives, several with price & release date. Dedicate some time to acknowledge some of the [console] exclusives indies coming their way like Absolver, Hellblade, Next Machinia, etc...tighten up the VR segment a bit and I think the conference lands a lot better.

Melchiah

Yeah Anthem and Starwars look great!

They'll look great on both systems. I remain sceptical about Anthem though, considering what Mass Effect Andromeda looked like in its initial showing and final form, not to mention the Kotaku article about the difficulties with animation on Frostbite.

Betty

Banned
Presentation was perfect, only Shawn came out twice, no cringe parts except those hanging actors on stage, really quick gameplay demo's.

but damn it was short... very unmemorable too.

If we'd seen anything from
Death Stranding
FFVII
Kingdom Hearts 3 (even just a replay of that trailer)
Red Dead Redemption 2

Just one of these titles would've elevated the show.

C+ in terms of content

S+ in terms of presentation.

Ni no Kuni 2 trailer
Superhot VR
Everybody's Golf trailer
Knack 2 trailer
Playlink initiative announced. Games that played with your cell phone. Includes a new game called Hidden Agenda from the Until Dawn creators. Also That's You, Frantics, Knowledge is Power, and Singstar Celebration where are all party-style games.
Tropico 6 announced

Cool, thanks.

Some of those should have been in the main conference

Slept on it woke up, still shit

Will give it a few days to settle but believe me when i say i'm still mad at arrogant Sony

I feel like they owe us
Why does everyone act like Sony is being arrogant? They showed games just like MS only both were a little lackluster this year. Where was the arrogance though?

Minamu

Are there really no regular direct feed from sony this year? I can only find orher sites' own streams with muddled trailer sounds and crowd cheers playing over everything o_O

Edit:nvm just a poor start.

Square is really something else... I mean, WTF.

Dissidia FF?
Pre-E3

Kingdom Hearts III trailer?
Orchestra

Shitty FF VR fishing game?
Press conference

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Okay, so for those of you who went to the theater experience, what does the redeemable code get you?

Ni no Kuni 2 trailer
Superhot VR
Everybody's Golf trailer
Knack 2 trailer
Tropico 6 announced

Pre-Show was so damn good that I let myself gotten overhype for the main conference. Such a shame.

It felt short, but that might be because they didn't have people in suits droning on about 'experiences' and how successful the PS4 is. I felt like it was a solid offering of games here but nothing particularly stand out. Same way I felt about the MS conference.

They shouldn't be allowed to run another conference ever again, complete stupidity.

So while it was good, it just looks bad when you compare it to Sony's E3s from 2013-2016. Those were in the 9.5-10 category and this one was just pretty good. Some issues I had:
- As stated above, why the fuck is Knack 2, NNK2, GT Sport, and FF Dissidia not shown on the best, free marketing platform in the world? They're games that are coming out this year. Seriously, it boggles the mind how stupid this was. Who said this is a good idea during the marketing meeting to green lit it? "You know what'a a great idea.. lets not show all these games coming out this year during the biggest press even in the world. We don't want people knowing too much about these games." I'm dumbfounded how fucking stupid this strategy was.
tumblr_o39x2fzeQc1tk48vko1_400.gif

- Time. Again, another dumb mistake by whoever ran this. The mentality seems to be "it's passing the time limit. Lets structure our show on an arbitrary specific time instead of basing it on the games we actually have." COD I didn't know was an MP trailer until I went on gaf. Why not go through a 6-9 minute gameplay trailer explaining it? Why not do the same for Battlefront II?
- Indies, where art thou? It looks like Sony doesn't give a shit (as much) about indies anymore. I see Ori 2 and Cuphead on MS's conference, where are the indies for Sony ffs? Real disappointed to not see some classics in here, it made Sony's previous conferences insanely diverse.
- Lack of surprises. In the last 4 E3s, there's been a ton of surprises or megatons. This one was just what we've seen in every other E3 but with a bit more detail. It completely pales in comparison to other E3s. Sony better not have pulled something after MS's conference. :mad: Really disappointed at SP for not being ready to show their IP almost 3 1/2 years after their last game... I expected SP's new IP and one other big reveal for this conference, but nada. :\

I knew this conference wouldn't be in the GOAT category considering what they started out with. It wasn't a gameplay GOW IV video/SP new IP, but DLC games and then Days Gone (which is looking better than before for me after this).

I think Sony needs to rethink presentation

Banging out trailer after trailer is nice on paper but do it for a hour and everything feels the same level.

I think Ubi hit a good balance this year I think they could learn from

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Banging out trailer after trailer is nice on paper but do it for a hour and everything feels the same level.

I just caught up on it and honestly, I couldn't disagree more. The momentum was fantastic, they managed to pack so much into an hour show. Awkward developers and staged performances just drag a show down.

Its still native versus sub native, for enthusiasts who both machines appeal to then the X should hold more of that said appeal. Add in the fact it has a UHD Blu Ray drive and it ticks all the boxes for those who have a new fancy TV and want to get the most out of it.

xboxster

Great reveals like last year, but just like last year, they fail to put dates on a lot of games. I would've expected a hard date for God of War, Spider-man, Days Gone, or Detroit.

Good trailers, but disappointing overall.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
The new trailers were great, and i'm super pumped for God of War, Days Gone, Detroit, and Spiderman. I loved the Spiderman gameplay!!! Far better than i expected, day 1 for me! Shadow of the Colossus is going to be awesome too!!

Conference overall though had an almost cold feeling to it....seemed like it was rushed and there wasn't really the sense of surprise like previous ones had. It seemed obvious that they are saving alot for PSX....hopefully more of the big surprises that we were all waiting for. If anything, 2018 is going to be great as it seems all the really big exclusives are coming in 2018.

Elios83

I disagree, the formula is great.
The conference was simply too short and lacked new announcements.
It was mainly an update about GOW, Spiderman, Detroit and Days Gone.

KodaRuss

It really needed one big surprise, like a Bloodborne 2 or even a Demon's Souls remaster.

Yeah, this is me as well. DMC5, Sucker Punch or even a third party reveal like Rocksteady's next game or something.

Their big surprise was going to be Shadow of the Colossus, which leaked beforehand but it still wasnt as big as any of the others.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Also, did anyone else have a hell of a time at first for like the first 20 minutes finding a site that was streaming the conference without terrible lag and sound issues? I missed a good chunk of stuff at the beginning.

Laplasakos

Square is really something else... I mean, WTF.

Dissidia FF?
Pre-E3

Kingdom Hearts III trailer?
Orchestra

Shitty FF VR fishing game?
Press conference

Yep. I can see why KH3 was not shown at the conference (there was the orchestra event) but Dissidia announcement before the show literally makes zero sense.

Was hoping for more new IP reveals.

Why the hell didn't they show off GT Sport?!?!

The redeeming grace was Spidey.

It was a solid show, but I'm so glad I didn't go to the theater for this one.

Eylos

Banned
I didn't know Monster Hunter Was multiplat, i change my opinion of ordinary conf to bad

0 New game exclusive
1 remaster is the big New exclusive reveal, of a game that existed in 2 generations, only If you skipped both generations you havent played shadow. Its not like uncharted where a Lot of people skipped the PS3. Its a great game i love it, but its not a megaton system seller imo.

I'm not a microsoft or Nintendo fanboy, actually i only have the pspro and a Vita.

It wasn't a bad conference, but it was definitely disappointing. I really think we're heading down bad path by over emphasizing the importance of showing games instead of talking (not that last year's EA side of the spectrum is good). I'm sure Sony loves it. Showing games is easy and writing a check for marketing, exclusive content, timed exclusivity or outright exclusivity is even easier. PSN name changes, PS1 games on PS4, somehow making PSNow relevant are harder and require more long term investment. I'm honestly wondering if we'll ever get a market leader that actually tries to fight for our dollars.

Auctopus

I find it weird that people are complaining about the presentation style when it was almost identical to last year's well-loved conference. I think it was just the content people didn't like.

I agree that omitting certain games that are due out this year in favour of another dull Days Gone playthrough was a boring choice.

Wasn't bad but wasn't as great as previous. Pre-show was better IMO but I also understand why they didn't put some titles (like Ni no Kuni 2) in the main conference. I felt it started high but then everything went downhill after SotC. God of War and Spiderman boosted it but the VR block and poorly cut trailers ruined it.

Also the streams were horrible. Constant buffering and Twitch didn't have sound for the first announcements.

AndyVirus

Ni no Kuni 2 trailer
Superhot VR
Everybody's Golf trailer
Knack 2 trailer
Tropico 6 announced

You could make a case for all these being in the conference except maybe Everybody's Golf & the Playlink games bar Hidden Agenda.

Sorry guys, I'm kinda jaded right now :( Last year I got 4 'wow' moments but here I got zero. Shadow of the Colossus was close.

Kaji AF16

I thought Microsoft´s conference had been a disappointment, but Sony made a revisionist out of me.
The TLOU-influenced, third person, relatively slow, narrated-by-the protagonist blueprint is being abused (Days Gone, Horizon: ZD DLC, GOW itself).
I still prefer that to the cartoony look of several Xbox exclusives, I must admit.

The most interesting games, to me, were Spiderman (which looks incredible, even if too dependent on quick time events) and Moss (which I will never play in my entire life). No new services, no innovations.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I liked that the conference was shorter than their usual slogs, but I can't say I was all that enraptured by what they showed (Spiderman and MH aside). Their pre-show had more exciting announcements for me.

Fukuzatsu

So as for what's actually coming out this year for PS4 (exclusive and console-exclusive):

June
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy

July
FFXII: The Zodiac Age

August
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Matterfall
Yakuza Kiwami (new to western markets)
Everybody's Golf
Warriors All-Stars (new to western markets)
Dead Alliance
Absolver

September
Redout?
Knack 2
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (new to western markets)

November
Ni no Kuni II

'Fall' or Q4
Gran Turismo Sport
HZD: The Frozen Wilds
Hidden Agenda

Guess just nothing for October, or did I miss any?

Top Bottom