• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2017 Conference Thread [Over]

HvySky

After talking it over with some friends and thinking about it, this conference was fine. Sure, it had next to zero surprise announcements and was more of a confirmation that yeah, E3 2016 had some kickass reveals, but that's okay. 2017 is still stacked and 2018 is shaping up to be damn good, too.

What I do not like is the formatting that Sony uses for their presentation now. I didn't like it last year, and the issues stemming from it were even more obvious this year. The 45 minute long commercial break that Sony gave, with a relentless barrage of trailers aligned in seemingly random order, barely gives you time to breathe. The pacing was completely off, there was no flow, no rhyme or reason to how anything was shown. It was exhausting, and over in what felt like the blink of an eye. Sony should take a cue from Ubisoft, who were able to show off a decent handful of games both new and old, while having developers and presenters come out to explain what their game is, why it exists, and what we can expect. Ubisoft came off as passionate and genuine about the projects they were showing, whereas Shawn Layhden coming out on stage... once(?) came off as sterile and weird.

BHK3

Banned
We'll get hard dates at PSX. But now I wonder what they'll announce at that, same with TGS. Other then the year they announced Nioh, did TGS have anything last year?

conference was underwhelming. Just trailer after trailer
This is what they did in 2016 and many would argue it's the greatest E3 of all time.

It just didn't work this year because it's games we've seen already. This is the year maybe some of the pre-show stuff could really have been on stage. Like the whole GTS segment with Kaz talking about how the teams feels they are making GT1 again, the SuperMassive guys talking about they are running with the social segment of Until Dawn, Knack and Crash getting screen time, etc...This was an E3 that could have been more like PSX, since the AAA blockbuster games were updates, the hype wasn't there. Though they all look to be shaping up to be incredible games.

pr0cs

It was a struggle to watch, but not surprising considering the tight focused ship they ran the last two years.
Next e3 should be really interesting from both Sony and Microsoft

RulkezX

Thought it was a pretty dull show overall. The lack of any new stuff from both MS and Sony was a real disappointment. Add this in with the rate at which even cool looking Indies seem to be skipping Switch and this has been the worst E3 in quite a while.

Pejo

Nothing against Shawn Layden, but I miss Uncle Jack and Kaz on the stage for Sony's conferences.

As far as my thoughts, I couldn't believe how bored the crowd looked. I thought Monster Hunter and SotC remakes looked fantastic and they blew me away. Spider Man looks solid, and it was pretty much non-stop games.

My negatives - God of War combat looks really boring, I'm really bummed about it. I'll still get the game I guess, but it's still a big downer for me. Detroit looks...I don't know...underwhelming? I'm not sure what I expected there, but I feel like I've seen this story 1000 times already and I haven't even played the game yet. MvC:I looks awful. The art mainly. Still no Asura.

Overall a good conference, but I was really hoping for a big shocker surprise like DMC5 or Bloodborne II.

Nothing against Shawn Layden, but I miss Uncle Jack and Kaz on the stage for Sony's conferences.

As far as my thoughts, I couldn't believe how bored the crowd looked. I thought Monster Hunter and SotC remakes looked fantastic and they blew me away. Spider Man looks solid, and it was pretty much non-stop games.

My negatives - God of War combat looks really boring, I'm really bummed about it. I'll still get the game I guess, but it's still a big downer for me. Detroit looks...I don't know...underwhelming? I'm not sure what I expected there, but I feel like I've seen this story 1000 times already and I haven't even played the game yet. MvC:I looks awful. The art mainly. Still no Asura.

Overall a good conference, but I was really hoping for a big shocker surprise like DMC5 or Bloodborne II.

These are my thoughts exactly. That crowd did not help Sony at all. God of War I will get but the combat looked off compared to previous titles. Was expecting at least one surprise IP to be announced.

Shawn is fine in my eyes (Jack and Kaz were awesome though) but otherwise pretty spot on with how I feel.

I really expected Sucker Punch to at least tease us.

Square is really something else... I mean, WTF.

Dissidia FF?
Pre-E3

Kingdom Hearts III trailer?
Orchestra

Shitty FF VR fishing game?
Press conference

They shouldn't be allowed to run another conference ever again, complete stupidity.

So while it was good, it just looks bad when you compare it to Sony's E3s from 2013-2016. Those were in the 9.5-10 category and this one was just pretty good. Some issues I had:
- As stated above, why the fuck is Knack 2, NNK2, GT Sport, and FF Dissidia not shown on the best, free marketing platform in the world? They're games that are coming out this year. Seriously, it boggles the mind how stupid this was. Who said this is a good idea during the marketing meeting to green lit it? "You know what'a a great idea.. lets not show all these games coming out this year during the biggest press even in the world. We don't want people knowing too much about these games." I'm dumbfounded how fucking stupid this strategy was.
tumblr_o39x2fzeQc1tk48vko1_400.gif

- Time. Again, another dumb mistake by whoever ran this. The mentality seems to be "it's passing the time limit. Lets structure our show on an arbitrary specific time instead of basing it on the games we actually have." COD I didn't know was an MP trailer until I went on gaf. Why not go through a 6-9 minute gameplay trailer explaining it? Why not do the same for Battlefront II?
- Indies, where art thou? It looks like Sony doesn't give a shit (as much) about indies anymore. I see Ori 2 and Cuphead on MS's conference, where are the indies for Sony ffs? Real disappointed to not see some classics in here, it made Sony's previous conferences insanely diverse.
- Lack of surprises. In the last 4 E3s, there's been a ton of surprises or megatons. This one was just what we've seen in every other E3 but with a bit more detail. It completely pales in comparison to other E3s. Sony better not have pulled something after MS's conference. :mad: Really disappointed at SP for not being ready to show their IP almost 3 1/2 years after their last game... I expected SP's new IP and one other big reveal for this conference, but nada. :\

I knew this conference wouldn't be in the GOAT category considering what they started out with. It wasn't a gameplay GOW IV video/SP new IP, but DLC games and then Days Gone (which is looking better than before for me after this).

I know right. Like what the fuck are some of these publishers smoking? There's actually a ton of games Sony could of easily shown instead of cutting the conference to 1 hour (for no real reason) that would of benefited both the games and the conference.

Surprised no GoW demo but the trailer was amazing.

Briarios

So as for what's actually coming out this year for PS4 (exclusive and console-exclusive):

June
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy

July
FFXII: The Zodiac Age

August
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Matterfall
Yakuza Kiwami (new to western markets)
Everybody's Golf
Warriors All-Stars (new to western markets)
Dead Alliance
Absolver

September
Redout?
Knack 2
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (new to western markets)

November
Ni no Kuni II

'Fall' or Q4
Gran Turismo Sport
HZD: The Frozen Wilds
Hidden Agenda

Guess just nothing for October, or did I miss any?

God Wars comes out this month for PS4 (and Vita), though I may be the only one who cares ...

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
The reaction to this show would've been a lot different if the pre-show didn't exist. There are some good titles, both niche and wide appeal, scheduled for this year alone (GT, NNK2, etc), yet they were relegated to a shoddy pre-show. It's also unfortunate just how poorly constructed this conference was, almost as if it were put together at the last minute with the production being handled by the lowest bidder.

That was possibly the worst Sony show I've ever seen.

They need to stop bringing that guy on stage to speak. He is terrible. Comes across like an uncomfortable creep.

They also need to stop cutting to shots of the crowd. Almost every time they cut to that crowd, a lot of people were just shrugging and looking bored.

As far as the games, it was fine, but is it just me or does every exclusive Sony game look the same visually? Not bad in any way, but it's just something about them.

SOTC was awesome, but everything else seemed fine to ok.

Had high hopes for spider-man, but it seems too scripted and the QTEs seemed terrible.

Please Sony. I know a few random weirdos care about VR, but put that shit in a montage. We don't need extended trailers for every single VR game including Final Fantasy 15 Bro Fishing.

Everything they showed seemed like it was for 2018. That's one they Sony has always been notorious for. That's where I give Microsoft credit. They bad a pretty meh show as well, but they didn't show almost all 2018 games like Sony.

Somnia

I almost feel like E3 is becoming an after thought, conference wise, for Sony. PSX is where they will focus on really hyping up fans going forward.

E3 will still be huge obviously, but I think they'll save most of their "omg" moments for PSX now.

Everything they showed seemed like it was for 2018. That's one they Sony has always been notorious for.

I believe E3 isn't showcasing about games that will release within a short period. They do this to create a momentum(hype for some) and name recognition for a game. It works, and Sony knows that. I agree with you at some extend, FF7:R for example is years away…

paulogy

So as for what's actually coming out this year for PS4 (exclusive and console-exclusive):

June
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy

July
FFXII: The Zodiac Age

August
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Matterfall
Yakuza Kiwami (new to western markets)
Everybody's Golf
Warriors All-Stars (new to western markets)
Dead Alliance
Absolver

September
Redout?
Knack 2
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (new to western markets)

November
Ni no Kuni II

'Fall' or Q4
Gran Turismo Sport
HZD: The Frozen Wilds
Hidden Agenda

Guess just nothing for October, or did I miss any?

Nothing for October, but I have some you didn't list. Lawbreakers, MatterFall, Hellblade, etc.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
158.gif

But you gotta make Sony look really really strong.

I feel this conference was a let down, not by comparing it to the last 2 which were phenomenal but conferences in general. The live performances this time, meh. The games they showed off we have seen before. The 1 hour pre-show was a waste. If anything that 1 hour preshow should have had all the VR games on it and save Ni No Kuni, Crash, GT Sport etc for the main show. I was shocked the show ran a lil less than an hour I believe.

Also what turned me off a little was lack of new content that we havent seen, plus I would have loved to see some new gameplay from god of war not just in a trailer.

The whole "sony may have pulled something because of microsft" argument is stupid, why? Why would you pull your own content because of what another developer does. The point is to show off what you have, Sucker Punch not showing up is odd as hell to me.

RPGamer92

Banned
Looking back, I'm surprised there wasn't a Battlefront 2 trailer in there. Also disappointed Bluepoint is working on SOTC and not something like Shenmue 1+2 HD/

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Looking back, I'm surprised there wasn't a Battlefront 2 trailer in there. Also disappointed Bluepoint is working on SOTC and not something like Shenmue 1+2 HD/

I was surprised at the lack of Battlefront 2 as well. It's like Sony left an entire third of its conference at home, it's so strange.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
That was possibly the worst Sony show I've ever seen.

They need to stop bringing that guy on stage to speak. He is terrible. Comes across like an uncomfortable creep.

They also need to stop cutting to shots of the crowd. Almost every time they cut to that crowd, a lot of people were just shrugging and looking bored.

As far as the games, it was fine, but is it just me or does every exclusive Sony game look the same visually? Not bad in any way, but it's just something about them.

SOTC was awesome, but everything else seemed fine to ok.

Had high hopes for spider-man, but it seems too scripted and the QTEs seemed terrible.

Please Sony. I know a few random weirdos care about VR, but put that shit in a montage. We don't need extended trailers for every single VR game including Final Fantasy 15 Bro Fishing.

Everything they showed seemed like it was for 2018. That's one they Sony has always been notorious for. That's where I give Microsoft credit. They bad a pretty meh show as well, but they didn't show almost all 2018 games like Sony.

pX8sydt.gif

Why does everyone forget about Hidden Agenda. :(
It's coming 2017 too!

That game is looking sweet tho.

Who did Layden shout out at the end of the conference again?

Rad-

Might be just my gaming tastes but I thought that was a really bad conference. Like 3/10 level. The only game I'm hyped for the rest of this year is FFXII TZA.

Overall the whole E3 was weak-ish. Anthem was my game of the show.

Upinsmoke

I was prepared for an underwhelming conference tbh

Usually there's more hype, there just wasn't any. And then they opened with UC Lost Legacy, i'm sure it's gonna be fun and looks good graphically but i just knew from that second it was going to be a weak showing.

What really puzzled me was nobody was on stage talking a little bit about the games. It was trailer after trailer and it just didn't flow.

I've never been a big fan of Shawn Layden, however seeing him in the suit as opposed to t-shirt with some tease on felt off too.

It just felt like they wasn't that bothered about the presentation at e3 this year. That was my overall feel of it.

I hope someone is reading this thread @ Playstation because the general consensus is it was pretty bad, felt lazy, rushed etc and honestly a little resting on your laurels vibe sprung to mind.

Now that I've had some time to sleep on it, I still think this was bad for a press conference. No new announcements combined with the trailer after trailer format just made everything feel lazy and boring. While I appreciate the focus on games, people are tuning in for a "presentation" as well. Microsoft lacked announcements too, but they at least provided a hook, a reason for people to listen. I like that. Sony needs to strike a better balance.

That said Sony's games are on another level entirely and they know it. If you had asked me before Sony's conference yesterday what my game of E3 was, I would've told you Anthem. Now, it's either God of war, days gone, Spider-Man or Anthem. Let that sink in lol. Sadly that still doesn't make for a wonderful press conference. Hopefully they nail it next time.

Lemondish

This is what they did in 2016 and many would argue it's the greatest E3 of all time.

It just didn't work this year because it's games we've seen already. This is the year maybe some of the pre-show stuff could really have been on stage. Like the whole GTS segment with Kaz talking about how the teams feels they are making GT1 again, the SuperMassive guys talking about they are running with the social segment of Until Dawn, Knack and Crash getting screen time, etc...This was an E3 that could have been more like PSX, since the AAA blockbuster games were updates, the hype wasn't there. Though they all look to be shaping up to be incredible games.

The funny part was that everybody complained about last years showing games that were "so far away", so they cut it to games that were coming really soon and now people complain about not seeing any new games.

There is no way for Sony to make a perfect conference, it seems. Somebody is going to find a reason to bitch about it, and there's no shame felt.

Like this year I'm seeing a lot of issues about how they didn't talk enough, whereas when they had like 2 minutes of talk in prior years it was too much.

Thought it was good. Uncharted, God of War, SotC and Spider-Man were amazing, especially GoW but I felt it needed new games/IPs to spice things up more.

I didn't like Detroit's showing -- last year's was better. And Days Gone seemed good although I'm concerned at its striking resemblance to tlou. Surprised Sony greenlighted it. I'm worried it'll come off as bland.

Elandyll

Banned
Now that I've had some time to sleep on it, I still think this was bad for a press conference. No new announcements combined with the trailer after trailer format just made everything feel lazy and boring. While I appreciate the focus on games, people are tuning in for a "presentation" as well. Microsoft lacked announcements too, but they at least provided a hook, a reason for people to listen. I like that. Sony needs to strike a better balance.

That said Sony's games are on another level entirely and they know it. If you had asked me before Sony's conference yesterday what my game of E3 was, I would've told you Anthem. Now, it's either God of war, days gone, Spider-Man or Anthem. Let that sink in lol. Sadly that still doesn't make for a wonderful press conference. Hopefully they nail it next time.

I keep seeing that, and even though I thought the show was ultimately disappointing compared to what it could have been, it's just not true.

* Monster Hunter World had its (muted) world premiere, with gameplay.
* The VR section introduced several new games, including The Inpatient, an Until Dawn prequel by SuperMassive
* The Shadow of the Colossus remake should have been a megaton, if someone on Reddit hadn't spoiled it
* The Horizon Zero Dawn Dlc was hoped, but not known. Also coming in 2017

The Pre Show also had Hidden Agenda, which is supposedly a 2017 title.

But

No Dreams
No RDR2
No BF2
No Far Cry 5
No Hellblade
No Ni No Kuni 2
No GTS
No Dissidia
No From (supposed to have another title with them)
No SuckerPunch

... Fishing in FFXV in VR ...

And no dates for GTS, Detroit, Days Gone or HZD dlc which were all majorly fronted (one way or another)

a5ede265077954e911767b29a246c0ae.gif

I'm not disappointed that there were no new BIG first party games shown. Sony has blown their load the last two years and are finding themselves in a bit of a bottleneck. They have quite a few announced games that have yet to release, so adding even more just makes a mess.

Honestly- they needed a bit of a down year @ E3 to start catching up, IMO.

As of next E3, a few big releases (GT, Uncharted, God of War, and Detroit) will be on the market. Spidey and Days Gone should be getting 'final' trailers or whatever assuming one will release in the fall and one will be released (delayed?) to Spring '19. I expect a heavy dose of TLoU2, but with those released games now off the table they can start showing 2018/2019 games, like a new FROM/Japan Studio collaboration or Sucker Punch's new project.

What DID disappoint me was just the overall lack of communication. I know everyone wants GAMES, GAMES, GAMES NONSTOP but I was actually hoping for some details on some of these games during the show. It also disappointed me that some cool announcements (like Undertale and Hidden Agenda) were just shuffled away into the pre-show. There's a fine line between satisfying content and bloat, but putting these games, plus Everybody's Golf and GT Sport, into the actual show wouldn't have hurt I don't think.

I'd give the show a 8/10. The footage of the big games on the way was great and exactly what I was looking for. SotC was a legitimate surprise. Overall it was smooth, albeit short, but it just needed a bit more padding. Not every year can be A-Bomb drops.

Zukkoyaki

The show probably would have been better received with just some shuffling of it and the pre-show's content along with a little bit more on-stage talking from Shawn Layden where he introduces the next segment. Something like:

- Opening montage
Shawn: Here's games from worldwide studios
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
- Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds
- Gran Turismo Sport
- Hidden Agenda
- Days Gone
- Detroit: Become Human
Shawn: Next wave of PSVR games
- Skyrim VR
- FFXV: Monsters of the deep
- Bravo Team
- StarChild
- Moss
- The Inpatient
Shawn: The biggest games from our third party partners
- Monster Hunter World
- Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
- Call of Duty: WW2
- Destiny 2
Shawn: And the biggest blockbuster exclusives anywhere
- God of War
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Spider-Man

It wouldn't have felt like a YouTube playlist, you would have had an extra cool announcement (Hidden Agenda), showed that they DO have some stuff coming in 2017 (those first four games), and the announcements would have been sprinkled through the show better. And this is without including anything that wasn't shown yesterday.

JP

Some really good games shown again this year.

The only real downside for me was that it was so short, particularly when they announced so many other games outside of the conference. maybe an extra thirty minutes on some of the other games with a couple of developers spending a few minutes talking about them would have sorted that out.

It would have also been nice to have seen a couple of the demos actually being played live as happened last year.

I do think it was a really entertaining show that was probably made to look slightly worse due to what people have come to expect from Sony at these shows. Not as good as the last couple of years but still really bloody good.

I was overall good with their showing. I like the lack of too much talking, but I can agree that they should have structured it a bit better. Last year felt like it did a better job of this. I know everyone wanted a huge shocking announcement (though I was pretty shocked by Shadow remake) but it feels like they probably don't have much secret stuff left. Isn't Sucker Punch the last major first party studio that we don't know what they're doing? What I did see game wise I thought they did a good job of showing off (though I wish they showed a bit of the open world mechanics of Spiderman, but they have time to do that).

I'm curious how much they held back in order to show stuff off at PSX, or the next E3. It didn't blow my socks off, but I still enjoyed seeing the stuff they showed off. God of War is looking amazing.

bennibop

Personally thought it was a good not great conference
I feel they shot themselves in the foot with the Pre conference show with sid shuman as they announced loads of games and release dates (including gts, knack 2, that's me, ni no kuni and others) and this has not been watched by most people. They should have include.in the show and run there would be no moaning.

Still think they have done a much better job than Microsoft who gave us no reason to upgrade as no real exclusive exist and lacks diversity

Was pretty lacklustre.

I am glad that I love SotC and Uncharted otherwise I'd have been super bummed to have stayed up.

SotC is game of the show, but I'm just a sucker for that.

Volcane

I just caught up with the conference.

I liked the look of God of War, Detroit and Spiderman. Nice remake of Collosus, I never got around to completing it on PS3.

But apart from VR games and SotC remake, I thought that, It could've done with at least one major new exclusive game announcement.

Fbh

OK, I had seen some summaries and seen some of the trailers but when I got home I watched the whole thing.

They showed some cool games for sure but overall I'd say this was a pretty bland conference. I like how Sony is all about the games and I fully agree that this what companies should focus on, BUT this was hardly a conference. This was basically Sony renting a stage to show 60 minutes of trailers. If this was live or some pre recorded Nintendo-direct style thing it would have made absolutely no difference. I know people can sometimes complain about some segments being "cringy" but I still think E3 is the moment of the year when I want to see a dev on stage talking about his game, a passionate indie dev presenting his project or a creative director walking us through a live a demo.

Showing trailer after trailer might work when you re-revealing The Last Guardina, announcing a FFVII remake or launching a kickstarter for Shenmue 3. But when you don't really have any reveals it just feels uninspired.

As for the games:

Days Gone: I sort of still struggle to see why they made this. A post apocalyptic zombie game with sealth elements about a morally ambiguous main character? Don't we have The Last of Us for that?
It didn't look bad though and I liked how you can use the zombies to aid you. But I was hoping they would show more cool scenarios built around giant zombie hordes which seem to be the one thing setting this game apart

God of War: Looks like a completely different type of game than all previous entries in the franchise. But it does look fucking amazing and its easily one of my most anticipated games right now

Monter Hunter World: Trailer was pretty bad but a Monster Hunter game with good presentation and on current gen consoles and PC does sound cool. Would be amazing if it had cross play

Spider Man: Loved the first part of the demo. Environment interactions seem cool and the combat looks really fun. The second part though? QTE's??... Really?
Scripted moments were obviously going to be a part of this but I was hoping for Uncharted like real time set pieces. QTE's is just really dissapointing and them thinking this was a highlight scene to show makes me worry for the game.
Also, spiderman is the one character where having him talk random shit during gameplay would make sense and he seems pretty serious and lacking humor.

SOTC: Looks amazing. I still can't believe it's not just a remaster but an actual remake. It's been years since I played this and I can't wait to do so again once this comes out.

Detroid: Still think this looks interesting. The writing isn't great but I like the concept and if the choices really are as varied as they appear in these trailers this should be really fun

AerialAir

Banned
Ni No Kuni 2 got a Nov 10 release date too.

That looks so close on the horizon and yet there's a lot about that game which I don't get yet, so, the enemy tribe performed a coup d'état, I get that, I get we're supposed to get it back. What I don't understand is why there's a need to "explore" the world and kill everything in sight, I'd be thankful if someone who has this story clearer could explain it to me.

munroe

So the PlayStation conference was at a ridiculous time in the UK so I'm just catching up now, and my word, is it tough to keep my attention, they're definitely not one for showmanship

It feels like I'm watching a playlist of trailers

Lol at the crowd shots, most of the time they don't look particularly interested

Endo Punk

I think they need to try another format or go back to the old. Maybe last year had more surprises so I didn't notice it as much but I prefer a little breather after a reveal, get a Dev out and let them talk about their game for a minute. This constant trailer after trailer with little to no flow is really not doing it for me anymore.

Awful show. So dull, terrible production, really awkward transitions between games. One of Sony's worst - felt amateur.

In terms of the games, some good stuff, but not really many new amazing ones.

Very disappointing.

Top Bottom